Acura TL Type-S is Back

Bimmer325

Posted ImageAcura TL Type-S is back

Performance model returns after three-year absence

The 2007 Acura TL enters the midsized luxury market with revised exterior and interior styling, an improved nav system and the re-introduction of the Type-S performance model.

The Type-S features 286 horsepower (256 lb ft) from a new 3.5-liter V6, and includes a re-tuned suspension and S specific exterior styling and interior trim.

[...Read More]

Posted Image

Guest YellowJacket894

Aw... is someone afraid of a little torque steer? :P

178478[/snapback]

The only thing I'm afraid of is that those 286 horses will steer me into the grille of a Mack truck. Or maybe even a "GMC-Volvo."

On another note, I actually do like the taillight clusters. But really not much else.

I don't really like the wheels, and I think the car would look much better in black (silver is so boring). Overall, it looks good and I'll bet it's very fast. They revised the suspension and transmission, I'm sure torque steer isn't as bad as you would think, although still there. I'm surprised AHM did this, it's not like them at all to offer two different engine sizes on the same model.

The best thing about this is it means there's a good chance of a TSX Type S coming out, even though it has already received its MMC. They could tune that K24 to put out 220hp or even 230hp. Then it would really scream.

The TL has lost it's sizzle, and this does nothing to bring it back. Why does it take Acura more time to come up with a mildly higher performing variant of a vehicle when Cadillac, BMW, MB, and Audi take only about a year to make a super-high performance variant?

If this was a GM, it'd be "too little, too late" (as some are already saying the LaCrosse Super is, and I agree), and I sure hope the media thinks the same about this poor effort.

The TL has lost it's sizzle, and this does nothing to bring it back. Why does it take Acura more time to come up with a mildly higher performing variant of a vehicle when Cadillac, BMW, MB, and Audi take only about a year to make a super-high performance variant?

If this was a GM, it'd be "too little, too late" (as some are already saying the LaCrosse Super is, and I agree)

First of all. This isn't a "super-high performance" model. It is designed to add to an already great performing car, and merely help bridge the price and performance gap (mostly price) between the TL and RL. And no, it didn't take them 3 years to develope the engine that is in it or make the other tweaks (it is essentially a lower version of the 3.5L RL engine). They're probably releasing this trim level now to keep TL sales going strong for the rest of its model cycle. Up until now, there hasn't been a need to sell more TL's (and there still isn't really). This trim is a solid addition to the lineup and will help keep the TL selling at or above 6,000 a month until its FMC.

First of all. This isn't a "super-high performance" model. It is designed to add to an already great performing car, and merely help bridge the price and performance gap (mostly price) between the TL and RL. And no, it didn't take them 3 years to develope the engine that is in it or make the other tweaks (it is essentially a lower version of the 3.5L RL engine). They're probably releasing this trim level now to keep TL sales going strong for the rest of its model cycle. Up until now, there hasn't been a need to sell more TL's (and there still isn't really). This trim is a solid addition to the lineup and will help keep the TL selling at or above 6,000 a month until its FMC.

178544[/snapback]

Umm, I said that it wasn't a super high performance model. I said it was mildly higher performing and took longer than other brands' high performance models to get to market.

The problem with adding it now is that no one will notice it. If they would have released it a year after the original TL, then it would have kept the momentum going for longer, but they didn't.

If it didn't take them 3 years to develop the engine then it's even dumber that it only is getting it now. That's like GM not putting the 3.6 in the G6 for the first two years even though it was available.

now it can compete w/the ES350.

178985[/snapback]

The ES is a woman's car. The TL with 3.2L beats it squarely (by about a full second 0-60), I'm sure the 3.5L will rip it a new one. I always wondered why the TL always gets compared to the RWD IS350 instead of the FWD ES350, and I'm sure the TL will continue to get compared with the IS, rather than the ES. I'd expect the 3.5L sport-tuned Type S to knock a few tenths off that 0-60 time, and probably a lot more in the 1/4mi.

The TL is one of the few FWD cars that I really like and would actually buy..I've test driven them a couple times, would make a great daily driver..I like the exterior styling (esp. in dark gray or dark blue), the interior design, and the availability of a manual transmission.

The ES is a woman's car. The TL with 3.2L beats it squarely (by about a full second 0-60), I'm sure the 3.5L will rip it a new one. I always wondered why the TL always gets compared to the RWD IS350 instead of the FWD ES350, and I'm sure the TL will continue to get compared with the IS, rather than the ES. I'd expect the 3.5L sport-tuned Type S to knock a few tenths off that 0-60 time, and probably a lot more in the 1/4mi.

179040[/snapback]

the TL's a woman's car. :)

Blah. Torque-steer.

Excuse me while I find my enthusiasm.

178288[/snapback]

I agree, Acuras are buzzkill, esp. the ones with super-cheesy rear emblems.