2006 Toyota RAV4

The current RAV4 has a bit of character....this new one is adhering to the Toyota bland agenda. I thought I read that they were sensitive to the bland label and were going to change that?. This vehicle defines blah. I hope Toyota keeps going in this stylistic direction...people will eventually nod off.

This is good news for GM. If Honda makes the next CR-V bigger as well, the compact (as in current RAV4 size) X-Over market will be gobbled up by the sub-Thetas.

[post="13239"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, totally, this looks Highlander sized. Looks like the next Highlander will be Pilot/OUTLOOK-sized, then. I expect larger unibody utes to become more and more popular.

Well, I DO like it....it's conservative, but I think way more handsome than a Highlander..... I wonder what the interior is like (I'll see it in Frankfurt I guess....) The deal-sealer, however, could be the new optional V6. I've heard that the new RAV-4 will offer the Avalon's 280hp 3.5L V6 as an option. If that's true, it will be a class-leader by FAR.

Well, I DO like it....it's conservative, but I think way more handsome than a Highlander.....

I wonder what the interior is like (I'll see it in Frankfurt I guess....)

The deal-sealer, however, could be the new optional V6.  I've heard that the new RAV-4 will offer the Avalon's 280hp 3.5L V6 as an option.  If that's true, it will be a class-leader by FAR.

[post="13354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

WHAT? Argh, I thought Toyota was trying to "help" GM. At least it's 268 hp now.

By the way, be sure to post pics of Frankfurt. Lucky you!

There's no way the new Rav4 would use the Avalon V6. That would make it more powerful than the V6 Highlander and 4Runner. If Toyota does what you heard, I'd be blown away. If anything, it will be the 3.3L V6 used on the Highlander, Camry, ES330, etc.

It's getting the 3.5L w/268HP. From Toyota:

Performance was key in redesigning the 2006 RAV4. Its optional , class-leading 3.5-liter VVT-i V6 engine has an astounding 268 horsepower, which is more than some larger SUVs with V8s. The standard powertrain has also been improved, boasting a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with VVT-i and 166 horsepower, making it a leader in power in the small SUV segment. Add improved fuel economy to the mix, and you've got one compact SUV to be reckoned with.

Both the four-cylinder and the V6 will have available Electric On-Demand 4WD and manual 4-wheel lock switch to ensure all-road capability, no matter how steep, wet, icy or unforgiving the road.

The RAV4's ride and handling is significantly improved, thanks to a new platform, which includes redesigned suspension, coupled with a new electronic power-steering system.

That power for this cute ute is fearsome. I think Toyota is weeding out the 3.3 liter engine, so this 3.5 liter engine will see more common duty. I'm surprised that the 2006 Sienna did not get this engine, but maybe next year when the Camry and ES350 supposedly get it.

Wow, I am really surprised.  The only reason for the huge differences in power, I'm going to guess, is to make sure there's room for a 4-cylinder hybrid.

[post="13427"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I'm thinking...

The Camry will probably have similar powertrain choices: 4-banger, 4-banger hybrid, and V-6.

That power for this cute ute is fearsome.  I think Toyota is weeding out the 3.3 liter engine, so this 3.5 liter engine will see more common duty.  I'm surprised that the 2006 Sienna did not get this engine, but maybe next year when the Camry and ES350 supposedly get it.

[post="13436"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

2006 ES330
218 hp @ 5,600 rpm, 236 lb-ft torque @ 3,600 rpm
21 city/29 highway mpg
on 91 octane

or
2006 Avalon
268hp, 248lb-ft
22/31mpg
on 87 octane

The 3.3L just doesn't cut it anymore.

Pretty uninspired, I like the Tunda grille but it's a bit "grafted on". Although it's kind of ugly and not very cohesive it still looks better than the 1st & 2nd generations. The Rav4 has always been an ugly stepchild to the Corolla IMO.

The new RAV4 really isn't that big, it just looks big. It only grew 5.7 inches.

Some info and pics from Autonews:

By Dave Guilford
Automotive News Europe / September 13, 2005

FRANKFURT -- Toyota will load an integrated drive control system into its new RAV4, due next spring in the United States.

The RAV4 gains 5.7 inches in length to reach 169.9 inches. The wheelbase grows 2.8 inches to 100.8 inches.

The RAV4 also includes a fold-flat system for rear seats to increase storage.

More: http://europe.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=8710

Pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I once saw an older RAV4 that got rear-ended. Because the vehicle didn't have a real rear bumper, the external spare took the brunt of it, and the result was not pretty. The silver RAV4 with the external spare looks a little bit longer than the dark gray one. Notice the longer side window in the cargo area.

I once saw an older RAV4 that got rear-ended.  Because the vehicle didn't have a real rear bumper, the external spare took the brunt of it, and the result was not pretty.

[post="13915"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Doesn't it end up busting up the rear glass?

Also, as far as the length difference, is there truth to the rumor of a 3rd row?