BrewSwillis

Toyota's hybrid SUV short on quality

13 posts in this topic

A Highlander Hybrid review.

The hybrid system functioned smoothly, although my fuel economy of 20.6 m.p.g. over the about 400 miles of mixed city and highway driving fell far short of the 31 m.p.g. city and 27 m.p.g. highway mileage the Highlander achieved in EPA tests. But then most hybrids' real-world fuel economy falls well short of EPA projections.

http://www.freep.com/money/autoreviews/phe...1e_20050811.htm

Then some people sent him letters to justify why his mileage sucked. Sounds like these people are using voodoo to get high mileage in their hybrids.......or they are just making up figures so they don't look like idiots for spending a bunch of extra money on a hybrid:

http://www.freep.com/money/autoreviews/mai...8e_20050818.htm

I am glad to see this is just another "Toyota press release" article. Real world driving conditions never produce the same results that the EPA or any other testing facility come up with. Still, GM is losing the PR war by not having any TRUE hybrids on the market yet, or available any time soon. Everyone in the business knows that buying a hybrid at this point in time is more about APPEARING to do the "right thing," rather than actually ACTUALLY saving money. The Toyota hybrid compared to an Equinox would most likely end up costing a lot more money (even at $3 a gallon) to operate when up front costs and maintenance are factored in. And there is also (horrors) the eventual legacy cost of replacing or refurbishing the batteries and other electronic components. Those of us who live in the Great White North are curious to see how long the batteries and components will actually survive in our conditions.

I am glad to see this is just another "Toyota press release" article.  Real world driving conditions never produce the same results that the EPA or any other testing facility come up with.
  Still, GM is losing the PR war by not having any TRUE hybrids on the market yet, or available any time soon.  Everyone in the business knows that buying a hybrid at this point in time is more about APPEARING to do the "right thing," rather than actually ACTUALLY saving money.  The Toyota hybrid compared to an Equinox would most likely end up costing a lot more money (even at $3 a gallon) to operate when up front costs and maintenance are factored in.  And there is also (horrors) the eventual legacy cost of replacing or refurbishing the batteries and other electronic components.
  Those of us who live in the Great White North are curious to see how long the batteries and components will actually survive in our conditions.

[post="13110"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is what I keep trying to tell hybrid fans. Besides the insanly high purchase cost compared to non-hybrids, the electrical system will be CRAZY EXPENSIVE to repair, parts and labor. I would not buy a new hybrid, but I REALY would not buy a used hybrid.
What I don't understand is why dosen't GM push their Euro-diesel engines. They are a plain engine that gets close to hybrid-like gas mileage. I know that there are government regulations and what-not, but I think GM is missing a BIG opprotunity. They are much closer to building a cleaner deisel engine than a hybrid system. I might be wrong but I think that Euro-diesels have to be cleaner because of their enviromental laws, so the engines from GM Europe should almost be US ready, if not already. It's sad that VW is really the only company taking advantage of this right now, and the funny thing is that their diesels are really the only thing good going for them right now.

Its pretty clear that the hybrids now are driven predominately by image and status and those really interested in good fuel economy will simply buy a low-output Civic, Corolla, Focus, or Aveo with a stick or a TDI VW.

You really just have to be driving an enormous gas hog to see real-world fuel savings by switching to a hybrid, and the savings are even harder to justify when you already own a vehicle. I must laugh at the stupidity of these people in articles quoted as trading in an already bought-and-paid for Suburban, Tahoe, Sequoia, whatever for a hybrid. Just park your truck and buy a cheapo economy car for commuting.

Idiots.

The whole hybrid thing is such a bunch of windowdressing by auto companies to look ecologically correct and make people feel a false smugness in being so considerate of the enviornment....just a load of crap. No one will get a payoff either, because any gas savings are eaten up by the extra cost of the vehicale.

and they'd better have a helluva good recycling plan in place for those batteries. I can't imagine anything more toxic than those batteries filling landfill sites everywhere!

and they'd better have a helluva good recycling plan in place for those batteries.  I can't imagine anything more toxic than those batteries filling landfill sites everywhere!

[post="14807"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know where is this misconception came from but the hybrid batteries are lithium-ion and are recyclable. (i.e. non-toxic)

...buying a hybrid at this point in time is more about APPEARING to do the "right thing,"....

Good God; who has time for bullsh!t like that??

I'd get one just for the single occupancy HOV lane and parking meter exemption. This applies to CNG Civics, too, but natural gas prices are rising. Diesel is typically 30-40 cents more per gallon than regular unleaded and pollutes more, unless you use biodiesel, which is even more expensive. At the moment, hybrid technology makes the most sense in luxury cars, because it can boost power and reduce consumption for the equivalent price of a V8 upgrade.

Try these same items in a "normal" car you will achieve the same results. The reason my wife and I get 40+mpg out of our Cobalt? We don't floor it, we drive the speed limit, we coast when possible, etc. Funny that if driven "normal" hybrids can't get their EPA rating, but when a normal car is driven like they suggest you drive a hybird it will get hybird like gas mileage ratings.

I wouldn't want to be stuck behind you, dsuuper!

Try these same items in a "normal" car you will achieve the same results.  The reason my wife and I get 40+mpg out of our Cobalt?  We don't floor it, we drive the speed limit, we coast when possible, etc.  Funny that if driven "normal" hybrids can't get their EPA rating, but when a normal car is driven like they suggest you drive a hybird it will get hybird like gas mileage ratings.

[post="15716"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It works to a greater extent with hybrids because of the regenerative charging.

I'm with Dsuupr on this one: If you baby the Ecotec, she'll produce phenominal gas mileage for you. Unfortunately, I've owned a Camaro once during my lifetime--and my pedal foot as developer an afinity for the floorboards. It's been almost 15 years since I sold my 1979 and I still haven't been able to shake the habit. I guess it would help if I actually tried once and a while. Anyways, my Ecotec-powered Malibu has fetched 36.x mpg on two different fill-ups (car is driven about 75% freeway, 25% city and roughly half of my freeway use is of the stop-and-go rushhour variety). The key appears to be keeping the vehicle around 55mph-60mph (duh!). I've always been curious just what the vehicle can top out at if I just set the cruise control at 55mpg and picked a direction on the freeway. I've no doubt that the Cobalt can achieve similar, if not greater fuel economy than what I've gotten with my 'bu. Edited by cmattson

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor