Flybrian

Lincoln MKS will not have a V-8

Lincoln V-8 axed

Ford halts engine plan for flagship MKS

Ford Motor Co. has killed plans to put a V-8 engine in its future Lincoln flagship sedan. The 4.4-liter V-8, a version of a Yamaha engine used in the Volvo XC90 crossover, was slated to power the Lincoln MKS beginning in 2008.

-----------

Blurb from automotive news. Blurb only because I'm not paying $1,523,455.99 for fifteen days' access to Automotive News.

And another nail in the Lincoln coffin.

Bill Ford! Add Lincoln to the list of Ford brands of which I need to be put in charge. I'll take Jaguar, Mercury and Lincoln...since your people obviously can't do it.

Edited by Hudson

not that I'm a great fan of Lincoln these days.... but without more information one cannot properly deride them.

Perhaps they're taking a lexus route.

V6 base

V6 performance hybrid as a V8 replacement.

And another nail in the Lincoln coffin.

Bill Ford! Add Lincoln to the list of Ford brands of which I need to be put in charge. I'll take Jaguar, Mercury and Lincoln...since your people obviously can't do it.

182885[/snapback]

If only the Ford family would ever let something like that happen. :(

not that I'm a great fan of Lincoln these days.... but without more information one cannot properly deride them.

Perhaps they're taking a lexus route.

V6 base

V6 performance hybrid as a V8 replacement.

182888[/snapback]

Lexus still offers a V8, though... (the GS has V6, V6 hybird, and V8 models)

Four score and seven years ago Ford brought

forth Lincoln to compete with Cadillac, upon

this continent, a luxury car, conceived in

liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that

"Lincoln will never be equal to Cadillac"

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Lincoln's a sad case... I don't know if they can be revived. Unfortunately, their best and most memorable designs were 40+ years ago.

Wow, there's a bold move. Didn't learn from Acura, eh? Sad to see this company dwindle down to a running joke of business missteps...

How hard can it be to reskin a S80?

182921[/snapback]

try reskinning it on a Lord and Taylor level, with a G.C. Murphy Co. budget.....

I think there's more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Some quotes from the topic at BON:

Well that isn't too unexpected, but this adds fuel to the fire that we'll see a twin turbo 3.5L V6 in its place.

The other thing is that this also means that MKS will not be Lincoln's flagship car (it will be if the TC goes away by default, but recent news has suggested that the TC will goto STAP)

The 4.4 has been cancelled for some time now. This is old news. The 3.5 twin turbo mule has been around for a good bit as well in an F-150. Packaging and production components have been approved.

QUOTE(robertlane @ Aug 21 2006, 10:07 AM) *

There is a new V-8 coming out soon (will have news this week) - it might find itself in the MKS.

This was hinted at by a FoMoCo regular on AW's board...and he clammed up hard when asked about it.

C'mon Robert...look at the name of your site, and give some of us bleed-Ford-blue types something BESIDES the slew of recent bad news!

Someone, last winter, told me to expect big powertrain news this summer........

Thats what they get for CHEATING by useing a NOSE HEAVY FWD BASED VOLVO platform instead of DEVELOPING ONE DOMESTICLY THEMSELVES for a REAL RWD BASED LINCOLN! They are KILLING their PANTHER cars leaving only their MUSTANG as the only TRUE FORD in their car lineup!------SERVES THEM RIGHT! <_<

The car is a Japanese wannabe anyway. And its not like Lincoln has an idea in hell of what its doing anymore. As I said, its your 94-year-old grandpa who mutters to himself and &#036;h&#33;s on the rug.

Thats what they get for CHEATING by useing a NOSE HEAVY FWD BASED VOLVO platform instead of DEVELOPING ONE DOMESTICLY THEMSELVES for a REAL RWD BASED LINCOLN! They are KILLING their PANTHER cars leaving only their MUSTANG as the only TRUE FORD in their car lineup!------SERVES THEM RIGHT!  <_<

182959[/snapback]

They had the chassis to use for lots of new, distinctive, RWD models but they chose to just do 3 models on it and priced 2 outta the three out of the market. The chassis was DEW98, the models Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jag S-type. All 3 of which are still good cars in their segments but the Tbird was to high priced and not enough performance. The S-type I believe is doing OK in its market. And the LS just wasn't touched after they first designed it. A larger V8 only Town Car replacement would have done quite well IMO on DEW98.

Heck the only hope I think Ford has right now for world class RWD products outside of PAG is Ford Aus and is Falcon series.

Guest YellowJacket894

A little "Eulogy" for Ford...

"So long,

We wish you well,

Told us how you weren't afraid to die,

Then so long,

Don't cry,

Or feel too down..."

:D

I didn't think this was gonna be flagship anyways? I thought it was a little smaller than the Town Car.

You all are going to skewer Lincoln no matter what they do...it's lose-lose. If they ran only on a V8 you'd hear people talk about Lincoln not having a clue when it comes to fuel economy, and since they're going for the V6 you hear the purists saying that it should be a RWD V8 because all of the chauffeurs need to smoke their rear tires at stoplights. You know, all those Town Car drag races and stuff.

And besides, doesn't it make sense to emulate what the class leaders are doing? If Lexus is doing well with six cylinders, then wouldn't you expect that Lincoln would take notes?

I just don't see why everyone gets so wrapped up in the number of cylinders. What if we took the argument elsewhere:

"Lincoln has never had 6-speeds under its hoods...they'll lose their identity if they put it in the MKS."

"If Lincoln were to try to develop an 8-speed transmission they'd blatantly turn it into a Lexus wannabe."

"Lincoln has always had land yachts that get 6 MPG! Even THINKING about a hybrid powertrain would meant that they turn their backs on their American heritage!"

I dunno. Everyone wants to kill Bill Ford and commandeer the Lincoln division, but how would putting a V8 into the lineup (which would probably only account for 20 percent tops of MKS sales?) save the vehicle and the marque?

I didn't think this was gonna be flagship anyways? I thought it was a little smaller than the Town Car.

You all are going to skewer Lincoln no matter what they do...it's lose-lose. If they ran only on a V8 you'd hear people talk about Lincoln not having a clue when it comes to fuel economy, and since they're going for the V6 you hear the purists saying that it should be a RWD V8 because all of the chauffeurs need to smoke their rear tires at stoplights. You know, all those Town Car drag races and stuff.

And besides, doesn't it make sense to emulate what the class leaders are doing? If Lexus is doing well with six cylinders, then wouldn't you expect that Lincoln would take notes?

I just don't see why everyone gets so wrapped up in the number of cylinders. What if we took the argument elsewhere:

"Lincoln has never had 6-speeds under its hoods...they'll lose their identity if they put it in the MKS."

"If Lincoln were to try to develop an 8-speed transmission they'd blatantly turn it into a Lexus wannabe."

"Lincoln has always had land yachts that get 6 MPG! Even THINKING about a hybrid powertrain would meant that they turn their backs on their American heritage!"

I dunno. Everyone wants to kill Bill Ford and commandeer the Lincoln division, but how would putting a V8 into the lineup (which would probably only account for 20 percent tops of MKS sales?) save the vehicle and the marque?

183080[/snapback]

Good post.

A V8 would be nice, but I think a twin-turbo V6 would be equally good. An hp number of 360 has been thrown around if twin-turbocharged...much better than the 315 hp that the 4.4L was supposed to make. Personally, I'm not worried about Lincoln...Ford has told us diddly squat about Lincoln product plans, so people throw out wild speculations and keep predicting the demise of the brand. The media eats it up because it makes a great story and adds fuel to the fire along the way. We didn't even know about the Shelby GT until a couple weeks ago, so who's to say Ford isn't keeping quiet on Lincoln?

The IS350, the MKS's logical competitor, doesn't have a V8 and no one bitches about it. A twin-turbocharged V6 with AWD would give the MKS a unique identity in the market. And no one knows what's going on with the RWD platform, so who's to say the MKS is even going to be the flagship?

IMO, there's so much speculation that no body knows what's actually going on. For every armchair CEO that thinks Lincoln is dead in the water, there's another armchair CEO that sees hidden potential. Until it comes from the horse's mouth (FoMoCo), I'm going to keep the assumption that Ford knows their product plan a hell of a lot better than we do.

Edited by mustang84

Good post.

A V8 would be nice, but I think a twin-turbo V6 would be equally good.  An hp number of 360 has been thrown around if twin-turbocharged...much better than the 315 hp that the 4.4L was supposed to make.  Personally, I'm not worried about Lincoln...Ford has told us diddly squat about Lincoln product plans, so people throw out wild speculations and keep predicting the demise of the brand.  The media eats it up because it makes a great story and adds fuel to the fire along the way.  We didn't even know about the Shelby GT until a couple weeks ago, so who's to say Ford isn't keeping quiet on Lincoln?

The IS350, the MKS's logical competitor, doesn't have a V8 and no one bitches about it.  A twin-turbocharged V6 with AWD would give the MKS a unique identity in the market.  And no one knows what's going on with the RWD platform, so who's to say the MKS is even going to be the flagship?

IMO, there's so much speculation that no body knows what's actually going on.  For every armchair CEO that thinks Lincoln is dead in the water, there's another armchair CEO that sees hidden potential.  Until it comes from the horse's mouth (FoMoCo), I'm going to keep the assumption that Ford knows their product plan a hell of a lot better than we do.

183135[/snapback]

360HP would be quite nice.

Everyone thinks Lincoln is dead because of the product they've put out recently: MKX, MKZ, Navigator, and MKS. None of them seem to be near class-leading.

The IS350 is way smaller than the MKS. The MKS is probably even bigger than the GS, but it's not on the same level as them anyways. I see it as more of a Lucerne competitor.

The IS350, the MKS's logical competitor, doesn't have a V8 and no one bitches about it. 

183135[/snapback]

Why is the IS350 the MKS's logical competitor? One is a small RWD sport sedan, and the other is a large FWD luxury sedan (unless you meant ES350, which I thought was the MKZ's logical competitor). I see the more expensive Lucernes as the MKS's competitors. When the Lucerne and DTS go RWD in about 4 years, the MKS may have the large FWD luxury market to itself.

This news reminds me of Evok's old thread "The Death of the V8." I am impressed with what I have read about Ford's new V6, but I'd take a 300C over an MKS.

360HP would be quite nice.

Everyone thinks Lincoln is dead because of the product they've put out recently: MKX, MKZ, Navigator, and MKS. None of them seem to be near class-leading.

The IS350 is way smaller than the MKS. The MKS is probably even bigger than the GS, but it's not on the same level as them anyways. I see it as more of a Lucerne competitor.

183146[/snapback]

They may not be class-leading per se in things like performance, but they're hardly uncompetitive. Besides, none of those models are even on sale yet, so how can we even begin to judge how they will perform in the market?

It seems like everybody is jumping the gun so quick to dismiss them, either from a bias against Ford or based simply on subjective things like styling. We don't even know all the facts yet about what the MKS will actually consist of, yet people are already crying for the axe to come down on Lincoln because it looks "too Japanese" (never mind that Ford hasn't even released images of the production model yet, which MF got a hold of) and it supposedly won't have a V8 (all we know is that the 4.4L was cancelled...who's to say there isn't something else under the wraps?).

No wonder Ford doesn't appear to stand a chance...people rip them apart before official information is even released!

This is not as bad as it seems. With PEAK OIL hitting hard in the next few years it'll be 1979 all over again with even luxury buyers looking for better fuel economy. A V-8 is nice but the new 3.5 V-6 tuned a little higher for Lincoln will do more than just fine. Of course, Ford saves a bunch of coin in the process. Good move.

but I'd take a 300C over an MKS

The 300 has a so so interior and a not-so-plush ride. I should know having driven a 300 about 3000 miles recently. Without having even sat in in the new Lincoln, there's no doubt that the MKS will feel far more luxurious in every way than any 300 available now.

i could get on board with q twin turbo v6. Yet the 4.4 v8 is ready and good, so what's the deal? this must also mean the v8 500 is dead too. But maybe the v8 shows up in a model 'above' the mks.

ford is so rudderless seemingly.