No Cayenne for 2007

No Cayenne for 2007

Posted Image

Stuttgart's highly profitable and extreme divisive SUV will not be making itself available during the 2007 model year. Porsche claims that the redesign, which debuts in Detroit and will be available in late 2007, is the major reason for the stoppage. However, the Cayenne's sales have been sliding south for close to two years and an overabundance of product may be giving the company pause.

Editor's Question: Business decision or act of mercy for the souls who've had their eyes tortured for so long?

Read "Porsche Cayenne dropped for 2007" @ Autoblog

Who cares, except for empty headed loaded soccer moms?

am i the only person who really doesn't think the design is terrible?

(though I do like the touareg better)

183073[/snapback]

People who want to see Porsche financially stable care.

185829[/snapback]

It's more the idea of a Porsche SUV that makes me sick. The design is not the problem. Porsche could have gone "practical" in a lot of ways without resorting to an SUV. I'd rather see a Porsche sedan, personally. I feel it would be less of a departure from the Porsche spirit.

No matter which route Porsche went, they were going to need VW, and we know how great the Phaeton was.  Plus when the Cayenne was being worked on and when it came out, SUVs were hot and people were willing to pay a premium for them.

While the Phaeton was a great car, did you mean Touareg?

No, I guess I could have said it more clearly. Porsche was going to need to bum a platform off VW for an SUV or a sedan and in hindsight its probably a good thing that they didn't rebadge a Phaeton. It wasn't a commercial success in the states (though the Toureg hasn't been either) so its hard to imagine Porsche having long term success selling a car that VW no longer sells here.

I don't feel Porshce would have rebadged the Phaeton anyway.

Too heavy, too luxury oriented, and its styling would have had to be radically changed.

And then powerplants, would it have similar engines as those in the Cayenne? Like the crazy turbocharged V8 in the Turbo S model?

Even if Porsche had used the Phaeton, I guarantee pinheads would have ponied up for it because of the Porsche badge. It's how they are able to sell the Cayenne itself. It's all about the lable.