Here is the detail on the Diesel

jrockb4

The new turbodiesel was developed to fit several different vehicle families, said Charles Freese V, GM executive director of diesel engineering. It fits into an engine compartment the same size as GM’s current small-block V8, which is used in vehicles ranging from the Chevrolet Corvette sports car to the huge Cadillac Escalade ESV luxury SUV.

Mmm.... CTS-D

:ohyeah:

More info on GM's new Light-Duty Diesel

GM to Introduce New Light-Duty Diesel for North America

High-efficiency V-8 scheduled for pickup trucks under 8,600 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight

MILFORD, Mich. - General Motors Corp. will introduce a new V-8 turbo-diesel that improves engine fuel efficiency by 25 percent for North American light duty trucks after 2009.

The premium V-8 diesel is expected to deliver class-leading torque, power and refinement while maintaining a significant fuel efficiency advantage over comparable output gasoline engines.

The new dual-overhead cam, four-valve V-8 diesel engine will fit within the same space as a small-block V-8 gasoline engine. This compact size is made possible by using an integrated air system and narrow block.

"This new GM light duty diesel is expected to become a favorite among customers who require excellent towing ability and fuel efficiency," said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Powertrain. "It will meet the stringent 2010 emissions standards, and it will be compliant in all 50 states, making it one of the cleanest diesel vehicles ever produced."

Environmental benefits of the new engine include a 13-percent reduction in CO2 versus gasoline engines, and at least a 90-percent reduction in particulates and NOx compared to diesel vehicles today. This will be GM's first engine to use a NOx after-treatment system with a diesel particulate filter to help achieve the Tier 2 Bin 5 and LEV 2 emissions standards.

Technical highlights of the engine include aluminum cylinder heads with integrated manifolding, compacted graphite iron (CGI) block for a strong engine base and fracture-split main bearing caps and connecting rods for a precise fit. A high-pressure, common-rail fuel system is used, which has the ability to inject fuel five times per combustion event to control noise and emissions.

GM (Opel, Saab, Vauxhall, GMDAT, Isuzu and Suzuki) currently offers 17 diesel engine variants in 45 vehicle lines around the world. GM sells more than one million diesel engines annually, with products that offer a range of choices from the 1.3L four-cylinder diesel engine sold in the Opel Agila and Corsa, up to the 6.6L V-8 Duramax diesel sold in full-size vans, heavy duty pickups and medium duty trucks in the U.S.

GM introduced the Duramax diesel 6.6L V-8 in the U.S. in the 2001 model year and since then, customer enthusiasm for this heavy duty diesel has been outstanding.

I didn't click the link :oops: so... is there any mention of a diesel V6?

185790[/snapback]

:banghead: Is anyone ever happy for the news we do get on this board without asking for more? It like you guys are a bunch of spoiled brats! This is big news and it shows the GM does not have it's head up it's ASS as so many of you had stated when the other article came out and mentioned nothing of diesels...now we have the news we all wanted - and yet you want a V6 version. Come on, can we not just enjoy the news without the next question flogging at us?

:banghead: Is anyone ever happy for the news we do get on this board without asking for more?  It like you guys are a bunch of spoiled brats!  This is big news and it shows the GM does not have it's head up it's ASS as so many of you had stated when the other article came out and mentioned nothing of diesels...now we have the news we all wanted - and yet you want a V6 version.  Come on, can we not just enjoy the news without the next question flogging at us?

185802[/snapback]

1. I am happy with the news

2. I only asked a question

EDIT - 3. I like asking questions

Edited by ZL-1

185808[/snapback]

Bad ZL-1 :lol: I just get exasperated by what seems to be a complete and utter impatience by people on this board and the speed in which the Gerneral moves. Hey, I want this stuff to get her yesterday just like the rest of you - but I want it here right not just right now!

I was talking with Scott about the Camaro vs the Challenger and how quickly DCX will be getting that car to market - and he was somewhat upset by the demands on how slowly the Camaro seems to be progressing compared to the Challenger. People - we are starting out with a clean sheet design here with the Camaro - just as these Diesels need to be tested and EPA certified before releasing them on the market ( we do not need another 70's/80's GM Diesel problem at this juncture) Designing and building the entire car with all of the subsystems and packaging and certifications take time. 2 years is a blink in a product cycle. You will see new Camaro's on the lots before you know it. (It takes us a year to develop and get a piece of bakery equipment right for the market - and we do not have to crash test a mixer at 40 mph - so two years for a complete car is pretty reasonable)

GM will release other motors to us when they feel it is time to do so. Yeah, it seems like a snail's pace compared to how the world moves these days, but be patient!

Now - why did I write all of this? Because I read last week about one ofthe posters on this board complaining that GM had no diesel program and they were going to miss out on $40k in his business because of it. Be patient people - good things are coming (no, I do not know more than anyone else on this board about future products) Just what I see on t.v. and what I gleen from conversations with people in the know.

185819[/snapback]

:lol:

I do like to ask questions, especially now that I'm on the verge of deciding my Masters thesis' subject. Something related to the Auto Industry is very likely at this point!

Most people, inlcuding myself, are a little impatient because they know GM has the potential to build world-class/class-leading product. There's no bad will towards GM: we all just want GM to deliver as soon as possible ;)

Edited by ZL-1

let's mate this diesel to a hybrid...!

it says all 50 states, but the whackos in california will just find a new way to keep diesels out of their state by 2010.  I guarantee it.  then the whackos in the east coast will follow.

185856[/snapback]

Yeesh, don't remind me about CA enviro-politics. We got an assembly bill AND a ballot proposition out right now that are going to destroy this state (billions in taxes and ridiculously-stringent emissions requirements, both of which will cause skyrocketing energy and gasoline/diesel costs.) Makes me wish I could move the whole damned family to an interior state where overzealous enviro-whackos don't own the government.

The Feds ought to standardize emission control standards, fuel blends, etc across all 50 states...to hell with this piecemeal approach.

Edited by roadwarrior

The Feds ought to standardize emission control standards, fuel blends, etc across all 50 states...to hell with this piecemeal approach.

185925[/snapback]

as long as it's not using CA as it's basis! i've heard that oregon maybe worse in some respects..?

<_< Trust me, living in seattle I love, but we have way to many *&%$# Tree Hugging, Granola Munchin Hippy Enviro Nuts that have taken California emissions standards and took them status quo and made them even worse. :( Both Oregon and Washington thought WOW, CA is good but we can make it better and all they really did was *&%#$(@ up the process and cause more problems than it is worth.

Example, If you take a old Leaded Burning auto and put in a modern engine running unleaded, according to the NEW NEO SS of washington, you can be fined, imprisoned and your auto taken and destroyed due to it no longer being true OEM.

:duh: What morons these people are! :banghead:

<_<  Trust me, living in seattle I love, but we have way to many *&%$# Tree Hugging, Granola Munchin Hippy Enviro Nuts that have taken California emissions standards and took them status quo and made them even worse. :(  Both Oregon and Washington thought WOW, CA is good but we can make it better and all they really did was *&%#$(@ up the process and cause more problems than it is worth.

Example, If you take a old Leaded Burning auto and put in a modern engine running unleaded, according to the NEW NEO SS of washington, you can be fined, imprisoned and your auto taken and destroyed due to it no longer being true OEM.

:duh:  What morons these people are!  :banghead:

186237[/snapback]

:blink:

Wow... first California, then Oregon and now Washington?! Sounds like a trickle deal... looks like my province will be next. :(

This is awesome news, only if Diesel were priced lower than gas.

186322[/snapback]

why does that matter?

diesel costs less per mile even though cost per gallon is higher.

put it this way,

would you rather spend $20 a week on gasoline in a car with a 350 mile range?

or $25 every other week on diesel in a car with a 700 mile range?

Yes!

This is what I mentioned in some other thread, and is good news, and should be spread.

I can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

185808[/snapback]

Remeber one thing tho,

People may only THINK that you are a fool, .......

until you open your mouth and prove it!

:deadhorse: