Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

Toyota

55 posts in this topic

So sad, Toyota appears to be manufacturing poor quality vehicles...and I thought they were perfect, I cry. Feds investigate possible wind deflector glass defect on Scion tC HARRY STOFFER | Automotive News Posted Date: 9/14/05 WASHINGTON -- Toyota has launched and sold 200,000 units of three Scion vehicles in just over two years without a safety recall. But that achievement may be in jeopardy. Federal safety officials said last week that they are stepping up an investigation of wind deflectors on the sunroofs of 2005 Scion tC coupes. Some deflectors have shattered, showering glass on vehicle occupants. "These occurrences may pose a risk of driver distraction and personal injury," says a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report. The agency and the automaker have received eight complaints of broken deflectors. Toyota Motor North America Inc. told NHTSA of 37 warranty claims that may be related to the problem. Toyota says its research found no flaw in design, manufacturing or assembly. The automaker suspects the deflectors are being broken by airborne debris. Toyota spokeswoman Ming-Jou Chen declined further comment. NHTSA's upgrading of a defect investigation in this way, from a preliminary evaluation to an engineering analysis, often is a prelude to a recall. More than 60,000 tC coupes are on the road. In another newly upgraded investigation, NHTSA is trying to determine whether there is a safety defect in the release lever for the second-row seat in 2004 Nissan Quest minivans. More than 65,000 of the vehicles are in service. NHTSA says it and Nissan have reports of 11 injuries to people's hands after using the lever. The agency says Nissan has changed the handle's design twice during production. The current handle is larger than previous ones. It has a cup-shaped design, into which fingers fit. Nissan North America Inc. says no injuries have been reported from the latest version of the handle.

Some deflectors have shattered, showering glass on vehicle occupants.

These occurrences may pose a risk of driver distraction and personal injury

Pardon my French, but NO SHIT SHERLOCK...

While others are giving Toyota a pat on the back and a gentle "There-there" I'd like to kick the sand in their eyes and go for the throat. That's what they did in the 1980s. :)

What? Toyota has problems too? If I were the friendly giant (GM) I would start to brethe again!

The agency and the automaker have received eight complaints of broken deflectors. Toyota Motor North America Inc. told NHTSA of 37 warranty claims that may be related to the problem.

Toyota says its research found no flaw in design, manufacturing or assembly. The automaker suspects the deflectors are being broken by airborne debris.

Funny how this "airborne debris" seems to be targeting the wind deflector of the Scion tC specifically.

:ph34r:

-RBB

Funny how this "airborne debris" seems to be targeting the wind deflector of the Scion tC specifically.

:ph34r:

-RBB

[post="14098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They couldnt find a way to pin that on the owners I guess.

Toyota says its research found no flaw in design, manufacturing or assembly. The automaker suspects the deflectors are being broken by airborne debris. Toyota spokeswoman Ming-Jou Chen declined further comment.

I also found this line to be especially funny. Of course toyota researchers will NOT find anything wrong, and it is obviously crap flying up and shattering thise deflectors, just like on the... oh yeah, I've never heard of that happening to another make.

While we're on the subject of the TC... have you noticed that scion (toyota) is so cheap that, while they designed a cover for a CHMSL spanning the license plate area only the center of it lights up!

While we're on the subject of the TC... have you noticed that scion (toyota) is so cheap that, while they designed a cover for a CHMSL spanning the license plate area only the center of it lights up!

[post="14108"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Toyotas are so cheap it is not funny. That is why the have so few problems, there is nothing there to have problems.

That Ion interior is real rich, isn't it cremazie?

Point taken, however Saturn does not have a holier than though complex and obnoxious attitude.

Exactly.....Toyota has an almost mythical reputation for quality and it get's annoying. I love it when they are exposed.

Exactly.....Toyota has an almost mythical reputation for quality and it get's annoying.  I love it when they are exposed.

[post="14232"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's not like it's an unearned reputation. It's not that they don't have problems, it's that on average they have less than most of their competitors. For instance (and please don't take this as trying to downplay this recall), my mother bought her 1999 RX300 brand new and to this day the largest issue she's had is a dead battery.

For instance (and please don't take this as trying to downplay this recall), my mother bought her 1999 RX300 brand new and to this day the largest issue she's had is a dead battery.

[post="14234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I can say the same about my 2000 Camaro SS

(knock on wood!)

It's not like it's an unearned reputation. It's not that they don't have problems, it's that on average they have less than most of their competitors. For instance (and please don't take this as trying to downplay this recall), my mother bought her 1999 RX300 brand new and to this day the largest issue she's had is a dead battery.

[post="14234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ditto with my father's 2000 Bonneville. Literally, the lead was too loose and disconnected from the battery. But beyond that, an ineffectual OnStar module recall, and pitted chrome wheels that were replaced upon delivery, zero non-accident-related problems.

Of course, the Bonnie is one of those crappy, chintzy, overwrought cars that embarass the rest of GM...:rolleyes:

Exactly.....Toyota has an almost mythical reputation for quality and it get's annoying.  I love it when they are exposed.

[post="14232"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh give me an EFFING break.....

You guys are all jumping on Toyota's back because of a WIND-DEFLECTOR PROBLEM?

Wow......please learn how to pick a meaningful battle.....

Toyota has earned it's reputation as the quality leader, and even GM admits it and admits they're trying to beat them. The only myth about Toyota is that they have superior products to everyone else, which is not the case; we have the media to thank for that myth. It's not all that impressive that the xB and xA haven't had any recalls because (correct me if I'm wrong) they've been on sale for at least 2-3 years in Japan and probably got the problems worked out. That's like GM importing say the Century to another country and it magically having no recalls, even though it probably did here. We'll see what happens with the tC.

1999... that's irrelevant. Pretty much still a new car. How many miles?

6 years? Practically a new car? Well then, I guess my parent's newer new car car, a 2000 Blazer, should be more trouble free than it, right? Hahaha... Yeah right. Talk about piece of shit. Seriously, you have a problem.

1999... that's irrelevant. Pretty much still a new car. How many miles?

[post="14420"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How is that a new car? Maybe compared to your 68 Camaro.

Our 1998 Silhouette was basically falling apart when we got rid of it.

Until GM beats Toyota in initial and long term quality, we have nothing to laugh at Toyota about. It's this kind of thinking that got GM where it's at, "Oh, our toughest competitor just took a step back, we should too." :rolleyes:

Toyota has earned it's reputation as the quality leader, and even GM admits it and admits they're trying to beat them.

The only myth about Toyota is that they have superior products to everyone else, which is not the case; we have the media to thank for that myth.

It's not all that impressive that the xB and xA haven't had any recalls because (correct me if I'm wrong) they've been on sale for at least 2-3 years in Japan and probably got the problems worked out. That's like GM importing say the Century to another country and it magically having no recalls, even though it probably did here. We'll see what happens with the tC.

[post="14415"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

THANK YOU. Toyota has earned it's reputation, and anything "mythical" that some of you people talk about is thanks to the American media, they tend to exaggerate everything :angry: .

Nobody's perfect, so I really don't understand why some members have an almost obsession or perception that Toyota is "perfect". I've never heard anyone saying Toyota is perfect, even in the media, so I don't understand where some people get these delusions.

This issue is being taken far too serious ... a wind deflector problem, where Toyota has only received a total of *gasp* 8 complaints. Yet when a moderately serious domestic recall appears, it seems like business as usual on certain boards like this, or simply "oh thank god *insert Big 3 here* recalled this problem when they did, something Toyota wouldn't do" or anything along those lines.

I mean if this was an actual recall, then I would give some of you guys at least a bit of credit. But this is simply an investigation, which is nothing compared to say the Ford investigation for it's cruise control switches.

And of course, everyone conveniently ignores the investigation about the Quest ... because it's not a Toyota :rolleyes:

I'm no expert, but I think some of this extreme Toyota bashing may have to do with a lot of repressed jealousy and resentment over Toyota's success and reputation.

6 years? Practically a new car? Well then, I guess my parent's newer new car car, a 2000 Blazer, should be more trouble free than it, right? Hahaha... Yeah right. Talk about piece of shit.

Seriously, you have a problem.

[post="14431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What is your deal? Relax.

I would have to agree with Sixty8 in this case. A 6 year old car is not an old car. I wouldnt expect to have many problems with a car made in 99, but I wouldnt buy a Blazer either. We did have a 6 year old Explorer with 130,000 miles and all it needed was a wheel bearing. And it was a Ford. It was also a rental before we bought it, with 60,000 miles after being one year old. And I almost forgot, it got oil changes every 15,000 miles, sometimes longer.

And a six year old car isn't a "practically new" car either... As for the Blazer... I wouldn't buy one either. They're crap. I think my 10 year old GA is more reliable than that POS. It'll probably be my parents last Chevy because of this... And there's nothing I can do/say to convince them otherwise. BTW, our non-rental Blazer has only 58,000 miles... Explain that.

Oh give me an EFFING break.....

You guys are all jumping on Toyota's back because of a WIND-DEFLECTOR PROBLEM?

Wow......please learn how to pick a meaningful battle.....

[post="14408"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How many people jumped on the Cobalt because the headlamp glass busted in two (2) vehicles? How many jumped on GM for having 'most NHTSA complaints filed' even though a good proportion of them include major factory defects like 'SEATS ARE UNCOMFORTABLE', 'CD PLAYER SKIPPING', and a whole lot of "unintended acceleration into a stationary object" incidents?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0