Edmunds Evaluation: 2007 Acura TL Type-S

Variance

Edmunds Evaluation: 2007 Acura TL Type-S

Posted Image

All this outstanding competence is undeniable. There is no question that the TL Type-S is the best TL ever, and it's more car than most entry-lux buyers would ever need or expect. It delivers an astonishing amount of performance and equipment, some of which is unavailable in the competitors, for a price that'll at least rattle the cages of the rear-drive faithful.

Read "Full Test: 2007 Acura TL Type-S" @ Edmunds

honda must have stopped writing checks and gone direct deposit now into edmunds bank account.

i actually like it, except it looks like a punk boy racers car. No class on the exterior. The dash is a bit busy, but otherwise this is likely the consumate FWD car.

IOW, the perfect car for me in some aspects, except I don't like its Hondaness and the fact that it screams rice.

And if the SSV was here in Pontiac form (w/ AWD where i live) I wouldn't even give a sht about this car. The market wouldn't either.

But the good part is for FWD fans there is at least a handful of offerings that are not ashamed ot say 'not everyone wants RWD'.

Edited by regfootball

I'm not sure I like the visual updates to the car. The weakest part of the TL previously was the steering, and it apparently has had some major work there. I wouldn't buy this car for $34K. I'd prefer to spend a lot less and get an Accord or a little more and get an Infiniti G35 or a CTS.

i actually like it, except it looks like a punk boy racers car.  No class on the exterior.  The dash is a bit busy, but otherwise this is likely the consumate FWD car.

IOW, the perfect car for me in some aspects, except I don't like its Hondaness and the fact that it screams rice.

So get the base model, which has nicer rims IMO. And in black:

Posted Image

Looks a lot better and classier than the current BMW 3, as well as most of its competition.

And if the SSV was here in Pontiac form (w/ AWD where i live) I wouldn't even give a sht about this car.  The market wouldn't either.

The current TL already offers a lot of car for the money, and this update is supposed to add even more features. I doubt a Pontiac would be cross-shopped with this often, let alone steal sales from it.

Btw, has anybody here compared the TL to the CTS (features, price, mpg, etc)? All I have to say is ouch for Cadillac...

Btw, has anybody here compared the TL to the CTS (features, price, mpg, etc)? All I have to say is ouch for Cadillac...

190869[/snapback]

$39k and you still get:

The only time we noticed the steering affected by the throttle was at the very top of both 1st and 2nd gear under full throttle.

And the base TL gets 20/29 compaired to the CTS's 18/27..... I'm willing to bet that the TL-S drops to about the same as the CTS.

But still, that doesn't address the most glaring thing.... this is Acura's performance model and your compairing it to a mid-level engine CTS. This is Acura's answer to the CTS-V....

And no giving Acura a pass because it costs $10k less than the V. No one gives the $49k CTS-V a pass when it comes in 1/10th a second slower than the $80k M5, so Acura doesn't get one either.

I doubt a Pontiac would  be cross-shopped with this often, let alone steal sales from it.

190869[/snapback]

ok, are you on crack?

if the SSV Grand Prix were here not only does it have RWD, and a 360+ hp v8 and is better looking, its also a better value.

and the CTS is a HELLOVA lot more appealing car than the TL.

$39k and you still get:

And the base TL gets 20/29 compaired to the CTS's 18/27..... I'm willing to bet that the TL-S drops to about the same as the CTS.

But still, that doesn't address the most glaring thing.... this is Acura's performance model and your compairing it to a mid-level engine CTS. This is Acura's answer to the CTS-V....

And no giving Acura a pass because it costs $10k less than the V. No one gives the $49k CTS-V a  pass when it comes in 1/10th a second slower than the $80k M5, so Acura doesn't get one either.

190917[/snapback]

I was comparing the current base model 06 TL to the current CTS. I don't think Acura was targetting the CTS-V with the TL Type S. The CTS-V comes with an engine almost twice the size of the regular CTS, and a price tag almost double as well. The Type S is only a small amount faster and more expensive than the base TL by comparison. Although that isn't saying they won't get compared to each other. The Type S will probably hold its own, but is no match for a V8 RWD car that weighs about the same.

I was comparing the current base model 06 TL to the current CTS. I don't think Acura was targetting the CTS-V with the TL Type S. The CTS-V comes with an engine almost twice the size of the regular CTS, and a price tag almost double as well. The Type S is only a small amount faster and more expensive than the base TL by comparison. Although that isn't saying they won't get compared to each other. The Type S will probably hold its own, but is no match for a V8 RWD car that weighs about the same.

190975[/snapback]

so... then why is Cadillac going "ouch" again?

$39k and you still get:

And no giving Acura a pass because it costs $10k less than the V. No one gives the $49k CTS-V a  pass when it comes in 1/10th a second slower than the $80k M5, so Acura doesn't get one either.

190917[/snapback]

It does, however, still cost $2,000 less than the '07 Sport I just picked up....and it's got alot more horsepower.....

(I still like my car better though......)

I was thinking about this, the TL-S does not compete with the CTS-V at all, but instead competes with the CTS Sport model.

Look at it like this:

2.8L CTS base model - 3.2L TL base model

3.6L CTS Sport model - 3.5L TL Type S model

If you compare prices, they are very similar as well. So no, the Type S is not Acura's answer to the CTS-V. I don't think Acura needs to worry about it either, as it's probably a small percentage of the total CTS sales.

so... then why is Cadillac going "ouch" again?

Maybe they aren't literally going "ouch", but if you compare the features and specs offered at each price point (the CTS has a lower base MSRP, but comes less equipped), you'll find the TL offers quite a bit more at the same price.

If there was ever a place that Acura's SH-AWD would rightly be at home, it would be underneath the skin of this TL. It almost saddens me to see such an otherwise competitive car hampered by FWD. For the same money, I'd take a G35, IS300 or CTS instead.

And the base TL gets 20/29 compared to the CTS's 18/27..... I'm willing to bet that the TL-S drops to about the same as the CTS.

Close. The Type S is rated at 19/28. Better mileage and 31 more HP than the 3.6L CTS engine. Just for reference the RL, with essentially the same engine, but AWD and 400lbs higher curb weight, gets 18/26.

I would like to see the 3.7L engine put into the RL, tuned to 310hp or so. Breathe some more performance into that thing.

If there was ever a place that Acura's SH-AWD would rightly be at home, it would be underneath the skin of this TL.

You can almost bet on that for the redesign. But if they do, they better make the 3.5L engine standard, or maybe even the 3.7L for a Type S model. The AWD system will add quite a bit of weight.

ok, are you on crack?

if the SSV Grand Prix were here not only does it have RWD, and a 360+ hp v8 and is better looking, its also a better value.

and the CTS is a HELLOVA lot more appealing car than the TL.

190970[/snapback]

Hm going to have to disagree with you there. Since we're talking appearances here, neither one of us is truly correct over the other. In my eyes the CTS's looks are just not appealing in any form whatsoever. The design doesn't look refined thanks to its oddly proportioned taillights and rear(which is my biggest strike against the car) and the front is just decent looking.

I would never buy a current-gen CTS, used or otherwise. I just purely think its an ugly car, which we all have our own lists of, this Cadillac just happens to be on mine. The SSV GP is really nice and I already would take one over the current CTS. Taking one over TL, well it would depend on price which I haven't seen yet. Most importantly though are the driving dynamics, which I'm sure would be rocking with the SSV.

Maybe the Next-Gen CTS will be a much greater improvement over its predecessor, from the spyshots the interior seems to be a lot better already. Let's hope they fix the outside too.

No, the question should be, are you on crack? Why not just buy a Mitsubishi Evo and be done with it? I mean, 4 doors, 300HP, radio, A/C, 4WD......what more do you want?

191200[/snapback]

because I have plenty of penis already thanks....

You can almost bet on that for the redesign. But if they do, they better make the 3.5L engine standard, or maybe even the 3.7L for a Type S model. The AWD system will add quite a bit of weight.

191088[/snapback]

Sign me up for a new TL with the 3.5 and SH-AWD. As long as they offer it with an MT (hopefully that is possible).

The TL is one of the few FWD cars I'd consider buying..I've test driven them a couple of times..I love the interior and the fact I can get a 6-speed manual. The exterior looks great, esp. in profile and from the rear, IMHO.

As far as the Evo, yeah, they are fast, but the interior looks cheap and the exterior looks too cartoonish, IMHO (not as bad as the hideous Subaru WRX Sti, though).

Edited by moltar

STSv XLRv

192093[/snapback]

The TL interior makes the STS-V interior look like it came out of a base model Silverado. And this is comparing a studio STS-V shot vs a real life TL shot.

STS-V

Posted Image

TL

Posted Image

Edit: I found a better pic of the STS interior. I can't believe Cadillac put that other one on their website, it looks so depressing.

STS

Posted Image

Edited by siegen

On the TL, my cousins own one, and it's not bad. I'm not a big fan of them, one of the reasons is because I see quite a few.

However, it's pretty likely that I see a lot of TL's because they are an excellent vehicle in both execution and in performance, especially in their category, and pricewise, very competitve with Mercedes' and BMW's.

Design wise, I prefer the CTS because it makes a statement. The TL in my opinion has more of a "sleeper" look to it, and that's fine as well. Besides... I'd rather see these being sold than those IS350's...

TL's can be a good buy especially if you're comparing them to 3series or baby MBs, I'm glad the Type S is back.

I love the TL but it wasn't in my budget when I went car shopping last year.

I do have to agree with the earlier comment on Acura's interiors, they are nice!