Honda chief rules out V-8 engine, for now

Guest Josh

Does GM make any aluminum block V8's?

[post="14756"][/post]

Wow.... just, WOW! I knew some Ricer fans were ignorant of GM's history and technology but this is a shock.

Here's some GM cars that are powered by ALL aluminum V8s.

1962 Buick Special (read the ad copy)

Posted Image

Posted Image

In 1964 Oldsmobile had the all aluminum 215 AND it was available TURBOCHARGED!

Posted Image

IN 1969 Chevrolet produced (and sold throught dealerships) two ZL1 Corvettes and 69 COPO ZL1 Camaros. They all had all aluminum 427 big blocks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My 1997 STS has a DOHC all aluminum V8 that was one of the most sophisicated engine in the world when it came out in 1993. I can honestly say that Honda/Acura had NOTHING even close to this high-tech in that era. Drop this baby in an NSX and you'll really get results.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, it's an Euro-spec STS. :o Edited by Sixty8panther

Wow.... just, WOW! I knew some Ricer fans were ignorant of GM's history and technology but this is a shock.

My 1997 STS has a DOHC all aluminum V8 that was one of the most sophisicated engine in the world when it came out in 1993. I can honestly say that Honda/Acura had NOTHING even close to this high-tech in that era. Drop this baby in an NSX and you'll really get results.

Ricer fans? Come on, that's lame. I think several people have already replied stating that GM has been making aluminum block V8's, you don't need to chime in.

How is your STS V8 "the most sophisticated engine in the world in 1993"? At least give me some links or something to back that up.

HondaJet? So? GM has been making railroad engines for 65 years.

I'm not saying GM is low-tech, but that statement isn't really helping.

SH-AWD is honda's complex answer to a simple question. Subaru and Audi do it better still.

Offroad, yes. SH-AWD isn't designed for offroad, it is designed to control over and understeer to give a car neutral handling. It can over-accelerate one of the back wheels in order to give the car more rotation, and it can transfer up to 70% of the power to one back wheel, or both front wheels, or divide it accordingly between front and both back wheels. SH-FWD did the same thing with the front wheels, making a FF car (namely the Prelude which it came in) handle with much less understeer.

A few technology advances and improvements on current technology by Honda (most developed in the last 6 years).

HondaJet and Turbofan engines

[post="18105"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

HondaJet isn't really that revolutionary and its an unknown entering into quite a crowded field. That's assuming Honda intends the HA-420 for production. The engine placement for one has been done before with ill success namely because its a royal bitch to get at to fix.

Offroad, yes. SH-AWD isn't designed for offroad, it is designed to control over and understeer to give a car neutral handling. It can over-accelerate one of the back wheels in order to give the car more rotation, and it can transfer up to 70% of the power to one back wheel, or both front wheels, or divide it accordingly between front and both back wheels. SH-FWD did the same thing with the front wheels, making a FF car (namely the Prelude which it came in) handle with much less understeer

A blatant ripoff of VW's 4Xmotion/Audi's Quattro system; which can transfer upto 100% of the power to one wheel. Hardly a Honda "innovation".

A blatant ripoff of VW's 4Xmotion/Audi's Quattro system; which can transfer upto 100% of the power to one wheel.  Hardly a Honda "innovation".

[post="18545"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Quattro/4Motion, like most other AWD systems, sends power to the wheels with the most traction through the use of complex differentials, which makes them ideal for snowy conditions. SH-AWD, on the other hand, concentrates more on dry weather performance, and calculates/sends power to certain wheels in order to make it rotate and behave more neutrally. Torque is used not only for propulsion, but for cornering as well... either rear wheel can get 100% of the power depending on driver inputs.

GM's I4s need some work too... The new 140hp Civic engine gets pretty damn good gas mileage. In comparison, The 140hp Ecotec engine looks like a V6 with its gas mileage. Needs some refinement...

[post="14565"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe GM should just scrap the 2.2 and make 2.4 the standard, if they can ramp up the production. Doesn't the 2.4 get better mileage while more power?

The 2.2 and 2.4 in the Cobalt are rated the same by the EPA 25/34 with a stick, 24/32 with an auto. The Civic is rated at 30/38 with a stick and 30/40 with the slushbox. Compared to the Civic, the 'Balt gets horrible mileage, if you go by what the EPA says. Realistically, I get 30mpg in almost all city driving with my L, I bet the Cobalt will do better than that once broken in.

Continuing - Variable ratio power steering First Fuel Cell of any kind 1968 van first turbine car 1955 prototype jersey barriers hydraulic lifters Heard of VTEC -does honda hold the license on this ? Because everybody has it now and I am not sure if this is their innovation . What the heck is a super handling awd car , because Honda does not make a super handling anything if IMA is the Hybrid scam , did you electromotive division of GM has built locomotives for years , same technology , sans batteries , and if it so advanced how come Toyota currently owns that market ?GM has had night vision in Cadillac since 2000 and I believe they were first . GM sold off what used to be the worlds largest Diesel engine company , Detroit Diesel , but through it's Isuzu division makes the most powerful pickup diesel V8 , Duramax . Honda is a small wonder , but do they build their own transmissions ? Roots Blowers rear coil spring suspension 1958 air cooled engines 1925 cross flow radiators calcium plate batteries hybrid bus hybrid full size pickup electric power steering 88 fiero electric power brakes 1984 gn turbochargers 1961 f 85 and corvair high flowing mufflers the greatest engine ever built - small block chevrolet - nascar version puts out 158 hp per liter , just an 850 cfm carb

Heard of VTEC -does honda hold the license on this ? Because everybody has it now and I am not sure if this is their innovation .

Honda was the first back in 1990 with the DOHC Vtec engine in the Integra (and 1991 with the NSX). That is for USDM they might have had it a year earlier in Japan. Yes everyone copies it, just like everybody offers automatic transmissions and a/c, regardless of if GM invented them or not.

nascar version puts out 158 hp per liter , just an 850 cfm carb

JDM Integra Type R (DC2), 110hp/liter. Not a race car, paper air filter, chambered muffler, good emissions and 30mpg freeway (actual mileage). It's pretty easy to get these cars above 120hp/liter at the wheels too with just intake and exhaust systems, adjustable cam gears, and good tuning with Hondata or similar.

IMA is the Hybrid scam. GM has had night vision in Cadillac since 2000 and I believe they were first.

A lot of the things I listed were indeed Improvements on current technology, and not new technology all together. The Honda IMA is just a Hybrid system like Toyota's Synergy. It works quite well, giving the current insight above 60mpg, with all the modern conveniences (yes the VW Lupo may get good mpg too, but so does the 1993-95 Civic VX, however they don't have things like A/C, P/S, Airbags, power windows, ABS, power mirrors, etc). Not to mention the Insight with IMA was the first Hybrid car available in America, and still holds the best mileage (it also has one of the lowest Frontal Area's of any production car available).

What the heck is a super handling awd car , because Honda does not make a super handling anything

Explained above.

Whether or not an engine block is built using aluminum or cast iron does not say anything about how high or low tech the company is. GM still produces all their marine blocks out of cast iron. Someone saying:
Does not prove that GM is high tech, it is simply a statement. We can extract from that statement, that they have been building aluminum V8's for over a decade, that they run off 87, and the rest is just opinion.

[post="17998"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do some research on the Northstar line of engines. Their smoothness and reliability are well-documented and aren't mere opinons. Northstars can also run impressive distances with no coolant by shutting down banks of cylinders.

What other engine does that?

Whether or not an engine block is built using aluminum or cast iron does not say anything about how high or low tech the company is. GM still produces all their marine blocks out of cast iron. Someone saying:
Does not prove that GM is high tech, it is simply a statement. We can extract from that statement, that they have been building aluminum V8's for over a decade, that they run off 87, and the rest is just opinion.

[post="17998"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe not, but talk to any number of dumb ricers who hang out at my Starbucks, but that is what they always say when comparing domestics against thier superior front drive "performance" shit boxes. Give me a break!

Maybe not, but talk to any number of dumb ricers who hang out at my Starbucks, but that is what they always say when comparing domestics against thier superior front drive "performance"  shit boxes. Give me a break!

[post="18994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeh I hate those kind of kids. They really give us a bad name. They don't speak proper english either. The only good part about them, is they will buy parts just because someone tells them to, regardless of price (as long as it will give them more power!). haha :lol: Oh well.

Yeh I hate those kind of kids. They really give us a bad name. They don't speak proper english either. The only good part about them, is they will buy parts just because someone tells them to, regardless of price (as long as it will give them more power!). haha  :lol: Oh well.

[post="19119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Siegen, out of curiosity, what is your ride? Don't get me wrong I do respect imports that are properly tuned and built even if they are civics, integras, as long as the outside mods are kept to a minimum and not all junked up with all sorts of body kits, 3 foot spoilers, neon lights, etc. Hell there is a guy in our Trans Am club that has neon lights under the car that change colors, neon flamed interior seats making his car look ridiculous if you know what I mean. Edited by prinzSD

Siegen, out of curiosity, what is your ride? Don't get me wrong I do respect imports that are properly tuned and built even if they are civics, integras, as long as the outside mods are kept to a minimum and not all junked up with all sorts of body kits, 3 foot spoilers, neon lights, etc.

[post="19166"][/post]

I know what you mean. A long time ago I did want to get the body kit and the neon lights, because I thought it was cool. I grew out of that a couple years ago, thankfully. I drive a 1999 Integra. Only mods are suspension (yes I did it right with custom shocks to match the spring rate and drop), a custom air intake box with K&N filter, and a few other nik-naks. You can see the 2004 Sierra behind it, I drive that very often. In fact I've probably put half of the 16000 miles that are on it, so I know it quite well =) It's a good truck, I don't really have any basis to compare it on though. I don't really have a lot of plans for my Teg, as I don't want to spend a lot of money on it right now (saving up for a down payment on a house).

Posted Image

OH, and just for shits and giggles, my old Civic. I know the rims are hideous, but I was young!

Posted Image

Oh, and that Ford in the background had over 250,000 miles on it before we sold it to a collector. Original engine and transmission, still driven to work every day.

Yup both the Civic and Integra are about 99% rice free. Average these days for those years of Honda/Acuras here in my neck of the woods is about 40%. If nothing else the big wing and obnoxious graphics. I actually like those rims. They fit the Civic's personality. Not my style but not complete Rice either. How was your rolling resistance though? They're a tad big in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

The longer they hold off, the harder it will be for them to catch up to everyone else making a V-8.  If the executives want a complete car line for Honda, they need a V-8.  They could easily make a deal with GM to use the Vortec 4800 4.8L for the Ridgeline or the 5.3L V-8 for a large sedan.  Maybe even the Northstar for the Acura line.  Who knows.
They are more fuel efficient then most of thier competitors and they are reliable.
In return, GM could use some more V-6 engine options for their cars or small SUVs.

[post="14416"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There was talk about doing that like over five years ago, but it got scraped, oh, and Honda is focusing on making fuel efficient and ULEV cause the gas prices will eventually be so expensive, Honda will be a winner in this

With the exception of Honda's automatics, they build damn fine engines, Power output is at worst decent, fuel economy is fine, and all their cars are available with manuals. The greater majority of their engines like to be revved, but when driven at a normal pace their power output may be only modest, but they deliver on the fuel economy, and if you ever wanna have a bit of fun they dont make too shabby of #s in the top of their band.

really, they are perfect commuter cars, its not like you need to do 0-60 in 5sec when your commuting

I bet when honda does eventually build a V8 it will be a smallish 3.5L V8. probably make 245ish torque at 7500 and generate 400hp @ 8000rpm. It would make a good driver because they could use their VTEC system to keep a decent amount of torque available in the low end for commuting, and awesome power up top. Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!