Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest YellowJacket894

Future Classics

34 posts in this topic

Spanning a 20-year period, from '80 to '00, what cars do you think will soon be winning awards at Concours some 30-years into the future? Here's my list: -1991 Pontiac TransPort -1984 Pontiac Fiero -1983/98 Pontiac Firebird/TransAm -1988 Pontiac LeMans -1994 Chevy Camaro -1994/8 Chevy S10 -1991 Chevy Cavalier -2000 Chevy Impala -1996 Chevy Impala SS -1991 Chevy Caprice -1992 Nissan 300ZX -1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R -1990 Chevy Lumina Z34 -1989/96 Chevy Monte Carlo -1994 Chevy Beretta/Corsica -1997 Cadillac Catera That's all for now. What are ya' wating for? Post! B)

C5 Vette Original Viper BMW Z8 Various Ferraris 911s Aston Martin Vanquish Jaguar XK8 I think that's about it. There's not much from about '80-'96 that will win many awards, IMO.

MA61 Toyota Celica Supra MA70 Toyota Supra Turbo JZA80 Toyota Supra Turbo JZA161 Lexus GS300 Buick Regal T-Type/Grand National/GNX Z32 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo Honda Prelude VTEC A2 VW GTI/Jetta GLI A3 VW GTI/Jetta GLX VR6 VW Corrado G60/VR6 Buick LeSabre T-Type Buick Park Avenue Ultra Ford Thunderbird SC Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Merkur XR4Ti Ford Sierra Cosworth Lotus Carlton/Omega (don't sleep, beautiful car!) Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo Pontiac Grand Prix GTP TDC G-body Monte Carlo Luxury Sport FC3S Mazda RX-7 Turbo UCF11 Lexus LS400

Hmm... *takes deep breath* ...FIERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Other less notables include: -1980 LeMans Grand Am coupe -1982-90 Firebird/Trans Am -1984-90 Sunbird Turbo -1989 Trans Am Turbo -1989-90 ASC Mclaren Turbo Grand Prix -1991-92 Firebird/Trans Am/Firehawk -1992-94 Grand Am GT HO Quad4 -1993-97 Firebird/Trans Am/Firehawk -1997+ Grand Prix -1998+ Firebird/Trans Am/Firehawk -1999+ Grand Am GT

Another useless without pics thread. Future Classics? My talking Datsun:

What other 1980s Japanese car has all these features?

- RWD
- inline 6
- 5-speed
- independant rear suspension
- limited slip axle
- vocalised warning system
- 4 wheel disk brakes
- stand up srping mounted hood ornament
- emblems from two different manufacturers, technically the same company
- GM sourced and supplied power steering pump
- "super sopund system"
- stretched chassis specifically for the US market to accomodate the I6
- fuel injection but not DOHC
- dual gas strut assisted opening hood with no prop rod

Posted Image

All joking aside:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

Speaking strictly GM, and from a standpoint of desirability by collectors 1982, 1984 Corvette (with CFI) 1982-84 Z28, Trans Am (with CFI) 1983-1988 Monte SS (esp. the Aero Coupe) 1984-1988 Fiero 1982-1988 Grand National, Regal T-type, GNX 1986-1989 LeSabre T-Type (for that matter, all T-type Buicks) 1986 Grand Prix 2+2 (with the ugly-as-sin nose and all) 1984-1988 Cutlass Supereme 442 and Hurst Olds 1987-1990 IROC Convertible 1989 Turbo Trans Am 1990-1995 Corvette ZR1 (especially the 1990) 1990-1996 Beretta Z26/GTZ 1991-1994 Lumina Z34 1989-1990 Turbo Grand Prix 19xx - 19xx Cutlass Calais Quad 442 1993-2000 Firehawk 1996 Collector's Edition and Grand Sport Corvettes 1996-2000 Camaro SS 1995-2000 Aurora 1998-2000 Intrigue 1997-2000 Corvette (esp. the hardtops) 1997-2000 Regal GS 1997-2000 Grand Prix GTP

this thread needs to be renamed "your favorite cars from the 80's and 90's. Notice how some people will pick a random camaro year or cars such as a beretta which have no value other than scrap metal supply for the chinese take over of the american economy. collectibility is all subjective. example:i hate mustangs, everylast one, therefor a mustang is not collectible but to most people in 30 years a 2001 mustang cobra would be very desireable

Well, one could say the same thing about the tri-fives. Chevy sold millions of them every year, and at the time noone thought anything of sending one to the crusher. They didn't really catch on with collectors/restorers until the early 1980s I believe.

I don't think '57 Chevys in particular were ever NOT popular. Without question they were popular in the '70s, and I know Chevy ran ads circa 1962 showing the '57. I believe it was for their 'OK Used' cars and said something like 'Still popular'.

I am somewhat surprised the Chevy in American Graffiti (1975) is a '58 instead of a '57. There's a '55 in Two Lane Blacktop (1970), and I'm sure there's a million other featured movie roles.

In general I agree with 99SS: a LOT of vehicles mentioned here will NOT be especially collectible in 30 years, I guarantee that. Performance cars & special edition performance cars, yes. Many others: no. Edited by balthazar

I think there's a dearth of vehicles with real potential collector value from this era. My list: 90'-96 300ZX Supra Mk IV TT Impala SS Regal GN/GNX Camaro SS BMW M3 E36 and E46 Viper

Well you can still go to a car show and not see anything post 71-73 as far as domestics. This will change some with time and even fewer and fewer pre 73's available. But really only time will tell. Theres only a few I feel are noteworthy from a styling standpoint and they are GMs and Exotic European cars. The tecno clones from asia are irrelevent as far as statements go.

What about 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Anniversary Edition or did it not accomplish anything but being a special exterior/interior opion? Edited by BlkHhr104

I comprise my list of cars based on the following criteria: *Must be of significant production (like a Camry, but infinitly more worth keeping). *No special tuned/high-performance edition with limited run (Ford Lightning, GMC Syclone). *No factory collectables (Plymouth Prowler, Chevy SSr) *American - 'cause I don't really care about everyone else. '95-'99 Buick Riviera '95-'99 Oldsmobile Aurora '87-'93 Cadillac Allante '88-'91 Buick Reatta '89-'91 Chrysler TC by Maserati '89-'95 Ford Taurus SHO '90-'93 Chrysler Imperial '97-'02 Cadillac Eldorado '97.5-'04 Buick Regal GS '01-'05 Pontiac Aztek '02-'03 Lincoln Blackwood 2002 Camaro SS/Firebird Trans Am Every car I listed above is already a collectable in the sense that they all have some sort of cult, enthusiast following, are rapidly dwindling in numbers in good condition, or are already holding their value.

I don't think '57 Chevys in particular were ever NOT popular. Without question they were popular in the '70s, and I know Chevy ran ads circa 1962 showing the '57. I believe it was for their 'OK Used' cars and said something like 'Still popular'.

I am somewhat surprised the Chevy in American Graffiti (1975) is a '58 instead of a '57. There's a '55 in Two Lane Blacktop (1970), and I'm sure there's a million other featured movie roles.

[post="14460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 57s are not my cup of tea compared to the 55s.

I agree with Fly's list (especially with the Riviera, Reatta, Aurora, & Blackwood). I would like to add a few more Buicks though :):

89-93 Buick Riviera (The technology (and finally styling) in the Riviera was beyond most in the 1980's)
91-96 Buick Roadmaster (including Estate)
91-96 Buick Park Avenue+Ultra (Established the "Jaguar"esque look for Buick)
97-05 Buick Park Avenue+Ultra (the Ultra is truly everything Buick stood for in the 1990's)

I predict that not one Japanese car will be a collectible in the future. They are temporary cars, for the moment. No lasting value.

I believe everyone in here has a different set of criteria for making their lists.

anorexorcist said "winning awards at Concours", and by 'Concours', I'm not sure what he's referring to. But a jetta can win an award at an all-VW show; so anything from any manufcaturer has award potential.

I realize I was thinking more of 'above-and-beyond' collector value. In that respect, a --for instance-- 98-00 Old Intrique will not exceed other W-body GM models in value, and likewise a lot of the '80-00 vehicles here will also not exceed their segment's average values.

That's not to say they will not be collectible and/or classics; another definition entirely. An AMC Pacer is pretty much a 'classic' of sorts, just not collectible nor valuable. It could still win an award at an AMC showing, of course. Old (post war) rolls royces are ususally collectibles and (sometimes) classics, tho not particularly valuable. Catch my drift?

Cross Fire Injection sucks, I doubt it will ever bee worth it's weight in lead.

I predict that not one Japanese car will be a collectible in the future.  They are temporary cars, for the moment.  No lasting value.

[post="14591"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Supra

don't forget the 1992-1995 Mazda 929 (It's hard to believe this RWD Japanese car design is actually 13 years old!):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0