Member55

2006 RAV4

27 posts in this topic

Yeah, but what will it be after they convert it to official SAE hp numbers? :lol:

[post="14522"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's already SAE-rated. It's the Avalon engine.

It wouldn't be too risky to say that expect 0-60 times in the 5 second range. I believe the Forester XT is the only SUV in its class so far that does that.

I's starting to get edgy over this. They had better hurry and stick the 3.9 in the Nox.. if not Toyota is going to get rave reviews for having a powerful suv, tested against the nox and oblitorate the nox. You know edmunds is just waiting to get their hands on one so they can do it!

toyota is trying a little honda tricks. Throw in some horsepower to get some attention. Smart idea. Maybe since the rav4 is so little it won't have the overheat / die proplem of other toyota v-6s. Then again...

It's already SAE-rated. It's the Avalon engine.

[post="14529"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So they are throwing their flagship sedan's engine in their cute-ute?? :blink: This has to be a sign of something.

So they are throwing their flagship sedan's engine in their cute-ute??  :blink: This has to be a sign of something.

[post="14617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Like the flagship getting something bigger?

So they are throwing their flagship sedan's engine in their cute-ute??  :blink: This has to be a sign of something.

[post="14617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They're throwing it into as many vehicles as they can... kinda like Nissan's VQ. The Xterra has 265 horsepower, I think.

GM had better have big plans for the Equinox. Either that, or a smaller SUV with a lotta power on tap. The Vue Redline is just a little quirkey and won't help Chevrolet hold on to first place in the over all sales race. The RAV4 has always been a decent vehicle. Now it can be a real threat. I saw a Freestyle this morning. Not bad. Gives Ford a big edge with the 7 passenger capability. The Rendezvous doesn't hold a candle to the Freestyle. The Trailblazer is a dog and dated already. Again, GM is going to be playing catch up. The Equinox is in its second year and we get smaller rear head rests and new HVAC controls. Whoopee!

that is so crazy, how can they have such a huge gap between the base engine and the larger one

The new RAV4 looks like it grew up a lot so that it's now more of a midsized SUV. Kinda makes the Highlander redundant, though. It probably needs every one of those 268 horses. I'd hate to be the one that has to settle for the 4cyl. The 'Nox and especially the Torrent need an engine transplant ASAP, but we've known that for a while now.

I think the Highlander is being redesigned in 2008 after the new Camry comes out in 2007. It'll probably grow but Toyota may have to think about these huge HP numbers due to gas prices.

In addition to the V6 engine, the North American RAV4 has been stretched by almost 5" between the axles, plus another 3" at the rear for optional third-row seating. As a result all the photos you've seen of the vehicle unveiled in Frankfurt are not much like the US model. The taller hood and the longer rear window are the most obvious differences, but probably only the front doors are common between the two. Edited by thegriffon

I dont think an actual SUV fits the image Toyota wants for Scion. Remember, they are supposed to be "not your parents Toyota" and their parents Toyota is probably a 4Runner. I'd like to think the FJ would slot below the RAV, but it'll probably be priced in the upper-$20s. They'll probably fill that niche with the next Matrix, jack it up a little bit, offer a real engine,etc.

The size creep for the RAV4 provides room for a smaller SUV beneath it.  Perhaps a Scion SUV?

[post="15678"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not exactly-the dimensions were still too small compared to the rest of the compact car-based crossover SUV class. The increases are mentioned in the AutoWeek release, and I still wonder how it will REALLY do.

I dont think the 3.9 is the best engine for the Nox because it has less torque then it has horsepower, but anything is better then the 3.4 altho it has great get up and go. Edited by BlkHhr104

Umm, tell me the part again about Toyota's reputation for superior environmental concern?

[post="15842"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It gets 22/31 MPG in the Avalon, which weighs 3600 lbs, so I expect the RAV4 to do even better. There'll probably be a 4-cylinder hybrid version with power between the 2.4L and 3.5L.

You think the people that are interested in buying an almost-270hp engine are going to actually reach those figures? Actually, my bigger question is: does any Toyota actually reach the figures they put out; whether it be hp or mpg? Excuse my skepticism, but when are people going to start doubting official Toyota numbers? In their history, they've pretty much run the gambit of inflated hp figures, inflated mileage, measuring interior space with rear seats removed, and measuring ground clearance from the ground to the door sill (as opposed to ground-to-frame). Lastly, even though those numbers are respectable (if not better), it doesn't exactly earn them a free pass. Those numbers could be even better with a smaller V6). Detroit has long-been held to the mentality of: "people don't need all that power". Look at the full-size GM trucks. Best-in-class gas mileage and they are still targeted because they put out monsterous, over-the-top hp vehicles. My comment was just to make people aware that Toyota isn't any different (or better) than any of the Detroit manufacturers. Lastly: those mpg numbers, if trusted, are excellent for a 270hp vehicle.

Pretty much all car manufacturers inflate their MPG because they use the EPA's inflated MPG numbers. But I digress. It's only a Toyota problem. :rolleyes:

Pretty much all car manufacturers inflate their MPG because they use the EPA's inflated MPG numbers

Apparently, you haven't owned an Ecotec-powered vehicle; numerous owners on this site (as well as Edmunds' town hall) can quote you better-than-EPA figures.

Apparently, you haven't owned an Ecotec-powered vehicle; numerous owners on this site (as well as Edmunds' town hall) can quote you better-than-EPA figures.

[post="15920"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So can numerous hybrid owners.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor