Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Mulally already shaking up Ford

23 posts in this topic

mustang84    12

This is what Ford has needed for a long, long time...

Alan Mulally took one look at the jam-packed executive meeting schedule at Ford Motor Co. last week and shook his head.

"That doesn't work for me," he said.

That's a favorite phrase of Ford's new president and CEO -- his way of saying things are going to change in Dearborn -- quickly.

Mulally told executives there are too many meetings and he asked when they found time to focus on the customer.

He's eating in the cafeteria instead of the executive dining room, personally answering e-mails from employees and driving every Ford vehicle he can get his hands on.

He's taken the lead in the few meetings he's attended, asking probing questions and demanding firm "yes" or "no" answers. He's endorsed the revised Way Forward restructuring plan Ford announced last Friday, but made it clear he won't allow it to fall victim to the same market forces that forced Ford to scuttle promises made in its original plan detailed in January.

Mulally has said he wants to intensify the focus on the customer.

And he has signaled the company will be clear and straightforward in its external communications.

During a meeting last week in preparation for last Friday's restructuring announcement, he rejected a carefully nuanced response Ford's communications staff had prepared to questions about the possibility of selling the money-losing Jaguar brand.

Mulally preferred a simple and direct statement: Ford has no current plans to sell the brand.

Mulally also is acting like a man who has a lot of catching up to do behind the wheel of Ford's vehicles.

He's working on getting rid of his Lexus in favor of a Ford, possibly a Five Hundred sedan. He also has been familiarizing himself with Ford's lineup by driving a different model nearly every day, including the Ford Edge, the roomy crossover vehicle due on the market in November.

An engineer by trade, he has already been sharing impressions of the vehicles with his team.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../609220390/1148

Edited by mustang84

That's awesome! I hope they keep it up and improve Ford like they so desperately need!

mustang84    12

Heh...might I suggest something from PAG or a Mustang instead.

Lexus ----> 500 = ouch.

196653[/snapback]

Well, at least he'll know where Ford needs lot of improvement. I'd almost rather he drive a Ranger or Crown Vic so he can see why Ford is where it is at today.

balthazar    2,004

Sounds great, hope things turn quickly and in a big way.

An engineer is moreso a car guy than a financial executive. He seems to be product-focused from the above quotes, which is what a car guy would be.

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

Mulally, here's to you for getting started down the long road to helping Ford. God knows that a wing and a prayer just won't cut it here.

And, please, drive cars from other markets, not just from North America. The cars from Ford here $h! the bed parked next to a Euro Focus or a Falcon.

Edited by YellowJacket894

pow    106

Mulally, here's to you for getting started down the long road to helping Ford. God knows that a wing and a prayer just won't cut it here.

And, please, drive cars from other markets, not just from North America. The cars here $h! the bed parked next to a Euro Focus or a Falcon.

197014[/snapback]

Or a Range Rover, DB9, XKR, Super V8, C70, or the upcoming S80.

The O.C.    2

Heh...might I suggest something from PAG or a Mustang instead.

Lexus ----> 500 = ouch.

196653[/snapback]

In one vein, it's probably good that he's not a traditional "car guy."

AND it's probably good he's not from Michigan or the midwest...

AND it's probably even BETTER that he loved his Lexus...

Maybe he'll bring a dose of what the real world is like to the Michiganders at Ford.

RJB    0

He better be doing something when if you equal everything up paywise(stocks, bonuses) he gets $111 million, and then says everyone from the top to the bottom needs to take a cut and make drastic measures to "help" Ford!! Even if he does not make a difference at Ford and leaves or is cut, he makes out like a bandit while Ford is holding the bag!

turbo200    6

Ford can react a lot quicker than GM can, this is thier advantage. I hope his knowledge, and his experience with foreign cars can help bring the changes needed a lot sooner. Goodbye Fusion and Focus, we need the Mondeo and Euro Focus here soon.

CARBIZ    1

I just don't understand why Ford and GM both don't take advantage of the expertise and great cars they already have - in Europe!

I have seen the guys on Top Gear gush over Fords and Vauxhalls like you would never see our media here do. The Focus has always been a top seller in Europe and it didn't have the huge recalls and problems like our watered down version did over here.

And that is the problem: we always get the dumbed down version in North America.

Stop it already!

Intrepidation    848

I just don't understand why Ford and GM both don't take advantage of the expertise and great cars they already have - in Europe!

I have seen the guys on Top Gear gush over Fords and Vauxhalls like you would never see our media here do.  The Focus has always been a top seller in Europe and it didn't have the huge recalls and problems like our watered down version did over here.

And that is the problem: we always get the dumbed down version in North America.

Stop it already!

201994[/snapback]

Well Saturn is taking advantage of Opel...but I dunno if Chevy should be bring over it's Euro cars since most are Daewoos...aren't they? I agree...Ford should bring some of it's cars stateside...especially the Focus.

The guy sounds lpromising so far...cutting through the BS, and test driving multiple cars. Here's hopin'

ehaase    18

I agree...Ford should bring some of it's cars stateside...especially the Focus.

202006[/snapback]

Based upon some hints in the Way Forward 2 information from last month, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford NA and Ford Europe basically have the same small and mid size cars within 10 years.

The O.C.    2

Hopefully in the future, Mullaly will help crush the corporate culture at Ford that has kept them so shortsighted relative to the automotive market in the U.S.

Look at how foolish Ford and GM look.....failing years ago to develop plans to bring the current Fiesta (a mini-Focus, and quite cute) and the just-introduced Corsa (also adorable and smartly-styled) over here by now.

GM can sit back and enjoy the next FIVE years until the (new) Corsa gets over here (according to Bob) while Honda Fits, Toyota Yaris', Kia Rios, Hyundai Accents, and Nissan Versas LOCK UP this newly re-emerging segment.

:nono:

prinzSD    0

Hopefully in the future, Mullaly will help crush the corporate culture at Ford that has kept them so shortsighted relative to the automotive market in the U.S.

Look at how foolish Ford and GM look.....failing years ago to develop plans to bring the current Fiesta (a mini-Focus, and quite cute) and the just-introduced Corsa (also adorable and smartly-styled) over here by now.

GM can sit back and enjoy the next FIVE years until the (new) Corsa gets over here (according to Bob) while Honda Fits, Toyota Yaris', Kia Rios, Hyundai Accents, and Nissan Versas LOCK UP this newly re-emerging segment.

202129[/snapback]

I have to agree 100%

ohsnap    0

It sounds like a promising start.....time will tell but hey, it's cool that he eats in the employee cafeteria and is trying out all the Ford cars.

Drew Dowdell    5,159

202129[/snapback]

Surely you haven't forgotten about the Aveo..... one of the segment's best sellers....

Or a Range Rover, DB9, XKR, Super V8, C70, or the upcoming S80.

197049[/snapback]

Or a Town Car..so he can see how Lincoln needs to improve?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this