Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Which state is the most free?

Camino LS6

Louisiana is pretty free with itself. Very relaxed gunlaws and to this date I dont know of any intrusive government interference. However our state leaders are morons as many people witnessed after Katrina and Rita.

However if you move anywhere from South-Central to Northerne Louisiana, you wont have those pesky storm problems :)

Louisiana is pretty free with itself. Very relaxed gunlaws and to this date I dont know of any intrusive government interference. However our state leaders are morons as many people witnessed after Katrina and Rita.

However if you move anywhere from South-Central to Northerne Louisiana, you wont have those pesky storm problems :)

196676[/snapback]

Thanks for the low-down, but I need to stay north of the Mason-Dixon line as I hate hot weather. :lol:

It ain't Jersey, I can vouch for that. Unless you don't happen to feel excessive taxation is intrusive... then it's fine.

I do wonder about Wyoming. Isn't it the least populated state (maybe per sq mile)? I could go for that.

What's your beef with PA, Camino? If it weren't for niggling things like work & family, I could go for central PA in a big way, even tho in my dealings in eastern PA, it's earned the derogitory nickname of 'Pennsyltucky'. Very relaxing out there, at least it seems so for this occasional intruder.

It ain't Jersey, I can vouch for that. Unless you don't happen to feel excessive taxation is intrusive... then it's fine.

I do wonder about Wyoming. Isn't it the least populated state (maybe per sq mile)? I could go for that.

What's your beef with PA, Camino? If it weren't for niggling things like work & family, I could go for central PA in a big way, even tho in my dealings in eastern PA, it's earned the derogitory nickname of 'Pennsyltucky'. Very relaxing out there, at least it seems so for this occasional intruder.

196692[/snapback]

The main beef is the ever-increasing population density here in SE PA. I love the land itself, but there are too many people by twice at least. The rest of the state is much more open.

OK, so why not bump west a bit?

And you know you can't tell me about population from that side of the Delaware, right? ;)

196705[/snapback]

I've considered it, and it may still be an option. I can't help thinking that somewhere entirely new might be more to my liking though.

No, I know Jersey has those issues in an exponentially worse way.

Camino, I have nothing to offer you. But I know what Balthazar means by population growth in NJ, plus the cost of insurance and property tax. If I had a Pennsylvania teacher's license, I'd probably be living & working somewhere in PA, maybe out near Hershey. My uncle lived in Inidana, PA and it was real nice out there - very small-town-USA kind of thing (it was that way, as of my last visit in 1990) and relaxed a bit more than what I'm use to. Good luck finding what makes you happy.

Thanks for the low-down, but I need to stay north of the Mason-Dixon line as I hate hot weather. :lol:

196688[/snapback]

Oh you'd defintely hate it here then lol. 98 degree summers with 100 percent humidity lol. I used to get a kick when I'd go down to New Orleans and see people sitting on park benches exhausted and appearing to be on their last breaths. You always knew they were tourists that were not used to the humidity. :lol:

Well Alaska is pretty much final for me. In the next two years they are running power arcoss a new section of land on top of a hill looking over a river and in the distance some snow top mountains. I Have some connections up there in Ninilchik that will look into it once and awhile and tell me when the Sale sign goes up on a 2 acre lot.

But as for Free states i would think a half horse town in Montana.

Montana is pretty "free" so to speak. I'm not so sure about free in laws pre se, but just the land itself gives you a feeling of freedom. Vast prairies, rolling hills, rock formations... it's beautiful to cruise the I-90 and the smaller highways.

Whenever I've gone there, I want to stay.

Alaska is also very nice, and I was surprised to realize that the cities of Fairbanks and Anchorage, while not giant, are actually decent sizes. However, access is limited to you travelling up through my province or Alberta, or catching a long ferry ride from Bellingham, or somewhere in Washington.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Isnt Oregon where all the paranoids go to keep under the radar...........or was that over with a few decades ago when everyone figured out they were there, hiding in bomb shelters with lots of ammo................. :lol:

An old girlfriend told me when they found the unibomber she though of me............ :lol: No! I dont have bombs or even guns just that nearly finished vaporizor. She was more talking about my attitude and reclusiveness in a humorous way.

I dont know about Montana but Colorado and other Rockey States, I have been told,are over run with wealthy people that have drivin the cost of property out of reach of most the states natives. Much like NYCitites have done here in upstate NY. I imagine thats the same problem Balth and Camino are referring too. That is the same basis on which I have based my "one day we will all be in trailor parks" speach. :scratchchin:

Balance the scales brothers we are not the enemy or indentured servants, we are the ones that do the dirty work you do not want to do, we deserve our fair share for our contribution to socioty. Maybe if we could afford to live better you would not have to call us "white trash" "rednecks" "illiterate" or whatever other insults seem to suit ones fancy at any givin time.

New Hampshire is a nice state but theres lots of money up there too and if you cant touch it you will be forced to suffer, same as in our areas. The very rural North of NH is really cool but Im not sure how to make a living there.

Ive consider Alaska for decades, due to my interests, but now Im older and seem to have lost my cryptonite. I also hate blood sucking insects and while I have delt with them my whole life, Alaska sounds like an extreme I may not be comfortable with.

Funny, but I was just posting on Canada and for some time I have considered the Canadian bush but once again, not sure how Id make a living.

Texas, where its OK to be a "redneck" and a "good ol boy" and go to work and get "dirty", wear boots and cowboy hats and spit, swear and slap the ladies on the ass...................... :lol: Just kidin I dont know a thing about Texas but I will admit getting out of the "blue states" is beginning to sound like a good idea. To many people around these parts decideing that thier way is the only way, the whimpy way, the prissy way, the illogical way, because they went to college and some book said so. I prefer independant thought and observation myself.

Which of the 50 states has the least restrictive laws overall and is the least intrusive into the lives of it's citizens?

I honestly want to know.

"That which governs best, governs least."

I have U-Haul on speedial. :AH-HA_wink:

196638[/snapback]

i have this coffee cup from new hampshire with the state motto live free or die and when you look at the bottom of the cup it says made in china. i always wonder if those poor bastards making those cups can read english....

i dont know what your looking to do but i know here in ny its pretty damn free to go about as you please. ive been stopped more times out of state for nothing more than walking down the block after 1 in the morning. thats never ever once happened here. seriously id guess vegas down south/west or n.h. up north east would be the best bets.

i have my reasons.

This a very tough thing to answer because you have to "pick your battles."

No state income tax in the following:

Washington

Nevada

Texas

Florida

New Hampshire

one more, there are 6

No sales tax in:

Oregon

there are others, someone help me out

Death penalty is on the books in the West, the liberal Northeast does not have it, for the most part

If free means being able to pump your own gas, then you can't do that in:

Oregon

New Jersey

If free means space, the states of the Intermountain West have very low density but the "sophistication" level is also low and the feeling of isolation is high. I refer to:

Montana

Wyoming

Nevada

Idaho

Camino, it's a balancing act. Those that have no state income tax have to get it another way.

I think the most important thing is "fit" with the people. A weird but funny co-worker from Long Island comes into my office to complain about anything on a regular basis and he was saying that, out West, loyalties run thin but, in his mind, in the Northeast, people are more forward and abrasive but also more loyal. "Fit" is everything in my mind. I love the beauty of the Northwest but my "in your face-ness" definitely scrapes with the arms-length and aloof Scandinavian sensibilities of the area. So far, I would have to say there's a fit for me in CA, the Northeast and the more urbanized areas of the Southeast (ATL, MIA, etc).

>>"If free means being able to pump your own gas, then you can't do that in: Oregon, New Jersey"<<

I already pump my own gas about 20% of the time (I'll wait a minute or 2 to let the pump jockeys do it)... but I could easily pump my own 85% of the time. I just about always get out of the truck anyway. Thge law is very lax and never enforced.

Camino:

If you've only lived in southeast Pennsylvania, you're missing out on some of the best parts. If you're a car person, living in or around the Hershey area is good...between Hershey in the fall and Carlisle from spring through the fall, it's a car lover's heaven. If you like motorsports, the Poconos might be for you.

If you want low cost-of living, the northern part of the commonwealth is beautiful and inexpensive.

Southeast Pennsylvania isn't cheap...but it's hardly expensive either. Moving just a half-an-hour or so north or west will greatly reduce your cost of living.

Having lived in New England, I can tell you that you will find the same problems as in Pennsylvania. Massachusetts, for example, is expensive in the east but relatively inexpensive in the west. And, like all states, they have dumb laws too.

Pennsylvania's not bad at all, from my experiences.

Camino:

If you've only lived in southeast Pennsylvania, you're missing out on some of the best parts. If you're a car person, living in or around the Hershey area is good...between Hershey in the fall and Carlisle from spring through the fall, it's a car lover's heaven. If you like motorsports, the Poconos might be for you.

If you want low cost-of living, the northern part of the commonwealth is beautiful and inexpensive.

Southeast Pennsylvania isn't cheap...but it's hardly expensive either. Moving just a half-an-hour or so north or west will greatly reduce your cost of living.

Having lived in New England, I can tell you that you will find the same problems as in Pennsylvania. Massachusetts, for example, is expensive in the east but relatively inexpensive in the west. And, like all states, they have dumb laws too.

Pennsylvania's not bad at all, from my experiences.

197475[/snapback]

I've spent quite a bit of time all over Pennsylvania and I love lots of it. I'm just tired of what has happened to my part of PA and tired of always having someone in my face 24/7. Mass. is out of the question as they have terrible laws which I can't overlook. I've spent time in New England over the years and there is a definite appeal in states like Vermont and NH for me. I also love upstate NY, but I don't think I want to be tied to the politics of Albany and NYC.

One other note: My part of SE PA is insanely expensive. (Chester County/Main Line suburbs of Phila.)

I know the region intimately.

Is your "24/7" problem personal or political? If the latter, please explain.

197550[/snapback]

My 24/7 problem is 100% an issue of population density, more and more pidgeons squabbling over the same shrinking pile of breadcrumbs. That, and a standard of living that all but evicts anyone making less than several hundred thousand a year.

This is a hard place to live and becoming less desirable (to me) with each new McMansion. This burgeoning expansion has gutted the flavor of the place and made it just one huge sprawl of mediocrity and sameness. I just don't belong in my own home town anymore. It disgusts me.

just gonna guess MN, hey, free enough to elect MR ventura as govenor a while back,  oh, and at least the souther half is very nice, (maybe not winters though)

196752[/snapback]

MN is pretty restrictive and the liberal intelligentsia is overbearing. Still its a fairly free state.

SD should be near the top. No state tax, no many other rules. ND same way except state tax.

My 24/7 problem is 100% an issue of population density, more and more pidgeons squabbling over the same shrinking pile of breadcrumbs. That, and a standard of living that all but evicts anyone making less than several hundred thousand a year.

This is a hard place to live and becoming less desirable (to me) with each new McMansion. This burgeoning expansion has gutted the flavor of the place and made it just one huge sprawl of mediocrity and sameness. I just don't belong in my own home town anymore. It disgusts me.

Okay...I still don't understand. Outside of the Mainline, Pennsylvania isn't like that. Population density and cost of living PLUMMETS when you move north or west....even a couple of miles. These places also have "flavor" without "sprawl," "mediocrity," or "sameness." Try Lancaster, Hershey, Carlisle, Easton, Altoona, Johnstown, Erie, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Dubois, Bellefonte, State College, even Pittsburgh...for closer to hom, there's Pottstown, Reading, and any of four or five dozen small towns within 45 minutes north and west of King of Prussia. I find all of these areas (perhaps not Pittsburgh, but that's me) more interesting and comfortable than Villanova, Radnor, and West Chester.

But, again, that's just me.

197590[/snapback]

Okay...I still don't understand. Outside of the Mainline, Pennsylvania isn't like that. Population density and cost of living PLUMMETS when you move north or west....even a couple of miles. These places also have "flavor" without "sprawl," "mediocrity," or "sameness." Try Lancaster, Hershey, Carlisle, Easton, Altoona, Johnstown, Erie, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Dubois, Bellefonte, State College, even Pittsburgh...for closer to hom, there's Pottstown, Reading, and any of four or five dozen small towns within 45 minutes north and west of King of Prussia. I find all of these areas (perhaps not Pittsburgh, but that's me) more interesting and comfortable than Villanova, Radnor, and West Chester.

197697[/snapback]

:withstupid:

Anywhere within 100 miles of me (besides Pittsburgh) is without all of what you hate about where you are now. Even if a bit to the extreme. But hey, of all the places Hudson posted, Dubois is one I have quite a bit of experience with being only 20 miles from Brookville. So, I could easily advise you about it if interested. It isn't nearly as small as Brookville, so it doesnt have the problems of being overly empty of business and such.

Maine is one of the better ones.

197697[/snapback]

I've been to every town you listed, and I agree. The problem is that my family has been here (even on the same street) for 5 generations now (the 5th being my nephews). I resent being driven out because I don't choose to live the way the "invaders" do. Chester County was once one of the most beautiful places in the state, but it now looks like some giant trash truck overturned dumping its (expensive) load of garbage. The open areas are nearly gone and perfectly good houses (some as expensive as 5-600k) are being purchased and immediately razed to make room for multi-million dollar McMansions. My problem is that I am deeply tied to this place in every way and leaving would feel like defeat. However, defeat is starting to look good and a clean start in a completely new place has great appeal.

BV: I've been through Dubois more times than I can remember, but thanks for the offer.

I've been to every town you listed, and I agree. The problem is that my family has been here (even on the same street) for 5 generations now (the 5th being my nephews). I resent being driven out because I don't choose to live the way the "invaders" do. Chester County was once one of the most beautiful places in the state, but it now looks like some giant trash truck overturned dumping its (expensive) load of garbage. The open areas are nearly gone and perfectly good houses (some as expensive as 5-600k) are being purchased and immediately razed to make room for multi-million dollar McMansions. My problem is that I am deeply tied to this place in every way and leaving would feel like defeat. However, defeat is starting to look good and a clean start in a completely new place has great appeal.

BV: I've been through Dubois more times than I can remember, but thanks for the offer.

This is why I say you should drive half an hour north and see what's there. You might like Phoenixville or Royersford or Sanatoga or Pottstown.

197815[/snapback]

Yes, but I bet I've been through it much more. :P

This is why I say you should drive half an hour north and see what's there. You might like Phoenixville or Royersford or Sanatoga or Pottstown.

197829[/snapback]

My aunt used to live in Pottstown. What telling you guys that is good for.. IDK. :D