Show me the way

mightymouse

My tattered, mis-matched Instrument Panel needs a rework. The thing that happened was I found a pile of instrumentation, beside the road and garbage picked some Camaro and other clusters from this gearhead down the street- truly a sign.

I'm not kidding. They are GM and match my cable end!

Posted Image

I have done many modifications to interiors, now it's your turn! here is a before-(we don't want anything like this)

Posted Image

I envision a sweeping,late model Riveria style panel, with an overhang or brow

that runs from door panel to door panel(top pad like a gen 3 Camaro also...)

Pencils pens chops please feel free to share your ideas for the best I/P & Console

I would like simple round tach and speedo in deep protruding tubes, like Solstice ....

which project from a way-foward-in-car sweeping surface. Like a motorcycle.

Only two 100mm round air outlets are preferred.

This is the cluster bezel I like...I might trim the bottom part of the bezel off,

or maybe make two deep angled tubes ala gen I camaro.

and it will relocate 10" foward or so after I yank the current 85mph bar speedo.

tubes - maybe aluminum finish? you tell me.

Posted Image

Please share your thoughts here, and I will fabricate the best ideas in the Malibu.

Like pimp my ride only with taste. The depth of a new smaller radio is the only limitation...

probably right in the center, as well as a floor shifter.

No idea is a bad one! I can do fiberglass, so anything is possible.

I seriously appreciate all details :yes: I really like that late Riv thing only smaller and cooler of course.

The prize is a GM performance division sticker that's cool.

Edited by mightymouse

4th gen Firebird? Should have lots of commonality, tends toward round openings,and should we widely available in boneyards/swapmeets/on ebay.

Just my first thought.

196795[/snapback]

Nono I'm making it from scratch with one of the clusters shown.

No glove box, no HVAC controls, just a radio in the center stack.

anything goes.

hmmm... i will see what i can do... im bored... and doing interiors is sometimes fun when given lots of freedom... so i will try to come up with something before i head to the game tomorrow... Bucks vs Penn State... i have got to be there

I'm in. When should it be done by. I have an excellent idea. There should be air outlets right in the center stack or on the sides? This sounds cool. I have never drawn an interior for anyone. This will be a first.

196849[/snapback]

I will route two fresh air intakes wherever ...probably best towards the center

I have no HVAC system. Fair weather car only- no real deadline, I will have until

spring to finish the build....so take your time.

Edited by mightymouse

What about an aftermarket fiberglas dash, such as for race cars, to start with? No glovebox, no vents; you could cut what & where. Lots of these types companies out there- try VFN fiberglas.

I'm not too helpful in this era; I never owned an '80s vehicle so they don't 'speak' to me as far as inspiration goes....

manual or auto?

Use all of the guage clusters at the same time. It would make you think you were flying an airplane. :wink:

But seriously, what are you thoughts on wood? Take the wooden-looking bezel from the first pick, use it as a nice big frame for all your radio, HVAC  and miscelaneous controls. Then right beneath it, maybe have an oak console  with the shifter and the cup holders.

196910[/snapback]

It has to match the feel of the car...I think of wood on high end cars..

I might use thin plywood and flex to fit the base or A-line of the W/S, no HVAC- just a radio, it will probably get covered with foam and soft charcoal vinyl just

like the doors, maybe a bright, thin, trim piece crosses the I/P and onto the door...

Who was that guy with a newer Riv, called it an egg or something. I wish I had a

picture of the latest Riveria I/P.

What about an aftermarket fiberglas dash, such as for race cars, to start with? No glovebox, no vents; you could cut what & where. Lots of these types companies out there- try VFN fiberglas.

I'm not too helpful in this era; I never owned an '80s vehicle so they don't 'speak' to me as far as inspiration goes....

196882[/snapback]

Yes, that's a good idea but I want it curved... I have seen too many flat ones. Edited by mightymouse

curved? crap... looks like ill hafta start over... i had a nice clean, what some would call flat but i call sharp, center stack and dash layed out... i think ill show it to you anyway... i think it really goes with the nice clean crisp aggressiveness of yur malibu...

the question still stands... manual or auto?

oh well... i just left the gear shift spot blank... put what you would like in there...

i know you wanted curved... but i looked at yur car and something said to me "this interior needs to have sharp edges" so thats what i did...

um... the overhang bit has a peice of chrome or brushed aluminum trim running along it... as does the center section of each side... pretty much anywhere you see a thin white line means there is trimming there...

the center stack can be re-worked if you want... just tell me where you want the stuff moved and i will do it...

otherwise... hope you like it... i think this would look awesome in your car...

Posted Image

curved? crap... looks like ill hafta start over... i had a nice clean, what some would call flat but i call sharp, center stack and dash layed out... i think ill show it to you anyway... i think it really goes with the nice clean crisp aggressiveness of yur malibu...

the question still stands... manual or auto?

196931[/snapback]

Good start...looks CTS-ish

Floor shifted automatic- I took a picture of the different shift knobs I might use.

I like the one with the thumb switch, that's on the shifter in the pic for squirting

you know what.

Edited by mightymouse

Here is my first sketch. The way the vents should be are a little of because of perspective issues. Sorry. The top of the dash, similar to the Riviera is two pieces, they both swoop down to blend in to the shape of the vents. I also did the engraved gauges idea similar to the Riviera using the speedo you had. There is also a little groove in the drivers side panel to go on the dash that would fit your guage that was on the dash perfectly. I had inspiration from the Solstice as well, hence the grab bar and kind of the overall shape. I ditched the bowtie idea I had because it just didn't work but I filled an empty boring space with a bowtie emblem that you could easily buy or take off a Chevy. Here it is, hope you like it.

Posted Image

Guest YellowJacket894

My first idea. I wasn't sure on the issue of the air conditioning, so I carried it over from the old interior.

Posted Image

I'll try to go a little further the next time. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

New idea. The Bowtie serves as a radio housing, although I wouldn't leave the sides open like I sketched it. A metal or fiberglass filler panel would work great, though.

Posted Image

How about the monolithic black dash and console from an '82 Camaro?

197056[/snapback]

YEAH I was thinking something similar to this, maybe with an aluminum

race look....Excellent drawings you guys...no hvac controls, I plan on a

floor shifted auto, not a true manual.

The simpler the better.

Posted Image

current status....

Edited by mightymouse

Mightymouse! Sorry it took like four days for my lame ass to see your PM; hope these photos of my interior you asked for aren't too late! It's a great thread and I like the ideas I see so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Charcoal gray Riviera interior in a '79 shoebox might actually look pretty neat!

Please don't laugh at my cruddy steering wheel; it bugs me, too :lol:

Nope, that's a GM Delco combination CD player/tape deck stereo; first year for it in the car. '95 had a flat dashboard all the way across with a standard radio/tape deck and a slave CD player down in the console. It's the only real way you can physically tell a '95 apart from the '96-'99's unless you get under the hood and see a Series I supercharged 3.8, but naturally aspirated '95's had the Series II 3.8, so the only surefire way to tell a '95 from the others is by looking at the dash.

Guest YellowJacket894

Nope, that's a GM Delco combination CD player/tape deck stereo; first year for it in the car. '95 had a flat dashboard all the way across with a standard radio/tape deck and a slave CD player down in the console. It's the only real way you can physically tell a '95 apart from the '96-'99's unless you get under the hood and see a Series I supercharged 3.8, but naturally aspirated '95's had the Series II 3.8, so the only surefire way to tell a '95 from the others is by looking at the dash.

198596[/snapback]

I sware, it looks almost just like the one in our Dakota. :blink::D

My tattered, mis-matched Instrument Panel needs a rework. The thing that happened was I found a pile of instrumentation, beside the road and garbage picked some Camaro and other clusters from this gearhead down the street- truly a sign. 

I'm not kidding.  They are GM and match my cable end!                         

Posted Image

I have done many modifications to interiors, now it's your turn! here is a before-(we don't want anything like this)

Posted Image

I envision a sweeping,late model Riveria style panel, with an overhang or brow

that runs from door panel to door panel(top pad like a gen 3 Camaro also...)

Pencils pens chops please feel free to share your ideas for the best I/P & Console

I would like simple round tach and speedo in deep protruding tubes, like Solstice ....

which project from a way-foward-in-car sweeping surface. Like a motorcycle.

Only two 100mm round air outlets are preferred.

This is the cluster bezel I like...I might trim the bottom part of the bezel off,

or maybe make two deep angled tubes ala gen I camaro.

and it will relocate 10" foward or so after I yank the current 85mph bar speedo.

tubes - maybe aluminum finish? you tell me.

Posted Image

Please share your thoughts here, and I will fabricate the best ideas in the Malibu.

Like pimp my ride only with taste. The depth of a new smaller radio is the only limitation...

probably right in the center, as well as a floor shifter.

No idea is a bad one!  I can do fiberglass, so anything is possible.

I seriously appreciate all details :yes:  I really like that late Riv thing only smaller and cooler of course.

The prize is a GM performance division sticker that's cool.

196789[/snapback]

damn, that picture of the bonneville dash with 400 vents on it would have come in handy again here. why didn't i save it?

Hmm...

So, this is going to be different than when I saw it....heh.

Lookin' forward to seeing what you decide to do with the dash, mm!

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Wouldn't that be something?" ... Finger 11 ... '1 Thing'

Mightymouse! Sorry it took like four days for my lame ass to see your PM; hope these photos of my interior you asked for aren't too late! It's a great thread and I like the ideas I see so far.

Posted Image

198584[/snapback]

Thanks! I am drawing some like this....with aluminum finish...

top pad will be very similar, but charcoal.

I will scan my drawings soon, thanks for the great ideas.

• 10 months later...

OH wow ... that DOES look cool!

Dangumit ... wish I'd been able to get to Detroit. Would've loved to see it in person!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm gonna ride on the silver lining" ... FFH ... 'One Of These Days'