Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Spied: Production Ford Mondeo

it's nice, but do we need it here? I think the Fusion is a lot more distinctive looking and that would be it's likely slot.

Now, bring it upscale, put a waterfall grill on it, and call it the Milan... and you're talking.

Yeah, the wheels... look nearly exactly like what was on the Aura concept... how come I'm seeing them on other vehicles now? (I forgot the other couple I've seen that style on...)

Good looking car, though. :)

not really attractive. not good enough for the USA. the styling needs to be better if they are going to try for some style statement. otherwise, make a safe copycat design. this would go unloved here. aero is not in.

Edited by regfootball

Definitely a risk that FoMoCo USA is too pussy to take. I like it somewhat.

The Mondeo would be a better Mercury than a Ford. Ford of NA has always had purposeful, practical and stately designs. This Mondeo is elegant, feminine-looking and sexy...those are adjectives that in my mind better fit the Mercury "smoke and mirrors" image...especially since Mercury caters to the female buyer.

I think Ford should bring it here, but as a Mercury and not a Ford.

Also, the Fusion is really holding its own over here and is truly a quality piece of engineering.

it's nice, but do we need it here?  I think the Fusion is a lot more distinctive looking and that would be it's likely slot.

Now, bring it upscale, put a waterfall grill on it, and call it the Milan... and you're talking.

197032[/snapback]

That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it!

Hot car though--I'd take one.

If the Astra sells well here under the Saturn brand, Ford will probably look into importing this car and the focus under the Mercury brand. It would be a perfect fit since they are in a similar price range and would probably appeal to the same customer base.

not really attractive.  not good enough for the USA.  the styling needs to be better if they are going to try for some style statement.  otherwise, make a safe copycat design.  this would go unloved here.  aero is not in.

197164[/snapback]

this is akin to the GTO fiasco for Pontiac. and the catera for cadillac. i give it props for a nice interior though.

as a ford. if they do bring it here it must be a mercury.

Edited by regfootball

I am frankly amazed that some of you actually prefer the Fusion over this.  :stupid:

The Mondeo is BEAUTIFUL.

197263[/snapback]

I said I think the Fusion is more distinctive... and in that regard, it is.

This Mondeo is nice, but scrape the badges off and it could be a Ford, Kia, Hyundai, or Suzuki.

What are you ever going to mistake the Fusion for.... at least from the front?

I said I think the Fusion is more distinctive... and in that regard, it is.

This Mondeo is nice, but scrape the badges off and it could be a Ford, Kia, Hyundai, or Suzuki.

197472[/snapback]

Sorry, but I don't see how a boring sedan that shares most of it's body with the Milan and Zephyr is very distinctive.

Remove the chrome grill and I wonder how many people would recognize it?

I've had one guy mistake my car for a Cadillac(he may have been stoned), several others have asked me what kind of Ford it was, all have commented that its a very good looking car. I'm not sure what exactly is bland about it, compared to GM's midsize offerings over the last decade the Fusion is positively stunning.

Sorry, but I don't see how a boring sedan that shares most of it's body with the Milan and Zephyr is very distinctive.

Remove the chrome grill and I wonder how many people would recognize it?

197483[/snapback]

which is worse, removing a whole face and having people not recognize it?

or

removing a small blue oval badge and having people not recognize it?

Remove the chrome from some GM cars like Lucurne and no one would know, too.

Over in anohter message board, I stepped on some toes... No, actaully I hacked them off, by saying the Mondeo is overrated and should stay in EUR. Some Euor-centrics think just shipping them over would save the day.

But....

It would be a huge waste of $$ to bother, [remember the MErkurs? Anyone?] and it would bomb even worse called a Mercury. Buyers don't care about 'pedigree' or 'pureness', they want value, value, value.

After the exchange rate, an imported Mondeo would cost as much as a luxury car. And smart buyers know better, and would not bother and get a real lux car. Or, loyal Ford buyers [and they know Mercurys are tarted Fords] would say "what's the rebate?" and demand $8000 off like they did on Lincoln LS.

Look at how un-successful the Jaguar X type was, it was a MONDEO! People claim they would buy a Euro Ford if it was offered. Jaguar did, and where the %@$@# were these buyers??

Edited by Chicagoland

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook