Sign in to follow this  
regfootball

EXPLORER 2006

27 posts in this topic

regfootball    250

Dealers are advertising 10 grand off list on explorers.

For just a little over 20k you can get a new 4x4 Exploder with ABS, 4x4, and Advance trac.

OK< we know they drive like trucks and get mediocre fuel mileage.

A friend and excoworker had one in 2004 I rode in once and it was a quiet comfy machine to be in.

Like Trailblazers (and to a lesser extent Grand Cherokees) they seem to be the poster children for the vehicles abused by the gas price hike and customer shift to CUV's.

The question begs to be asked though....

at these give away prices are some consumers getting a raging bargain for a very capable durable all weather vehicle

OR

is this nothing other then pure desperation by Ford and something the customer no longer wants?

I will be cruising the lot tomorrow. I think Explorer sales will eventually start back up again, if they price them like this.

Edited by regfootball

Member55    0

Dealers are advertising 10 grand off list on explorers.

For just a little over 20k you can get a new 4x4 Exploder with ABS, 4x4, and Advance trac.

OK< we know they drive like trucks and get mediocre fuel mileage.

A friend and excoworker had one in 2004 I rode in once and it was a quiet comfy machine to be in.

Like Trailblazers (and to a lesser extent Grand Cherokees) they seem to be the poster children for the vehicles abused by the gas price hike and customer shift to CUV's.

The question begs to be asked though....

at these give away prices are some consumers getting a raging bargain for a very capable durable all weather vehicle

OR

is this nothing other then pure desperation by Ford and something the customer no longer wants?

I will be cruising the lot tomorrow. I think Explorer sales will eventually start back up again, if they price them like this.

197123[/snapback]

I suspect there are not manny people who qualify for all of the rebates dealers like to bunch up. Eather way this is a good time to buy a vehicle like Explorer. What do they get in city in real life driving,14 MPG? That's only 3 MPG less than my CTS.

Member55    0

it seems from user reports i see 13-18 mpg seems what they get, in town.

197151[/snapback]

I was getting ~17 MPG from my Escape in city so my guess is the Explorer is closer to 13 than to 18 MPG. Anyway, people are buying Escapes and similar sized SUVs like there is no tomorrow and in real life they only get ~20% better fuel economy. The thing is you can get an Explorer for almost the same money as an Escape these days.

Edited by Member55

regfootball    250

The thing is you can get an Explorer almost for the same money as an Escape these days.

197155[/snapback]

EXACTLY.

i saw a new jeep compass on the lot for 25k today. IOW, you can get an exploder for less than a new compass. but you will pay more in gas. My Aztek gets 20mpg, I think its sick that an Escape only gets 17......

ocnblu    773
Edge will further weaken, perhaps even kill, the Explorer.

Croc    268

I'm 50/50 on whether or not Ford will kill the Explorer. I mean, if the market shifts...but at the same time the Explorer is so damned iconic that ending it due to market shifts would be just as bad as cutting the Camaro.

pow    106

I'm 50/50 on whether or not Ford will kill the Explorer.  I mean, if the market shifts...but at the same time the Explorer is so damned iconic that ending it due to market shifts would be just as bad as cutting the Camaro.

197236[/snapback]

Same with the Taurus.

Croc    268

No, Taurus has not been the best-selling ___ ever since it was introduced. The first and second generations were, but the third and fourth weren't at all. The Explorer has been at the top of its segment for its entire lifespan.

Northstar    11

No, Taurus has not been the best-selling ___ ever since it was introduced.  The first and second generations were, but the third and fourth weren't at all.  The Explorer has been at the top of its segment for its entire lifespan.

197244[/snapback]

No, last year the TrailBlazer outsold the Explorer. 244k units vs. 239k units.

Croc    268

I'll cross-check that then...I just did a report on Ford for a business class and the most recent data I had pointed to it still being the perpetual sales king. I'm on it...

EDIT: Yep, you're right...

so Explorer has been the sales king in its segment for every year except one. Still pretty damn impressive.

Edited by Croc

mustang84    12

I've read somewhere that future Explorers may go more toward offroading...it's all just speculation but I'd like to see them sized down and geared more toward the Grand Cherokee market. Kind of like the Bronco used to be except have seating for 7.

The days of Explorers selling 400K are over, but there's still a market for them.

Croc    268

I've read somewhere that future Explorers may go more toward offroading...it's all just speculation but I'd like to see them sized down and geared more toward the Grand Cherokee market.  Kind of like the Bronco used to be except have seating for 7.

The days of Explorers selling 400K are over, but there's still a market for them.

197249[/snapback]

I like that idea.

Honestly I don't see the need for anything bigger than the Explorer. It seats 7 comfortably and has an awesome amount of interior flexibility. The cargo capacity is excellent, and it drives well.

I can say I was not wanting it when the rental company gave it to us, but in roadtripping with it across America, I am sold.

caddycruiser    50

It's still a terrific ute, I just think the market is moving away from that segment with more and more new crossovers. Still popular, but strangely enough the trend dropped off significantly enough right about the same time Ford revamped both the Explorer and Mountaineer.

Grand Cherokees still seem to do decently, and TB/Envoy's slowed down, but not excessively. That said, out of all of them, the Fords definately are the most refined, have the best fit & finish, best features, and an actually comfortable 3rd row in a short package. Side to side with a TB, for instance, they make the GM's feel and look like rattle cans from 15 years ago--and real owners admit to this, as I was just reading a thread on a Trailblazer/Envoy owner's board making comparisons and saying the quality and dynamics of their GM's were admittedly awful, but they still liked some things.

But still, I'm not sure why the Fords have died off so much. Still a great design, and the perfect size for most people, but they just don't sell. Almost like when they took it upscale a tad, eliminating the bad interior and fixing some refinement issues, it lost its touch? Or, more so, maybe it's just because there's more choices out there than ever before.

Edited by caddycruiser

Croc    268

I think the gas prices had a lot to do with it. This middle-America segment is very price-sensitive. I would expect sales to tick up a bit now that prices have dropped for gas.

regfootball    250

I'm 50/50 on whether or not Ford will kill the Explorer.  I mean, if the market shifts...but at the same time the Explorer is so damned iconic that ending it due to market shifts would be just as bad as cutting the Camaro.

197236[/snapback]

^^^^ exactly

regfootball    250

I like that idea.

Honestly I don't see the need for anything bigger than the Explorer.  It seats 7 comfortably and has an awesome amount of interior flexibility.  The cargo capacity is excellent, and it drives well.

I can say I was not wanting it when the rental company gave it to us, but in roadtripping with it across America, I am sold.

197252[/snapback]

that is why it sold so well. Ford needs to keep and improve the exploder. even if they only sell 150k a year. What they NEED to do is the base model mpg up to a 20 mpg point. city.

regfootball    250

It's still a terrific ute, I just think the market is moving away from that segment with more and more new crossovers.  Still popular, but strangely enough the trend dropped off significantly enough right about the same time Ford revamped both the Explorer and Mountaineer.

Grand Cherokees still seem to do decently, and TB/Envoy's slowed down, but not excessively.  That said, out of all of them, the Fords definately are the most refined, have the best fit & finish, best features, and an actually comfortable 3rd row in a short package.  Side to side with a TB, for instance, they make the GM's feel and look like rattle cans from 15 years ago--and real owners admit to this, as I was just reading a thread on a Trailblazer/Envoy owner's board making comparisons and saying the quality and dynamics of their GM's were admittedly awful, but they still liked some things.

But still, I'm not sure why the Fords have died off so much.  Still a great design, and the perfect size for most people, but they just don't sell.  Almost like when they took it upscale a tad, eliminating the bad interior and fixing some refinement issues, it lost its touch?  Or, more so, maybe it's just because there's more choices out there than ever before.

197253[/snapback]

Ford has dropped the ball on keeping the interior fresh, mostly. I think it would help if they put a new motor in them. a new 4.0 duratec and a new v8. do they have 6 speed trannies now.?

ocnblu    773
Hmmm... it would save Ford millions to build the next Explorer/Sport Trac/Ranger on one platform, oriented more toward off-road ruggedness. Leave Edge to the city dwellers. But where does that leave the awesome Bronco Concept? Edited by ocnblu

Northstar    11

Hmmm... it would save Ford millions to build the next Explorer/Sport Trac/Ranger on one platform, oriented more toward off-road ruggedness.  Leave Edge to the city dwellers.  but where does that leave the awesome Bronco Concept?

197304[/snapback]

Maybe it could be the 2-door Explorer.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this