Chrysler Dealers Still Loaded with 2006s

Variance

Chrysler Dealers Still Loaded with 2006s

Posted Image

Chrysler, and all the brands contained within, is not experiencing the typical surge in dealer orders for model year 2007 vehicles that's typical for this time of year. Dealers, unable to unload the 2006 models already on their lots, are all about supporting their company, but not at the expense of their bottom line.

Read "Chrysler dealers don't want '07s" @ Autoblog

What a change from even just a year ago. I really hope in the midst of their push to pump out so many new things, they really don't start going off the deep end in terms of letting design and tactile quality slide. The 300 was just right at just the right time, then they just seemed to go on full boost in terms of releasing other new models, and not really giving full focus to any of them. Think of the worst-in-industry interior finishes in some models (Caliber/Compass), doofy styling (Sebring), and more to come. I guess the next big thing for them will be the vans, which of course will incorporate all the additional new features from competitors, but better also have a few new ingenious things to set them apart, as well as styling that's very well sorted and attractive and an interior that doesn't suffer from plastic model kit syndrome look and feel. And then throw in a minor 300/Magnum/Charger refresh with some updated trim and an interior from the next grade up.

I still love a lot of their products, especially the LX cars no matter what anyone here says, but it's REALLY time to take a step back I think and get more focused and for them to get a better handle on producing more of what has always gotten them out of trouble--beautiful vehicles that drive terrific, have great quality, and pricetags that almost seem too low for what the car is. Actually, anymore, I think GM is the one who got that mantra loud and clear and kind of took over the recipe...

Edited by caddycruiser

No surprise that the LX car aura wore off quickly. Once you realize the 300 is all flash with little substance, your left with a midgrade large midsize sedan with many compromises.

197536[/snapback]

Little substance? I suppose RWD, good engines (3.5 and up), good trannies (5-speeds), lots of inerior room, dencent interiors with plenty of features, saftey gadgets, and of course, distinctive style. The nly compromise I can think of atm is small greenhouse, and possibly gas mileage.

The LX cars are great cars, I love them all. A yellow Super Bee at a local car show on Saturday blew my socks off, I had to go barefooted the rest of the day. My socks landed in a nearby maple tree. Top branch.

The 300 still impresses. What a great style and presence that car has, no doubt, especially in the upper level trims.

The LXs, Caliber, and to a lesser extent, the PT are all the car business Chrysler has, really. The new Avenger/Sebring cannot come on fast enough.

I'm the Blu. The Magnum rental I had was amazing. The interior was fine, there was more than enough power out of the 3.5L and it still got stares. Granted, I didn't drive the 300 or Charger and I do believe the 300 should have a nicer interior than it does but they were groundbreaking cars for Chrysler and, arguably, for the industry, considering the piles we have been sold for the past few decades.

Looking at what products Chrysler has... I'm not surprised. The LX cars, especially the 300, are ugly except the Magnum, while the interiors are cheap. The Caliber and Compass, also ugly with cheaper than cheap interiors. The PT is outdated and, like anything else DCX has, is ugly with a cheap interior (especially since the facelift). The Durango, GC, Commander, and Dakota are also all ugly with cheap interiors. The minivans are all outdated. The cloud cars are about the worse cars you can buy. Even the upcoming Sebring and Avenger are ugly. I cant speak for the interiors yet, but I doubt they'll be anything but cheap.

Again, I'm not surprised in the least.

To those who still claim that the 300 and other LX's were a fad that would end after 3-6 months.......you were, and still are, wrong! The Magnum may have become a niche vehicle, but the Charger has certainly made up for it. I say ditch the Magnum, and make room for the Challenger!

See the section on LX vehicles. This is "year to date" sales as of August.

Posted Image

To those who still claim that the 300 and other LX's were a fad that would end after 3-6 months.......you were, and still are, wrong!  The Magnum may have become a niche vehicle, but the Charger has certainly made up for it.  I say ditch the Magnum, and make room for the Challenger!

198268[/snapback]

I would certainly hope the LX line wouldn't have been a fad because Chrysler replaced an entire four-vehicle lineup of excellent cars with two sedans and an intermediate wagon.

To those who still claim that the 300 and other LX's were a fad that would end after 3-6 months.......you were, and still are, wrong!  The Magnum may have become a niche vehicle, but the Charger has certainly made up for it.  I say ditch the Magnum, and make room for the Challenger!

See the section on LX vehicles.  This is "year to date" sales as of August.

198268[/snapback]

As sooooo many here like to point out against GM = ***FLEET SALES***

so what point are you trying to show here? the fact that none... yes NONE of the LX bodies are on the top twenty selling cars list?

oh wait no you mustve wanted to point out that the top 7 selling cars... actually outsold ALL 3 LX body cars COMBINED

or better yet... did you want to point out that Honda... with 20 vehicles... outsold Chrysler with 26?

wait a second... werent you arguing for DCX? coulda fooled me...

so what point are you trying to show here? the fact that none... yes NONE of the LX bodies are on the top twenty selling cars list?

oh wait no you mustve wanted to point out that the top 7 selling cars... actually outsold ALL 3 LX body cars COMBINED

or better yet... did you want to point out that Honda... with 20 vehicles... outsold Chrysler with 26?

wait a second... werent you arguing for DCX? coulda fooled me...

198340[/snapback]

I'm in no way trying to claim that Chrysler has an LX in the "top 20" selling vehicles. Chrysler has always historically had a lower market share than Ford or GM. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is people making uninformed statements about how certain vehicles are "no longer selling", when they are actually selling more than the previous model year. Comparing Chrysler's market share to the rest of the Big 3, or the Asians, is apples to oranges.

The fact is, the LX's are on a pace to sell over 50K more combined than last year....due to the Charger fully coming online, no doubt.

C'mon.....the top 7 selling "cars" are trucks and America's Japanese love children.

Fleet sales last year were 24.1% for the 300, and checking this year's stats it's at 27.5%, so it has had a rather small increase in fleet sales. However, don't forget that the LX cars had no incentives last year and this year you can spin a good deal on one. So... I'd say retail sales are about even, but the average transaction price is definetly lower.

Chrysler's problem is not really the LX cars. It's more that they depend on a lot of sales from trucks and the now-outdated minivans. Aside from the LX cars, what Chrysler cars actually sell well in the retail market? The Caliber does ok, but other than that... nothing does anything.

See the section on LX vehicles.  This is "year to date" sales as of August.

Posted Image

198268[/snapback]

hey thats alot of good info where did you locate all of it from?

DCX has many problems that are showing up now that the 300 glamor has started to wear off. Too many trucks, engines that are getting old and outdated, ugly styling, high prices on certian models etc. I will never forget the time I sat in a new 06 PT Cruiser that was pretty loaded up with the base 2.4 and started it up. It was very loud, crude and vibrated the steering wheel until it fully warmed up. This was right after getting out of my buddys 05 Malibu Classic with the 2.2 Ecotec which was much smoother and quieter and easier to live with. And the Cruiser was over 20K!

:puke: Has anyone really driven let alone looked at the Dodge Caliber?

My sister inlaw liked the look and I took her to check it out and test drive the auto. The inside quality was really bad, there was a whine with the vehicle loaded with 4 adults and the CVT sounded like it would die.

Not to mention that someone had been in the vehicle with greasy shoes and dirty hands as there were hand prints on the ceiling.

Dealer said they would clean it up, but BS if you do not have pride in the auto's you sell how can you let a vehicle look so bad when you try to sell it. I do not see the quality in the Caliber that was in the Neon. Dealers seem to be willing to just sell and not care. Sad for Chrysler. :(

DCX has many problems that are showing up now that the 300 glamor has started to wear off. Too many trucks, engines that are getting old and outdated, ugly styling, high prices on certian models etc. I will never forget the time I sat in a new 06 PT Cruiser that was pretty loaded up with the base 2.4 and started it up. It was very loud, crude and vibrated the steering wheel until it fully warmed up. This was right after getting out of my buddys 05 Malibu Classic with the 2.2 Ecotec which was much smoother and quieter and easier to live with. And the Cruiser was over 20K!

198752[/snapback]

You think a car that came out in 2001 is going to have the same refinement as a car that came out in 2004? The PT Cruiser platform is pretty old, and will be replaced very soon. However it is still one the top 5 selling compacts.

Chrysler is not relying on trucks. They just have alot of new products coming out, to replace the aging products: brand new Sebring and Avenger midsizers, brand new compacts Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass, and Jeep Patriot, and brand new mid-size SUV's in the Dodge Nitro, new Jeep Liberty, and also a brand new Wrangler. Plus, the biggest thing is just off the horizon.....the new minivans!

Chrysler is selling alot of 300/Chargers because they are the only "newer" vehicles that Chrysler has out right now....not counting trucks and Jeeps. Caliber sales have taken off already.

I love how most of the members on this site seem to find any reason they can to bitch about Chrysler, even if the statements aren't all true. Who here has sat in an LX car or driven one? The interiors are not "cheap" but are actually quite nice, they handle very well compared to their FWD rivals, and even better with sport suspension. All the cars are distinctly styled and are much bolder than any of the rivals. The cars ar not "cheap" at all. Is their room for improvement? Sure. Make 5 speeds available on all engines for the 300 and Magnum, and perhaps even ditch the 2.7 (except maybe for fleet duty).

The Caliber, while not perfect, is selling very well both here an abroad. It could use improvements too, but then so can the Cobalt, Civic, etc. Personally, I can't wait for the SRT-4...

Chrysler’s problem isn't the LX cars or the Caliber, but declining sales of the trucks, and lack of other new product. Both issues are being addressed.

The refreshed (and much better looking) Durango should help stop it's sales slide, especially with a hybrid version on the way.

The Sebring/Avenger will no doubt give DCX a much needed sales boost, now that they are competitive again. Their distinctly different style will attract different sets of buyers. Now if only they offered a light Turbo or an powerful SRT to the Avenger... Even so, while you guys seem to think it's 3.5 is underpowered, it's better than the Fusion and not that far from the rest of the competition. If it handles well, DCX should be in good shape.

There's the smaller Nitro, which will give SUV buyers a smaller, more fuel-efficient alternative to the Durango.

The Minivans are around the corner, and I have no doubt they will be class leading when they debut.

The PT is an older car, but still a good, practical and fun (in GT form). Plus it's due for a redesign not to long from now, and even so it still sells well.

Jeep gets a new Liberty, a Patriot for those who want something tougher and more traditional than the Compass, the new Wrangler, and hopefully a refreshed GC.

So really, DCX is addressing it's product issues in the very near future, which should bring it's sales back up.

Could it use improvement? Sure. DCX needs a new V6 that should have like 270+ hp, replace all 4-speeds with at least 5-speeds. They need hybrids, and not just the Durango. They need a B-segment car soon, since they will no doubt be getting much more popular. The Caliber needs a traditional automatic option, and should have a Nav option too. But ya know, all companies need improvement, it's not just Chrysler...look at GM, Ford and even Toyota (this year's recall whore). They still need to improve.

Edited by Dodgefan

DCX's #1 'white elephants' are the Durangos. They are smaller than Tahoes, but get worse MPG. I see lots of unsold ones at local Dodge dealers. The Dakota is also a flop.

The full sized Ram seems to be fading too, and with new Chevy trucks, will hurt more.

199208[/snapback]

There it is again. Another statement that is completely false.

Just look at the chart I posted earlier in the thread:

Posted Image

Here are the numbers through August:

Dodge Ram - 2005: 283,310 2006: 250,663 Total Change: -32,647

Ford F-Series - 2005: 625,047 2006: 545,963 Total Change: -79,084

Chevy Silverado - 2005: 570,860 2006: 467,040 Total Change: -103,820

Unless you meant that the Ram's sales were fading.....just as all other automakers truck sales were fading (due to gas prices)??

Well you gotta admit GM's numbers aren't that bad when taken IN context, which is to say that a lot of dealers probably held off buying too deep with the new truck coming soon. I know we did. Just like we did a year ago with the '05 Impala. Even with huge discounting, a lot of customers would rather wait for the new truck, ESPECIALLY because the reported gas mileage is better.

You think a car that came out in 2001 is going to have the same refinement as a car that came out in 2004?  The PT Cruiser platform is pretty old, and will be replaced very soon.  However it is still one the top 5 selling compacts.

199141[/snapback]

He said Malibu Classic... as in the fleeted N-Body Malibu that was sold along side the new Malibu. FYI, It came out back in 1997.

I love how most of the members on this site seem to find any reason they can to bitch about Chrysler, even if the statements aren't all true. Who here has sat in an LX car or driven one? The interiors are not "cheap" but are actually quite nice, they handle very well compared to their FWD rivals, and even better with sport suspension. All the cars are distinctly styled and are much bolder than any of the rivals. The cars ar not "cheap" at all. Is their room for improvement? Sure. Make 5 speeds available on all engines for the 300 and Magnum, and perhaps even ditch the 2.7 (except maybe for fleet duty).

The Caliber, while not perfect, is selling very well both here an abroad. It could use improvements too, but then so can the Cobalt, Civic, etc. Personally, I can't wait for the SRT-4...

Chrysler’s problem isn't the LX cars or the Caliber, but declining sales of the trucks, and lack of other new product. Both issues are being addressed.

The refreshed (and much better looking) Durango should help stop it's sales slide, especially with a hybrid version on the way.

The Sebring/Avenger will no doubt give DCX a much needed sales boost, now that they are competitive again. Their distinctly different style will attract different sets of buyers. Now if only they offered a light Turbo or an powerful SRT to the Avenger... Even so, while you guys seem to think it's 3.5 is underpowered, it's better than the Fusion and not that far from the rest of the competition. If it handles well, DCX should be in good shape.

There's the smaller Nitro, which will give SUV buyers a smaller, more fuel-efficient alternative to the Durango.

The Minivans are around the corner, and I have no doubt they will be class leading when they debut.

The PT is an older car, but still a good, practical and fun (in GT form). Plus it's due for a redesign not to long from now, and even so it still sells well.

Jeep gets a new Liberty, a Patriot for those who want something tougher and more traditional than the Compass, the new Wrangler, and hopefully a refreshed GC.

So really, DCX is addressing it's product issues in the very near future, which should bring it's sales back up.

Could it use improvement? Sure. DCX needs a new V6 that should have like 370+ hp, replace all 4-speeds with at least 5-speeds. They need hybrids, and not just the Durango. They need a B-segment car soon, since they will no doubt be getting much more popular. The Caliber needs a traditional automatic option, and should have a Nav option too. But ya know, all companies need improvement, it's not just Chrysler...look at GM, Ford and even Toyota (this year's recall whore). They still need to improve.

199157[/snapback]

Blind loyalty is the worst.

YES, most of the newest DCX interiors share a resemblance in style and the grain of the material. But what makes them "cheap"? Dare I say it is only because of their general "boxiness" and not for any real reason?

"Cheap", to me, equals flimsy, or easily broken. I don't see evidence of those traits in current DCX interiors. I do see a sameness across the lineup that the new Sebring seems to be breaking from somewhat.

All the carmakers go through interior "epochs". GM and Ford have their own, now, as always. Just because DCX's interiors, to a degree, resemble stacked boxes, doesn't necessessarily mean they'll rattle or fall apart. If it's the style you don't like, that's one thing, but boxiness doesn't always equal "cheap".

Oh Ocn... :rolleyes::P

All I know is that... They're cheap, as in materials used. I once touched the dash of a Caliber with more force than I planned and I ended up in the hospital. Broke the skin and the bone. That's usually a sign when plastics are pretty damn cheap. :D

Edited by blackviper8891

Didnt say that... I said I broke the bone and the broke skin. Ofcourse, maybe that was a dream... :P

Still, those plastics are mighty cheap by my standards. I dont care about your standards as they only address the rigidy of the dash. In that case, a Caliber has more expensive interior than a Lucerne. Yeah, I think not. Though, my Millenia has both beat in both instances.

:puke:  Has anyone really driven let alone looked at the Dodge Caliber?

My sister inlaw liked the look and I took her to check it out and test drive the auto.  The inside quality was really bad, there was a whine with the vehicle loaded with 4 adults and the CVT sounded like it would die.

Not to mention that someone had been in the vehicle with greasy shoes and dirty hands as there were hand prints on the ceiling.

Dealer said they would clean it up, but BS if you do not have pride in the auto's you sell how can you let a vehicle look so bad when you try to sell it.  I do not see the quality in the Caliber that was in the Neon.  Dealers seem to be willing to just sell and not care.  Sad for Chrysler.  :(

198801[/snapback]

I've had a Caliber loaner car for about three days now......and it's much better than I expected.

Check C&G Drives for my review.....

Well I had the pleasure of having an 06' Caliber in my garage for about 9 days while my wifes car was being fixed(some asshole sideswiped her on I-55)

Anyways let me just get to the point. The car, while not necessarily terrible on any front, looked, felt and drove exactly like what it was: a RENTED Dodge. The interior attempted to impress but thats about as far as it goes. Everything was boxy and hard to touch, although the actual switchgear seemed fine for that segment.

Whats funny is after all that fuss over their use of the word 'ferry' in the original commercial, and outcries from the gay community, I thought the car was decidedly feminine and felt a little less 'manly' while driving it. Seems that a gay man would have been the perfect icon to market this car.(I'm ragging on the car and not gays so don't get upset) And for the rest of the DCX lineup:

The 300c still looks gangster when chromed out and sitting on big wheels.(a good thing)

The magnum is a station wagon, a STATION WAGON for GOD'S sake. Who gives a damn if you order the hemi, it is a friggin mommy mobile!!!!!!!(Nissan can tell you about how little people care when you soup up a mommy mobile read: Quest Minivan

The challenger has grown on me. The little boy in me sees a resemblence to the 'general lee'(dukes of hazzard) and that will always be cool. Still wouldn't buy one though.

And as for that compass thing, I don't even believe I would let a person park that crap in my driveway.

Dodgefan, I admire your passion toward your favorite brand. Folks rarely agree, but you do raise some good arguments. In this one though i'd have to say your assertion that the Chrysler interiors are 'quite nice' are a bit unfounded. I have not been impressed with what I have seen inside the LX cars.......

Dodgefan, I admire your passion toward your favorite brand. Folks rarely agree, but you do raise some good arguments. In this one though i'd have to say your assertion that the Chrysler interiors are 'quite nice' are a bit unfounded. I have not been impressed with what I have seen inside the LX cars.......

199646[/snapback]

Excuse me. But the LX car interiors have more (and beter) soft touch surfaces than any Buick Lucerne.

Excuse me. But the LX car interiors have more (and beter) soft touch surfaces than any Buick Lucerne.

199794[/snapback]

True.....

The top half of the dash and the door panels are soft...and have a very nice grain. (It's not seen in any other DCX interior.....not the crappy stuff in other DCX's....)

The optional tortoise-shell trim does a way better impression of something "real" than the woodgrain in the Lucerne.

The standard silver trim on the center stack looks and feels more like actual metal that the silver plastic found in some GM cars (Corvette for one....)

There's other very minor things about the LX interiors that make a better impression on me....the solidity of the shifter through the gates (C&D's opinion of the Lucerne's is right on spot....like dragging the shifter through a box of rocks.)

Lucerne's really isn't bad....it IS an attractive interior....and switchgear operation is world-class. It's just that there seems to be way more indications of where Buick cut costs with this car than where DCX did with the LX interiors.

Edited by The O.C.

The 300C's interior plastics aren't horrible, but the sheer quantity makes it overwhelming. Most interiors have a diversity of materials that break up monotone slabs of molded plastic; the LX interiors don't. The door panels have no cloth or leather inserts, and the high beltline (sitting-in-a-bathtub effect) doesn't help.

Overall the Lucerne's interior ambiance seems richer, IMO.

Edited by empowah

199794[/snapback]

Funny, I never mentioned the LX interiors in comparison to any other vehicle, just generally unimpressive on their own merit. You however compare them right to the Lucerne, which has been gaining momentum like a frieght train month-after-month with little or no incentives.

Considering this thread is about the saturation of DCX dealers with LX cars and noting that Lucerne is kicking ass in the entry-luxury segment(you know, the one which includes the all-new 06' Avalon and 07' Es350?) I hardly see where you make a valid point.

The Magnum (and MAXX for that matter) are more hatchbacks than station wagons.

199869[/snapback]

Point Taken. I guess I never looked at them long enough to make the differentiation.

Yeah, but I'll be the first to say, that's not saying much. The Lucerne's interior is cheaper than a 12 year old Mazda. A base model Mazda at that.

Mazda....Mazda.....hmmm oh Mazda, Yeah, I think I have heard of this car line before. They sold those bland ass 626's and Protege's in the 90's right? Are they still selling cars??? No $h!. I guess you DO learn something new everyday... Edited by Regalguy01

Funny, I never mentioned the LX interiors in comparison to any other vehicle, just generally unimpressive on their own merit.  You however compare them right to the Lucerne, which has been gaining momentum like a frieght train month-after-month with little or no incentives.

Considering this thread is about the saturation of DCX dealers with LX cars and noting that Lucerne is kicking ass in the entry-luxury segment(you know, the one which includes the all-new 06' Avalon and 07' Es350?) I hardly see where you make a valid point.

Point Taken. I guess I never looked at them long enough to make the differentiation.

Mazda....Mazda.....hmmm oh Mazda, Yeah,  I think I have heard of this car line before. They sold those bland ass 626's and Protege's in the 90's right? Are they still selling cars??? No $h!. I guess you DO learn something new everyday...

199927[/snapback]

LOL!!!!!!! :pokeowned:

He said Malibu Classic... as in the fleeted N-Body Malibu that was sold along side the new Malibu. FYI, It came out back in 1997.

Blind loyalty is the worst.

199447[/snapback]

How is stating what the companyt is doing and what it still needs to do blind loyalty? Seriously, could you not think of a better response than that?

Actually, the Magnum is a very poor station wagon. I'd consider it more of a sportwagon.

199667[/snapback]

I ain't splitting hairs with you Fly, but its as much a 'sport wagon' as the Buick Terrazza is a 'Crossover Sport Van'.

In Fact, ask that 94 year old mumbling, rugg-$h!ting grandpa you refer to some time. I'll bet he'd call it a station wagon for sure! :rolleyes:

I ain't splitting hairs with you Fly, but its as much a 'sport wagon' as the Buick Terrazza is a 'Crossover Sport Van'.

In Fact, ask that 94 year old mumbling, rugg-$h!ting grandpa you refer to some time. I'll bet he'd call it a station wagon for sure! :rolleyes:

199995[/snapback]

It's the most badass station wagon on the planet :P

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

Heh. By 'sportwagon' I mean it certainly is designed with vestiges of the traditional station wagon bodystyle, but lacks the traditional wagon utility, like a roof rack that's optional, less cargo space than a regular wagon, and no third-row jumpseat.

Of course, people don't care about normal wagons anymore. They'd much rather pay more for less economy, less utility, and goofy styling in a crossover and think they make so much sense.