Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New 2007 Silverado "Our Country. Our Truck."

Derek77

Chevrolet Launches New 2007 Silverado "Our Country. Our Truck." Marketing Campaign

Featuring John Mellencamp's new song, "Our Country"

DETROIT, Mich. – Today, Chevrolet announced plans for a multi-media marketing campaign in support of their all-new, 2007 Silverado full-size pickup. The integrated campaign employs both traditional and non-traditional elements and debuts with high-impact print inserts in USA Today on Sep. 29 followed by television spots on Sep. 30.

An extension of the "An American Revolution" campaign, the new Silverado advertising, themed “Our Country. Our Truck.”, embodies the spirit of the American pickup owner and reinforces Chevy’s positioning as the maker of the most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the road.

“The research behind this new truck confirmed what we’ve seen for decades. Chevrolet buyers remain hard-working, loyal and dependable. While they would never say so, the people who know Silverado owners see them as ‘everyday heroes,’ they are family men as well as firemen,” says Ed Peper, Chevrolet General Manager. “This new marketing campaign celebrates the connection our truck buyers have to their families and their country, while acknowledging that they want and need a truck as dependable as they are,” continued Peper. “American pickup owners recognize that we have a proud legacy building trucks, we’ve been doing it for 89 years, and we’re proud to deliver an all-new Silverado that will once again set the benchmark with segment-leading power and fuel economy,” Peper said.

The advertising will feature new music from American music legend John Mellencamp. Mellencamp’s, "Our Country" anthem combines the power of his convictions with the essence of the American experience to provide the perfect backdrop for the new Silverado campaign. “ About a year ago, I wrote this song to tell a story about some of the challenges our country faces and how our beliefs and ideals can help us meet them. This partnership with Chevy – an American company that is creating jobs and supporting our communities – makes perfect sense for a song that is all about standing up for the working people who are the backbone of our nation,” said Mellencamp. The agreement to use Mellencamp's song runs at least through 2007.

The campaign was developed by Campbell-Ewald, one of Chevrolet’s agencies of record. Bill Ludwig, vice chairman, chief creative officer at Campbell-Ewald said that while the agency was working on a campaign to position the new Silverado as the pure American truck, John Mellencamp shared a demo of his new song “Our Country” with him. “I knew the minute I heard the song that it would be the music for the next epic Silverado campaign,” Ludwig said. “We hope that ’Our Country. Our Truck.’ will inspire people to think, ’Yeah. These are the bruises and scars that have shaped our nation, and we have rebuilt ourselves spiritually, emotionally and physically,’” he continued.

Chevrolet’s marketing efforts kick-off at the State Fair of Texas on September 27, where Silverado 200,000 Mile Club members will help unveil the all-new, Silverado to the public. From there, a caravan of Silverados from across the generations, led by its newest member, will embark on a 3-day journey to Camden, New Jersey, site of this year’s Farm Aid concert event. Chevy Silverado’s “Drive for Farm Aid” will make three stops for street parties in Nashville, Indianapoli s and Pittsburgh. Along the way, the caravan will raise funds for Farm Aid and collect non-perishable food items. Farm Aid is an organization whose mission is to support local farmers and John Mellencamp is one of its founding fathers.

Silverado’s launch campaign will include sponsorship of iconic media properties like the World Series and the Country Music Awards. Chevy will also present NBC’s new Sunday Night Football in America with a 90-second opening spot celebrating America ’s passion for the game.

The campaign will also feature a 28-minute infomercial narrated by Football great, Howie Long, and custom-published 24-page print onserts, an automotive industry first, that will be included in “polybags” along with popular magazine titles like Motor Trend,Field and Stream and Popular Science. These longer-format market pieces, along with in-depth information available online at chevy.com, will provide the comprehensive product review that in-market truck buyers are looking for.

“We’re excited about the truly integrated campaign we’ve put together,” Peper notes. “We’re using some new ways to engage consumers and share the Silverado story, but all campaign components come together around the theme of the everyday American hero and his truck.”

Communications directed to Hispanic consumers are an important part of the new Silverado’s marketing launch and dedicated Hispanic advertising will break on October 21 during the World Series. The campaign recognizes the strong contributions Hispanics have made to American culture over the years. Information about the Hispanic campaign will be shared at a later date.

Chevrolet Launches New 2007 Silverado "Our Country. Our Truck." Marketing Campaign

While I'm not too much of a fan of Mellencamp, I do think that the "Our Country, Our Truck" campaign is going to do well because like in the commercials from yesteryear, everyone knows that Chevy (and GMC) build the longest-lasting trucks on the market today, I still see more older Chevy and GMC trucks on the road than I do old Fords and Dodges. I really think that this is a good idea. now I just wish that I'd get an email from the 200,000 mile club with the directions to the state fair in Texas, or at least where they'll be partying in Nashville so I can go and join at least once along the trip.

<_< Funny I just saw a commercial last night here in Seattle about Fords having more trucks with over 250,000 miles than any builder in the US. They show a very old ford truck from the 40's or 50's I think that this guy restores for his father.

Over all not an impressive commercial.

I do love the Our Country, Our Truck tag line. This and the Built like a Rock are great lines about GM's trucks. :D Kinda why I own multiple GMC's. 8)

Hey ocnblu, wanna see what a 2007 Silverado Regular Cab Shortbed 2wd pickup looks like?

Head over to the nearest Toys R Us. They are selling a radio controlled version in either black or red... must be 1:12th scale b/c it's pretty big. Of course it's blinged-out and you can plug your MP3 player underneath the bed so it can blast your music through the many speakers that are in the bed.

At least it will give you an idea of what the regular cab, shortbed models look like. Damn truck isn't even out on the dealer's lots yet and you can already buy a toy of it... I've had my SKY for five (5) months and still no toys of it :angry:

Camden, New Jersey, site of this year’s Farm Aid concert event.

197801[/snapback]

:blink::confused0071: there are no farms in Camden... AND its the homicide capital of the world... WHY would you hold the Farm Aid concert there?

Any ad with a patriotic theme is going to reinforce what the liberal urban type A CR reading twits already think, that GM is redneck and BELOW them. however, I think that's just fine. It's about time we gave a collective F U in our advertising to these groups which try to think they decide the mantra for the rest of the world. I am fine with them being proud and quite honestly I am cool with them leaving in the scene with the nuclear bomb drop on Japan as well. You know its gonna be controversial and it will get pulled because of whiners complaining but it will draw lots of attention to this new lauch and will prove, hey, Japan, you f'ed with us before. We're gonna protect what's ours, regardless of what the pansies in our country think. And we are ultimately going to come out on top....when push comes to shove. It will be a great reminder to people, that yes, IT DOES matter sometimes who you support with your dollars.

Any ad with a patriotic theme is going to reinforce what the liberal urban type A CR reading twits already think, that GM is redneck and BELOW them.  however, I think that's just fine.  It's about time we gave a collective F U in our advertising to these groups which try to think they decide the mantra for the rest of the world.  I am fine with them being proud and quite honestly I am cool with them leaving in the scene with the nuclear bomb drop on Japan as well.  You know its gonna be controversial and it will get pulled because of whiners complaining but it will draw lots of attention to this new lauch and will prove, hey, Japan, you f'ed with us before.  We're gonna protect what's ours, regardless of what the pansies in our country think.  And we are ultimately going to come out on top....when push comes to shove.  It will be a great reminder to people, that yes, IT DOES matter sometimes who you support with your dollars.

198882[/snapback]

Have you seen the advertisements/PR from Toyota lately.

"WE ARE AN AMERICAN COMPANY, WE ARE RED, WHITE, AND BLUE. BASEBALL, HOT DOGS, APPLE PIE, TOYOTA."

"OUR NEW TRUCK IS BEING BUILT IN TEXAS. THAT'S RIGHT BITCHES, WE BUILD TRUCKS IN TEXAS."

With Toyota playing the Americanism theme so strongly and so ridiculously, what choice does GM have but to respond with highlightiing who the real American company is. And don't get me wrong, I bet Dodge and Ford will also be responding with their own red, white, and blue advertising by year end.

This is one battle that Toyota quite frankly is not going to win. Any fight based on nationalism/patriotism isn't going to be won by a Japanese automaker, no matter how many advertising dollars they use. They will reap what they sow.

I hate seeing japanese trucks on the road. Not because they don't have a right to sell their crap here, it's that people buy into the false premise that japanese vehicles are superior to American vehicles. The japanese have never had an original automotive idea. They copy everybody else (especially America). Now they're selling so called "full size" pickups and claiming that they're AMERICAN. The American consumer has allowed this to happen. I know there are some people that will disagree with me on this, but just know that you're wrong if you do.

This month Motor Trend stated that GM (and Ford) should be very afraid of the new tundra. :Toyota: If there is anything sacred left in the automotive world. it's the full size AMERICAN pickup, made by what is left of the big 3.

I think this ad campaign, that capitalizes on being AMERICAN. is a good idea. :unitedstates:

In the interest of being fair...

I hate seeing japanese trucks on the road.  Not because they don't have a right to sell their crap here, it's that people buy into the false premise that japanese vehicles are superior to American vehicles.

That's not always the reason, you know...

The japanese have never had an original automotive idea.  They copy everybody else (especially America).

That's also far from the truth.

Now they're selling so called "full size" pickups and claiming that they're AMERICAN.

I don't know how you could call the Titan or new Tundra "so-called" fullsize pickups. They are fullsize.

The American consumer has allowed this to happen.  I know there are some people that will disagree with me on this, but just know that you're wrong if you do.

Allowed what to happen, exactly?

This month Motor Trend stated that GM (and Ford) should be very afraid of the new tundra. :Toyota:

Maybe not afraid but they should be concerned. This is Toyota's biggest truck effort and they aren't playing around this time.

I think this ad campaign, that capitalizes on being AMERICAN. is a good idea.  :unitedstates:

200128[/snapback]

If it doesn't bite them in the ass. A lot of people who love America hate it when patriotism is shoved down their throats.

That said, I haven't seen the ads yet.

While I'm not too much of a fan of Mellencamp, I do think that the "Our Country, Our Truck" campaign is going to do well because like in the commercials from yesteryear, everyone knows that Chevy (and GMC) build the longest-lasting trucks on the market today, I still see more older Chevy and GMC trucks on the road than I do old Fords and Dodges.  I really think that this is a good idea.  now I just wish that I'd get an email from the 200,000 mile club with the directions to the state fair in Texas, or at least where they'll be partying in Nashville so I can go and join at least once along the trip.

198225[/snapback]

Really? I barely see any old Chevy and GMC trucks around these days. On the other hand I still see a fair number of Fords and Dodges.

While I'm not too much of a fan of Mellencamp, I do think that the "Our Country, Our Truck" campaign is going to do well because like in the commercials from yesteryear, everyone knows that Chevy (and GMC) build the longest-lasting trucks on the market today, I still see more older Chevy and GMC trucks on the road than I do old Fords and Dodges.  I really think that this is a good idea.  now I just wish that I'd get an email from the 200,000 mile club with the directions to the state fair in Texas, or at least where they'll be partying in Nashville so I can go and join at least once along the trip.

198225[/snapback]

Really? I barely see any old Chevy and GMC trucks around these days. On the other hand I still see a fair number of Fords and Dodges.

That's not always the reason, you know...

Never said it was always the reason, you know...

That's also far from the truth.

No it's not.

I don't know how you could call the Titan or new Tundra "so-called" fullsize pickups. They are fullsize.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: so-called

Pronunciation: 'sO-'kold

Function: adjective

1 : commonly named : popularly so termed <the so-called pocket veto>

I guess I'm not sure what you're saying. But thanks for pointing out that they are fullsize. They are japanese too. I think it's funny how they always have to point out that they are full size. toyota has been doing that since the goofy-as-hell t100 "full size" :rotflmao:

Allowed what to happen, exactly?

Am I really having to explain all this to you, or are you kidding me? If you'll go back one post before mine, you'll see that Shantanu pointed out that toyota has a little American patriotic campaign of their own. People buying toyota trucks, believing that because a vehicle is assembled somewhere in tennessee it's "American", that it doesn't matter what 'brand' of vehicle they purchase, and that japanese vehicles are somehow superior b/c they're japanese (just to name a few).....makes it possible for toyota runs ads like that. There will be some "Americans" that will like those ads too. It's a shame.

Maybe not afraid but they should be concerned. This is Toyota's biggest truck effort and they aren't playing around this time.

Afraid. Concerned. Whatever. Toyota doesn't build a better truck than GM or Ford. I don't give a turkey if toyota is playing around or not. The AMERICAN pickup is a sacred. It's more than just a vehicle. If you, or your father, or your grandfather doesn't own one, then talk to some pickup owners. See for yourself.

toyota is not American. And the fact they are trying to capitalize on AMERICAN patriotism, so they can sell pickups no less, should concern you.

If it doesn't bite them in the ass. A lot of people who love America hate it when patriotism is shoved down their throats.

What??? What about patriotism that is shoved down your throat by a japanese company? Lemme guess....it's okay for them, but not for us?.... I can't believe that b/c Chevy is gonna run a patriotic ad you could misconstrue that as "shoving patriotism down people's throat." :confused0071:

Edited by GMman

No it's not.

Yes...it is. It simply isn't true that they've never had original ideas; they've made plenty of innovations. Sorry, but it's deluded to believe otherwise.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: so-called

Pronunciation: 'sO-'kold

Function: adjective

1 : commonly named : popularly so termed <the so-called pocket veto>

I guess I'm not sure what you're saying.  But thanks for pointing out that they are fullsize.  They are japanese too.  I think it's funny how they always have to point out  that they are full size.  toyota has been doing that since the goofy-as-hell t100 "full size" :rotflmao:

In my experience, people usually use the term "so-called" when they are being cynical (i.e. insinuating they aren't really fullsized).

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Am I really having to explain all this to you, or are you kidding me?  If you'll go back one post before mine,  you'll see that Shantanu pointed out that toyota has a little American patriotic campaign of their own.  People buying toyota trucks, believing that because a vehicle is assembled somewhere in tennessee it's "American", that it doesn't matter what 'brand' of vehicle they purchase..

Looking at it from their (the consumers who believe such) point of view, it's not a totally unreasonable conclusion. They are built here and source some parts from North America. Plus, contrary to popular belief, not all of the profits return to Japan (they do have American HQs). One could conclude they are American -- and I stress this -- to an extent.

Don't get me wrong, not American as Ford or GM (it still is a Japanese-owned company) but not as un-American as some would claim.

...and that japanese vehicles are somehow superior b/c they're japanese (just to name a few) makes it possible for toyota runs ads like that.

Blame the era when it was widely true. Yes, I know GM has improved since then and everything (you don't need to tell me that...) and some people still aren't being fair when it comes to the domestics (...that either) but as the saying goes: "Once bitten, twice shy."

There will be some "Americans" that will like those ads too.  It's a shame.

The wonders of marketing.

Afraid.  Concerned.  Whatever.  Toyota doesn't build a better truck than GM or Ford.  I don't give a turkey if toyota is playing around or not.  The AMERICAN pickup is a sacred.

I'm not saying the opposite is true but you're kidding yourself if you think Toyota (or Nissan) aren't/won't be more competitive in the fullsize truck game. Mind you, they aren't going take over or lead it anytime soon but it's never a good idea to discount the competition (least of all, Toyota).

It's more than just a vehicle.  If you, or your father, or your grandfather doesn't own one, then talk to some pickup owners.  See for yourself.

My father does own a Sierra but to be honest I never got his stance on the American-Japanese pickup debate. If I had to guess, I think he'd just buy what would do the work regardless of the brand.

toyota is not American.  And the fact they are trying to capitalize on AMERICAN patriotism, so they can sell pickups no less, should concern you.

It concerns me when anyone does that. It doesn't say a whole lot about the confidence you have in your product to sell itself. And I know GM doesn't need the help with their trucks.

What???  What about patriotism that is shoved down your throat by a japanese company?  Lemme guess....it's okay for them, but not for us?....  I can't believe that b/c Chevy is gonna run a patriotic ad you could misconstrue that  as "shoving patriotism down people's throat."  :confused0071:

200212[/snapback]

Toyota never claims to be "patriotic", they simply make points about their American investments.

Also, I never said I construed the ads as "shoving patroitism down people's throats". (How could I? I also said I haven't seen the ads.) I was stating what others could potentially view it as.

This point/counterpoint stuff is a kick. :P

I'm an advertising/marketing guy, and I've got to say I like where this campaign is headed.

The theme is pretty in-your-face-patriotic, and that kind of attitude should deserve a higher recognition from consumers. It gets people talking! However, there is a fine line to walk with such a campaign, it's point where controversy and taste can be pushed a little too far and create an undesirable image in a few consumer's heads. I doubt GM will cross that line, and look forward to seeing the Silverado fend off the Toyota onslaught.

A little off-topic, but I like how this agency continues to use this type photography in media placements. The enhanced colors and lighting really pick up on the crisp details and improved build quality...stick with it!

Yes...it is. It simply isn't true that they've never had original ideas; they've made plenty of innovations. Sorry, but it's deluded to believe otherwise.

my point, albeit somewhat overstated, is that most of what we know about automobiles has been created by the people of this country and to a much smaller extent Europe. The mini-van, the SUV, the JEEP, the luxury car, and the FULL SIZE pickup are not of japanese descent. The japanese have copied the ideas of others in these regards. This is especially true with the FULL SIZE pickup. So, with clairification, I now say...No it isnt'. :P

Looking at it from their (the consumers who believe such) point of view, it's not a totally unreasonable conclusion. They are built here and source some parts from North America. Plus, contrary to popular belief, not all of the profits return to Japan (they do have American HQs). One could conclude they are American -- and I stress this -- to an extent.Don't get me wrong, not American as Ford or GM (it still is a Japanese-owned company) but not as un-American as some would claim.

This is a topic that I take very seriously. I won't defend substandard product from anyone, even America. But when American products are as good, if not better than the competition, I believe it is our responsibility to respond as consumers. People in japan believe that. They happend to be very patriotic and respond accordingly with their purchaes. Over the last 50 or so years we have seen the decline of the number of American made products as well as American owned companies. That is a shame. I believe that when you buy a Chevrolet, you are helping to support the retirees that maybe worked for GM for 50 years. It's safe to assume that those same people supported this country all of their lives. The largest portion of $$ made by toyota or honda gets re-invested in japan. Likewise, $$ GM earns, gets invested in the country I live in.

Blame the era when it was widely true. Yes, I know GM has improved since then and everything (you don't need to tell me that...) and some people still aren't being fair when it comes to the domestics (...that either) but as the saying goes: "Once bitten, twice shy."

Most who buy into that B.S. are too young to know what it is you're referring to. (or to remember that song). They just know what they've heard, which is mainly B.S. I like the guy on this forum whose signature reads: We can forgive japan for Pearl Harbor, but we can't forgive Detroit for the late 1970s. How true that is. I happen to talk to a lot of people and ask them why the drive the car they drive. If they drive a japanese car, I invariably hear "hondas never break down and everybody knows toyota is better than Chevrolet". If they are female, I hear things like, "well I used to have a Ford, and I had 3 flat tires on it, so this time I bought a honda. Consumer Reports says their the BEST."

I just hate for people to buy into the perception gap. The gap that is perpetuated by car magazines like MT and C&D.

I'm not saying the opposite is true but you're kidding yourself if you think Toyota (or Nissan) aren't/won't be more competitive in the fullsize truck game. Mind you, they aren't going take over or lead it anytime soon but it's never a good idea to discount the competition (least of all, Toyota).

toyota will never lead the FULL SIZE truck market. And I never said they (nissan/toyota) wouldn't be more competitive, but the only way for them to gain in that market, is for people to buy into a lie, which is that the japanese trucks are somehow better than Domestic. Outside that falacy, japanese fullsize trucks have nothing.

My father does own a Sierra but to be honest I never got his stance on the American-Japanese pickup debate. If I had to guess, I think he'd just buy what would do the work regardless of the brand.

You were supposed to ask him if his truck meant something to him, not what his view was on the USA/japanese pickup debate. Usually people have a fondness for a run of the mill truck that they may not have for a run of the mill car. There is a reason a guy would switch from a GMC Sierra, like your Dad, to a tundra. I just don't like it when that reason is crap like, tundra's are more dependable than GMC,

b/c that ain't true. I happen to dislike very much the styling on most every japanese vehicle, but that might be a reason a fella switched, which is hard to argue with. Get my point?

This point/counterpoint stuff is a kick. :P

200247[/snapback]

I enjoyed talking to you. I think I get the jest of what you're saying. I hope that I've made my point to you as well, which is that I love this country and I want our Domestic auto industry to remain strong. Full size pickups have EVERYTHING in the world to do with that!! :unitedstates:

This month Motor Trend stated that GM (and Ford) should be very afraid of the new tundra. :Toyota:  If there is anything sacred left in the automotive world. it's the full size AMERICAN pickup, made by what is left of the big 3. 

I think this ad campaign, that capitalizes on being AMERICAN. is a good idea.  :unitedstates:

200128[/snapback]

This is almost too easy, the Tundra is so ugly and screwed up styling wise, Motor Trend was just stating the obvious. Toyota should be passing out barf bags where ever the Tundra travels.

And yes the KoolAid drinkers are already moaning and groaning that GM shouldn't be so "patriotic". But of course it is hunky dory for Toyota to blatantly overstate the amount of jobs they "created" in the U S.

I read that too. Detroit should be afraid of what exactly? Weren't they supposed to be afraid of the original Tundra? Weren't they supposed to be afraid of the Titan? Japans is 0/2 in the full size truck segment, and lets face it. People aren't as loyal about cares as they are about trucks. Wether Toyota lovers want to believe it or not, trucks are a category where Toyota can outdo Detroit. Its like saying they bring out a Supra, cram a V-8 in it and claim that the Camaro should be worried.

On a side note about the new MT, did anyone notice that they published not one, but TWO reader letters that downplayed the CTS-V? I pity people who can't see the bias in magazines like that.

I don't see how GM would be turning off customers by that ad. It looked good to me, kinda short...I'd like to see the rest of it.

Rosa Parks is part of American history. The ad is about being American. I don't know, just a guess. I think you're looking for a reason not to like it.

I don't think the ad will turn off buyers, but at the same time I don't like the ad. Why do they spend however long it is showing clips/pictures of "American history" or whatever you want to call it and then only 2 seconds of what they're trying to sell? How about 50/50 split if you want to emphasize that it's American?

I don't think the ad will turn off buyers, but at the same time I don't like the ad. Why do they spend however long it is showing clips/pictures of "American history" or whatever you want to call it and then only 2 seconds of what they're trying to sell? How about 50/50 split if you want to emphasize that it's American?

203520[/snapback]

Exactly. It's like saying "Buy this truck because it's American, not because it's any good!"

Edited by empowah

rosa parks was the first person to sit in the front of a silverado. iditots!

seriously, if you know what rosa parks looks like you shouldnt have any trouble with this one. its the 80% that are saying "whats aunt jemimah in the chevy commercial for?" you should be worried about.

its American history. standing up for what you believe. she took the most simple basic act of "defiance" and let it ring in the ears of everyone else who was afraid to take a stand for what they believe or what was right and made changes.

how that ties into an ad for a truck im not exactly sure. chevy trucks do ok already. i think it may be over reaching a tad but nonetheless, it shouldnt make you not want to buy something.

im sure the whole ad is more meaningful.

and might i say its a pretty damn good looking truck to boot.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Um, what commercial were you guys watching?

I can't believe I have to do this...

Truck-related scenes - 6

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Truck-unrelated scenes - 7

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

I didn't run a stopwatch, but I'm pretty sure the onscreen exposure time for truck-related scenes equals or exceeds the non-related ones. Also - aside from Rosa Parks and John Mellencamp singing - all of them are related to trucks, driving, the great outdoors, or the concept of working, same as any other truck commercial.

This isn't even the full ad anyway because the runtime is just under twenty seconds. Probably part of some presentation, I have no idea. In any case, give me a break. I can't wait to see how Toyota will pour on its transplanted faux Texas "roots" when the Tundra debuts. I'm sure that will meet everyone's approval, how a Japanese company uses American patriotism and national pride to sell.

I think the problem is that the 2007 has what, 3-4 seconds of air time? I'd like to see the 2007 get half of it, not half of it being any sort of older Chevy trucks + the 2007.

If they wanted to show older Chevy trucks, they should have shown the old trucks for half of it doing American truck stuff and the 2007 doing truck stuff for the other half.

The problem is not that it's a terrible ad. It's that the product that their spending money on the ad for is only being shown for 3-4 seconds of the ad. It's one of the ads where if we weren't car enthusiats and knew what it was for, how many people would think it was just some sort of patriotism ad and not realize that it was for the Silverado. It's like some ads where random stuff occurs, and then for 2 seconds the ad mentions what it's for, and you're left saying "what was that ad for?"

If they're going to spend x amounts of dollars for 20 seconds of air time, I want at least 10 seconds of that on the truck that they're going to be selling and making money on, not trucks that they no longer sell.

EDIT: Below is the commercial I saw on TV (full version), and it definetly has a majority of the time without trucks. In fact, I'm pretty sure the 20 second version has as many truck scenes and has some of the other stuff cut out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlKJAXPfOI...related&search=

So they're paying for 60 seconds of ad time, and IMO they're only getting 5 seconds out of it (time when you see the 2007), and even still there are only trucks in it for about 10 seconds.

They used the same technique for Cadillac with that ad everyone loved, 'Moments.' Three-quarters of the ad was classic car after classic car. Mercedes did the same with that 'rebirth' one where the car gets crushed and its 'life' flashes before it. Its what companies with heritage are able to do, and something most Japanese companies simply cannot.

I can't find it on youtube, but didn't that one have all cars though and very few scenes without cars? If Chevy wanted to have the first half of the ad with the old trucks and the second with the 07, and then throw in American stuff every now and then, I'd be fine with it.

Exactly. It's like saying "Buy this truck because it's American, not because it's any good!"

203572[/snapback]

Everybody already knows it's good....but then again everybody knows it's American. And those are both good reasons to buy a Chevrolet Truck.

You don't have to like the ad to buy the truck. They've been saying that they're the longest lasting, most dependable trucks on the road for quite a while, why not try something different?

The tundra ads claim that they last for years and years as they dump &#036;h&#33; all over it like leaf bags, some dirt, and a canoe. And with all it's might, it drives out from under it. Funny since they haven't been around for years and years.....and the tacoma ads where the little thing gets washed out to sea and then drives away.... or the one where the Loch Ness monster takes it under water then spits it out and it drives away... I guess those are meant to be entertainment, but does that sell trucks?

Personally I like the new Ford Superduty commercials, but they won't convince me to buy one over a Chevrolet.

Okay, so I have to argue what the big deal is after I see some Toyota commercial showing their car driving through classic 'Americana' and concluding with an Avalon driving up a dirt road to a farmhouse with the sun setting over a barn and some horses running up to the fence.

Okay, so I have to argue what the big deal is after I see some Toyota commercial showing their car driving through classic 'Americana' and concluding with an Avalon driving up a dirt road to a farmhouse with the sun setting over a barn and some horses running up to the fence.

203821[/snapback]

I haven't seen that one. But if it really exists, I'll bash it even more than the Silverado ad.

So GM was trying to sale a 1962 Chevy? I thought it was an ad for the 2007, not 1962. The 2007 was shown for all of 5 seconds out of 65 seconds.

Um, what commercial were you guys watching?

I can't believe I have to do this...

Truck-related scenes - 6

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Truck-unrelated scenes - 7

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

I didn't run a stopwatch, but I'm pretty sure the onscreen exposure time for truck-related scenes equals or exceeds the non-related ones. Also - aside from Rosa Parks and John Mellencamp singing - all of them are related to trucks, driving, the great outdoors, or the concept of working, same as any other truck commercial.

This isn't even the full ad anyway because the runtime is just under twenty seconds. Probably part of some presentation, I have no idea. In any case, give me a break. I can't wait to see how Toyota will pour on its transplanted faux Texas "roots" when the Tundra debuts. I'm sure that will meet everyone's approval, how a Japanese company uses American patriotism and national pride to sell.

203622[/snapback]

Perhaps... the reason the new truck was only shown briefly is because it is not on the lots yet. Still, a lot of people may go to their dealership this weekend looking for the new truck, only to be disappointed to see 800's still on the lot.

This ad is only the beginning of a major ad campaign. They are setting the stage for subsequent commercials, which, I am sure will more prominently feature the new truck.

We should not judge the whole '07 Silverado ad campaign by one commercial. Let Chevrolet tell the story of the new truck over the span of the campaign, then judge it for effectiveness.

Saw an ad tonight during the Broncos-Raiders game... I kind of like the song..the '07 Silverado was seen briefly, the ad was mostly a montage of football scenes, ranging from kids in little league up through the pros.. not bad.

Saw an ad tonight during the Broncos-Raiders game... I kind of like the song..the '07 Silverado was seen briefly, the ad was mostly a montage of football scenes, ranging from kids in little league up through the pros..  not bad.

205207[/snapback]

I saw it during the game too, but I didn't see the one with football scenes. It was the longer version of the one listed here. I thought it was a really good commercial.