Sign in to follow this  
Member55

MT test:07 Expedition spanks new suburban.

Have you looked at the specifics? Cant scream bias, the numbers speak for themselves, the Expedition was cheaper, quicker and more fuel efficient.

I knew the new Expedition would prove to be a contender to the GMT900s. I think the 900s look more comfortable (Expedition's seats look uncomfortable)...but I haven't been inside the Expedition.

That said...if GM loses the #1 title, I'd rather it be to Ford than anyone else...

The Expedition's interior has nothing on the Tahoe's but I think they are kind of even when it comes to exterior design. This is the next story I'm going to read. I had to put MT down yesterday because I was busy.

GMI won't load, so are they comparing the Expedition EL (or whatever) to the Suburban? 'Cause only that would make sense.

198300[/snapback]

Yeah, it was the EL.

Edited by Member55

They got 18MPG with the Expeditiion? Was this all interstate driving or what? I would be surprised in a 50/50 mix if I could get 18MPG in ANY big SUV even if I was trying. I'm not trying to make excuses, but if they were taking it from the computer, the computer could have been wrong.

IMO, the only thing that the Expedition offers over the Suburban is the folding third-row seat, and considering that these vehicles were made to carry people and luggage, not just luggage, I don't think this is an issue except when you're hauling a ton of stuff, as there is plenty of space behind the Suburban's 3rd row for luggage for a family vacation.

When the Suburban gets the 6-speed, then it should be as quick as the Expedition. Even still, no one is drag racing these things, so as long as they aren't pathetically slow, I don't think 0-60 times are too important.

Well, from what I read of the article... it wasn't so much as the Suburban getting spanked as it was a "narrow margin" and the Expedition won, "but not by much" in MT's own words.

Edited by blackviper8891

And there's no way that Ford has the production capacity to rival the Sububan's sales. I don't think Chevrolet's shaking in their boots over this one Motor Trend review.

The Expedition was faster, who the hell is buying an Expedition for performence numbers, ok comfort yeah give em that and that little bit of MPG difference dont give em that yet cause where was the Sub. driven compared to the Ford?

In the Detroit News Today they picked the Suburban over the Expedition. The said the Suburban got better milage and had better accelartion. Motor trend sucks anyway.

198472[/snapback]

Heh, that's funny. I guess we'll just have to see what the "reviewers" that matter decide... the buying public.

People keep buying the Suburban because they know what to expect with it and they know it's dependable. Kind of like how people buy the Camry or Accord. It may not be the best of the best but people still believe it is and that's why it will still outsell it.

I like the Ford more, and we have a Suburban. And coming from a real owner, ALL of these points are certainly of great merit:

Expedition is faster in every test conducted: 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-10, 0-80, 0-90, 1/4 mile...not a race car, but if you're driving a big truck, you want as much grunt as possible

Expedition is 1/2 second quicker 0-60...again, same as^^

Expedition gets Better MPG: 18.7 for Expedition, 15.0 for Sub...VERY important, and quite impressive actually, especially for trucks that weren't broken in yet.

Expedition 4x4 responds more quickly...I'd never buy 4wd, but this is very important for those who do.

Expedition is less expensive...FIRST thing I noticed and really a trump card Ford holds, especially considering their truck has more technically to offer (6-spd, usable and disappearing 3rd row on ALL models, etc.)

Expedition has more comfortable 1st, 2nd, and 3rd row seats...again, if you're buying a big truck, you want it to be as comfortable and spacious as possible.

Expedition has power fold 3rd row seats rather than 102 pounds of seats to remove...I've lugged one of these things in and out so much of the Chevy, I don't think I even need to say anymore on that...

Both will still have their own respective "I'll only buy this" buyers, but now the Ford really has enough merits that it might win over more buyers than it used to.

This isn't the first professional review to pick the Expedition EL over the Suburban--the latter which never really had any credible competition until now--and it'll be very interesting to see how it all translates into real sales.

I like the Ford more, and we have a Suburban.  And coming from a real owner, ALL of these points are certainly of great merit:

Expedition is faster in every test conducted: 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-10, 0-80, 0-90, 1/4 mile...not a race car, but if you're driving a big truck, you want as much grunt as possible

Expedition is 1/2 second quicker 0-60...again, same as^^

Expedition gets Better MPG: 18.7 for Expedition, 15.0 for Sub...VERY important, and quite impressive actually, especially for trucks that weren't broken in yet.

Expedition 4x4 responds more quickly...I'd never buy 4wd, but this is very important for those who do.

Expedition is less expensive...FIRST thing I noticed and really a trump card Ford holds, especially considering their truck has more technically to offer (6-spd, usable and disappearing 3rd row on ALL models, etc.)

Expedition has more comfortable 1st, 2nd, and 3rd row seats...again, if you're buying a big truck, you want it to be as comfortable and spacious as possible.

Expedition has power fold 3rd row seats rather than 102 pounds of seats to remove...I've lugged one of these things in and out so much of the Chevy, I don't think I even need to say anymore on that...

Both will still have their own respective "I'll only buy this" buyers, but now the Ford really has enough merits that it might win over more buyers than it used to.

This isn't the first professional review to pick the Expedition EL over the Suburban--the latter which never really had any credible competition until now--and it'll be very interesting to see how it all translates into real sales.

198557[/snapback]

All valad points, but I have driven both and would keep my Suburban hands down, My suburban has plenty of power to get the job done, I wouldn't care if it is was a half second slower from 0-60 as long as it's got the torque to get the job done. I know that most soccer mom's don't care how quick it is, just whether or not it can hold all the kids and thier stuff, which it can with no problem.

I can understand the mileage I guess, the Suburban I have now (03) gets on average about 15mpg whereas my old one (01) got mid 16s to 17. Nothing changed from 01-03 in the powertrain so maybe this the Suburban they tested happened to be on the lower end with MPG, but I think they must have had it in town a lot to get it down to 15 with AFM and all.

The expedition may be cheaper, but you pay for what you get I beleive.

I don't know why it matters how long it takes for the 4WD to kick in, I still which they put the 4WD lever on the floor instead of the push button, plus if the roads are $h!ty or icy or I am headed into a muddy field, I put it into 4WD before I need it, not as I'm getting stuck.

The Exped. may be cheaper but you pay for what you get i believe, and as far as the Expedition being more comfy, that is all subjective. I've sat in the new ones and I love the seats, especially with the rear captions. The third row in the regular expedition are about as comfy as a board so I'll be suprised if these ones are any comfier.

And sure the fold flat seats are nice, but I have probably only taken the 3rd row out of my Suburban twice and that is only when I needed it flat all the way up to the front seats, if you are not folding down both back rows, you can fold the 3rd row seat down and forward and have much more room, which I do somewhat often, but there is still a TON of room in a suburban with all 3 rows up.

The Expedition might win over a few buyers, but only a few most likely, most sales will probably be from people trading in their old Expeditions i suspect. Plus once the Suburban gets the 6sp, I don't see much reason to buy the Ford.

honestly this is a draw. I am impressed at how Ford quietly introduces the Expedition EL while the GM's have all sorts of hoopla. They were forced to kill the liberal's whipping boy, the Excursion, and basically replaced it 'under the radar' to great accolades and no scorn from the greenies.

Honestly, this is a comparo of BIG FAT SLUGS and we should really just call it a draw. Anyone who is serious about cargo should drive a minivan anyways unless you fear for those nasty I-29 Fargo north to border or I-94 west to Bismarck blizzards. The folding seat thing is a real valid issue.

Let's call it a draw and sing about how much the Sequioia sucks.

Besides, the Land Rover is where its at anyways, if you want style.

Be glad they didn't throw the armada into the comparo.

Edited by regfootball

only thing, Ford, WHY THE SAME CHEAP ARSE CLIMATE CONTROLS? ARGH!!!!

I love how they try to imitate the Range Rover dash put put the cheap climate controls in it, just like on my 500 with the 'AUDI' dash and the same horrible climate controls.

Edited by regfootball

you know, if they would even just switch ONE thing....those horrible concave temperature pushbuttons.......PLEASE REPLACE those flimsty cheap buttons with an honest to goodness classy looking KNOB that doesn't looks SO CHEAP and isn't freaky to operate!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by regfootball

Reg, could you please post all your thoughts in one post so that we don't have 3 posts by you addressing the same issue? You obviously know how to use the edit button since you've edited all 3 posts.

(This was addressed in the recent statement from the C&G Staff).

where. i only check the news and views and the lounge. i don't waste my time on other parts of the site

if its gonna get parental around here at least post it where people look at it

sportruck

Edited by regfootball

The Expedition is a better vehicle.

However.

A lot of people I see driving 'Burbans and Tahoes are women...and I don't think women will be attracted to the Expedition. It is a bit brutish.

Oh, and not only is that interior wholly acceptable, it looks NOTHING like the Land Rover's interior. I mean please. Point out something in the center stack, steering wheel, or speed/tachometer. And the buttons on the stack seem a lot like my dad's Montego...and the buttons don't look or feel cheap in that car.

This is a great offering from Ford, I hope the word gets out!

Edited by SableStyle

The Expedition is a better vehicle.

However.

A lot of people I see driving 'Burbans and Tahoes are women...and I don't think women will be attracted to the Expedition. It is a bit brutish.

Oh, and not only is that interior wholly acceptable, it looks NOTHING like the Land Rover's interior. I mean please. Point out something in the center stack, steering wheel, or speed/tachometer. And the buttons on the stack seem a lot like my dad's Montego...and the buttons don't look or feel cheap in that car.

This is a great offering from Ford, I hope the word gets out!

198906[/snapback]

since i have a 500 with the SAME climate controls i can tell you from driving it every stinking day how CHEESEBALL the climate controls are. you do not spend enough time in your dad's montego. it is a prime example of bad decision making and the effects of costcutting that is so rampant at GM and Ford.

Just for fun next time you are in your dad's car, cycle the door locks and just listen to the loud cheap CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACk like something is about to fall apart inside the door. Feel all the slop and flex in those temperature buttons that don't ever seem to want to move in the natural direction your finger wants to go. Feel the sloppiness in that pushbutton fan switch. Listen to the lawnmower engine buzz and feel it shake through the floorpan at idle when its stopped...listen to all the road noise and drone when cruising on a typical road.

Yet the wiper stalk feels good, the steering wheel buttons are nice, etc. It really shows a job not finished. The bad controls that Ford is producing by the millions do not belong in this Expedition.

the expedition dash is not a literal line for line translation of the land/range rover....but it has a very similar character in the wide range of colors, the shapes of the forms and such. obviously the LR products will have more glitz, better quality and be to a much higher level. But its pretty obvious that there's similarity there in terms of basic design concept.

Edited by regfootball

since i have a 500 with the SAME climate controls i can tell you from driving it every stinking day how CHEESEBALL the climate controls are.  you do not spend enough time in your dad's montego.  it is a prime example of bad decision making and the effects of costcutting that is so rampant at GM and Ford.

Just for fun next time you are in your dad's car, cycle the door locks and just listen to the loud cheap CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACk like something is about to fall apart inside the door.  Feel all the slop and flex in those temperature buttons that don't ever seem to want to move in the natural direction your finger wants to go.  Feel the sloppiness in that pushbutton fan switch.  Listen to the lawnmower engine buzz and feel it shake through the floorpan at idle when its stopped...listen to all the road noise and drone when cruising on a typical road.

Yet the wiper stalk feels good, the steering wheel buttons are nice, etc.  It really shows a job not finished.  The bad controls that Ford is producing by the millions do not belong in this Expedition.

the expedition dash is not a literal line for line translation of the land/range rover....but it has a very similar character in the wide range of colors, the shapes of the forms and such.  obviously the LR products will have more glitz, better quality and be to a much higher level.  But its pretty obvious that there's similarity there in terms of basic design concept.

199010[/snapback]

Still not seeing the LR argument...I mean, they both have black plastic and brushed aluminum, but look at it. The vents are in completely different places, the buttons surrounding the LCD are different, the LR has HVAC knobs while the Expedition has buttons. The wood trim is played out differently, even the hazard button is completely different. And the steering wheels? The Expedition is squarish while the LR is circular. Sure, the buttons are kinda in the same place, but you can only do so much with buttons on a steering wheel.

As for the Montego...I had this discussion with someone in another thread (was it you?) and the conclusion drawn was that the 500 and Montego Premier are different vehicles, because a lot of the issues raised weren't problems with our vehicle. I mean, my dad says he likes it better than the Town Car (current gen) that he had...the only thing he misses is the V8, though even that isn't bad because the engine is, in a practical sense, really not that bad.

Saying I don't spend enough time in the car is unfair. I have spent time in the car, and believe me, I was playing with the controls. (GPS fascinates me!) And never once did I think, "Wow, these controls are cheap!" so that must be saying something. Now I spent some time in various Camrys this summer, and those knobs are cheap. I noticed right away. It's this grayish plastic that feels anything but solid in your hand.

I mean, what is an example of 'good climate controls'? What car does it best? Just because it's black plastic doesn't make it suck. Obviously you have some issues and I can't persuade you that they're not problems for you, but that doesn't justify a harsh blanket statement saying that these controls suck. What it really boils down to is taste, and I'll bet more than a dollar (high rollin') that most people aren't feeling up the plastic or checking for gaps between the dash and the door, because these really are superfluous things when it comes to purchasing a vehicle.

We as auto enthusiasts have stricter tastes when it comes to these things, and it's important to remember that. Even still, I like the interior of the Montego...it's really sharp, I've said it before. So I dunno. Sorry for the length of this.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook