It's Official: Commodore coming to US as a Pontiac

It's official: Holden’s Commodore is heading to America as General Motors forges ahead on a BMW-rivalling compact sedan.

A Pontiac-badged Commodore will be unveiled at the Chicago motor show in 2007, signalling the start of the Commodore’s global tour.

Speaking at this week's Paris motor show, General Motors product guru Bob Lutz did more than hint that the Commodore would wear a Pontiac nose and badges before long.

“Come to the Chicago auto show and all we be revealed,” said a smiling Lutz, who earlier praised Holden and the new Commodore for being one of “the best vehicles GM has produced”.

Speculation has been rife about Commodores being built in other markets, but nothing has been confirmed to date.

However Lutz’s admission to drive.com.au confirms the rumours that the Commodore could be built in markets such as the United States to provide a large, rear-drive car to help revive General Motors’ ageing vehicles.

The Commodore’s architecture is also expected to spawn many more rear-drive cars within the General Motors world, starting with the born-again Chevrolet Camaro that was unveiled at the 2006 Detroit motor show in concept form.

The Pontiac “Commodore”, which is expected to wear a different name when it goes on sale in the States in 2007, is not the first time a Pontiac has been spawned from a Holden. Three years ago Holden sent Monaros to the 'States with fresh noses and Pontiac GTO badges to revive one of the most famous nameplates in Pontiac’s history.

Like that car, the rebadged Commodore is expected to get some minor changes, including the classic Pontiac twin-nostril grille.

GM considers Torana

Also at the Paris show Lutz confirmed that General Motors is forging ahead with plans to produce a compact, rear-drive car to rival premium sedans from BMW and Lexus. And it could lead to the revival of the Torana, which was born-again as a concept in 2004.

Lutz admitted a new rear-drive small car is on General Motors’ radar to compete with other dynamically-focussed small sedans such as the Lexus IS250 and BMW 3-Series.

“As we look at rising fuel prices and the success of the (BMW) 1-Series in Europe … we are telling ourselves one of the things we’d like to investigate – and I stress, investigate – is a smaller, lighter, rear-wheel-drive architecture,” he says.

The comments fuel longer-term expectations that the Torana could be reborn as a smaller, more fuel efficient alternative to the Commodore. However, Lutz stressed any such project would not be simply a “shrunken Commodore”.

“The probability of a VE being shrunk is very remote,” said Lutz. “It never works well to take a large architecture and shrink it.”

Lutz also said that any such small, rear-drive vehicle would be designed from the outset with a four-cylinder engine.

While he said a larger engine is a possibility for a such a car, he wanted the small, rear-drive platform vehicle to be initially designed as a four-cylinder.

“It will be smaller, lighter and more agile (than a Commodore),” says Lutz.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...eID=20396&vf=12

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is brilliant news

They must have made it federal - proof when they were developing it because it's only just gone on sale in Australia

Im guessing it will be more of a niche product than the future Impala

Also, Australians do like conservative styling on their big cars, I wonder how well that will fly in the US

(a) so what's it going to be? G8? GP? a new name?

(b) a smaller-torana based vehicle. Small, light, RWD, 4cylinder...

it would be a great g5 or G6 replacement. A real pontiac performer.

199043[/snapback]

Not a Torana-based vehicle. The Torana concept used a platform larger then the Camaro's, and Lutz is talking about something much, much smaller—not much bigger than the Kappa sports car architecture. Edited by thegriffon

While I'm very happy to have a RWD Pontiac sedan, I'm less than thrilled by the prospect of another rebadged Holden. Pontiac needs a car of their own, styled by Americans with a feel for Pontiac's very proud history. The Australian cars, while handsome, are too bland to wear the Pontiac name. This will be GTO mk II, I fear.

I really hope I'm wrong.

On the prospect of the smaller RWD architecture, that is fantastic news. Very promising.

While I'm very happy to have a RWD Pontiac sedan, I'm less than thrilled by the prospect of another rebadged Holden.  Pontiac needs a car of their own, styled by Americans with a feel for Pontiac's very proud history.  The Australian cars, while handsome, are too bland to wear the Pontiac name.  This will be GTO mk II, I fear.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Agreed 100%.

While I'm very happy to have a RWD Pontiac sedan, I'm less than thrilled by the prospect of another rebadged Holden.  Pontiac needs a car of their own, styled by Americans with a feel for Pontiac's very proud history.  The Australian cars, while handsome, are too bland to wear the Pontiac name.  This will be GTO mk II, I fear.

I really hope I'm wrong.

On the prospect of the smaller RWD architecture, that is fantastic news.  Very promising.

199064[/snapback]

That's also my fear. It IS a little bland and I'm hoping we can apply some character to the car. Although if you think about it the G6 has one of the blandest rears ever but the car is attractive enough to be Pontiac's best seller. So maybe the rebadged Holden might no do so bad afterall...

Very exciting news! Though, I find the Torrana to be the really important news for the future of GM. Can anyone say new 3-series competitor from Cadillac? Now that the CTS appears to be moving up a weight class, a small RWD platform would be a much better idea then the Epsilon II platform simply because it's RWD.

Key to this one is pricing, which I think killed the GTO...if its a $25k base sedan with 3/5 series performance, it'll rock. If, like the GTO, we only get $32k+ models, you'll see the same problem arise.

IMO, the GTO appealed to the guys who were Pontiac diehards looking for a top of the line T/A replacement. Anyone looking for 'Formula' or base model Firebird replacements were completely excluded from the GTO.

Great news that the Holden will be available for an '08 model year intro, although it sounds like it may be built, at least initially, elsewhere.

I'll buy one. Has exactly what I want. Manual Tranny, RWD, and some nice hp. Styling is perfect. All that old school cladding from pontiac is awful. Americans want more subtle style like the audis, old bmw's, or vw's

Edited by lakefire

Guest YellowJacket894

I hope that at least forty-percent of the car is different from the Holden, especially when it comes to styling cues on the hi-po models, like the GX/P. The base Commodore bodystyle is nice, but the upper level models are starting to look a little overcooked to me everytime I see them.

Let's hope that this has been in the works for awhile, especially in the styling department.

Otherwise, it's nice to see rear-drive come back to Pontiac. The compact rear-driver may actually be something I'll look into purchasing into the future. 8):thumbsup:

This is great news. The Pontiac "Commodore" (Grand Prix, I hope) will make a great 5-Series alternative. Even better, a Pontiac "Torana" based 3-Series competitor would be awesome. I think it'd be wise to get rid of the G6 and G5, and replace it with a "Torana" based coupe and sedan. Since there's only the G6 and G5 with alpha-numberic names, if the two cars replaced its not to late to return to real names for the lineup.

199064[/snapback]

:withstupid:

could it be...lemans.  they still own the name as auidi recently found out.

and perhaps a gto down the road?  not a bad deal either way.

199155[/snapback]

Le Mans is a great comeback name. I like Tempest too.

I think an all RWD lineup is in the not to distant future;

Solstice

Torana based Sedan - 2.4 Ecotec w/ the 3.6L HFV6 option @ 280HP

Same for the Torana based Coupe

Commodore based Sedan - 3.6L HFV6 @280HP w/ V8 option @ atleast 350HP (to beat the 300C's 340HP Hemi)

GTO returns as a coupe version of the Commodore Sedan - V8 only

Throw in a possible hot hatch version of either sedan, and you've got a great lineup.

1 roadster, 2 coupes, 2 sedans, and a possibe hot hatch (Magnum killer, anyone)

Was poking around the Holden site looking at the Commodore:

Commodore site

I suggest everyone go take a look at the site(driving passion was interesting) as it may swing your opinion in favor of the car. Looks good in actual motion I must say. Now I really can't wait for this thing to come over just so I can see/hear it in person. I'm hoping the pricing won't be too high as that was the GTO's downfall but unless it is going to be manufactured over here, I expect the price to be slightly higher than the Grand Prix's. RWD sedan for Pontiac...damn it's been a long time.

Edited by big blue

Guest YellowJacket894

Good good... now get the Statesman over here and name it Invicta.

199120[/snapback]

I'd actually count on that happening. Before Zeta was placed on hold to get the GMT-900 trucks to market faster, plans for a Buick-bodied Statesman were well into the development stages.

Those plans could easily be resumed.

Good good... now get the Statesman over here, restyle it to make it appealing and name it Invicta.

199120[/snapback]

There we go.

If this is a light badge-job for $35-40k, count me out. I'd rather have another V6, FWD Bonneville like what's sitting outside right now. At least it isn't boring.

This is great news.  The Pontiac "Commodore" (Grand Prix, I hope) will make a great 5-Series alternative.  Even better, a Pontiac "Torana" based 3-Series competitor would be awesome.  I think it'd be wise to get rid of the G6 and G5, and replace it with a "Torana" based coupe and sedan.  Since there's only the G6 and G5 with alpha-numberic names, if the two cars replaced its not to late to return to real names for the lineup.

199147[/snapback]

Wise, but unrealistic. And we know the G6 isn't going anywhere. Redesign on EPII.

Read: GMX327 and GMX387.

I really hope I'm wrong.

On the prospect of the smaller RWD architecture, that is fantastic news.  Very promising.

199064[/snapback]

wait forever or get it now. your choice.

"when it goes on sale in the States in 2007" THAT EXCITES ME. it better have AWD available or I will go a vandalism tear.

Forget what Drive says, they have a parochial slant that thinks nothing good can come out of America. I will repeat, Lutz did not say what you will see in Chicago. The very most you can be certain of is some kind of announcement re the new global rwd program. You do not know what form it will take, which brand, manufactured where and introduced when.

I hope they (Pontiac) come up with some decent looking wheels and not just one to choose from. The base wheel for the GTO was kind of bland where as the optional wheel looked alot better. Wheels do alot to personalize your ride. If they want it to compete with BMW, at least let it look the part.

... I'm less than thrilled by the prospect of another rebadged Holden.  Pontiac needs a car of their own, styled by Americans with a feel for Pontiac's very proud history.  The Australian cars, while handsome, are too bland to wear the Pontiac name.  This will be GTO mk II, I fear.

I really hope I'm wrong. ...

Allow me to join the chorus. Austrailian cars have always looked like bland American cars to me. Supposedly, the development costs of the new Commodore were about $1 billion USD--a steal. Although better than other Aussie projects, the new Commodore's skin does nothing to get my juices flowing. As the proud owner of a 2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp-G, I would love to replace it with the next generation Grand Prix. If it is the Commodore in drag, I may have to look elsewhere.

Mr Plow 2500HD, just because a lot of people buy those boring appliances named Toyota doesn't mean that potential Pontiac buyers want them. It seems that Japanese buyers like boring, but competent, cars. It is a shame that Nissan has to remove some of its more interesting styling cues to appeal to this group. Pontiac is GM's excitement division. Let it remain so.

Edited by MisterMe

Exactly. A Pontiac is romantic and voluptuous. The Commodore is technical and cold.

Solstice and G6 coupe are the latest proof that Pontiac still adheres to those ideals. The Commodore just does not fit. Hardware alone, as the recent GTO has proven, does not sell a car by itself. To inspire emotional connection... lust, a car must have some drama, some curves, ya know?

I also am a owner of a 04 Comp G. I like my car but would drop it in a heart beat for a new Holden.

Some of Pontiac's greatest cars were very plain like the 63 GP.

Lets face it slapping a bird on the hood or cladding worked well in the 70's and 80's but it's not going to work today. Lets face it if BMW can sell their what I term plain looking cars Pontiac can find a way too. Good marketing goes a long way to sell cars and Pontiac has had little good marketing of late.

The Point is Pontiac needs to appeal to all performance buyers not just the one who like screaming chickens and cladding.

This is from a long time Pontiac owner and fan.

I bet if John Delorean was alive he would embrace this car in a heart beat. He tried to bring the Eruo influance to Pontiac for years only to be stopped by GM leaders. Pontiac is just now entering his vision.

Besides the VE is old news as we pretty much knew this was coming in some form. The real news is the small RWD. This speaks volumes of where Pontiac is going and I would expect it to spawn a 2nd gen Kappa too.

Edited by hyperv6

hyper, I agree wholeheartedly about cladding and screaming chickens. I am much more a fan of the clean, stylish Pontiacs than the flamboyant, overdecorated ones. It's just that the Holden does not even whisper Pontiac to me. Edited by ocnblu

Forget what Drive says, they have a parochial slant that thinks nothing good can come out of America. I will repeat, Lutz did not say what you will see in Chicago. The very most you can be certain of is some kind of announcement re the new global rwd program. You do not know what form it will take, which brand, manufactured where and introduced when.

199274[/snapback]

Good point.