11 Lucernes to be Unveiled at SEMA

Variance

11 Lucernes to be Unveiled at SEMA

Posted Image

Thinking about the $3 billion-and-rising auto aftermarket industry—all fast flash and youthful exuberance—surely doesn’t conjure up images of your dad’s Buick.

But this year, for the first time in the 43-year history of the Specialty Equipment Market Association’s annual convention, Buick will feature 11 custom-designed Lucernes on display.

Read "That Tricked-Out Car is a Buick?" @ Brandweek

I saw a young man, maybe late 20's early 30's (and hot too), driving a beige CX on the LIE. Was a bit surprised -- expected an elderly person in the driver's seat.

Well, I just turned 29 and I'm truly considering purchasing a Lucerne in the next 6-9 months. My current '02 Galant does not offer the interior space I need now that I have a wife and 1yr old. I also work in the corp world and could use a nice larger vehicle to haul around co-workers to meetings if need be.

I'm especially excited about this post, and the unveiling of these cars. I felt like they were reading my mind or stole my ideas when I read the article. Whatever car I choose to purchase in the future was going to be a classy/more luxurious car, but I wanted to keep a sporty edge to it. I think the Lucerne can fit that bill for me from a styling and ride standpoint. 275HP doesn't hurt either.

Does anyone here believe in fate? Yesterday was my birthday and that was the day the article was written. I also live in Illinois about an hour or so north of Mendota where one of the Lucernes is being created. I think I am meant to purchase this vehicle and do my own tasteful tricking out. I can't wait to see these things and see how closely they resemble my own visions for the car.

Edited by CreativeVision

Personally, I like the CXL V6 model - but that might also be that I can't afford the CXS model that I truly desire! I think that they should do what Pontiac did with the Bonneville; the CX trim continues with the "basic" look, while the CXL gains the exterior looks of the CXS (much like the Bonneville SLE and SSEi/GXP were similar).

This could be quite the Magic Show for Buick. The Lucerne does have a really good mix of size, luxury and athleticism in its profile. I can't wait to see these. I just hope none of them have ridiculous wings.

Ocnblu: I with you on the riduculous wings. These need to come off as elegent, yet subtlely aggressive. If they go with the Fast and Furious look, they will kill all chances of wooing(sp?) over the crowd. If GM was really smart they would then take these cars out on the show circuit next year(they probably already have this planned out).

Last year there were some tricked out Avalons from the SEMA show and they made me lust after that car for a bit. If it worked for me, there were no doubt others that became interested in an otherwise somewhat boring "older person" car.

Edited by CreativeVision

I'm 23 and I am incredibly surprised at the brilliance of GM on this move.

11 Lucernes? Awesome. This will give Buick some younger people looking at the company and respecting what can be done with the car. Buick's are very big with aftermarket styling, but it's typically the older ones.

LeSabres are the fastest growing used vehicles for younger people who enjoy after market accessories. This move keeps Buick in their eyes and any one of these young people who own an older Buick will take pride that they own a Buick when they see these Lucernes and they will say "I need to get me one of those"

It's smarter than some of you might think.

Buick's are very big with aftermarket styling, but it's typically the older ones.

Since when were Buicks big with the Aftermarket? I was in the industry for 8 years, granted mostly for import and sport tuner vehicles, but of all the events I attended and participated in not once did I see a Buick. "Aftermarket styling" IMO goes way beyond vent visors on the windows, spinner dub-dueces, chrome trim on the door and fender edges, and faux tops. That's the extent of my exposure to custom Buicks in the midwest, perhaps in your neck of the woods its different though.

LeSabres are the fastest growing used vehicles for younger people who enjoy after market accessories. 

What?!?! Where did you pull that fact from? No way are younger people scrambling to gobble up all the older used Buicks from their elderly neighbors in hopes to trick them out with the latest accessories from the aftermarket. Sorry man, but you're not convincing me. I mean...good for GM and Buick if it were true, but I don't believe it.

Yeah, I thought that was stretching it...

Anywho, I'm glad to hear about the 11 Lucernes to be at Sema. It needs a styling updated to make it look more upscale, more in tune with the luxury market and less in tune with the geriatric crowd. Hopefully some of the Lucernes there will help in that respect and then be considered for production, like the GXP Bonnie was.

Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick? They would:

According to an article in the May 9, 2006 Wall Street Journal-

the percentage of used-car shoppers between 18 and 24 who said they would consider a [ used ] Buick LeSabre jumped 168% in the first quarter of this year from a year earlier, the biggest increase of any model, according to market research firm CNW Marketing Research Inc., Bandon, Ore. And fewer 16-to-24-year-olds think such models are 'for an older person' than did in the past, according to a CNW study tracking cars' so-called 'stodgy index.'"

I can't find the article anymore on Google News but I kept that excerpt because another member from C&G had it in his signature (I dont remember which). So to answer your question Creative Vision and to prove I'm not stretching it blackviper8891 and that I don't just make stuff up that's an actual quote from the article I got it from. And I know theres at least one C&G member here that can vouch for also seeing that article.

So even though you might've been in the industry for 8 years this is fact. LeSabres are hot. And fullsize vehicles are hot. I'd say the Chrysler 300 has a lot to do with that.

My brother also has spent considerable time in aftermarket supplies with his Buick (Park Avenue) and even though he's only 20 and doesn't get hand-outs from his parents he put in considerable work on this vehicle and many young people love his car. Strangely it's those older than 25 that seem to be the staunchest belief that Buick's aren't for younger people, aftermarket or not. It's not true. They're more interesting than your dime-a-dozen Civics.

here's my brothers Park Avenue and old LeSabre. he hasn't updated it in a few months but the DVD player and sound system of the LeSabre are all in the PA now.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/736601

Edited by Cananopie

I saw a young man, maybe late 20's early 30's (and hot too), driving a beige CX on the LIE.  Was a bit surprised -- expected an elderly person in the driver's seat.

201868[/snapback]

I get the same thing about my Olds Intrigue, except I am not hot whatsoever. LOL :scratchchin:

Theres a fair amount of teenagers that get Buicks for first cars. There had been so many to choose from for years. The supply is tapering off as new sales tapered during late 90's & 00's. Ive come across very few young people on any of the forums that did not like PA's, many seemed far more enthoused than myself. They are something inside though.

However the aftermarket for recent Buicks and Oldsmobiles has always sucked. Its sometimes sad to see these guys come on some forum and ask what they can buy for their car. Aftermarket suppliers respond to demand and whos got the money to buy. Many people talk the talk but dont have the money........especially after they spend hundreds on stereos that make the back of the car sag and then eventually rattle apart.........

As for these Lucernes, I so glad to see the effort. 11 customs sounds like alot. We can only hope someone takes notice. But its going to take more than "bling" wheels and insane amounts of bass to impress me.

I can't find the article anymore on Google News but I kept that excerpt because another member from C&G had it in his signature (I dont remember which). So to answer your question Creative Vision and to prove I'm not stretching it blackviper8891 and that I don't just make stuff up that's an actual quote from the article I got it from. And I know theres at least one C&G member here that can vouch for also seeing that article.

Well, I'll be damn! Seems unbelieveable still, but there it is in black and white.

My brother also has spent considerable time in aftermarket supplies with his Buick (Park Avenue) and even though he's only 20 and doesn't get hand-outs from his parents he put in considerable work on this vehicle and many young people love his car.

Good for your brother and building his cars the way he chooses. I know the feeling of working hard and paying for all your mods and other expenses yourself, and being proud of your vehicle. My Eclipse GS-T was my baby and took alot of work and money.

Strangely it's those older than 25 that seem to be the staunchest belief that Buick's aren't for younger people, aftermarket or not. It's not true. They're more interesting than your dime-a-dozen Civics.

But up until recently Buick really didn't do much to appeal to a younger crowd, so can you blame them for thinking this way? After seeing what younger people do to Civics and other tuner cars, why would an older person what that to be synonymous to Buick? However if done tastfully enough, as I am hoping to see the SEMA vehicles display, then it is a good thing for Buick to interest a younger market.

As for these Lucernes, I so glad to see the effort. 11 customs sounds like alot. We can only hope someone takes notice. But its going to take more than "bling" wheels and insane amounts of bass to impress me.

202592[/snapback]

Amen to that! Any yahoo on the street can add rims and a stereo system. I'm looking for something truly unique.

I can also vouch that for years my brother has sold Buicks to the young crowd that love them. It seems that younger people love the soft ride and the ability for the cars to hold lots of their friends in comfort. They are also dependable and cheap to fix so that is another reason. My nephew has a Chrysler and had a Toyota before that but he is still dreaming of owning a big Buick. He seems to love the idea of being able to turn with one finger.

In elementary school, I had posters of Tornados and Regals up on my wall.

In middle school, I carried Buick, Olds, and Cadillac brochures to lunch.

In high school, people knew me as a car guy and right behind that, a Buick guy.

And today at twenty-one I...well, I drive an Oldsmobile, but would never turn my nose up at a Buick.

Customizing the lucerne in that way gives it the appearance of being more sporty.

On the other hand, sporty is not a charactersitic that can be associated with that car and these versions may just mess with people's impressions of the car that its refined and elegant. (not sporty) My impression of the lucernce is that they're going mroe for refined lucury lexus rather than ultimate driving machine bmw.

Plus the car is outdated underneath the skin and that cleary shows and gives the impression that your buying the car for its luxurious ameneties rather than for its on-road performance.

How about some unique, bright colors? Most of Lucerne's colors (Ming Blue, Dark Garnet, etc.), a navy blue and maroon respectively, are really boring. More chrome, maybe different front and rear ends if possible, stuff like that. I have a hard time believing LeSabre's, Park Avenue's, or Lucerne's, or any other post-muscle car/Grand National-era Buick having any remote younger people connection other than people who need a good, reliable, not-blung-out car. Most big Buick's I see are driven by senior citizens, hardly families anymore either (mine and maybe a few others are a seemingly rare exception).

In elementary school, I had posters of Tornados and Regals up on my wall.

In middle school, I carried Buick, Olds, and Cadillac brochures to lunch.

In high school, people knew me as a car guy and right behind that, a Buick guy.

And today at twenty-one I...well, I drive an Oldsmobile, but would never turn my nose up at a Buick.

202678[/snapback]

Funny thing, this is true you were definetly the Buick Man and the briefcase dude, and the most entertaining person in german class, but back to buicks thats sweet that they are doing this i just hope they dont make them all ghetto with 24's and all that useless crap that does nothing for me at least,there is nothing wrong with buicks new or old my buddy had a brown 88 Park Ave. it was fast ,comfy and indestructible and the 72 Riviera that is probably my favorite car ever along with the 60 and 62 chevy biscayne.

Yeah definitely NOT a SEMA car. The SEMA teams put much more effort and 'Custom' work into their cars. This is simply a dealer who worked with a local shop to force a buyer to pay more money for extra options that ugly up the car. Oddly enough it appears to be parked on a Lincoln/Mercury lot...

My predictions of what we will see for SEMA is this(not necessarily all on one vehicle of course):

1. At least 1/4 of the cars will have black or color-matched rims

2. Special grille treatment (billet, strut, color matched?) Perhaps even completely reshaped like the Avalon last year

3. Lower body kit all around, fairly boxy and simple. To follow the VIP fashion of Japan as stated in the article. The rear valance will surroud the exhaust tips and possibly have a small mesh diffuser between them.

4. Rear Spoiler flush mount still, but larger than the OEM unit and possibly molded into the decklid.

5. Other custom body mods, like shaved door handles, etc...

6. Projector headlamp stolen from Cadillac (not the housing themselves, but the bulbs and technology)

7. Two-tone paint jobs, subtle and classy look

8. At least 2 that will take the car to extreme levels of youth, way out of character for a typical Buick. Think orange paint, ghost flames, totally different direction than the rest.

9. Interior will be two-tone with suede or some other special fabric.

10. Woodgrain replaced by color-matched or other material overlay

11. Headrest and vanity screens a given.

12. One ultra luxury theme, including curtains for rear windows(like Maybach), and wine compartment.

Hey they may not all happen, but I do expect most of them. If I am proven wrong, I just hope the alternatives aren't terrible. Some of these ideas are what I would personally do to it. Can't wait to see them.

Over the past week, since reading this thread, I've paid more attention to who's behind the wheel of the older LeSabres and PAs I've seen. Sure enough, quite a few are not the white haired folks you think you'd see. Also, the last two Lucerne CXS's I've seen have been driven by younger African-American men . . . . .

Here's one of them...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

203453[/snapback]

Dont think thats one of em, no offense, not saying your wrong...but i've seen plenty of cars with those tops + rims

just looks like an old man had too much money again :lol:

203478[/snapback]

Yeah definitely NOT a SEMA car.  The SEMA teams put much more effort and 'Custom' work into their cars.  This is simply a dealer who worked with a local shop to force a buyer to pay more money for extra options that ugly up the car.  Oddly enough it appears to be parked on a Lincoln/Mercury lot...

203524[/snapback]

You don't think there might be a wee bit a sarcasm there, do you?

-RBB

I've seen a few V8's being driven by men in their 40's/50's.

I saw a guy driving a bronzemist CX that looked like he was in his 20's, but of course there's always the chance he borrowed it or inherited it from a blue-haired grandma :AH-HA_wink:

You don't think there might be a wee bit a sarcasm there, do you?

-RBB

203644[/snapback]

See in emails and message boards it is hard to tell people's tone. Of course the absence of any smilies didn't help to show he was joking. So therefore I assumed he was more idiotic than sarcastic. :smilewide:

Edited by CreativeVision

I wonder what a flame red Lucerne would look like? :scratchchin:

202890[/snapback]

Lucerne come in "Crimson Pearl". In person much brighter than depicted on the BUICK site. Most of the pre-production photos of the Lucerne that were distributed to all the cars mags, and I'm sure there's a link on here somewhere, show it in that color. Very sharp in person . . .