Ocn has a moment

ocnblu

Yeah, I geeked the Pontiac lot this afternoon. I checked out everything up front, then glanced out back... and there it was. I don't even know how this happened, it just did.

2007 G6 GT coupe, in clean, pure white with ebony cloth, Sun&Sound package, chrome clads, and floormats. It just struck me. $23,965, I think it was. I envisioned it with the chrome lower GM accessory grilles. I stopped dead in my tracks. I pressed nose to glass. I slowly walked around to check it out from all angles. This is one sweet looking coupe. I'm in frickin' love.

I want it so bad.

Got one of dem dar whit ons in da driveway Blu. Everytime I look at it from the rear, I just want to get naked and rub all over it... 8) Driving it for hours is another story. Then I feel like someone got naked and rubbed all over my rear..... :lol:...someone named Lutz.... :lol: remember in hetero this is not a positive... :lol:

I guess alot of people are comfortable in them though. Very sweet looking, great handling and drivability. Pretty good package for the price too. Ours, case you forgot is taupe cloth, which, in my opinion adds a lot more character to the interior. It puts two tone on the doors and lightens up the inside. This was the only car within 100 miles that had that interior. There was a taupe leather retractable but out of our budget. All the black interior cars ? ...we would have passed.

But yea, they are one sexy beeyach

I like the rear 3/4ths a lot...it's the front the kills it for me. Like to different cars welded together.

202835[/snapback]

Na, I dont think so, the front is just not as standout. Then theres the grills. but for styling I believe its a pretty solid design. Seems like the coupe should have different facia or something though, because coming from opposite dirrection you cant tell which it is until you get the first peak of the hips.

Yeah, I saw an orange Monaro parked along a quiet residential street last evening. It looks good in that color, very rich.

Anyway, I'm going to stop by the BPG dealership at lunchtime to pick up my new clutch pedal pad and get another look at the G6. Just to see if I feel the same way today as I did when I first saw it.

Edited by ocnblu

I agree about the photos, Harl.

The particular car I looked at is off my list... because at some point it had a very hasty paint repair done to it at the A-pillar... a thick ass tape line was evident, and overspray on the top of the quarter glass rubber, and along the edge of the door glass rubber. I later called the sales manager (it most likely happened at the factory bodyshop before shipping) and told him. He said he appreciated my call. So... sigh. I still love the G6 coupe in white, just not that one.

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Damn you, Bimmer. Now I want one in black. :D

Of course, the Grand Am 6 Coupe bases at twenty-grand, and at the same price, the Solstice becomes an option.

Eh. I can't afford the payments on either of them. I think I'll just buy a used Firebird instead.

Located in York, PA (1/2 hour away)

2007 G6 GT coupe

floor mats

Sport Package (3.9L, 6 speed manual, 18" rims, Stabilitrak, dual exhaust)

Sun & Sound (sunroof, CD changer)

Electric Blue/Ebony cloth

List price: $24,785

I think this calls for a road trip tomorrow. :)

Better drive it awhile, and ask yourself if you like the gas peddle/foot action and hanging from the steering wheel with two hands like an ape. Its way too far away for me. I know your shorter so it might not be as bad but I still bet you cant get your arms on the armrest and hands on wheel at the same time.

You may also notice you need to push the clutch that extra little distance with your ankle, kinda like tip toe action...Never in all my years................have I drivin such an awkward car/truck/machine/bike/sled/ski/tricycle/little red wagon.......

Better drive it awhile, and ask yourself if you like the gas peddle/foot action and hanging from the steering wheel with two hands like an ape. Its way too far away for me. I know your shorter so it might not be as bad but I still bet you cant get your arms on the armrest and hands on wheel at the same time.

204579[/snapback]

OK... did you actually adjust the wheel properly? If it's far away... did you pull it towards you? Or are you simply sitting too far back?

Someone at work has a G6 Convertible in white.. it definitely looks good and it definitely stands out in the parking lot as not your typical blandmobile... if you can spot it amongst the 5000 SUVs that are so needed in eastern Long Island. :rolleyes:

Its only Money Ocnblu, You can have it and the truck at the same time trust me. Im sure you make enough to make it happen. and then there is always the 30 year plan to pay off a car.

US Epsilons have a telescoping steering column, I certainly hope I can get comfortable while banging off shifts.

razor, your visual reminds me of when I was a little bitty boy trying to see over the steering wheel of a '71 Ford F-600, I looked like a spider monkey hanging onto that wheel while driving it around the farm.

Harl, let's go. I do have to run some errands before we hit Rt. 30, however. :AH-HA_wink:

Yes it telescopes, yet all the way out its further away than former conventional wheels. It seems the only benefit of this telescopeing wheel is for those that want to drive, lock elbowed, with their shoulders.

I dont look like a monkey hanging, just feel like one. The look more resembles Frankenstien walking with his arms held out in front of him. Its a bit rigid for my tastes. I like to relax, that stiff armed, white knuckle $h! is for high speeds, not sprited driving but HIGH SPEED. It certainly has no place in a simple country drive or trip to the city and back.

Im serious, you have been driving for awhile, many vehicals, just think about it as you drive and position stuff. I sure I wish I had. It took me a few 200 mile trips before I totally realized that I could never get comfortable and relaxed in the car.

I did a long drive the day we bought it, read my review, it came out bazaar, you'll notice I had little to say except that I needed time to adapt to carving my radious properly, I just couldnt figure out the feel of the car. Not something I traditionally have problems with. Then I drove it to Limerock and began to be concerned with the issue. Then came the second trip to Limerock and I KNEW, I knew something is wrong with the layout in that car. I have driven and wore out alot of cars. I never had one I found awkward......until this one.

Really sucks too because this car looks the part I like, it is however, not the car it looks like.

I was very comfortable in it.

Pros:

strong 3.9L engine

smooth takeoff with manual

excellent stereo

quiet, solid ride

styling in and out

Cons:

ripple in bodywork, driver's door, appears to have been repaired with Paintless Dent Repair method :( (Yes, I am conditioned to look at that stuff, it is second nature.)

Used vehicle appraiser a thieving sonofabitch with a pisspoor attitude. I could hear him raising his voice to the old lady salesperson when she told him what I was hoping for in trade. "With forty thousand miles!? And a manual!?"

Long faces of salespeople in general. I could not even get any of them to crack the slightest smile.

Bottom line:

my truck plus $4.2k down equals about $350/mo for 6 years, or about $30 more per month than the truck. I told her I'd call her monday, and I will, to turn it down, because of the (slight) damage and the crappy trade-in value.

So, darn it. It's really a nice driving car. I love it.

Edited by ocnblu

Ours is 352 month, no money down, no trade in. That is due to the 0%.

The voice raising is for your ears to hear, its a game, same as when you get up to leave, they tell you to wait a minute, then go back in the "room" to see if you wait. So you do wait, out of respect, while they watch you around the corner and do a little more yelling, then come back and say, "no we cant do any better". Last guy they did that to punched the door of the car............. :lol:

The G6 coupe does have body ripples, above and below the crease, on the door and in the rear quarter, go check it out at night, very obvious, not so much in broad daylight.

If you had checked out the areas I pointed out you would have seen clearly what I was talking about. I just drove ours again tonight, with the side of my foot on the gas pedal and barely the tip of my elbow on the arm rest. No cups to deal with, thank goodness.

I must have learned how to drive wrong, I always though you operated pedals with the ball of the foot or just behind, into the arch, similar to bicycle, horse riding and pedal operated equipment. No chance to get the ball of the foot on a G6 GTP gas pedal with the console 1 inch away. Must be GM engineers figure that ball/arch of the foot all these centurys was simply bogus human habit that needed to be changed.

Gotta love the flat spot with a barely rolled edge on the overly fat steering wheel too. I heard one day soon they are going to start putting flat spots on shovel handles, pick axes, and sledge hammers. I understand the framing carpenters are really excited about a new hammer with a flat spot on the handle.......... :rolleyes: Their crying for fatter and fatter handles as well....... :stupid:

Go check it out, then use your best evaluation, search your mind and ponder.........why are these areas......designed this way ? If you can find an appropriate convincing explaination..........get back to me, with specifics that will prove you really looked into it and though it over. I will gladly listen.

Tool handles are round, the fingers curve evenly, wraping themselves smoothly, comfortably around.........a steering wheel is a tool and should not be flat on the top side, outside, whatever you chose to call it...........PERIOD ! Never were.......why are they now ?

Look, Im not sitting here crying about hard plastic, not enough gear numbers, not enough camshafts, not enough air bags

Im complaining about some things that no one whos drivin for 30 years would have ever thought could possibly be an issue, not on the radar and yet here they are, so screwed up, so wrong, so easily unnecessary.

Is it a rant ? OK, maybe I should have Lutz's job. Its more than apparent there needs to be someone in charge because it obvious no ones got their eyes on.

I was quite for months, hoping for adaptation, hopeing there was something wrong with my expectations, hopeing I would never have to admit I was wrong, save face so to speak..............well I guess I have boiled over.................go check it out and be really honest, not complacent as I was.

Sorry for your thread Blu, you know as well as I, we were two of the most interested individuals on this site about the GTP coupe........I even backed it up with a purchase. I will leave this thread alone now, I just want someone to pay attention to these two areas of driver comfort. If someone prefers a wheel a distance away, I can deal with that, though I though that would be a benefit of tele. However this right foot area, cup holes and flat sided steering wheel are awkward, unforgivable and unnecessary.

I am sorry but not for GM

I found the G6's driving position to be a bit uncomfortable, but not that much. I never found a problem with the steering wheel being too far away. Then again, I like to sit upright, while I notice alot of people like a more relaxed position. Perhaps, Razor, you just have the seat back at too much of an angle. Just an idea. I never really found a problem with the console being too close to the gas pedal either. I've never even heard of using the ball of your foot. That seems unnatural to me.

Then again... I'm short. :P

Razor, this series of ripples was not normal. The car was parked in a row, next to my truck on one side, and another vehicle on the other. The reflections off those vehicles gave an excellent perspective for checking out body flaws. And it was only on the driver's side, something that can be noticed fairly easily when the car is shiny clean (the car was dirty). Believe me, this was not designed in, and I would not buy a brand new vehicle with body damage. Who would?

Razor, you sound like you're a bit on edge. I have this visual of you, in your G6, flipping out, kicking the console, dash and door panels in a tantrum. Please do not harm your Pontiac.

It's always worth the hassle of selling your vehicle privately, I guess. I know I can get up to 2 grand more if I sell it myself than try to trade it in. That's a lot of money toward a downpayment.

A new scenario: Factory order the new vehicle I want. Put my truck up for sale. Buy a $1500 beater to get me to work. Sell the truck. Trade the beater on the new vehicle when it comes in. Does that sound reasonable?

Edited by ocnblu

To each their own, but I'd rather buy a GTO (even used) than a new G6. Much better interior, better driving dynamics, way better performance. Styling is subjective. The GTO is just a much better driver's car. The G6 sedan I drove (base, when they first came out) was a rental car/appliance.

Sure, I know, there's RWD vs. FWD (you're in PA - snow tires fixes that), and the GTO's limited trunk space, but do yourself a favor and take one for a spin before consummating that G6 affair...

Razor, you sound like you're a bit on edge.  I have this visual of you, in your G6, flipping out, kicking the console, dash and door panels in a tantrum.  Please do not harm your Pontiac.

?

205019[/snapback]

No Im not that kind of idiot, somekind but not that. I actually just got back from a trip to the city last night and all the way I just couldnt believe that these things were designed like this. It did and does have me truely kickin mad but not at that beautiful car.........just please bring me the col-ledge grads responsible and Ill show all where Ill do the kickin.

I will get this all photo documented and up on articals, I promise. Anyone that owns one and drives it regular in all conditions and denies these problems is in denial for what ever reasons. They do exist. Alot of people have not drivin many cars and least not comfortable older designed car where these layouts were always a givin, not something that someone needed to changed in an effort to be one of great revelation. So what Im saying is if you dont know better you will say "I dont have a problem with it". Then I will say you need to get a real car because you know not what you are missing.

Vipes, I drive with back of seat all the way up, old school.....used to be called "bolt upright" I always get a kick out of the side hats with their little heads in the back passenger compartment.......

The cures are so simple

1. Longer telescopeing steering wheel column, it is simply designed 4" too short

2. relocate what ever the heck electronic device that is behind the console and reshape the plastic so it does not extend into the foot area.....like consoles have always been

3. design - slide/fold/hinge/whatever - away cup holder into the dash beside the "stack" out of the way and extend the armrest/storage compartment forward into the area where it was supposed to be in the first place......where arm rests have always been

4. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.........in this case... steering wheel and make it completely round to fit the hand and wittle fingies........like all tool handles have always been.....then stop trying to make them as fat as a sledge hammer handle.........this is a steering wheel, its a fine tool used for fine widdling like say a chislers hammer.........not a friggin 12 pound maul designed to beat things into submission. If fatter was better I would think the primative scondrels that proceded us in previous decades, those that were born farmers sons and hardened to the core would have designed their wheels the size of a pick axe handle. But no, they did not. So how large is the diameter of a baseball bat handle ? Why is that ? Does said baseball bat have flat spots on it ? Why is that ?

ANY QUESTIONS !!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

:) :AH-HA_wink:

Im just rehearsing for my full assult on "Czar Bob Guru Lutz" the Putz, perhaps by then I will have it worked out and wont be too ruff on the old guy.....after all, we know its wrong to disrespect thy elders....even if they are Putz's... :pbjtime:

Of course he could always do HIS JOB and make these things go away and then I will withdraw his newly earned nickname.

Oh, the GTO is much more car than the G6, I know that, and I am a RWD fan from way back.

I am scared to buy a car like a GTO used, so many of them get wrecked from carelessness. Not that I wouldn't do my best to avoid buying a repaired car.

I cannot afford $33k for a leftover '06. Even with a fair discount, I couldn't afford one. The dealership in York, PA I went to has 3... Stealth Gray, bright blue, and silver. The bright blue one had awesome blue leather interior.

The G6 coupe looks fantastic, imo, and it is a good compromise until the Zeta cars come on full force, especially with the 3.9L/six speed manual combo. I haven't driven a 3.6L/six speed auto car, but I'm sure that'll be a sweet car, if a little less fun to drive with the auto.

This month's Road&Track magazine has yet another NG GTO rendering, a convertible this time. It has cues from the '69 model, with the center beak, the fullwidth split grille, and exposed quad round headlamps. They are speculating the new car will have a V6 version at the entry level (they call it Tempest). I think it's a brilliant idear, and I've been advocating it for a long time... sell millions of 6 cylinder cars to keep the firebreathing variants on the market.

I rather have a GTO, G6, Or G5 than the Pontiac in my drive way. I have been trying to destroy the car. Every time i get in it I throw it In N and rev it till about 6000 and throw it in drive. Constantly flooring it and doing ebrake turns. the check engine light has been on for about 6 months. I think she still as about 2 years to pay it off too. At this point in life money doesnt matter since im sure i wont live past 60 anyway. If i destroy the car oh well, I buy a new one. Oh, dont tell her i destroy her car, I or i wont live past tommarow.

And Ocn and Razor, You only live once* So buy that GTO or Sports car Live life to the fullest.

(* Unless you belive in reincarnation)

This month's Road&Track magazine has yet another NG GTO rendering, a convertible this time.  It has cues from the '69 model, with the center beak, the fullwidth split grille, and exposed quad round headlamps.  They are speculating the new car will have a V6 version at the entry level (they call it Tempest).  I think it's a brilliant idear, and I've been advocating it for a long time... sell millions of 6 cylinder cars to keep the firebreathing variants on the market.

205064[/snapback]

Agreed, this is and has been the Mustang formula......and bygolly, looky here, the Mustang has survived.

Agreed, this is and has been the Mustang formula......and bygolly, looky here, the Mustang has survived.

205072[/snapback]

Can't agree more. It all seems so simple to me. It's a tried and true formula. GM has used it often. So often in retrospect we often think of Camaros, Firebirds and the like as only powerful V8 muscle cars. There were many sold as base models with sixes. Those with less means get a little of the image and it in turn makes the eight cyl, loaded ones possible and sustained over many years and GM makes money...everyone wins.

GM has to look no further than their own history to regain their former glory.

"Where is ocn? He's frickin' always here, every night. Shall I call in an APB?"

NO! :)

Dudes, I gotta tell ya... I've been out joyriding in a 2006 Mustang GT all evening. Just got home a few minutes ago.

O...M...G... that car is absolutely intoxicating. I love it. The owner of my workplace bought it new, had a chip upgrade, intake and exhaust work done, drove it 5300 miles, then stuck it on our used car lot.

I went to him this afternoon and asked him if we could get a Ford (not thinking of his car), and if Mustang GTs are available with an employee discount. He said no, and yes, but he could "set me up" if I want one. Then he said "Take mine home! I'll tell the used car manager it's ok!"

I said "Well, I love your car, but it's an automatic, I'd rather have a 5 speed."

He said "You take it home, I guarantee you'll love it."

He was right, dagnabit. Sigh...

Edited by ocnblu

There was a slighty used bronze Mustang convertable, when we were looking, it was a V6, nice interior package, it was really the car I wanted. She just had her heart set on the G6. There is already a few girls where she works with Mustangs and thats all it takes and then she doesnt want a car..........it has to be different and stand out.........that is something the white G6 GTP does well. SO did the LSS, but over the years there is now more and more Eighty Eights around, nearly the same silver/pewter color and even a few LSS's. SO it seems less special............but we know better...ours is one of the few supercharged and the LSS with its wheel/tire/stance still stands out.

The price on the Mustang conv. was $19,000+ I really really wanted it. Back seat be damned............

I wouldnt try to talk you out of this one Blu............unless they have stupid stuff going on in the cockpit too.