Toyota Launches Redesigned E14 Corolla

thegriffon

Toyota Launches Completely Redesigned Corolla Sedan

and Corolla Fielder

Tokyo — TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today the Japan sales launch of the completely redesigned Corolla sedan—now known as the Corolla Axio—and completely redesigned Corolla Fielder small station wagon through "Toyota Corolla" dealers nationwide. …

:arrow: Got to full press release from Toyota

Assembly Plant:

Corolla Axio: Honsha Plant, Central Motor Co., Ltd.

Corolla Fielder: Higashifuji Plant, Kanto Auto Works, Ltd.

"Completely redesigned" is an exaggeration. The new Corolla follows standard Toyota practice, with new powertrain options and a redesigned body and interior, but sharing the basic body structure introduced with the previous generation E12/E13* Corolla variants.

*E12 Corolla and Corolla Altis sedans, Corolla Fielder wagon, 3- and 5-door hatchbacks, Corolla Spacio MPV; E13 Corolla Matrix and Pontiac Vibe wagons.

If the platform ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unless the exterior is looking dated, then fix that.

That front end is the best I've seen on a Toyota. The profile is more Lexus-like, and the interior, particularly the HVAC part of the stack, looks great.

I just hope Ford can do just as well with their "new sheetmetal on a proven platform" Focus.

I have to admit, it is a very refined car, and looks good inside and out. It looks like it got a lot of influence from the new Yaris, and the front end reminds me of the tC. Nothing special about it, it certainly isn't as modern looking as the new Civic, or as controversial. :AH-HA_wink:

Guest YellowJacket894

Yeah. I've seen this before a dozen times. This car inspires me to make buttered toast, not drive -- it's nothing to be excited about and never will be.

Let me know when I give a damn.

I have to admit, it is a very refined car, and looks good inside and out. It looks like it got a lot of influence from the new Yaris, and the front end reminds me of the tC. Nothing special about it, it certainly isn't as modern looking as the new Civic, or as controversial.  :AH-HA_wink:

203396[/snapback]

i agree the front end is definetly TC-ish

Guest YellowJacket894

If you don't give a damn, why the heck are you in this thread?

203435[/snapback]

Because life's kicking my ass today, and since Toyota was the closest ass to kick back . . .

Decent looking, but not good enough to catch my eye. I'd take a 3, Golf, Cobalt, Caliber, or even Spectra over this.

Well... It's shiny.

Nice interior for its price segment, and interesting double-glovebox setup on the passenger side. If the nav screen makes it to the states, then it won't be long before every single car on the road has the option.

Nothing else is worth mentioning.

And that's all the Corolla is. Refined, economical, super reliable, high quality bland transportation.

203433[/snapback]

Maybe too bland in this case. The rumor is that the U.S. launch of the Corolla was delayed until the 2008 MY after Toyota saw the new Civic, so they're doing a last minute facelift for the U.S. version.

The front end reminds me of the tc so that is a good family resemblence other then the grill. The interior is nice looking. Oddly enough I like the Yaris better and the Civic is way better looking espeacially the 2 door version. I do not see this "new" Corolla outselling the Civic.

If this is bland then the Cobalt is even more bland.

203670[/snapback]

Both are pretty normal. Nothing exciting about either. The Cobalt Coupe looks much better than the Sedan. But we are comparing Sedans so....

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think they both look ok.

My compact car of choice...ladies and gentlemen: the older yet superior in every way MAZDA3

Can you really say every way? What about mileage and reliability (two very big selling points in this segment)? This next Corolla will undoubtably be the EPA mileage king, you can bet Toyota will see to that!

Can you really say every way? What about mileage and reliability (two very big selling points in this segment)? This next Corolla will undoubtably be the EPA mileage king, you can bet Toyota will see to that!

203782[/snapback]

I'm willing to bet mileage difference would only be a few miles pwer gallon. I can sacrifice a little fuel economy for a a better looking car inside and out, and one that performs better.

Guys, this Corolla is the Japanese/European version. The US version will be completely different. I don't understand why everyone starts to compare the Cobalt to this thing.

The Taiwanese Corolla Altis, which is the closest (same?) to the US Corolla actually got some new enhancements for 2006.

Posted Image

203782[/snapback]

I wouldn't say undoubtedly, since it's not even a direct comparison at the moment. If you are comparing the US Mazda3s here, which I assume you're thinking about, Mazda3s overseas don't get any of the engines that are sold here, minus the MS3 Turbo 2.3. You can't compare cars across different sales areas. The cars are just simply different.

Maybe too bland in this case.  The rumor is that the U.S. launch of the Corolla was delayed until the 2008 MY after Toyota saw the new Civic, so they're doing a last minute facelift for the U.S. version.

203616[/snapback]

Not last-minute. The US model (E12 G) is already different to the Japanese and South African-built sedans (E12 A) this replaces, and will continue to be. The delay is to ensure Toyota stays ahead on quality in one of the few segments it still has a lead.

My compact car of choice...ladies and gentlemen: the older yet superior in every way MAZDA3

Toyota, you're newer product is inferior...go kill yourself. :P

203778[/snapback]

I'd take a Golf/Rabbit, EU Focus, EU Civic, C4, or even an Astra over a 3 anyday.

Whoever thinks Corollas are refined needs to put a few thousand miles on one. I did. Well, on two. Uncomfortable, unstable, lousy road manners, crappy handling, irritating engines, cheapness abounding, misaligned-by-design interior pieces, crappy radio, too-small steering wheel...

I'd take a golf cart over a Corolla because I don't feel I'll tip over rounding a corner driving a golf cart.

Doesn't the Astra have a live axle or something still? Or semi-indepentdent but not fully? I forget...

203897[/snapback]

Twist-beam, like the Cobalt.

The conventional wisdom out there is that Astra is worst-handling of all the Germans (Focus, Golf, Astra). Apparently the VXR version has insane torque steer and insane understeer.

And I'd still have it over the 3.

Twist-beam, like the Cobalt.

The conventional wisdom out there is that Astra is worst-handling of all the Germans (Focus, Golf, Astra). Apparently the VXR version has insane torque steer and insane understeer.

And I'd still have it over the 3.

203900[/snapback]

Most compacts use a semi-independent torsion beam—Astra, Cobalt, Megane, Sentra, Jetta, 3-/5-door Civic, Corolla etc.. The Civic sedan and the Ford/Mazda compacts are the major exceptions. The VXR has insane torque steer mostly because it has more much more power than any other fwd hatch (237 hp v 217 for the top Focus), aside from the Alfa 147 GTA, which suffers the same complaint, and the Mazda3 MPS. Those few with more power (the Golf R32, A3 3.2 and S3) are awd. The Astra is quite well rated for its handling, aided even more by optional continuous damping control, although the VXR may simply have too much power (although even more (276 hp) is available in the fwd Vectra).

So that sedan pictured is the car we're getting or got saved from getting? It looks just like the current boring and ugly model, but now this Corolla just looks boring, so I suppose its a very slight, miniscule improvement. Fabulous interior though!

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

WOW!!! What an amazing post. It's strange that on many other car forums, you'd see very similar posts with the exception being a GM car's name in the place of "Corolla". Fanboys....

203997[/snapback]

A. Knowing Fly, he'd just as quickly criticize a GM vehicle if it suffered those qualities.

B. Fanboys? I'm not sure if you realize this is a GM fan site. Why, we even have this :gm_logo: and this :Toyota: in our emoticon arsenal. But putting that aside, it sounds to me like you have some ANTI-GM bias judging by your response. I'm sure a lot of the people with those similar posts actually did have those problems with a GM car. Just like Flybrian actually had these problems with Corolla rentals.

Do you need to jump on him so hard? You sound angry. Take a short break, pick up some model Corvettes, and smash them into the ground a few times. That should get your aggression out a bit...