Toyota Launches Redesigned E14 Corolla

thegriffon

A. Knowing Fly, he'd just as quickly criticize a GM vehicle if it suffered those qualities.

B. Fanboys?  I'm not sure if you realize this is a GM fan site. Why, we even have this :gm_logo: and this :Toyota: in our emoticon arsenal.  But putting that aside, it sounds to me like you have some ANTI-GM bias judging by your response.  I'm sure a lot of the people with those similar posts actually did have those problems with a GM car.  Just like Flybrian actually had these problems with Corolla rentals.

Do you need to jump on him so hard?  You sound angry.  Take a short break, pick up some model Corvettes, and smash them into the ground a few times.  That should get your aggression out a bit...

204054[/snapback]

Aaah......the Corvette.......there's a car! Now we're talking. :D

See? Now you're relaxed a bit.

Okay everyone, back to the Corolla bashing. :P

Indeed, if Toyota is delaying the Corolla for US release because of design, then they're probably going to try something more radical than what's in this thread. If that's the case, I'm honestly quite scared.

Scared that the Corolla is going to dominate the compact market? No, I already know that's inevitable because of the public's perception of the Toyota badge.

I'm more frightened that the replacement design will be gruesomely ugly. I have a feeling whatever they do, I'm gong to prefer the car pictured in this thread.

Most compacts use a semi-independent torsion beam—Astra, Cobalt, Megane, Sentra, Jetta, 3-/5-door Civic, Corolla etc.. The Civic sedan and the Ford/Mazda compacts are the major exceptions. The VXR has insane torque steer mostly because it has more much more power than any other fwd hatch (237 hp v 217 for the top Focus), aside from the Alfa 147 GTA, which suffers the same complaint, and the Mazda3 MPS. Those few with more power (the Golf R32, A3 3.2 and S3) are awd. The Astra is quite well rated for its handling, aided even more by optional continuous damping control, although the VXR may simply have too much power (although even more (276 hp) is available in the fwd Vectra).

203942[/snapback]

MKV Golf/Jettas have a multilink rear design, not torsion beam.

WOW!!! What an amazing post. It's strange that on many other car forums, you'd see very similar posts with the exception being a GM car's name in the place of "Corolla". Fanboys....

203997[/snapback]

No GM car I know of has a too-small steering wheel.

And I'm am seriously appalled at why the Corolla continues to sell as it does, just as I was amazed at how the subpar 2002-2006 Camry continued to hold the best-selling title. Versus the Corolla, the ION/Cobalt/G5 and Focus are cheaper and offer more bodystyles, the Koreans offer better warranties, the Civic is far more refined, the 3 is more appealing, and the Golf is more sporting. All of the above simply looked better. I would say it and the last Sentra tied for overall compact lousiness.

And I've seriously never driven a compact car that felt as unstable as a Corolla.

The current Corolla is a lousy car that Toyota cannot replace soon enough. Like the Camry, it's for people who want a low-risk purchase, and it is likewise steeped in mediocrity and is not a pleasant driving experience.

The Japanese market Corolla looks dumpy to me.

Yet have you ever seen a totally glowing review of it? It's not a bad car... but it's not a great one either. There are better choices.

204310[/snapback]

No, I've never seen a glowing review for the Corolla.

And there are much better alternatives which is exactly why Toyota is delaying the next model by one year.

As far as the superior models go:

The Golf - unreliable, which defeats the purpose of an econobox, zero brand loyalty.

The Civic - I don't know why it doesn't sell better, a bit over the top I suppose.

The ION - widely considered the worst car in its class

Cobalt - it's just as mediocre as the Corolla, and it sells fine.

The Mazda3 - no brand recognition, zero loyalty

Even close?

Posted Image

Posted Image

v.

Posted Image

Posted Image

204572[/snapback]

Since when was "looking like a GTO" a good thing? I remember when loads of C&Gers :hissyfit: -ed about it looking too much like a Cavalier.

The Cobalt SS does have cool Corvette-inspired tail lights, I'll give you that. And the greenhouse is kinda traditional coupe-ish, the way the rear glass enters C-pillar territory.

Edited by empowah

This is one of the most retarded things I've read on this forum yet. Zero clarity of thought. How or why does this matter in any way? A Corolla is designed to suit it's market, function and price. Nothing more, nothing less.

203994[/snapback]

He's just trying to desperatly prove that the Cobalt is better thatn Corolla because they produce a coupe that resembles a baby GTO

I've driven both at length. The cobalt feels more stable, has more damping and solidarity, and the steering feels more precise. The corolla feels better put together, imparts higher quality thanks to more substantial materials used, has a nicer interior design, and is more commodious from the brief amount of time I spent in the back seat of the cobalt. Both are average cars exterior-wise with the Cobalt offering a bit more taut looks in a Civic lookalike package. The difference is Toyota is renowned for selling cars that are appliances, will function until the day you die or get tired of it, and hold thier value/new car feel for a very long time. They don't style thier cars, people buy them. Cobalt could have been more and would have been more saleswise, instead the rental car look has relegated it to that status, even if it sells well retail wise. Although of the compacts, the only cars that I would say don't automatically scream rental car nowadays are the Civic and 3 hatch. Corolla also gets better gas mileage, at least on paper. Corolla sells because of brand recognition, great attributes of durability good resale solid construction, interior accomodations, good value, and of couse efficiency in these high gas priced times.

EDIT: engine of the cobalt is stronger, I think, by a healthy margin, not by paper but by actual feel. this is a plus, but corolla gets the job done for what is was designed to do. comparitively there seems to be a big difference, however.

Edited by turbo200

He's just trying to desperatly prove that the Cobalt is better thatn Corolla because they produce a coupe that resembles a baby GTO

204759[/snapback]

Not better, just more interesting looking. Cobalts also have performance options not available to Corollas.

You also never hear of Corollas pwning 3-series in rally events.

I'm sure the Corolla has all the reliability of your basic beige Fridgidare, unfortunately, it has about the same amount of personality as that beige appliance.

Yeah. I've seen this before a dozen times. This car inspires me to make buttered toast, not drive -- it's nothing to be excited about and never will be.

Let me know when I give a damn.

203408[/snapback]

Well, if your looking for something to be that exciting then why would you be looking at a Corolla? Corolla has been the most reliable car on the road for the last 10 years or so. It has never had a recall since the day it was introduced back in 1967. This thing has always sold and always will sell good because of it's history! They could turn this thing into the ugliest car on earth and people will still buy it because it doesn't cost anything to own it.

I want you to go drive a Corolla XRS with the six speed manual tranny and don't shift until you red line it at 8,000rpm. It can perform with the Cobalt, but people don't buy Corolla's for this. Go to Consumer Reports and look at their 2 list's of "Most Reliable" and "Most Unreliable" cars and truck's. The Cobalt and almost every other GM, Ford, and Chrysler is on the "Most Unreliable" list! This is the exact reason Ford, GM and Chrysler are in financial ruin's! I will be driving my 4Runner when most of their new cars are in the junk yard!

Well, if your looking for something to be that exciting then why would you be looking at a Corolla? Corolla has been the most reliable car on the road for the last 10 years or so. It has never had a recall since the day it was introduced back in 1967. This thing has always sold and always will sell good because of it's history! They could turn this thing into the ugliest car on earth and people will still buy it because it doesn't cost anything to own it.

206637[/snapback]

They should have recalled the 93-97 models for cheap ass door handles (both interior and exterior). They are made out of horribly cheap plastic that tends to break. I've seen it on several Prizms and Corollas.

206637[/snapback]

Hmm...

2005 Corolla Recalls

2004 Corolla Recalls

2003 Corolla Recalls

Need I go on? I can go all the way back to 1983.

It has never had a recall since the day it was introduced back in 1967.

206637[/snapback]

ORLY?

Loose Bolts in Rear Axle Assly - 2003MY

Overdrilled Lugnut Holes - 2004MY

Two for the current generation alone.

Don't speak in finites; it'll bite you every time.

As far as Consumer Reports goes, that's the same publication that tries to fake rollovers, predicts reliability on all-new models based on nameplate predecessors, and complains about trunk hinges on domestics but not imports. Yeah. Good reading...about the same level as Charmin.

Better make sure those are not "bulletins" instead of recalls because we have never gotten a recall notice in any form from Toyota in the ten years I've been working on them. GM was nice enough to send out "Bulletin's" on all of their 3.8 liter V6's from '97-'03 because the upper intake gasket's were melting through. They lost a lot of customer's by making them pay $700 to fix a GM mistake!

206637[/snapback]

According to the NHTSA there have been many recalls (not TSBs, recalls, some very serious) of the Corolla over the years ('94 was a particularly bad year with three), but certainly far fewer than the Camry, which by comparison is a piece of junk (partly why it hasn't won a JD Power quality award for as far back as I can remember).

Detroit Nut, many of the recalls at cars.com you listed are for various brands of replacement lights, a persistent problem affecting not only the Corolla but a large number of vehicles from most manufacturers. Be careful when buying replacement bulbs, no matter what car you drive.

Detroit Nut, many of the recalls at cars.com you listed are for various brands of replacement lights, a persistent problem affecting not only the Corolla but a large number of vehicles from most manufacturers. Be careful when buying replacement bulbs, no matter what car you drive.

206694[/snapback]

Duly noted.

• 3 weeks later...

Both are pretty normal. Nothing exciting about either. The Cobalt Coupe looks much better than the Sedan. But we are comparing Sedans so....

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think they both look ok.

203688[/snapback]

WOW....seeing them next to each other, I really do think the Corolla looks far more upscale and refined.....

At first, I thought I'd consider it too bland....

And there's no mistaking the fact that the interior of the new Corolla is FAR superior to anything Cobalt can offer....

Okay everyone, back to the Corolla bashing. :P

204062[/snapback]

This is the kind of attitude that ruins my enjoyment factor on C&G.

I come on here because I like discussing ALL things automotive....not JUST GM....

We can discuss the competition....and agree or disagree to like the competition....but coming on here just to "bash" something seems really childish and moronic to me....

I have yet to see a poor review for either the Camry or Corolla anywhere outside of C&G.

204306[/snapback]

Indeed.....while I find the car pretty bland on the outside, I've been in numerous Corolla rentals and have found them pretty damn inoffensive.

I still think the current (old) Corolla interior is one of the nicest in fit-and-finish and materials....and even that old interior is hands and feet above the Cobalt in terms of execution.

I've never found it to be tippy or dangerous in it's handling. It's no sports sedan, but once again, inoffensive.

Powertrain could use more guts with the automatic and that's about the biggest bitch I have with the current Corolla.

Indeed.....while I find the car pretty bland on the outside, I've been in numerous Corolla rentals and have found them pretty damn inoffensive.

I still think the current (old) Corolla interior is one of the nicest in fit-and-finish and materials....and even that old interior is hands and feet above the Cobalt in terms of execution.

I've never found it to be tippy or dangerous in it's handling.  It's no sports sedan, but once again, inoffensive.

Powertrain could use more guts with the automatic and that's about the biggest bitch I have with the current Corolla.

212639[/snapback]

The `93-`97 Prizm looked better an had a nicer interior design IMO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hate how the stereo is off center with the rest of the center stack. <_<

Edited by Dodgefan