2007 Acura MDX Preview

Dragon

This coming from a guy who drives a 500 and an Aztec. Dude, have you ever sat in a new Acura? Forget about brand positioning, perception and other status nonsense. Lets judge the cars on their own merit and see how they do. The cars are truely excellent and luxurious and have fantastic build quality. Even modern day Mercedes cars don't have the vault like interior and quality of an RL. Don't judge sitting from an internet forum. Spend a day and go test drive an Acura RL or MDX and then go check out what the competition offers. You may come to a surprising conclusion. (hint: BMW interiors may feel like junk sub economy car interiors after sitting in some Acura's. Hope that doesn't destroy your fantasy)

One more thing, let's not go into "racing technology". Don't forget that Honda is one of the few companies that has the technology and know-how to be able to participate in a sport that can be considered the pinnacle of automotive engineering.

This 2.4L V8 puts out 700HP and spins to 20,000+ rpm

Posted Image

Not only do they have the know-how now, but they have been in this game for a long time now. Back in the day, Honda was one of the few companies to enter F1 with it's engine and it's own chassis design. Only Ferrari used to do that. Even in the years when they didn't actively participate, their V-10 and V-12 engines were in very strong demand for their incredible power and reliability. Many constructor champions awards have been won on Honda F1 engines.

Trust me, Honda knows how to make killer engines. What they do in terms of brand positioning is their choice. I don't agree with the strategy of not offering a V8 on it's luxury models. However, that's they choose to do and they may revise that strategy in the future. For now though, they make great cars.

205037[/snapback]

*Agrees*

:duh:

Got anymore comments that are completely devoid of any logic or sense?

So you choose to spend your family's "investment money" on an Aztek? Splendid decision there. BTW, how's the resale on a car that is widely regarded as the ugliest vehicle developed in the history of the automobile industry?

Hey, why don't you just get a Kia or one of those new Chinese Chery cars when they come out. You can spend even less that way and be responsible.

We're on a forum dedicated to a brand that has made rebading an art form, and you're complaining about Honda's "rebadge". At least on an Acura, people don't have the faintest clue that they're in a so called "rebadge". The sheet metal is different, the interior is completely different (down to buttons, knobs, gauges, materials, textures, equipment, seats, space, noise levels, radio, HVAC, navigation, techno goodies.......practically everything), the engine is different, the suspension is different, the performance nad handling are different............sorry what was that you were saying again? You want rebadge? I can show you rebadge. Head over to your nearest Ford/GM dealership.

.....said the guy who knows so much about style and snob factor that he got an Aztek. I wonder who's the bonehead now.

I thought that's what smart people did. Your point?

So after all that I typed about Honda being clueless about brand positioning, you come back and tell me the same thing? Hello? That was my point. I also made an added point about Honda's being fantastic cars and some people could care less about "snob factor" and just want a great luxury vehicle at a great price. That's what Acura is.

205087[/snapback]

*Agrees*

Explaination? I'm sure you're aware that what an interior feels like and what it looks like in a photo or completely different things. BMW interiors look sparse and plain in photos and feel poor quality in person. The X3 has one of the worst quality interiors I've ever been in for a luxury car. The other interiors are hardly anything to talk about. (except 750 which has a fantastic interior)

If you want a great German interior? Audi. It looks boring and even dated in photos but when you sit in one, the quality is incredible. Everything from the leather quality, to the knobs, to the way the buttons feel and engage.......superb interiors. I have no problem with the design of BMW interiors. I find them boring but I suppose you could call them "Teutonic" or driver oriented or something. The design is excusable but they just don't feel like luxury interiors when you sit in them. Mercedes and Audi do a way better job when it comes to interiors and they're true luxury.

Why didn't the RL sell well? Because it's playing with the big boys without big boy ammunition (no V8). Honda insists on sticking to some lame policy about not offering V8. It's hurting them in the luxury market. The other huge problem is that the TL is almost as good as the RL in every way. Acura's typically come fully loaded (what are considered options on other cars are usually standard features on Acura). The only options on the TL are nav. and transmission. When you have something as good as the TL and the RL isn't significantly different, obviously you're going to lose sales. When someone shows up at an Acura dealership and sees a TL for $35K and an RL which is just a little bigger and has similar performance for $15K more, which would you think they'd pick?

205188[/snapback]

*Agrees*

The RL wasn't designed to be an Acura like the RDX, MDX, and TL were, nor was it designed to be a global competitor against BMWs, Audis, and Mercs. Honda simply reasoned there wasn't much to lose by sending the Legend here, and they were right; they sold a few copies.

Perhaps when Honda establishes Acura worldwide, like Toyota is doing with Lexus, will we see a distinctive RL. What we have now is Honda's top premium sedan, full of innovative technology, sure, but without the identity necessary to compete against prestige brands.

205212[/snapback]

^ What he said.

God, I love the quoting feature. I can quote the posts full of logic and knowledge, while not having to actually write much, nor get into a heated discussion... and make my point clear to those devoid of a brain. Yay. :P

Explaination? I'm sure you're aware that what an interior feels like and what it looks like in a photo or completely different things. BMW interiors look sparse and plain in photos and feel poor quality in person. The X3 has one of the worst quality interiors I've ever been in for a luxury car. The other interiors are hardly anything to talk about. (except 750 which has a fantastic interior)

If you want a great German interior? Audi. It looks boring and even dated in photos but when you sit in one, the quality is incredible. Everything from the leather quality, to the knobs, to the way the buttons feel and engage.......superb interiors. I have no problem with the design of BMW interiors. I find them boring but I suppose you could call them "Teutonic" or driver oriented or something. The design is excusable but they just don't feel like luxury interiors when you sit in them. Mercedes and Audi do a way better job when it comes to interiors and they're true luxury.

Why didn't the RL sell well? Because it's playing with the big boys without big boy ammunition (no V8). Honda insists on sticking to some lame policy about not offering V8. It's hurting them in the luxury market. The other huge problem is that the TL is almost as good as the RL in every way. Acura's typically come fully loaded (what are considered options on other cars are usually standard features on Acura). The only options on the TL are nav. and transmission. When you have something as good as the TL and the RL isn't significantly different, obviously you're going to lose sales. When someone shows up at an Acura dealership and sees a TL for $35K and an RL which is just a little bigger and has similar performance for $15K more, which would you think they'd pick?

205188[/snapback]

I've sat in plenty of BMWs, and with the exception of the X3 (which I would agree is not very good) they were all very nice. They come off just as nice as Acuras, and they certainly don't feel like cheap econo car interiors. Your statement about that is as rediculous as saying the Cobalt's interior is superior to an Avalon.

Not having a V8 should not hurt sales that much. First of all, the V6 is very powerful, and moves it pretty well. Lexus sells about 5 times as many GS320/350s as GS430s, so going by that, Acura would sell no more than 200 more copies per month by offering a V8 most likely.

And again, I don't see why the TL should have that much of an effect. The CTS is almost as big as the STS, but both still manage to sell pretty well, although the STS doesn't sell as well as Cadillac would like.

I've been a longtime GM fan and purchaser, until recently... it started with a Honda Accord and we traded for an '06 TSX Navi. Why did we buy it?

1. For 30k we got leather seats, auto climate control (uses GPS to locate sun and compinsates for temperature change to direct sunlight), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Vehicle Stability Assistance (VSA), 8 standard airbags including hip air bags, integrated Bluetooth Phone, voice command, XM, satellite navigation, 5-yr 60k warranty, lifetime TLC (Total Luxury Care--Roadside, Concierge, and travel services), 18" rims, performance handeling, 30 MPG HWY (we've been getting 38 MPG), etc.

I can attest that the interior is nothing short of fantastic. No complaints with soft touch Audi like plastic coatings everywhere. But, why did we buy it? We were impressed with Honda quality and wanted some more technology and luxury features. Lets face it, it is expensive to fix a german car. And we don't fit the clientele of Lexus or Cadillac as they are just to brash.

So, where does that leave us? Right were Honda wants Acura. In fact, the press release for the TSX states "intended market is households with median income of $80,000. Our intended buyer has grown up driving import cars."

Honda/Acura knows what they are doing. Resale is high on all Acuras including the RL. Go check it out. I don't care whether a whole bunch of people who aren't going to buy Acura's anyway think that Acura is or isn't a luxury brand. It wouldn't have changed my mind anyway. And that's how Honda wants it.

Maybe if Buick and Pontiac weren't damaged they would see this point and intended audience also.

I've been a longtime GM fan and purchaser, until recently... it started with a Honda Accord and we traded for an '06 TSX Navi.  Why did we buy it?

1.  For 30k we got leather seats, auto climate control (uses GPS to locate sun and compinsates for temperature change to direct sunlight), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Vehicle Stability Assistance (VSA), 8 standard airbags including hip air bags, integrated Bluetooth Phone, voice command, XM, satellite navigation, 5-yr 60k warranty, lifetime TLC (Total Luxury Care--Roadside, Concierge, and travel services), 18" rims, performance handeling, 30 MPG HWY (we've been getting 38 MPG), etc.

I can attest that the interior is nothing short of fantastic.  No complaints with soft touch Audi like plastic coatings everywhere.  But, why did we buy it?  We were impressed with Honda quality and wanted some more technology and luxury features.  Lets face it, it is expensive to fix a german car.  And we don't fit the clientele of Lexus or Cadillac as they are just to brash.

So, where does that leave us?  Right were Honda wants Acura.  In fact, the press release for the TSX states "intended market is households with median income of $80,000.  Our intended buyer has grown up driving import cars."

Honda/Acura knows what they are doing.  Resale is high on all Acuras including the RL.  Go check it out.  I don't care whether a whole bunch of people who aren't going to buy Acura's anyway think that Acura is or isn't a luxury brand.  It wouldn't have changed my mind anyway.  And that's how Honda wants it.

Maybe if Buick and Pontiac weren't damaged they would see this point and intended audience also.

205324[/snapback]

Exactly. They're well-built, comfortable, premium cars.

beyond being well-built and comfortable, they are superb driver's cars, they have excellent design interior design presence/quality and that's only improving.

this new generation of Acuras will continue to build on thier success. I own an RSX-S, it's the best car I've ever driven and the quality, style, and build are always impressive.

This thing is disgusting, the fake wood trim which makes up a good portion of the interior looks horrible. The grille has got to go, overall another ugly as sin abomination from Honda.

I'll take an Enclave, thank you...

This thing is disgusting, the fake wood trim which makes up a good portion of the interior looks horrible.  The grille has got to go, overall another ugly as sin abomination from Honda. 

I'll take an Enclave, thank you...

205359[/snapback]

I could be wrong but I don't think it's fake.

What I find appealing about Acura'sis their pricing and value-per-dollar. You get a lot of standard features at a reasonable price. You can tell with the release of the RDX and MDX that Acura is getting more serious. From what I hear the MDX is quite a good handler and is pretty damn fast too.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=116651

So if nothing else, the RL can be credited for it's AWD system, which benifits newer Acuras. As for the RL itself...it's plan and pointless since you can get it's V6 in the TL Type-S...which is a more nimble, better looking car.

I've been a longtime GM fan and purchaser, until recently... it started with a Honda Accord and we traded for an '06 TSX Navi.  Why did we buy it?

1.  For 30k we got leather seats, auto climate control (uses GPS to locate sun and compinsates for temperature change to direct sunlight), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Vehicle Stability Assistance (VSA), 8 standard airbags including hip air bags, integrated Bluetooth Phone, voice command, XM, satellite navigation, 5-yr 60k warranty, lifetime TLC (Total Luxury Care--Roadside, Concierge, and travel services), 18" rims, performance handeling, 30 MPG HWY (we've been getting 38 MPG), etc.

I can attest that the interior is nothing short of fantastic.  No complaints with soft touch Audi like plastic coatings everywhere.  But, why did we buy it?  We were impressed with Honda quality and wanted some more technology and luxury features.  Lets face it, it is expensive to fix a german car.  And we don't fit the clientele of Lexus or Cadillac as they are just to brash.

So, where does that leave us?  Right were Honda wants Acura.  In fact, the press release for the TSX states "intended market is households with median income of $80,000.  Our intended buyer has grown up driving import cars."

Honda/Acura knows what they are doing.  Resale is high on all Acuras including the RL.  Go check it out.  I don't care whether a whole bunch of people who aren't going to buy Acura's anyway think that Acura is or isn't a luxury brand.  It wouldn't have changed my mind anyway.  And that's how Honda wants it.

205324[/snapback]

Those are the exact reasons I bought an 05 TSX navi......I had gotten promoted at work and I wanted my first new car to be one I loved and would love for the next few years. I traded in my 02 RSX (which I bought used w/18k miles and was a perfect used car) for the 05 TSX and never looked back. Sure I could've spent an extra 5-10k on a BMW 3 series or MB C class but I still have college loans to pay and I do want to buy a house soon. Oh and I'm going to have a kid. Acura hit a market made for people like me....a few years out of college with a decent job/salary and who want to have nice looking, well built, fully featured cars that are steps above Civics without having to break the bank. The TSX is the entry level and the TL takes it up another notch and is a strong competitor....the TL and MDX are top sellers among consumers who list BMW and MB as other choices. Why? Because they offer more value for the money. There's no way I could've outfitted a 330 with the features of my TSX for anywhere near the same price. Sure I've got a 4 cyl instead of a 6 but considering the majority of my driving is commuting, I'm not missing the 6 too much. The RL is lagging for the reasons others pointed out........TL is basically the same car minus the SHAWD and some extras for a lot less.

Acura also has excellent service, warranties, roadside assistance.......I've always had good experiences at Acura and I'm a loyal customer. My boyfriend is the one actually buying our next car so I don't have the final say but I hope he chooses the MDX or RDX as our family car.

I could be wrong but I don't think it's fake.

What I find appealing about Acura'sis their pricing and value-per-dollar. You get a lot of standard features at a reasonable price. You can tell with the release of the RDX and MDX that Acura is getting more serious. From what I hear the MDX is quite a good handler and is pretty damn fast too.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=116651

So if nothing else, the RL can be credited for it's AWD system, which benifits newer Acuras. As for the RL itself...it's plan and pointless since you can get it's V6 in the TL Type-S...which is a more nimble, better looking car.

205368[/snapback]

It's a solid, well featured car that does drive well and is well priced. Not everyone cares about snob appeal. I'm not going to go bankrupt trying to impress others with a car I can't afford. I'd rather pay my car note and be happy with my purchase and enjoy the ride.

Acura features are without a doubt high in value per dollar. Again, most Acuras don't come with many options...everything is pretty much included and even options like navi are priced competitively.

Acura may not get the same snob appeal as a BMW or MB or Audi but it's perfect for a lot of us. And since when is snob appeal supposed to be the focal point of a car? Isn't that reserved for the truly elite exotics? I mean, how many black or silver 330s can you see without getting used to them? Or gold or white C classes?

Add to that the fact that an RL is completely and utterly undistinctive and has absolutely zero recognition in the market, its a wonder they sell any. Its only hallmark is an AWD system that no one actually cares about. So, you can fawn over the interior 'till the cows come home, but the exterior looks like a $25-30,000 car with a PepBoys Xenon kit.

Sticking with the Legend moniker would've been a far more intelligent decision, along with a V8 powerplant. Cadillac has shown a large FWD V8 car can be successful if tailored to a certain market correctly. Mock the DeVille all you want, but GM moved out over 100k a year for a half decade and not all of them were to fleets. Some people simply like that sort of car, the same people that liked the Park Avenue, Olds Aurora, Lincoln Continental, and - yes - the old Legend. A larger V8 Legend that looked expensive could've done much better than the current model.

As it stands, you can't help but to conclude Acura truly half-assed the RL. Yes, it executed the car very well, but the entire concept was flawed from a saleability standpoint. Its trying to handle well without having RWD, perform well while still having a six, and be commanding and luxurious with midsize dimensions and boring lines.

205195[/snapback]

great comprehensive summary. thx.

205324[/snapback]

beyond being well-built and comfortable, they are superb driver's cars, they have excellent design interior design presence/quality and that's only improving.

this new generation of Acuras will continue to build on thier success. I own an RSX-S, it's the best car I've ever driven and the quality, style, and build are always impressive.

205352[/snapback]

Those are the exact reasons I bought an 05 TSX navi......I had gotten promoted at work and I wanted my first new car to be one I loved and would love for the next few years.  I traded in my 02 RSX (which I bought used w/18k miles and was a perfect used car) for the 05 TSX and never looked back.  Sure I could've spent an extra 5-10k on a BMW 3 series or MB C class but I still have college loans to pay and I do want to buy a house soon. Oh and I'm going to have a kid.  Acura hit a market made for people like me....a few years out of college with a decent job/salary and who want to have nice looking, well built, fully featured cars that are steps above Civics without having to break the bank.  The TSX is the entry level and the TL takes it up another notch and is a strong competitor....the TL and MDX are top sellers among consumers who list BMW and MB as other choices.  Why? Because they offer more value for the money.  There's no way I could've outfitted a 330 with the features of my TSX for anywhere near the same price.  Sure I've got a 4 cyl instead of a 6 but considering the majority of my driving is commuting, I'm not missing the 6 too much.  The RL is lagging for the reasons others pointed out........TL is basically the same car minus the SHAWD and some extras for a lot less. 

Acura also has excellent service, warranties, roadside assistance.......I've always had good experiences at Acura and I'm a loyal customer.  My boyfriend is the one actually buying our next car so I don't have the final say but I hope he chooses the MDX or RDX as our family car.

It's a solid, well featured car that does drive well and is well priced.  Not everyone cares about snob appeal.  I'm not going to go bankrupt trying to impress others with a car I can't afford.  I'd rather pay my car note and be happy with my purchase and enjoy the ride.

Acura features are without a doubt high in value per dollar.  Again, most Acuras don't come with many options...everything is pretty much included and even options like navi are priced competitively.

Acura may not get the same snob appeal as a BMW or MB or Audi but it's perfect for a lot of us.  And since when is snob appeal supposed to be the focal point of a car?  Isn't that reserved for the truly elite exotics? I mean, how many black or silver 330s can you see without getting used to them? Or gold or white C classes?

205465[/snapback]

Agree, agree, agree. Thank (the nonexistant) God for more people with brains!

Agree, agree, agree. Thank (the nonexistant) God for more people with brains!

205770[/snapback]

That deserves a snap!

Wow this topic was a roller coaster. My opinion hasn't changed about the car, I still love everything inside and outside about the MDX. I think it features an awesome interior and a rather distinctive exterior(at least coming from the front).

As for Acura, I'll echo a few statements here and say that they are a definitely a great value and have good quality cars. If you really care about bragging rights over the logo on the keychain you're holding, you're better off heading over to the BMW or MB dealer.

Thanks for putting this quote in your sig Northie, or else I would've never saw it...

(hint: BMW interiors may feel like junk sub economy car interiors after sitting in some Acura's. Hope that doesn't destroy your fantasy)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wait...wait...

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm getting to it...

:lol::lol:

No...there is just no possible way I can give a serious response to that comment...

And just one more for good measure... :lol:

Man...if I didn't already have enough in my sig, I would put that quote in there myself.

Edited by Nick

BMW navi is nowhere on par w/Acura's

BMW audio is terrible. 

BMW interiors offer zero warmth.

I don't find BMW interiors appealing.  Besides a lack of reliablity it is their only real shortcoming.

206187[/snapback]

Acura's navi is awesome, it's one of the reasons I want our next car to be an Acura..the RDX comes with the real time traffic monitoring. My TSX doesn't come with it but I do have XM and I get 24/7 weather and traffic thru XM.

I love BMW also....X3/X5 are on our short list for a new car and I did like the interior. I haven't spent enough time in an X3/X5 to say I love the interior like I have with my TSX.

BMW audio is terrible. 

I don't find BMW interiors appealing.  Besides a lack of reliablity it is their only real shortcoming.

206187[/snapback]

I'm not arguing the navi...I don't have it and I don't care for navi anyway. BMW audio was never that great, though I have heard their newer high end systems and they sound pretty amazing. Doesn't matter to me though because I tend to always upgrade the audio in my cars anyway. I'd say warmth is a matter of opinion, I for one think they are very warm feeling cars on the inside. Atleast, I know my car is...Granted, the newer ones don't looks as warm as the generation my car came from, but sitting in them changed my opinion about that. I'd say any BMW interior is much nicer compared to the cramped and cluttered look of that acura, regardless of how nice the fit and finish is.

I'm not arguing the navi...I don't have it and I don't care for navi anyway. BMW audio was never that great, though I have heard their newer high end systems and they sound pretty amazing. Doesn't matter to me though because I tend to always upgrade the audio in my cars anyway. I'd say warmth is a matter of opinion, I for one think they are very warm feeling cars on the inside. Atleast, I know my car is...Granted, the newer ones don't looks as warm as the generation my car came from, but sitting in them changed my opinion about that. I'd say any BMW interior is much nicer compared to the cramped and cluttered look of that acura, regardless of how nice the fit and finish is.

206278[/snapback]

I AGREE.....! I much prefer any BMW interior to any Acura (or Lexus or Infiniti interior for that matter)

Why? I like the German feel and look. To me, the asians are VERY well exectued with top-notch materials and fit-and-finish....but to me, they LOOK asian....and I don't like that feeling or look as much as the "teutonic" germans.

• 2 weeks later...

The numer of buttons on the interior is insane and the boring charcoal/gray interior is really starting to grow tiresome to me. It's time for some color to be brought back into the interiors and some choice. Neither fish nor foll, this new Acura will hardly set the world on fire but it surely won't offend the modern yuppie crowd.

BMW audio is terrible. 

206187[/snapback]

And like most current Asian products, the current BMW's bland/odd exterior styling is terrible too!

The numer of buttons on the interior is insane and the boring charcoal/gray interior is really starting to grow tiresome to me. It's time for some color to be brought back into the interiors and some choice. Neither fish nor foll, this new Acura will hardly set the world on fire but it surely won't offend the modern yuppie crowd.

212571[/snapback]

It just so happens there is a choice of interiors.

(posted on page 1)

Posted Image