Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Crossover Concerns - GM Can't Decide

Crossover Concerns - Autoweek

DETROIT -- General Motors ad executives know how to advertise the three new crossover vehicles coming to market. They're just not sure yet what to call them.

A crossover is a unibody vehicle with more carlike handling than an SUV built on a body-on-frame truck platform. But it sits higher than a car and has cargo space and seating similar to a station wagon's or SUV's.

Some marketers describe crossovers as carlike SUVs, crossover utility vehicles, sport wagons or tall wagons. No one in marketing is sure what term will click with consumers.

I just know them as crossovers...

But I wonder. Maybe GM should give them a new term... something other than "crossover". Something so they aren't lumped in the "crossover" category, to show they are something new, and something fresh.

204301[/snapback]

I get what you're saying, but are they really all that different from a typical crossover?

I get what you're saying, but are they really all that different from a typical crossover?

204355[/snapback]

Not really, but who cares. If I was marketing for GM, I'd try to give it a new category, or something a little different, just so it doesn't get lumped in with vehicles like the Toyota Matrix, and the Ford Freestyle.

Not really, but who cares. If I was marketing for GM, I'd try to give it a new category, or something a little different, just so it doesn't get lumped in with vehicles like the Toyota Matrix, and the Ford Freestyle.

204436[/snapback]

All I know is they better not come out saying "We don't know what to call it" because that's a played out cliché.

:deadhorse:

They should just flat out call them what they are: Luxury Crossovers. That will lump them with the likes of the RX and the FX.

They should just refer to them as the "NEXT STEP IN THE SUV" or the "FUTURE OF THE SUV! Sell them as something ADVANCED something FUTUREISTIC the "NEW ADVANCEMENT OF THE ALL AMERICAN SUV!----It does not need a NAME REALLY!

204448[/snapback]

yes. best idea so far.

crossover to me sounds like a hetero deciding to switch teams, or vice versa. 'i am crossing over'.

how bout 'sport hatch'

Edited by regfootball

Guest buickman

Just say "Premium Crossover"

204485[/snapback]

The "Premium Crossover" could be shortened to "PC" and GM could build from the term by playing off the computer analogy and incorporating things like the high level of electronics included such as OnStar, DVD, IPod, XM, Navigation, etc...

In today's world, it seems people tinker more with computers than they do cars, so let's appeal to their lifestyle. We could even take it a step further and call them "Midsize Premium Crossover" and advertise "Get More MPG in your MPC".

Buickman

the voice...

Edited by buickman

except that they really aren't.  They are no more of a wagon than a minivan is.

205369[/snapback]

Why not? They are tall wagons...people movers. They are more wagons than they are SUVs...(aren't they available in FWD versions? (real SUVs aren't FWD).

Edited by moltar

Yeah, you are right, but the word wagon just reminds me of station wagons....and that sucks.

205477[/snapback]

Station wagons are cool, IMHO...I esp. like the old '60s-80s land yacht ones with the fake wood trim on the sides...

For modern wagons that I like, the Merc E63 AMG wagon is pretty much the coolest, though the Magnum SRT-8 is pretty cool (but less practical).

Edited by moltar

I think when most people hear "wagon" they envision something sedan-based. These clearly are not sedan-based. I could see the Pacifica being called a "tall wagon" but not these...they just look far too different for that.

The Lambda platform was originally conceived as minivan architecture, so I think these are really just fancy, stylish minivans, especially considering what they replace.

I think when most people hear "wagon" they envision something sedan-based.  These clearly are not sedan-based.  I could see the Pacifica being called a "tall wagon" but not these...they just look far too different for that.

The Lambda platform was originally conceived as minivan architecture, so I think these are really just fancy, stylish minivans, especially considering what they replace.

205522[/snapback]

they have a couple main differences from minivans

-hinged rear doors

-full dash and center console

those two features alone make a vastly different vehicle in funtion to many. Yet, this machine is 3 row and hauls 4 x8 plywood (another minivan hallmark).

in the final analysis, these vehicles become huge hits because they are closest an SUV has yet delivered in function vs. a minivan, but it sheds the dorky factor and latches on to the SUV's turned crossover phase. They still look tough, yet not so butch so they still look great in an urban setting. Wish I had the coin, I'd have an Acadia on order right now.