State (and Province) License Plates

As I drive around and see different state license plates, I think yay or nay. Some are really cool and some are misses.

My thoughts on a couple of them:

California - the cursive script is cool, but otherwise bland.

Washington - Mt. Rainier and the colors are soothing, but some people don't like it because not all of the state can see Mt. Rainier from where they are...and eastern WA is very different from the Seattle area where most of the population resides.

Arizona - not bad

Utah - TOO colorful

Nevada - washed out with its golden sky...Nevada, in my mind, used to have the BEST plate of all the states: it was called the Big Horn design.

The plate was essentially silver and in various shades of gray, it lightly depicted a desertscape with yucca trees and a bighorn sheep at one corner on a ridge. In navy blue Bonanza-type western letters, it said Nevada on top and Silver State on the bottom. But they got rid of it.

New York - the colors chosen are kind of washed out and too cluttered in its story across the top. I think I preferred the last one (red, white and blue) with the Statue of Liberty. In the 80s, they had the ominous orange with navy blue letters and it looked great on a black limousine.

Florida - I'm not so big on the oranges. I LOVED the one with the state outline, white/green/peach coloring and the name of the county of the bottom

Edited by trinacriabob

I don't know, I'd say this one kicks some serious ass.

Posted Image

Who doesn't love Oklahoma?

I really like a lot of the older plates better from states like California, Nebraska, New York, etc. I like the California one they had in the 80s with the sun and the California script over it. I also like the New York one with the Statue of Liberty...the new one isn't distinctive enough, IMO.

But for new plates, the West has a lot of good ones. Idaho, Utah, Montana, Arizona, and Wyoming, and Kansas all have some pretty neat ones.

Iowa's isn't too bad...I like how the silhouette of a city skyline is in the background.

Posted Image

Much better than this beast we had for 10 years

Posted Image

Iowa's isn't too bad...I like how the silhouette of a city skyline is in the background.

Posted Image

204751[/snapback]

Bingo. And Nevada's was much like that....a desertscape in the backgroud that was very muted, carrying familiar cues: the bighorn sheep, the rocks, the desert trees, etc. just like Iowa's has a silo. And Nevada's wall ALL silver which made it look distinctive.

I like some of the newer plates, but not the overly colored tacky ones.

Kentucky has about a million diffrent licence plates. Right now thier most popular have these little holographic lines on them. Well, at least thats what I mostly see.

and my favorite is nevada's

Posted Image

204787[/snapback]

No, sir. Since when does Nevada have a YELLOW sky...can you dig up the Big Horn design and post it? THAT ONE was beautiful. I think they still feature it as an extra-cost personalized option.

This one?

Posted Image

204848[/snapback]

YES!

That was the best plate ever for the Western style lettering (seen at the welcome signs at the state line), the color gradations, the theme and the overall balance, don't you agree? And what looks white is actually a very light shade of silver/gray.

Sure is better than the yellow sky one called "the Sunset Plate."

THANKS, Mustang.

Edited by trinacriabob

Guest YellowJacket894

Kentucky had some f@#king terrible plate designs three years ago.

Posted Image

God damn, they look like they were designed by a team of pre-schoolers watching the f@#king Teletubbies. :banghead:

It was sort of funny, though, because people would buy stickers of the face frowning or grinding it's teeth and stick them over the smiley face.

We chose the following deisgn to circumvent the above one on our Impala.

Posted Image

I like these vintage California plates, this one and the earlier black version. 

Posted Image

204878[/snapback]

I do like that one. I don't like the black that preceded it.

I still wish it would have sported "Golden State" underneath...but I don't think state nicknames and cute stuff were part of the picture when these plates were around.

Guest YellowJacket894

Horrible...both of them.

Hey, hey, hey. Don't rub it in. <_<:D

What does a tiger have to do with Kentucky?

It's actually supposed to a lynx or a wildcat. The main college sports team in KY is the UK Wildcats (football and basketball mostly; there's also the Louisville Cardinals but that's besides the point), so I guess they made it as a reference to them. We're not big fans of that team, though. (No one in our household is big sports nuts, anyway.) We just selected the design because it beat the &#036;h&#33; out of the main-dish design.

This is the new design, by the way. People hated the standard design so much, they changed it. It's a little bland, but so, so, so, so much better.

Posted Image

I hate our state slogan, though. It makes me think sometimes that the stigma this state mostly carries is actually justified.

Overall, though, Kentucky can't make a license plate design worth the steel it's stamped out of. <_<

Posted Image

I hate our state slogan, though.

204889[/snapback]

Much cleaner. I would have never made the association with Cardinals and Wildcats...both of those are duped at so many schools...Huskies are at both UW Seattle and U Conn. I don't think the slogan is that bad...it's actually decent.

Guest YellowJacket894

Eh, it sounds cheesy to me.

But I guess it's better than "It's That Friendly." God, that slogan was bad.

Edited by YellowJacket894

YES!

That was the best plate ever for the Western style lettering (seen at the welcome signs at the state line), the color gradations, the theme and the overall balance, don't you agree?  And what looks white is actually a very light shade of silver/gray.

Sure is better than the yellow sky one called "the Sunset Plate."

THANKS, Mustang.

204852[/snapback]

That silver gray one is hideous! when i lived in vegas the sky was pretty damn sunny and yellow! :)

I like these vintage California plates, this one and the earlier black version. 

Posted Image

204878[/snapback]

Those look way too much like PA's old plates...

Posted Image

--------

The vintage style:

Posted Image

I like the PA plates that came after with its shape stamped into them:

Posted Image

More...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The current ones arent bad... but they're bland:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think my Massachusetts House of Representatives green plate (1977-1988) is pretty nifty. It's brand new and has never been on a car. It's a shame I couldn't somehow get it registered on my '71 Coupe DeVille. I'd be able to double or triple park anywhere I wanted to. Maybe get drunk and bomb around town with a couple girls in the back seat, pretending I'm Ted Kennedy. The possibilities would be endless :lol:

I think Florida has the most specialty plate choices of any state, somewhere around 85. Here are few of the stupider ones...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

The reason why the DISCOVER FLORIDA'S OCEANS one is stupid is because we have one ocean, unless we moved the state recently.

I admit I have one, but mine's cool...

Posted Image

we have the same choose life tag in alabama. The basic alabama plate is a little dull, but there are several different ones you can get

205070[/snapback]

STARS FELL ON

1 2 3 A B C

ALABAMA

That's what I remember seeing when I was vacationing in Pensacola.

Edited by trinacriabob

So many plates are rather garish and gaudy. I tend to like them simple.

Here, years ago they used to completely change the plate every year. It was fun. You'd look forward to the new color. Now it's just sticker and some plates get so old and cracked that you can't read them. And some put those old plates on brandnew vehicles. huh?!!!...looks like crap.

Also here in Alberta they are required only on the rear of the car. Sure is nice seeing cars without them, especially fronts of exotic cars.

Here in Michigan the Blue Plate special is being replaced in the near future.

Also, the "Bridge" plate is replaced as of 1/1/07 with the new design in green.

Posted Image

Posted Image

205209[/snapback]

People get bent out of shape when the plates only show a segment of what the state is about. In the case of Michigan, the bridge at Mackinac (sp) which is so far removed from the population centers might bring on that reaction, though indeed a beautiful area.

I think that the new one has a little bit too much going on, or it could have been composed differently.

A lot of the new plate designs just aren't that good IMHO.

Edited by trinacriabob

I like the old white on green Colorado plates..the newer ones (green on white) aren't as appealing...white mountains and green sky?

I also like the old white on red Arizona plates, though the current ones are nice... I like the current California plates with the script, as were the Ski! Utah ones from a while back..

I also like the old white on red Arizona plates, though the current ones are nice... I like the current California plates with the script, as were the Ski! Utah ones from a while back..

205225[/snapback]

Arizona's are ok...it used to be that burgundy/white made AZ and MO look an awful lot alike.

The Ski Utah ones were simple...the Monument Rock ones are too much.

Centenial plate.

Posted Image

I don't even remember this one.

Posted Image

This is the plate they put on your car if your licence has been revoked but other family members still drive your car. Expect frequent police harassment if you have one of these.

Posted Image

Support out troops plate.

Posted Image

Critical habitat plate.

Posted Image

Other critical habitat plate.

Posted Image

Fire fighter plate.

Posted Image

Dealer plate.

Posted Image

Apportioned plate.

Posted Image

Vet plate.

Posted Image

Pioneer Plate.

Posted Image

Collector plate.

Posted Image

205300[/snapback]

I always notice the "Support Our Troups" and the newer "Critical Habitat" plates. They are by far my Minnesota Favorites.