Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

USA Today: Impala glimmers with competence

Guest Josh

NASHVILLE — The 2006 Chevrolet Impala is a solid alternative to Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, considered benchmarks among family sedans.

Styling is taut and almost resembles Accord's. Road personality is composed with a hint of sportiness. Comfort is high. Stupidity is low. An optional V-8 engine offers something the Japanese brands don't.

A rich complement of standard features — head-curtain air bags, a trip computer, an iPod/MP3 plug, three sets of child-seat latches, OnStar telecommunications and emergency notification service — give Impala advantages over even some higher-price competitors.

Thoughtful options — rear seats that flip and fold instead of just folding, remote engine start, XM Satellite Radio — suggest that Chevy understands what makes a car enduring and endearing.

Only a lack of a track record for reliability keeps the new Impala from claiming a place on the pantheon. Helping ease anxiety: It's built at the General Motors factory at Oshawa, Ontario, which has won awards for high-quality manufacturing.

Chevy has done the trick using some carried-over hardware, mainly a chassis similar to what's used in the previous Impala and the current Pontiac Grand Prix.

On sale since late July, the '06 Impala sedan, priced $22,000 to $32,000, is meant to bring Chevy more of the solid family buyers that make Chevrolet the best-selling brand in the country: 1,902,898 through August, vs. No. 2 Ford's 1,891,515, according to sales tracker Autodata. Toyota is No. 3 at 1,339,156.

The '06 Impala is exciting not in showiness or slam-bang performance, but in competence and as a vast improvement over its predecessor.

It gives open-minded buyers (those willing to bet that the bugs have been exorcised from a first-year model and who understand that Detroit cars outdo Japan models in some ways) a realistic alternative to foreign-brand autos that often command premium prices and come with fewer features and less power.

The base engine is a 3.5-liter pushrod V-6 with variable valve timing. That improves fuel economy, cuts emissions and boosts power, and until now has been used only on overhead-camshaft engines. It's rated 211 horsepower, a 31-hp jump from the previous Impala, and 21 miles per gallon in town, a commendable 31 on the highway.

Full Review: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/review...15-impala_x.htm

They're selling very well according to the last GM sales report. 14,500 of them were sold in August, and that's just the 06 model, not counting the 05 as well. They also weren't even on the lots for all of August, and my dealer only ever got an SS model during August, so they had limited supply too.

In this market, the Avalon is way too much money and their "base" car is not base at all. No, the Camry is shopped against the Impala here. I have to say I haven't really come up against the 500 yet. I've seen a few around but it appears that in the GTA the 500 isn't doing very well. The "imports" are very strong here. The IMpala is getting a lot of interest. The Toronto Star review a month ago really helped. I think the car will take off once more people see it around.

"Only a lack of a track record for reliability keeps the new Impala from claiming a place on the pantheon. Helping ease anxiety: It's built at the General Motors factory at Oshawa, Ontario, which has won awards for high-quality manufacturing." What lack of a track record? The Impala has always done well in regards to reliability. Even the dreaded Consumer Reports has recommended it for the last 4-5 years.

I also agree that I don't know why the constant comparisons of the Accord and Camry to the Impala. To me the Impala is much larger and a different type of car. The Accord and Camry to me are better compared to the G6 and the Malibu. I think those are the models people shop them against.

I have looked at quite a few 06 Impalas including base LS, LT, LT-2, LT-3, LTZ and SS. A few thought on what I liked and didn't like. The styling is more refined than before except in the rear where I find it rather bland. LT-2 models should come with lighted visor mirrors. Any base 00-05 model with 1SB package has lighted mirrors. The lower portion of the dash looks and feels cheesy and cheap. The lower end models with cloth interiors have colors that are way too light and will show dirt in the first few weeks of ownership. It's amusing that floorshifter models don't show what gear your in but a Cobalt does. It's also amazing that a Cobalt for 15K has a key hole in the decklid to open the trunk manually but a 31K Impala SS doesn't have this. Very annoying when your looking at these cars at the dealerships with batteries disables and you can't look at the trunk. Other quibbles include indifferent quality control on several cars I looked at including an LS with a poor fitting dash end cover where the fuses used to go and an SS with bodyside moldings that didn't line up quite right. Also how did GM manage to lose back legroom from the previous version and also drop it's once class leading 32 highway rating to 31? This new engine is supposed to be more efficient than the outgoing 1996 designed 3400. It still uses the same old 4T65 tranny and lazy 2.86:1 gears so the decease is weird. Before I get hyped up about this car some of those defficiencys will have to be rectified.

The lower end models with cloth interiors have colors that are way too light and will show dirt in the first few weeks of ownership. It's amusing that floorshifter models don't show what gear your in but a Cobalt does. It's also amazing that a Cobalt for 15K has a key hole in the decklid to open the trunk manually but a 31K Impala SS doesn't have this. Very annoying when your looking at these cars at the dealerships with batteries disables and you can't look at the trunk.

[post="15977"][/post]

1) Light interiors will show dirt regardless of who makes the car. Regular cleaning helps ameliorate this.

2) Impalas with a floorshifter have gear position indicators on the bottom portion of the speedometer bezel as show here...
Posted Image
...its digital and illuminated only when the ignition is on. Same as the last Impy and both the '00 and '06 Monte Carlo.

3) Agreed that a keyhole on the decklid would be nice, but not necessary with a good key fob with easy-to-replace batteries. And, there's always the interior release.

I have looked at quite a few 06 Impalas including base LS, LT, LT-2, LT-3, LTZ and SS. A few thought on what I liked and didn't like. The styling is more refined than before except in the rear where I find it rather bland. LT-2 models should come with lighted visor mirrors. Any base 00-05 model with 1SB package has lighted mirrors. The lower portion of the dash looks and feels cheesy and cheap. The lower end models with cloth interiors have colors that are way too light and will show dirt in the first few weeks of ownership. It's amusing that floorshifter models don't show what gear your in but a Cobalt does. It's also amazing that a Cobalt for 15K has a key hole in the decklid to open the trunk manually but a 31K Impala SS doesn't have this. Very annoying when your looking at these cars at the dealerships with batteries disables and you can't look at the trunk. Other quibbles include indifferent quality control on several cars I looked at including an LS with a poor fitting dash end cover where the fuses used to go and an SS with bodyside moldings that didn't line up quite right. Also how did GM manage to lose back legroom from the previous version and also drop it's once class leading 32 highway rating to 31? This new engine is supposed to be more efficient than the outgoing 1996 designed 3400. It still uses the same old 4T65 tranny and lazy 2.86:1 gears so the decease is weird. Before I get hyped up about this car some of those defficiencys will have to be rectified.

[post="15977"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

first off, I would likely buy an Impala before many other cars. I think they did a fairly decent job with it. What is annoying is a couple things you touched on, the cheap lower dash plastic and the reduction in back seat room. The loss ofback seat room is really lame and near unforgivable. The wheelbase is huge on this car, it needs about 3 more inches of rear leg space.

I certainly have other beefs about the car, but compared to the last batch of W cars until 2004, its a godsend. I think the SS lacks a sporting quality ride and handling, its a cruiser. The gauges are too small. Parts of the interior are still cheap looking. And, its pricey in higher trims. Maybe I could still be talked into getting one becuase of the big engine, good mpg, aux in jack and the excellent job they did putting the v8 under the engine bay. But the SS really lacks the ability to be a credible sports sedan as far as handling etc. goes and it could stand some ground effects and wheels arches to make it stand out from the regular Imp too. A 5 speed or 6 speed auto NOW would be nice too. Edited by regfootball

Ponchoman, you were able to uncover hopefully some early production
Impala's with iffy quality control. These are important finds, and show that
GM should pay much more attention to detail assembly. It's troubling to
hear about the indifferent quality control. Lets hope they get their act
together soon. In this highly competitive market it won't be tolerated.

Key holes are a weak spot targeted by thieves. How any years has it been since you used a key to unlock the trunk of a new car anyway? I don't think "allowing dealers to unplug the battery" is a good enough reason for a keyed trunk lock.

[post="15995"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually, since you bring up the fact that the trunk can't be opened without battery power...

I want to raise the issue that if someone's battery dies, they'll have difficulty accessing the trunk if they don't have a physical key. I know even dead batteries often have enough juice to move a trunk latch, but maybe you want to recharge the battery and the jumper cables are *smacks forehead* IN THE TRUNK!

...Ahh, I'm forgetting about the fold-down rear seats. Heh... Still something to think about.

I also agree that I don't know why the constant comparisons of the Accord and Camry to the Impala.

To me the Impala is much larger and a different type of car.  The Accord and Camry to me are better compared to the G6 and the Malibu.  I think those are the models people shop them against.

[post="15875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, the Impala is about the same size as far as interior space with the Accord and Camry...it just has a lot of body overhang that makes it longer...and it's in the same price range...so it's competitive with them... as are the G6 and Malibu at the smaller end..

Chevy's strategy isn't that different than Ford's...Ford has both the Fusion and Five Hundred to compete against the big 3 (Camry/Altima/Accord), and the Five Hundred can also go against the Avalon.. Edited by moltar

The Chevrolet has a bigger trunk than everyone except the exceptionally roomy Ford products.  This could explain the greater length.

[post="16114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, and the long front overhang...GM's larger FWD models always seem to have a lot of front overhang....

1) Light interiors will show dirt regardless of who makes the car. Regular cleaning helps ameliorate this.

2) Impalas with a floorshifter have gear position indicators on the bottom portion of the speedometer bezel as show here...
Posted Image
...its digital and illuminated only when the ignition is on. Same as the last Impy and both the '00 and '06 Monte Carlo.

3) Agreed that a keyhole on the decklid would be nice, but not necessary with a good key fob with easy-to-replace batteries. And,  there's always the interior release.

[post="15979"][/post]

The cloth interior cars I looked at were already showing signs of being dirty from people getting in and out of the driver's seat, especially the super light tan. I never noticed this with any of my older cars which had much darker colors that hide normal day to day wear.

Yes obviously they have gear position indicators up above or you wouldn't know what gear you were in at all. Most every other car made except for Chevys new cost cutting full sizers have gear position indicators in both places, even a cheap Cobalt. I said it didn't show what gear you were in on the floor shifter part which makes it look cheap.

My 00 Impala and my buddies 01 Impala LS both had major troubles with the keyless entry systems. One day they would work and the next nothing. It's a good thing they had inside release buttons and key holes in the trunk to unlock it. Batteries do go dead in these newer cars on occasion. I see cores sitting outside of local oil and tire change shops all the time. I would hate to be the person with one of these new cost cutter cars with no way to open my trunk if the battery crapped out.

These are all things that car companies are doing to cut the cost of making a car. Glove box lights are gone. Cigarette lighters are history. No underhood lights. No keyhole in the passenger door if the driver's side ever failed and you didn't have your keyless fob you would be calling AAA just to get in your vehicle. Bodyside moldings are dissapearing off some really expensive makes and it shows the momment these cars are let loose in a mall or store parking lot with dings everywhere. These are all minor annoyances that you may not notice or care about. That is until one day one of these deleted conveniences would come in very handy for that ride you are paying huge monthly payments on!

Having seen a few Impalas up close I agree with the consensus that this should be a very competitive car. The interior is attractive, with the exception of the cheap-feeling lower dash plastic - an easily remedied fix, just by using the soft-feel dash material from the Grand Prix and LaCrosse.

I looked over an Impala SS this weekend. It was OK. The styling is bland beyond belief. The Impala is so completely dull to look at, it makes the Camry look sporty. That alone would turn me off from buying the car. The interior was nice enough. Everything had a high quality feel to it and it all looked very well put together. The stlying of the interior was mearly OK. It's very conventional. This is another example of GM saying, "this is good enough". It's better looking inside than the Camry, but I think the Accord and newer Altima look better and offer more features inside. The seats were not supportive enough for an "SS". The back seats was disappointly short on leg room considering how long this car it. The floor mounted parking brake is a turn off, but common in bigger cars like this. The stereo had a constant low hiss on XM and FM when turned on which was very disappointing. This would not be noticeable when the car was running, but still sounded bad. I'd get a GP GXP before this one, but then again, there are many other cars I would buy before either the Impala or GP for these prices. This particular one had an MSRP of $32 with leather and a moon roof. I would say it should be priced about $4K less. This car competes just OK with the competition (Accord, Camry, Altima, Maxima) today which are all several years old. I don't hold any hope that it will look competitive in a couple of years when the marketplace moves on. Mark

"Only a lack of a track record for reliability keeps the new Impala from claiming a place on the pantheon. Helping ease anxiety: It's built at the General Motors factory at Oshawa, Ontario, which has won awards for high-quality manufacturing."

What lack of a track record? The Impala has always done well in regards to reliability. Even the dreaded Consumer Reports has recommended it for the last
4-5 years.

[post="15854"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

He means it's a new model....

You know, the automatic double standard where new imports are ASSUMED to be high quality by Consumer Reports, yet new domestics must prove themselves.

It's bullsh*t but it's true, and they actually have the ass to claim to be "unbiased"

I have a feeling that by the time the new Malibu arrives, this Impala will become irrelevant. The Impala needs to move up into the full-size category.

[post="16215"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It IS in the full-size category. But growing in size, I agree totally. Same goes for the Malibu and Cobalt.

It's amusing that floorshifter models don't show what gear your in but a Cobalt does.

If you're used to your car enough you don't really need it. I don't use mine on my Cavalier.

It's just like who needs the markings on the shifter knob in a manual? You KNOW where is the gear.

You know, the automatic double standard where new imports are ASSUMED to be high quality by Consumer Reports, yet new domestics must prove themselves.

It's bullsh*t but it's true, and they actually have the ass to claim to be "unbiased"

[post="16715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Your right, they are A**holes.

There is a helluva lot of nitpicking going on here, boys and girls. FIRST OF ALL - Cardinal rule #1: Thou shalt judge a vehicle by the standards of the class that it is in, not the class of vehicle YOU would buy. Chevrolet is a CONSERVATIVE car company. Corvette aside (and most of us realize that the Corvette really has no business being a Chevrolet - that may be sacrilege, but true!), you are not going to see many trailblazing vehicles in this company. Remember, if you want to sell 500k units, you have to be all things to all people, not by being cutting edge. Pontiac should be more cutting edge, but let's leave that for another thread. USA1, I suspect you would have bitched that the original Riviera or Avanti was bland, too. This car blows away the Camry - and I sell those, too. If you look at the classic IMpalas of the '60s, they weren't cutting edge. They were just clean, well-priced and appealed to a helluva lot of people. The Impala isn't supposed to stand out. The G-6 should stand out. The Solstice should stand out. The Impala should just look good in a crowd and I believe it does. Just last night I had a husband and wife (and he was about 5 years younger than God) stagger out of their '96 Olds 88. After they stopped complaining about the demise of Oldsmobile, they had a full page ad from the Toronto Star in their hand of the Impala. The Star, which hates everything GM, recently did a gushing article on the Impala - they even said it was better than the Accord or Camry. If they say that, believe me, it must be true because they hate us. These people were here to see the Impala. He loved it. She clearly doesn't want to part with her Oldsmobile. I doubt a 25 year old couple is going to buy an Impala. As gorgeous as the SS is, it will still mostly appeal to people of my generation who grew up on bigger cars. If GM was smart, the Optra would be better aligned to the younger crowd.

I agree somewhat.

Chevrolet SHOULD be all things to all people. But, that doesn't mean the styling has to be bland. Sure, the Impala is nice but it could be more exciting andI'm sure that would build sales too, since we live in such a consumer and style driven society.

The classic Chevies like the 50's cars, or the 70's cars weren't bland. Hell, even the 60's cars weren't bland. Just more mainstream.

I agree, the Impala is much better than the current Camry. BUT, the Camry is being redesigned next year, how well will it fare then?

The battle for Mr and Mrs Middle America isn't going to be won with styling and tricks. It will be won with value and quality. Although we may look upon these maintstream people as Sheeple (a term I happen to love), the fact is they are influenced by CR and Consumers Guide. Most of us on ths Board know that CR is a pile of sh*t; however, they exist and GM as a company needs to learn to maneuver around them. Both the Malibu and IMpala have won many awards, notably at JD Powers. Chevrolet is heading in the right direction. Personally, I would have loved to have seen the Impala "way out there;" however, there is a reason the Ford 500, Impala and Accord, etc. are all going in the same direction. Nobody wants to take a big risk. Ford bet the company in 1984 when they went ahead with the (then) new Taurus. I don't think any of the existing Boards have the guts to do that now. Part of the trouble is that the media doesn't like to drive this type of car - they all prefer to drive a 750i, and anything that isn't available with a manual shift is bad, right? This is the challenge: to sidestep the media and get the message out that this is a decent, reliable car that is far better priced than the vaunted Camry. The main pothole Chevrolet has to avoid at this juncture is to not let the Impala rot for the next 6 model years like it did the last generation - that will be a killer for this company.

FIRST OF ALL - Cardinal rule #1: Thou shalt judge a vehicle by the standards of the class that it is in, not the class of vehicle YOU would buy.

Quoted for emphasis. I think a lot of people on here forget to consider the class when thier expectations for the end-all be-all vehicle are dashed. Personally, design sells, good design sells, and the Impala is too conservative and not innovative enough to be considered ground-breaking or good design.

The battle for Mr and Mrs Middle America isn't going to be won with styling and tricks.  It will be won with value and quality.

[post="17287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

However, you are wrong, and in a sense right here. Everybody likes to look good- and about the same amount of people like to feel good. Styling and good design will convert a lot of Toyota-nuts--don't underestimate it. Quality and value HAVE to be there. GM has been making those kinds of cars for years now, even going back to the original Oldsmobile Aurora, though lacking in many respects, was a very good value for its class. That car had style, and that was the reason you still see quite a few of them around (well maybe not in Cali). The current Malibu is a good quality car, it's still lacking, but overall is a solid value. It's sales are not exactly setting the world on fire, or at least not surpassing the Camry.

The battle for Mr and Mrs Middle America isn't going to be won with styling and tricks.  It will be won with value and quality.  Although we may look upon these maintstream people as Sheeple (a term I happen to love), the fact is they are influenced by CR and Consumers Guide.  Most of us on ths Board know that CR is a pile of sh*t; however, they exist and GM as a company needs to learn to maneuver around them. 
  Both the Malibu and IMpala have won many awards, notably at JD Powers.  Chevrolet is heading in the right direction. 
  Personally, I would have loved to have seen the Impala "way out there;" however, there is a reason the Ford 500, Impala and Accord, etc. are all going in the same direction.  Nobody wants to take a big risk.  Ford bet the company in 1984 when they went ahead with the (then) new Taurus.  I don't think any of the existing Boards have the guts to do that now.
  Part of the trouble is that the media doesn't like to drive this type of car - they all prefer to drive a 750i, and anything that isn't available with a manual shift is bad, right?  This is the challenge:  to sidestep the media and get the message out that this is a decent, reliable car that is far better priced than the vaunted Camry.
  The main pothole Chevrolet has to avoid at this juncture is to not let the Impala rot for the next 6 model years like it did the last generation - that will be a killer for this company.

[post="17287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

great post.

[post="16715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

THANK YOU for saying that! I've thought that for years and cancelled my subscription some time ago for that very reason.

Now, back on topic. I am a very big fan of the Impala SS (94-96 models). And other like fans continue to rag on the new SS because it's "not a real SS". Well one could argue that but I think this is the same point brought up above. Comparing the 94/6 SS to the 06 SS is apples to oranges.

The current Impala (LS, SS, whatever) targets the Camry/Accord buyer. A great target, in my opinion and I think GM (as long as they can keep the quality up) has got them square in their sights.

I had oportunity to watch an 06 SS in action in July at the Impala Nationals. I sat in it as well. Would I buy one? No. But I won't buy an Accord/Camry/500 either, the cars simply aren't my style. I do think that the car was very well built and (although a bit bland) styled directly towards the aforementioned competitors.

Should GM take some Taurus-like risks? Yes. Will they? Lets see what happens, probably not.
Mike

I have a feeling that by the time the new Malibu arrives, this Impala will become irrelevant. The Impala needs to move up into the full-size category.

[post="16215"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is one unnerving thing about all the great news over the next Malibu. I may negate the need for a large midsize car. If there is to be an Impala it better be on Chi & it better be a good true full-size car. A Malibu flagship isn't so bad if you consider how well Honda does with the Accord as its car flagship. I don't think Chevy should do it but, it can happen.So, pray GM doesn't get Honda-ish with Chevy's cars.
This Impala is good enough for now. I'll buy one. The SS V-8 is impressive with 20/28MPG. I also don't think that the Impala competes realistically with the Camcord. The Camcord is much smaller and altogether different.

• 3 weeks later...
I've looked at a couple new Impalas on dealer lots, and sat in an SS in the showroom. I would be very interested in buying one of these. I was originally unimpressed with the new Impalas, but after seeing them in person I love it. Actually the first post-Oldsmobile car I can see myself in without compromise. My only gripes are the light colored interiors as has already been mentioned (bring back the blue, please) and that foglights aren't available with the 3500 engine. Interesting, I noticed the floorshifter not having any indicators on the SS I sat in. My g/f's Alero has indicators on the console, but they don't light up at night forcing you to the dash indicators anyway, which is natural for me since I'm used to having a column shifter. The only thing stopping me from buying one is the price. An LT1 with only sunroof and flip/fold rear seat as options would cost me about $3000 more than a LT 1SB with leather, sunroof and trip computer would have cost me last year with all the rebates + GMS.

Even though the SS is just a mushy cruiser, I still wouldn't mind one due to the sweet small block under the hood. The whole thing falls apart though when I look at the price tag, which is too far beyond my means. Other than that, I could do just fine with the average interior and small back seat. I think the styling of the SS is nice in black and looks good. Its not so flashy that cops will seek you out to give you tickets. Edited by regfootball