I... I Want a Dell!

Cory Wolfe

The other advantage of building a computer is that all the parts are standard fit, and so are cheaper and easier to upgrade or replace than factory built computers like Dells, since they use specialized parts that make them a bitch to upgrade.

205398[/snapback]

I've always built my machines. Its a great way to get more for less. tigerdirect.com is a great starting point.

but the next one is an iMac or MacMini. No more windows bull.

windows won't run decently on less than 1GB or ram. 512 isn't even enough.

Edited by regfootball

And again, if its not worth $500, find me a better laptop for $500, not a penny more. If no one can do that, then you're not helping me any bit. You guys keep telling me how bad of deal it is and how not to get it. Well.. prove it with a better laptop for $500 or less. It's all Im asking.

205733[/snapback]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1153336509992

Mobile AMD Sempron™ processor 3100+* with HyperTransport™ Technology and up to 1600MHz frontside bus

512MB PC2700 DDR memory for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive

15" XGA TFT-LCD display with Ultrabright technology and 1024 x 768 resolution

40GB Parallel ATA hard drive (4200 rpm)

-RBB

Mobile AMD Sempron™ processor 3100+* with HyperTransport™ Technology and up to 1600MHz frontside bus

-RBB

205844[/snapback]

there ya go, the AMD Semprons are good.

Free Compact Computer Desk

Posted Image

Then my suggestion is get that laptop you want, but pledge not to bitch one iota about it on these forums if its slower than you thought/wanted it to be and unupgradable.

205841[/snapback]

Hmm... well, atleast with that desk, it'll be off the floor while in my closest... :P

But jeesh, dont take me explaining my situation so hard. As I've said, Im working with what I can. I cant help it I have no desk nor room for a desk in my room to possibly put a desktop on. And if you've read my original post, I'm more than greatful just to get a new computer of my own. 8 years, I've had to deal with this POS and 8 years I've had to use a shared computer. To finally be getting my own computer... is awesome. For all the more I use a computer for, the rest doesnt matter as much. So Im not complaining... yet you are.

-RBB

205844[/snapback]

Thank you. See guys, was that so hard?

Thank you. See guys, was that so hard?

205853[/snapback]

How 'bout next time simply saying, "Can anyone find me a good laptop for under $500?"

For all the smartassness, I hope you see that we're only trying to help educate you so you don't end up like a million others who get the Sunday Special that falls out of the coupon section in your weekend paper and later end up regretting it.

I still stand by my recommendation of an upgrade-friendly desktop for someone in your situation that is likely not going to be upgrading entire systems every two years with the latest and greatest. Getting a good tower and filling it with affordable yet adequate componants is a great way to get started and a single upgrade - be it graphics card, media player, processor, etc. - is almost always under $150 at a time as opposed to whatever an entirely new system costs. Plus, it allows you to pick up random excellent deals - like my girlfriend who bought a 300gb Maxtor hard drive for $30 after rebates - and spread the upgrading cost out over time.

Again, an educated consumer is wiser in all aspects. If you still want a laptop, well, there's clearly a better choice for you money. But consider everything first. You'll end up alot happier with any purchase you make that way.

How 'bout next time simply saying, "Can anyone find me a good laptop for under $500?"

For all the smartassness, I hope you see that we're only trying to help educate you so you don't end up like a million others who get the Sunday Special that falls out of the coupon section in your weekend paper and later end up regretting it.

I still stand by my recommendation of an upgrade-friendly desktop for someone in your situation that is likely not going to be upgrading entire systems every two years with the latest and greatest. Getting a good tower and filling it with affordable yet adequate componants is a great way to get started and a single upgrade - be it graphics card, media player, processor, etc. - is almost always under $150 at a time as opposed to whatever an entirely new system costs. Plus, it allows you to pick up random excellent deals - like my girlfriend who bought a 300gb Maxtor hard drive for $30 after rebates - and spread the upgrading cost out over time.

Again, an educated consumer is wiser in all aspects. If you still want a laptop, well, there's clearly a better choice for you money. But consider everything first. You'll end up alot happier with any purchase you make that way.

205854[/snapback]

I'm not trying to be an ass. I said a while ago, that the way someone could actually help other than going off about how baaaaad that Dell is once again, would be to find me a better laptop for $500. I said it nicely. I even thanked you guys for the help, even though it didnt really help. I wouldnt be such an ass now if you hadn't virtually ignored all of that and continued to berate my situation and tell me how bad that Dell is. Please, try to tell me otherwise. If I'm an ass...

I've always built my machines.  Its a great way to get more for less.  tigerdirect.com is a great starting point.

but the next one is an iMac or MacMini.  No more windows bull.

windows won't run decently on less than 1GB or ram.  512 isn't even enough.

205842[/snapback]

I prefer newegg.com Great prices, great selection, and awesome shipping. What sorta processor/gfx card is your current computer running on? Mine ran on 512 megs for a while and XP ran just fine. Of course upgrading to gig makes a huge difference....but still.

-RBB

205844[/snapback]

Not bad at all, far better than the crappy Dell.

205854[/snapback]

Exactly right Fly, it's very important to be educated about these sorta things, and not just ask expect someoen to find a better deal for you. It's great to be able to shop yourself and know what's good and what's not. I also agree that a desktop is still a better option. It's exactly what I did with this. It's my first non-hand-me-down computer, which me and a friend built on the cheap. However beacuse it's a desktop, and one that was built, upgrading it has been a snap, and not difficult or overly expensive either. It's a better choice than a laptop, but if he absolutely need it, at least the one RBB listed is way better than that POS Dell.

--

BV what sort of games does your bro play on his comp?

Redneck Rampage

205899[/snapback]

:lol:

BV, just a word of advice. The biggest factor in a comp's overall performance is the RAM. I will tell you this: 128 to 156 isn't a big performance booster...I know this from experience. 128 to 512 and 512 to a gig is huge...and 128 to a gig is godly. Slap more ram into any comp and it'll make a huge difference.

For gfx such as video games, flash animations, and videos, a good graphics card is essential.

The processor is important, but for basic uses like surfing the net, and general application running, especially when multi-tasking, RAM is key. Ram is the amount a virtual memory the computer has to work with. The more Ram (and the higher performance) you have, the more you can do and the faster it can be done with (ie: less lag).

It i also good to know what sort of RAM you are looking at. Most RAM today is DDR, which replaced the slower SD RAM, and DDR 2 is a step above them both.

I dunno if you know this already or not, but it doesn't hurt to let ya know ^_^

Edited by Dodgefan