Learn About Mazda! Yay!

Cory Wolfe

Mazda was so stupid to have fifteen different brands for all their cars. Seriously. Its so convoluted it doesn't even make sense.

Don't care for the dorky wing on the whatever in the first set of pictures

205774[/snapback]

Heh, yeah, Mazda went brand crazy. There was Efini, Eunos, Autozam, and obviously Mazda. Xedos never became a brand, the two vehicles that shared that name were still under Mazda. Obviously it was supposed to be a brand, like Amati, which was shelved entirely.

As for the wing, neither do I, but it was the best rear 3/4 view I could find. But yeah, if it were imported here, along side the Millenia, I think I would have bought it instead. Its more my size and style. It's sexier, too... almost has an Alfa Romeo like look to it. The only place it lacks versus the Millenia is its interior. I love these cars.

Posted Image

205775[/snapback]

That... makes no sense in the thread what so ever. :huh:

That interior is almost concept-like.

205776[/snapback]

That it is. Later versions got a more traditional steering wheel, as well as available lower rent audio/climate controls. What you see had a touch screen that controlled many of the functions, ala BMW's later iDrive system minus the controller.

This is the first I've heard about all these other Mazda divisions. Anybody have any info?

205778[/snapback]

Well, Wikipedia offers pretty basic info, although, not without mistakes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda#Marques

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efini

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xedos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autozam

Meh, ok for what they are I guess.

That coupe could have looked really good with a bit more design time. The interior seems really claustrophobic for a car that size - odd.

205793[/snapback]

I dont think they're all that big. Looks slightly bigger than a Nissan 240SX.

* Wheelbase: 2750 mm

* Front Track: 1520 mm

* Rear Track: 1510 mm

* Length: 4815 mm

* Width: 1795 mm

* Weight: 1570 kg

I don't feel like converting all that, but there are the dimensions.

You missed the hardtop sedan version of the 323F...

205821[/snapback]

Well, I guess its not one of my favorites, then. :P

Fixed

205833[/snapback]

"This 4th generation JC Cosmo was way ahead of its time electronically as well (1990) by being the first production car with Car Control System, a CRT colour touch-screen controlling climate control, mobile phone, GPS car navigation, NTSC TV, radio and CD-Player."

I think this system is a bit more advanced.

"The 1989 Troféo could be ordered with the Visual Information Center - a dash mounted touch-screen CRT that controlled the vehicle's thermostat and radio, and also supplied advanced instrumentation such as a trip computer. The VIC could also serve as the interface to an in-car hands-free cell phone."

"This 4th generation JC Cosmo was way ahead of its time electronically as well (1990) by being the first production car with Car Control System, a CRT colour touch-screen controlling climate control, mobile phone, GPS car navigation, NTSC TV, radio and CD-Player."

I think this system is a bit more advanced.

"The 1989 Troféo could be ordered with the Visual Information Center - a dash mounted touch-screen CRT that controlled the vehicle's thermostat and radio, and also supplied advanced instrumentation such as a trip computer. The VIC could also serve as the interface to an in-car hands-free cell phone."

205835[/snapback]

You were likening it to iDrive, which makes less sense than saying it builds upon the groundwork laid by GM's VICs.

As far as advancement, I'd debate you with the fact that very, very late-model Toronados had VICs with optional inertial navigation systems. Also, by your own quotations, the only 'advancement' is NTSC TV reception, something no regular passenger US car ever really had.

You were likening it to iDrive, which makes less sense than saying it builds upon the groundwork laid by GM's VICs.

As far as advancement, I'd debate you with the fact that very, very late-model Toronados had VICs with optional inertial navigation systems. Also, by your own quotations, the only 'advancement' is NTSC TV reception, something no regular passenger US car ever really had.

205837[/snapback]

Well, BMW's iDrive was the first to come to mind.

I'm not debating you, just saying it was a bit more advanced. Which it was, feature vs feature. The GM system debuting in 89, the Mazda system in 90. You, being a predominate GM fan, could it say built upon GM's system, but that's only a year. It takes alot longer than that for technology so advanced for the time. The Mazda system was more than likely in development long before any knowledge of GM's similar system.

Edited by blackviper8891

The conceptualization of VIC dates back to at least the mid-80s in concepts like the Buick Questor. I'm not saying the Japanese copied GM; I'm just recognizing the fact that GM was first to the market with a usable visual and tactile interface in a car and spread it out among several models that weren't just expensive flagships, a fact that many tend to ignore, especially with statements like "Detroit is catching up to Japanese technological innovation" or "BMW deserves kudos for being the first to bring HUD to the masses [by making it an add-cost option in the overpriced trim of the 5-Series]."

Well, BMW's iDrive was the first to come to mind.

I'm not debating you, just saying it was a bit more advanced. Which it was, feature vs feature. The GM system debuting in 89, the Mazda system in 90. You, being a predominate GM fan, could it say built upon GM's system, but that's only a year. It takes alot longer than that for technology so advanced for the time. The Mazda system was more than likely in development long before any knowledge of GM's similar system.

205843[/snapback]

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

-RBB

Wowee! I get to learn about Mazda!...

I'd rather learn about these...

:thumbsup:  ^_^

205893[/snapback]

Well... The whole point of this thread was to teach about Mazda's you more than likely didn't know about that I love. If you can tell me that any of the cars you posted you had no idea about and you just found random pictures of unkown (to you) cars... Yeah. Dumbass. :P

No Mazda will ever live to the ripe old age of those classics, let alone be loved to the degree of any of them. :AH-HA_wink:

205943[/snapback]

*slap*

Re:  WMJ's pictures.  Did Viper's car turn colors for fall? :huh:

205957[/snapback]

The problem is... It should have turned an actual color. Not tan. Like red or purple or orange... :nono:

Well it depends. If he means MY, then he is correct. There is no 2000 Aurora. If he means CY, then you're correct.

205962[/snapback]

Well, it doesnt matter. I made a typo. It was supposed to 93 for the Xedos 6 and I was going to mean MY. But changing the Aurora to 00 with the Xedos 6 at 92 would fit as CY for both. I almost said that after posted, than saw my typo... :P

Still waiting for pics of the "excellent" ones. :AH-HA_wink:

The first one looks a bit like a melted 626. The Cosmo reminds me a lot of a certain Silvia. I do like some Cosmos, not sure which model year. Do they still make those for JDM?

man there is some heavy Mazda hate here, yet they are building some of the most affordable yet exciting cars on the road without sacrificing quality.

Mazda has better execution than any GM car on most or all of thier cars.

I love the first millenia-like car you posted, i bet that's just Euro's version of our millenia which appropriately for that time from Mazda stunk. However, that curvy nose and rear end are very attractive.

I love the first millenia-like car you posted, i bet that's just Euro's version of our millenia which appropriately for that time from Mazda stunk. However, that curvy nose and rear end are very attractive.

206176[/snapback]

Nope. The Euro version of the Millenia is the Xedos 9, that is the Xedos 6, which was positioned below the Millenia. Came out in Europe as a 93, while the Millenia came as a 94. The Millenia rode on its own unique platform, while the 6 shared its platform with the 626.

Now... what do you mean by "...our Millenia which appropriately for that time from Mazda stunk?" Huh? :P

We had a friend into Mazda rotories. He was older than us and one of the first computer geeks, worked for Burrows or Buroughs ? (what do I know) He had a ? RX 4 wagon in the mid 70's, we loved that thing and he put the beatings to it too. When the RX 7 was comming out he ordered it, had the first one in the Albany area, what a ride I got in that thing. It was amazing in that day and age, Im sure the 280 Z was as well but this Mazda was a "Rotory". What did they spin at ? Wasnt it like 10-12,000 RPM ?

His last car purchase that I know of was a WRX about 5 years ago.

My first truck was a Mazda, my first loan in fact, I loved that truck. Also sold as Ford Courier, but mine was an actual Mazda, '75 maybe. I loved those old origional Japanese trucks, so minimalistic, so hardy, reliable and economical.

My old car scratchin girlfriends father was into Datsuns but when the first 626 came out he jumped right on one. It was one of the "latest things" in that day and age. That one went to his son, I think it lasted well but I was out of the picture by then. I found it interesting that his last two car purchases were late 90's Buick Skylarks. Back in the 80's he would have nothing to do with anything that wasnt built in Japan. he always said "boy, those Japs are smart!"

Old school Italian raised in "The Bronx" An elevator Union man. Great guy, always glad to see me "What the f@#k do you want ?" It was the "mother" that was the problem........... :lol:

A buddy of mine picked up a used RX4 wagon years ago. It lasted exactly 1.5 days before the engine blew. He had perhaps a bit too much fun making the redline buzzer (!) go off. Don't recall it's actual redline #s.

The redline runs we did in his numerous Pontiacs never seemed to end that way for some reason...

A buddy of mine picked up a used RX4 wagon years ago. It lasted exactly 1.5 days before the engine blew. He had perhaps a bit too much fun making the redline buzzer (!) go off. Don't recall it's actual redline #s.

The redline runs we did in his numerous Pontiacs never seemed to end that way for some reason...

206413[/snapback]

Well at least it didnt throw a rod............. :lol:

Bring me a Pontiac, I'll send a rod, anything made by man can be broke by man, you should know that as well as anyone. No one ever said Rotarys were a rock solid design. Damn impressive numbers per displacement though. If the RX7's werent so plain wedgy Jap style Id love to have one just for the different engine experience. RX8 has some freeky styling going on and make them undesireable to me too.