Edmunds Evaluation: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si

Variance

Edmunds Evaluation: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si

Posted Image

With BMW's sport-utility sales slipping recently, some might criticize BMW for letting the X3 languish too long before implementing all the enhancements. If the original X3 were as good as this one is, it might've avoided some of the early dissatisfaction and enjoyed even more success than it has. If you're in the market for a small and sporty sport-ute, put the 2007 BMW X3 back on your list.

Read "More of a good thing" @ Edmunds

Off the top of my head, in favor of the X3 interior...

- Nicer wood texture

- Nicer steering wheel design

- A manual transmission

- Nicer leather texture

- A pop-up nav screen

And that's without sitting in it. Though, in favor of the Impala...

- Nicer stero / HVAC controls

Guys, I need your help....

How is this....

Posted Image

so much more special than this.....

Posted Image

seriously....

206280[/snapback]

The X3 feels well-made... like a quality product. The Impala doesn't.

But since when did C&Gers start comparing $40K BMWs to $20K Chevys? The SRX would be a fairer match.

Off the top of my head, in favor of the X3 interior...

- Nicer wood texture

- Nicer steering wheel design

- A manual transmission

- Nicer leather texture

- A pop-up nav screen

And that's without sitting in it.  Though, in favor of the Impala...

- Nicer stero / HVAC controls

206299[/snapback]

Nicer wood texture? It's glossy smooth!

Nicer steering wheel design? It must be that 3-spoke thing that everyone harps on. I like neither of them actually

Manual transmission isn't an interior feature

Nicer leather texture? you can tell that from photographs?

Pop-up nav screen... ok you've got me there since the Impala doesn't come with Nav.

But still, I was talking about design more than features.

The X3 feels well-made... like a quality product. The Impala doesn't.

But since when did C&Gers start comparing $40K BMWs to $20K Chevys? The SRX would be a fairer match.

206304[/snapback]

I'm sure you're only refering to the minutia.

My point is, design wise, there isn't a $20k swing here...

Whatever happened to cars, America? This thing is still uglier than a 3er wagon; nothing is going to help that. And the interior blows.

206269[/snapback]

people have decided SUV's and crossovers are more of what they want these days. Sedans and coupes are headed for the relic bin, unfortunately.

the x3 interior is nicer because it has seats you sit in, not floppy seats like the impalas you sit on.

the x3's dash angles towards the driver.

the (NEW) x3 has better plastics. the old x3 had terrible plastic.

Edited by regfootball

Nicer wood texture?  It's glossy smooth!

Nicer steering wheel design? It must be that 3-spoke thing that everyone harps on.  I like neither of them actually

Pop-up nav screen... ok you've got me there since the Impala doesn't come with Nav.

206323[/snapback]

Wood texture is glossy smooth on both. And I'm not even considering whether or not it's faux wood, which it probably is in the Impala. Anyway, the wood in the X3 matches the interior better than the wood in the Impala, IMO.

The wheel design isn't so much about the number of spokes, just that the Impala's wheel seems very, very plain and ordinary to me. The X3 wheel stands out.

You got me on the MT. I just thought I'd point out that it's there, and available.

In the photos you posted, you can see the stitching and gentle rippling in the BMW seats. The Impala just has flat, no frills leather.

In summary, these are the differences you'd expect between a family sedan and a luxury vehicle. I am not bashing the Impala for bashing's sake. It has a pleasant interior overall. Just... boring.

But on another note, I hate the look of the radio in the X3.

...When the hell did I become an interior snob!? :blink:

Wood texture is glossy smooth on both.  And I'm not even considering whether or not it's faux wood, which it probably is in the Impala.  Anyway, the wood in the X3 matches the interior better than the wood in the Impala, IMO.

The wheel design isn't so much about the number of spokes, just that the Impala's wheel seems very, very plain and ordinary to me.  The X3 wheel stands out.

In the photos you posted, you can see the stitching and gentle rippling in the BMW seats.  The Impala just has flat, no frills leather.

206510[/snapback]

I'll agree about the wood, but I couldn't find a tan interior Impala. The tan interior with the wood looks 1000 times better.

So here is gray X3 interior....

Posted Image

but you're still focusing on items that naturally would be different on cars with a $20k difference.

I'm talking about the over all design. Other than the steering wheel, it just doesn't look special, or more better, or any of the terms generally thrown about regarding BMW interiors.

These look much more upscale and give a "warm fuzzy" that the X3 doesn't.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I mean really. Look at that SRX dash compaired to the X3. Cadillac is ahead of BMW in design in this case.

What I'm getting at here is that the X3's asthetic design is more akin to the Impala's when it should be more along the lines of the M-class, SRX, and Touareg.

I'll agree about the wood, but I couldn't find a tan interior Impala. The tan interior with the wood looks 1000 times better.

So here is  gray X3 interior....

Posted Image

206519[/snapback]

Okay. Now THAT is nasty. Is that still a $40,000 car we're looking at? The Impala's interior wins against that, hands-down.

but you're still focusing on items that naturally would be different on cars with a $20k difference.

I'm talking about the over all design. Other than the steering wheel, it just doesn't look special, or more better, or any of the terms generally thrown about regarding BMW interiors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I mean really. Look at that SRX dash compaired to the X3. Cadillac is ahead of BMW in design in this case.

What I'm getting at here is that the X3's asthetic design is more akin to the Impala's when it should be more along the lines of the M-class, SRX, and Touareg.

206519[/snapback]

Agreed, these are all nicer interiors than the one in the X3.

It's definitely not cute in that gray.....I like it tan though. It's still on our list for our next car but with the RDX $10k less I'm leaning towards the RDX.

Nicer wood texture?  It's glossy smooth!

Nicer steering wheel design? It must be that 3-spoke thing that everyone harps on.  I like neither of them actually

206323[/snapback]

BMW = Real wood. Chevy = Fake wood.

BMW = Soft-touch plastics (especially more now with the '07 redesign.) Chevy = Lots more hard-touch plastics

BMW = Manufacture of the various interior parts/console/door panels/lids all feel like they are carved out of granite. Chevy = Floor console you can wiggle back-and-forth for example....glovebox door that "clangs" when you close it instead of "thunks" like the BMW's does.

BMW = Clear, concise, easy-to-read gauges. Chevy = NASCAR-inspired red and grey flash to the instruments (SS at least)

BMW = Wonderfully-supportive seats with (optional) leather that FEELS like leather. Chevy = Woefully flat seats with (optional) leather that feels more like vinyl.

Just some examples.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

206519[/snapback]

First of all, the grey X3 interior is the previous-gen dash.

Next, the X3s interior, for better or worse (I think better) follows relatively closely to BMWs current design language as represented by 3, 5, 7, and the new X5.

BMW isn't trying to give the X3 an RX330 Lexus-like interior. That's not what BMW interiors are supposed to be like.

what does an SAV (rofl) exactly need such a meaty steering wheel for.

Nobody and I mean nobody is going to try to cut a corner in this.

This isn't a true BMW and an insult to the nameplate.

209330[/snapback]

Uh.....have you driven an X3?

It's most likely THE best-handling SUV ON THE MARKET.....(at least numbers-wise)

C&D tested one when it first came out with the Sport package.....and yes the ride is tough.....but the X3 pulled 0.88g (!) on the skidpad....performance wasn't that bad with the "old" 3.0L pulling 0-60 in 7.4secs with the 6-speed manual tranny....

I drove my friend's X3 that she just got.....with the base suspension and automatic and was amazed at how nimble it was even without the sports package....and how little body-roll there was.

Guys, I need your help....

How is this....

Posted Image

so much more special than this.....

Posted Image

seriously....

206280[/snapback]

imo, the dash has more design to it, more taste, more creativity. let's leave the materials aside for a second and focus on the look, the gauges and steering wheel look more expensive/look more professional/look nicer, the upper dash design seems more substantial looking while also looking less fat [i don't know how to explain this better, just look at it I guess], the lines are more appealing on the upper dash, the center stack flows has creativity has lines and it looks ten times more classy with BMWs no frills stereo design and quality wood, GM's center stack is like every other GM center stack, like a log with a dimple in the middle no design appeal no lines just a round pod attached to a log. Creative door panel design only add to that quality feel.

However, this is not a fair comparison, SRX versus X3 is fair and I see you have that too.

Aside from what's listed above, the experience when you sit in the car is of a much better made car in the X3, the Impala feels unfinished and raw.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

206519[/snapback]

the only thing I don't like about the SRX is its lack of a real identity. It doesn't match the exterior character of the car, I don't know this looks like it belongs in a Lucerne, not the edgy SRX. The materials and presentation look to be there, except the gauges which look dinky, though I have never sat in the car so my mind could change on the quality. I think it's a tremendous improvement quality-wise especially which was the most important fix that was necessary, just that now the interior is rather bleh.

Why is the X3 being compared to cars that are better suited to comparisons of the X5?

209463[/snapback]

X3 MSRP $36,800

SRX MSRP $36,270

Touereg MSRP $37,410

ML350 MSRP $42,680

The only one that is much higher is the ML... and I'm sure there is a bit of price overlap there.

point is, the 3 "other" interiors, yes including the Cadillac, :pokeowned: the X3 interior in terms of design.

the only thing I don't like about the SRX is its lack of a real identity. It doesn't match the exterior character of the car, I don't know this looks like it belongs in a Lucerne, not the edgy SRX. The materials and presentation look to be there, except the gauges which look dinky, though I have never sat in the car so my mind could change on the quality. I think it's a tremendous improvement quality-wise especially which was the most important fix that was necessary, just that now the interior is rather bleh.

209458[/snapback]

Yet again proof that GM could make a fully working model of Christ himself and there would still be people complaining that the water to wine function only dispenses a Merlot.

I don't like the design of the X3 interior (or exterior for that matter). I know the quality, fit, and finish of everything is great, but if they would change just a few things with the hvac/cd player then it would be much better. Instead of having that popup nav system, if they just integrated it then it would make the interior worlds better in my opinion. Granted, I haven't spent much time in an X3, and from what I have found, interior shots of BMW's don't do them much justice.

...and yet it'll still never outhandle a car.

209439[/snapback]

It outgripped and outbraked a 330i from that year... hence the bone-shaking ride.

330i w/ Performance Package:

skidpad: 0.87g

70-0: 158 ft

X3 3.0i Sport

skidpad: 0.88g

70-0: 157 ft

X3 MSRP $36,800

SRX MSRP $36,270

Touereg MSRP $37,410

ML350 MSRP $42,680

The only one that is much higher is the ML... and I'm sure there is a bit of price overlap there.

point is, the 3 "other" interiors, yes including the Cadillac,  :pokeowned: the X3 interior in terms of design.

209468[/snapback]

It all depends on your taste. The X3 interior is more arty and progressive, the Touareg interior is more business-like, etc.

....but I can think of PLENTY of GM cars that it will run rings around......cars even such as the Impala "SS"......Pontiac G6 "GTP"......etc...

209529[/snapback]

I'm sure it can outhandle some Fords, like the Five Hundred, and some Nissans, like the Quest, and some Toyotas, like the Avalon, too.

I'd much rather have a 3er wagon. I just don't get this whole "let's make a naturally unsporting vehicle sporty by giving it a harsh, uncomfortable ride" deal.

I'm sure it can outhandle some Fords, like the Five Hundred, and some Nissans, like the Quest, and some Toyotas, like the Avalon, too.

I'd much rather have a 3er wagon. I just don't get this whole "let's make a naturally unsporting vehicle sporty by giving it a harsh, uncomfortable ride" deal.

209644[/snapback]

What's "naturally unsporting" about it....?

Hmmm?

Is it ride height? Center of gravity?

Because that's just about the only difference you have between the 3-series architecture the X3 borrows from....and even that is not nearly as big a difference as what you get with most other "SUVs"

Look at the suspension and chassis specifications......there's really nothing "naturally unsporting" about it.

What's "naturally unsporting" about it....?

Is it ride height?  Center of gravity?

210124[/snapback]

Yes. Plus, it weighs 300lbs more than a comparable 325 wagon.

Because that's just about the only difference you have between the 3-series architecture the X3 borrows from....and even that is not nearly as big a difference as what you get with most other "SUVs"

210124[/snapback]

But that's not the point. Compare it to a normal 3er and I'm positive the car will always handle better. Buying an X3 because its the sportiest SUV is ridiculous because something that looks alot like this...

Posted Image

...sits right across from it. This car - comparably equipped - costs less by at least $3-4,000, isn't cursed with this dorky highchair seating position, is more visually attractive, and gets better mileage by very virtue of it being a normal car. Of course, its not a car, its a wagon and, man, is the term pure death to some people. And does the X3's tailgate do this?

Posted Image

Wow. Even more...versitile. And, oddly enough, the wagon is roomier, more legroom(?!) and headroom(?!?!) than the X3. Cargo capacity is also not that much less (25 vs. 28 cu.ft.). Ground clearance is a wash because who takes a Bimmer offroad?

So, again, why spend more on the X3 if you're looking for performance and utility?

The X3 outhandles every model in the '07 Pontiac lineup.

210127[/snapback]

What is with everyone pointing out random GM car models as if I said "any" car can outperform it? The X3 outhandles an '85 Country Squire, but that's not my point. A comparable car exists within the BMW lineup call the 325xi and its superior in most every way to the X3 except that BMW contrives this 'SAV' moniker for the X3 while still cursing the 325 as a 'wagon,' albeit a sport one.

i'm not sure why people have issues with some SUV's being sporty. its what people want now.

-accept that masses of buyers now prefer xovers and suv's. sedand and coupes are dying.

-accept that some folks like a bit taller seating

-accept that anything besides a dorky coupe or sedan could also benefit from good handling.

as in OPEN YOUR MIND SOME. how else does acura get 40k for a bloated crv that only gets 13mpg out fo a four popper.

go look at sales figures.. i bet the x3 outsold the 3 series wagon.

Edited by regfootball

What is with everyone pointing out random GM car models as if I said "any" car can outperform it?

210143[/snapback]

you kinda walked right into that one with your general general statement up there. but I'll say I wouldn't try to figure people out, some, it's just thier preference, and you're not going to get anywhere trying to change thier mind. While I love the idea of a wagon, and would totally swing for the Sportcombi if I wasn't heterosexual [-heh, jk~!]; but I actually really prefer the look of the X5 to any other SUV/wagon in BMWs lineup. Call me crazy...

you kinda walked right into that one with your general general statement up there.

210244[/snapback]

Well, I just like how people pointed out Impalas and Pontiacs and not Caravans, Mirages, Ramchargers, 9000s, Volgas, 280Es, Monarchs and a bunch of other cars, too.

Some of you people are ridiculously close-minded. I have an X3, I got it over the wagon because the lease was way cheaper. BMW was running great lease deals on the 06's.

The X3 really scoots, handles great for an "SUV", and has that tight, quality BMW feel. It comes standard with the giant moonroof, automatic (or 6 speed manual), DSC, AWD of course, nice wheels, etc, etc.

Drive one before you blast it. It's a great everyday commuting car.

And I'm not a GM hater. I have an 04 Escalade, an 06 Malibu Maxx, and an 84 Corvette. The BMW has a very different feel than any current GM product. I drove the SRX and liked it, but to me the X3 is much sportier.

Some of you people are ridiculously close-minded. I have an X3, I got it over the wagon because the lease was way cheaper.  BMW was running great lease deals on the 06's.

The X3 really scoots, handles great for an "SUV", and has that tight, quality BMW feel. It comes standard with the giant moonroof, automatic (or 6 speed manual), DSC, AWD of course, nice wheels, etc, etc.

Drive one before you blast it. It's a great everyday commuting car.

And I'm not a GM hater. I have an 04 Escalade, an 06 Malibu Maxx, and an 84 Corvette.  The BMW has a very different feel than any current GM product. I drove the SRX and liked it, but to me the X3 is much sportier.

210365[/snapback]

The X3 is smaller than the SRX right? That competes with the X5, so that'd explain the sportier handling. I've never driven one (or any BMW for that matter) so I can't say, but I do like the overal design of the interior...just not the exterior.

I guess it mostly stems from my car-lovin' roots. I don't deny the X3 is a performer, but I still think the wagon would perform better and personally wish people would buy more of them so manufacturers offer more of them in general.

210369[/snapback]

The wagon's a fine product.....but it's still not as roomy as the X3. I'm not as sure as the numbers, but if you look at them side-by-side, the X3 is roomier inside the cabin for passengers and the cargo hold is much more utilitarian in it's arrangement for carrying bigger loads.

AND.....btw.....the X3 out-handles the wagon!

The wagon is only available in 325xi guise.....and in C&D's recent short take, pulled only 0.80g. This was a non-sport....but in the xi wagon, the sport package doesn't sharpen up the suspension and give you the larger tires of the sedan/non-x 3-series.

With the current magnesium I6 and a stick, the X3 would probably better its old time of 7.4secs 0-60....and probably beat the 325xi wagons 7.0sec run.

I just rode in an X3 yesterday. Just a passenger, I didn't get to feel the driving dynamics, just ride and interior materials. this was an '06 X3, so not the "new, but really the same thing" X3 we've been discussing here.

1. Dash materials. All of you people harping on the CTS for it's dash materials while giving BMW a free pass must shut up right now. The dash area in front of the passenger was made up of a rough feeling rubberized plastic that would have been more appropriate as a bed liner on a Silverado <I'm sure by virtue of being a Chevy, the bed liner wouldn't have that "quality" feel of a BMW.>

2. The seam where the passenger airbag would deploy from was all wobbly.

3. The passenger door wouldn't unlock. The owner had to try repeatedly to unlock the doors with the key fob. Eventually she gave up and got in her side, reached across and pulled to door handle to open it for me.

4. The entire area around the NAV is the same exact plastic as the plastic around the CTS's center stack.

5. She said the vehicle has been back to the dealership on a flatbed due to a computer malfunction twice in the 2,600 miles she's had it. She consider's this acceptable. Her dealer provides free kool-aid.

6. The ride was *much* stiffer than the CTS. While this might be acceptable on the track or in areas of the U.S. with roads not made out of multiple sizes of rocks, it is completely wrong for western PA. Every expansion joint or road blemish was felt.

7. The leather on the seats was very nice. Soft, supple, perfectly proportioned.

8. It felt like it has a good amount of punch even with the only minimally aggressive way she drove.

9. She is the exact stereotype of the X3 driver. Middle aged, blond, female, poor driver <already has curb rash>. This item really isn't a review item of the car itself, but just shows the demographic this car obviously appeals to. The stereotype is there for a reason ya know.