Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Edge Takes Aim at Import Competition

Edge Takes Aim at Import Competition

Posted Image

This week, Ford began showing the Edge off to automotive media in California and kicked off its production of the vehicle at its factory in Oakville, Ontario.

The stakes couldn't be much higher for a new vehicle. Ford is counting on the Edge, which hits showrooms in November, to score big in the emerging crossover segment and convince people who have given up on Ford to take a second look at the brand.

Read "Ford Edge guns for import-only crowd" @ The Detroit News

I predict a good solid hit with this crossover. It's stylish and has great quality. It represents forward thinking for Ford. I'm not enamored with the grille and face, but it has an atrractive, bold presence.

I like the Edge, too. Just one question, however. How can a residual value be set when the vehicle isn't even on sale yet?

I like the Edge, too.  Just one question, however.  How can a residual value be set when the vehicle isn't even on sale yet?

206246[/snapback]

probably through manufacturer's history in other segments and looking at this segment for other car companies. Residual is a set value that can vary depending upon demand, the more this car will sell the higher the value will go obviously, since more buyers are in the market for it both new and used. Ford has piss poor resale, like all American cars, so they're probably basing it on history.

I like the Edge, too.  Just one question, however.  How can a residual value be set when the vehicle isn't even on sale yet?

206246[/snapback]

It's not set, it's just a prediction.

The residual value isn't set by the manufacturers. It is set by outside companies based on the cars base price vs feature set compares that to the competition. The Edge has a low base price vs the competition - $2300 below the Murano - yet includes many standard features that are optional on the Murano. Therefore, over a 3 year period, the Edge is PREDICTED to retain more of it's value.

The residual value is important because that is how the car makers set lease rates. The higher the residual, the less of the car's value the customer uses over the course of the lease, the lower the lease payment can be. Also, if a car retains its value over time, it holds more value in a regular buyers mind, and is therefore worth the price without discounts.

Ex. the Focus has a low residual value based on its MSRP, so Ford is forced to compensate buyers with a huge rebate - $2500 - in order to get people to buy it. The Civic retains a very high % of MSRP, and sells for full price.

Which makes the whole residual value thing a big hillarious gag.

206266[/snapback]

unless your leasing a new car in which case you get a fricking good deal.

i.e. leasing a full sized sedan for the same price as say, a Mazda3.

Edited by regfootball

All of Ford's new interiors look pretty somber in all black. Smart dealers will order them with 2 tone interiors - it makes all the difference.

You may think those buttons look cheap, but big well laid out buttons are much easier to use while driving - less distracting.

I am not a big fan of the Edge. When it showed up at our local car show last year on a spinner virtually no one even noticed it. Instead everyone was clambering around the Soltice and Sky and imports. Taking a bland looking Asian look alike body and tacking on a gaudy chrome grille does not a big success story make, that is unless it has the words Toyota or Honda written on it!

the edge will sell

206905[/snapback]

Yes, it will sell....very well too. If there's a crowd out there that buys Ford products regardless of how mediocre they are, the same crowd will be thrilled to bits with this product and will replace their current Ford with the Edge.

But the Edge could have been bigger. It already looks fantastic on the outside. However, if you look at the photos on Family Car, the interior is the same old Ford crap they've been putting out for a while now. You feel that the interior belongs in a Ford F150 truck and not in a family crossover. So in that sense, it'll be a failure because the Edge had the potential to be something truely huge for Ford. It would have had huge conquest sales with a half-decent interior and could have made inroads into import markets.

The exterior is what got me hugely excited about the Edge the first time I saw it and had me talking about it to my GF, friends etc. Now that the real life photos are out, the interior is a big dissapointment to me and I won't buy any product with an interior like that.

Edited by scotthendersonfan

Yes, it will sell....very well too. If there's a crowd out there that buys Ford products regardless of how mediocre they are, the same crowd will be thrilled to bits with this product and will replace their current Ford with the Edge.

But the Edge could have been bigger. It already looks fantastic on the outside. However, if you look at the photos on Family Car, the interior is the same old Ford crap they've been putting out for a while now. You feel that the interior belongs in a Ford F150 truck and not in a family crossover. So in that sense, it'll be a failure because the Edge had the potential to be something truely huge for Ford. It would have had huge conquest sales with a half-decent interior and could have made inroads into import markets.

The exterior is what got me hugely excited about the Edge the first time I saw it and had me talking about it to my GF, friends etc. Now that the real life photos are out, the interior is a big dissapointment to me and I won't buy any product with an interior like that.

207072[/snapback]

You do realize that many here decried the interior of the Fusion as being horrible also............... yet the Fusion has a conquest rate of nearly 40%.

Just as an observation.................. pretty much any interior, photographed at close range, with high resolution, will look pretty bad. Hell, most people photographed like that, look terrible. Look at the Camry interior photographed in the same fashion............... yuck. Look at the vehicle on the ground, with the interior as a whole. It does look very nice in person, and pretty much all the reviews thus far have liked it.

I like it. It looks different, and looks to have a very useful interior. Not too big, not too small. Plus, the driving dynamics of the Fusion are a bonus. Sorry, but big, soft, and boring just don't do it for me.

For those who keep insisting that the Lambda's are competition, look at it this way. The Tahoe and Suburban can be a similar comparison. They are priced closely, and have similar duties in life. Yet, those who buy a Tahoe will rarely look at a Suburban............. and visa versa. If you want big, you shop big. If you don't want big, you don't. People rarely buy a vehicle based on price per interior cubic foot.................... if they did, noone would buy a Mazda 3.

207072[/snapback]

you just don't get that the Edge is a direct Murano competitior, not a Lambda competitor. the M doesn't have or need a 3rd row. Some don't want a 3rd row. edge is more like a personal SUV, the lambdas are a family SUV. You just have no clue when it comes to product placement.

Edited by regfootball

I checked out a preproduction Edge, and the interior fit-and-finish and design is easily comparable to the Murano's, Highlander's, and Pilot's, if not better.

Am I the only one that hasn't been taken in by this car? I'm betting it'll be a decent hit for Ford as the car looks solid overall. Conservative if not functional interior along with a bold grille and headlights help the Edge seem worthy of cross shopping it with its competitors.

But what's all the hooplah about? I mean I don't see any sort of innovative styling or features that haven't been done before. Styling wise it looks like a standard SUV with a bit of the Fusion grille thrown in at the front. The tailights although different, aren't unique in a world where other manufacturers and even Ford themselves, have design driven lights also. Also the standard Ford HVAC controls have never looked appealing to me and they still don't even if they have better surroundings in the cabin this time around. I'm not criticizing Ford for parts bin usage, we've all seen GM's radio/HVAC unit in multiple GM cars, the difference is I like GM's design so I don't mind it showing up as much.

My family has been thinking about getting a small or midsize SUV as our next car. I would put the Edge on my list of test drives but I'm not going all super ga-ga over it.

It's a nice vehicle with attractive stlying, good features and specs: hey look I just described the Edge, Pilot, Highlander, Lambdas, and Thetas(once 3.6 V6 arrives), all in one sentence.

Nonoffensive yet competant.

There, I've just described 95% of all vehicles built. Does this mean that noone buys them??

You like the GM interiors, even though they are pretty much all the same, and pretty much all use the same parts, because you are a GM fan. In this realm, you can understand how someone who may be a Ford fan, would like Ford interiors.

The humor I see here, is that the GM fan (yes I know it is a GM site) likes a GM vehicle for a set of reasons. The Ford fan likes the Ford vehicle for the very same reasons, and they are silly fanboys???

As someone who enjoys observing people............... this is all rather fascinating.

BTW, I do not see the Edge, or the Lambda's looking like SUV's at all. SUV's have a very negative image these days, and these vehicles were specifically designed to not play into that image. Take two equally maligned catagories (SUV and Minivan), and morph them into a vehicle that can fill either position, but does not really look like either. Sounds like a crossover to me.

I think the segment will continue to grow................. and quickly. Just as I feel both the Edge and the Lambda's will do well in their respective marketplace. Does Ford need a large crossover..................... I think so. Does GM need a medium size one??? ................ you betcha. (Small / medium SUV's do not count. The Escape and Equinox are still SUV's................. no matter what marketing wants to say they are)

:banghead:

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? It's one thing to voice your loudmouth opinions all the time the way you do, but don't tell you have reading comprehension issues on top of that.

I'll try and explain it one more time, this time using steps...

1) Ford Edge - Great product, great market segment, well executed exterior design and good powertrain

2) Ford Edge - Let down by crappy interior material quality and interior design. Could have led the market with a little more effort.

Do you see third row, lambda or any of that other mumbo jumbo you mentioned in my post?

207341[/snapback]

The Edge does not have crappy interior material quality, unless the Highlander, Murano, and Pilot do too.

BTW, you wrote, "But the Edge could have been bigger," so reg probably thought bigger = larger.

If the Edge has similar quality materials to the Fusion, then I'm not so sure "crappy" fits the bill.

Personally, having compared the Camry's and Fusion's interior materials, etc, I found that I liked the Fusion's better, and I'm not a Ford fan.

However, interior design will likely be different from the Fusion, so I cannot vouch for that, and I have only seen the Edge's exterior, which is pretty nice.

Hopefully, this vehicle will help Ford gain back some share and make a little money.

The Edge does not have crappy interior material quality, unless the Highlander, Murano, and Pilot do too.

BTW, you wrote, "But the Edge could have been bigger," so reg probably thought bigger = larger.

207342[/snapback]

yes, thanks for reading the intent of my words correctly.

Nonoffensive yet competant.

There, I've just described 95% of all vehicles built. Does this mean that noone buys them??

You like the GM interiors, even though they are pretty much all the same, and pretty much all use the same parts, because you are a GM fan. In this realm, you can understand how someone who may be a Ford fan, would like Ford interiors.

The humor I see here, is that the GM fan (yes I know it is a GM site) likes a GM vehicle for a set of reasons. The Ford fan likes the Ford vehicle for the very same reasons, and they are silly fanboys???

First off, I never said that no one is going to buy the Edge just because I don't find it that unique. There's a ton of buzz surrounding this car in the industry and how it may or may not be Ford's savior. People WILL buy this car because of the hype but also because it is a good vehicle. Is it special in my eyes? Not too much, but that doesn't deter me from looking at it myself as a customer. Maybe if this car had come out before the Fusion, I'd be more in awe of it.

Not to nitpick but I like the GM interiors/exteriors purely design wise over Ford's and that's why I'm a GM fan. Not the other way around, blind loyalty is a bad concept to follow. Oh and yes I did forget that there are strong Ford fans present here(nothing wrong with that) which are excited about the Edge.

As for the silly fanboy comment, I don't think that was meant for me. However, just to make sure, I never labeled anyone a fanboy anywhere in my post.

I think both the Edge and MkX will do well... Here's hoping they do VERY WELL...

Oh and, on a personal note, to hell with arrogant Californians, too bad that state hasn't fallen into the ocean or broken off and joined Japan. That way they could worship their naive demigods of style and inferior engineering.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook