Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Dan Neil gives the Edge a thumbs up

11 posts in this topic

Ford on the Edge

The launch of a new CUV may be just what the ailing automaker needs. It's a credible, timely vehicle, and its flaws are few.

DAN NEIL

October 18, 2006

Posted Image

Design: The Edge is a terrific-looking piece of machinery, short-coupled and athletic, with a long, rakish windshield and handsome grill resembling a triple-bladed razor, the same face as on the Ford Fusion. With its large, well-tailored wheel arches, simplified geometry, high beltline, canted rear window and relatively narrow greenhouse (the glassy section of the car), the Edge has a deliberate and sporty stance that a lot of CUVs — coming off as neutered SUVs — are missing.

The good news for partisans is that the Edge is a very appealing, if not quite magical, bit of transportation. At its heart is the new all-alloy, 24-valve V6, which manages to put out a lot of power and torque (250 pound-feet at 4,500 rpm) with a minimum of noise and vibration. The Duratec engine's former thrash and harshness has been largely subdued. This engine is also clean. It is PZEV-capable, Ford reports, and the Edge itself qualifies as a ULEV-II vehicle.

With this motor in the snout, the 2-ton Edge has a nice, punchy low-speed character and above-average onramp acceleration. I estimate the zero to 60 acceleration is in the high 7-second range. The six-speed transmission changes ratios fluidly and without fuss. Some might complain that it doesn't have a manual-shift mode, and yet I expect most consumers never use that feature and won't miss it.

By far the most exemplary quality of the Edge is its ride refinement. The cabin ambience is hushed and serene even at supra-legal speeds. The wind and tire noise are well-smothered, and the compliance is excellent. The cabin is well- isolated from the road by a generous helping of couplings, rubber-mounted sub-frames and other mechanical measures that one can see if they look under the vehicle.

There are lots of things to love about the Edge. The optional switches that flip down the reclining rear seat backs are a great idea. Pod-heads will appreciate the various plugs and cubbies to accommodate their iPods. The center console is designed to receive a laptop computer. Cabin space is exceptional, especially rear seat legroom and cargo capacity.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automoti...a-home-highway1

Edited by mustang84

Good review, but they aren't going to sell many fully-optioned Edge's, I fear. I'm guessing an Acadia with $6k in options will be pretty much loaded, and it's far better than the Edge, IMO. Maybe the Edge will find a niche as a smaller, possibly more nimble alternative to the Lambas and other 7-seat CUVs, but I fear not offering a 3rd row as the others do for a similar price might be a deciding factor in a lot of cases.

I hope the Edge does well, and it sounds like it's a good product (though I'm not crossing my fingers on the interior, and the review did not really address the materials), but something tells me it really needed a 3rd row like many of its competitors.

Good review, but they aren't going to sell many fully-optioned Edge's, I fear. I'm guessing an Acadia with $6k in options will be pretty much loaded, and it's far better than the Edge, IMO. Maybe the Edge will find a niche as a smaller, possibly more nimble alternative to the Lambas and other 7-seat CUVs, but I fear not offering a 3rd row as the others do for a similar price might be a deciding factor in a lot of cases.

I hope the Edge does well, and it sounds like it's a good product (though I'm not crossing my fingers on the interior, and the review did not really address the materials), but something tells me it really needed a 3rd row like many of its competitors.

206564[/snapback]

Your point is valid, but I don't see the third row thing being a problem. I worked at a Toyota dealership this past summer, and I didn't see a single RAV (and we went through a bunch) with the third row. There were a fair amount in the Highlanders, but the thing about the Highlander is that the third row is so small and crummy that it can fold flat and look the same in the back. So if it's in with a package or if it's there, people take it cause it doesn't hurt. In addition, the Edge is Highlander-sized, and the third row in the Highlander, as I said, is small. No one but little kids are gonna be using that thing. The Acadia is bigger, so a third row for it is smarter.

When Ford had ads to 'build your Edge online' or whatever, they had a section where they had options that weren't going to be initially included on a page, in an attempt to gauge interest. If a lot of people said that they'd want the third row, they'll likely add it a year or two from now. Otherwise, it's not worth the money.

I am primed up for an Edge like Anna Nicole Smith is primed up for a willing male, and let me tell you, the lack of 3rd row is no problem for me. Why? I will someday get an Acadia as well for my 3rd row vehicle aside it in the garage.

The reviews I have read for this vehicle are mixed. One review said its slow and porky with a cheap interior. Other reviews like it.

Bottom line: try it yourself.

What I was pleased with most in this article (which are big items from one who drives a current 06 Ford product)

with a minimum of noise and vibration. The Duratec engine's former thrash and harshness has been largely subdued.

By far the most exemplary quality of the Edge is its ride refinement. The cabin ambience is hushed and serene even at supra-legal speeds. The wind and tire noise are well-smothered, and the compliance is excellent. The cabin is well- isolated from the road by a generous helping of couplings, rubber-mounted sub-frames and other mechanical measures that one can see if they look under the vehicle.

There are lots of things to love about the Edge. The optional switches that flip down the reclining rear seat backs are a great idea. Pod-heads will appreciate the various plugs and cubbies to accommodate their iPods. The center console is designed to receive a laptop computer. Cabin space is exceptional, especially rear seat legroom and cargo capacity.

if Ford has ONLY just gotten rid of buzzy vibrating v6's and has added a smooth shifting automatic and has kept the cab quiet, than that alone has me excited.

Alone - and - excited.

I would love the manumatic and i hate the cheap corporate radio and climate controls.....but the shape is appealing. My buddy Dave at the Ford dealer by my house will be hearing from me soon. The tabs are due on my 500 this month, just for fun, I think I am going to get a number to switch. It would be interesting to see how much of a bath i would take.

Edited by regfootball

Your point is valid, but I don't see the third row thing being a problem. I worked at a Toyota dealership this past summer, and I didn't see a single RAV (and we went through a bunch) with the third row. There were a fair amount in the Highlanders, but the thing about the Highlander is that the third row is so small and crummy that it can fold flat and look the same in the back. So if it's in with a package or if it's there, people take it cause it doesn't hurt. In addition, the Edge is Highlander-sized, and the third row in the Highlander, as I said, is small. No one but little kids are gonna be using that thing. The Acadia is bigger, so a third row for it is smarter.

When Ford had ads to 'build your Edge online' or whatever, they had a section where they had options that weren't going to be initially included on a page, in an attempt to gauge interest. If a lot of people said that they'd want the third row, they'll likely add it a year or two from now. Otherwise, it's not worth the money.

206588[/snapback]

I see where you're coming from, but how many people are going to scratch it from their list because it doesn't have a third row? I'm guessing there's plenty of people with younger kids that could definetly use a third row of seats, and the Edge won't be on their list because of it. Sure, Ford has the Freestyle, but how is that selling? Not well. Ford is pretty in the know with fold-flat third rows. Both the Explorer and Expedition have them. Maybe they didn't want to kill Explorer sales even more by having a third row in the Edge?

all ford has to do to jumpstart freestyle sales is a few things and then they will have the 3rd row thing covered

1-new engine (on its way)

2-redo the front end and some other styling tweaks, make it look tougher and more trucky

3-some interior tweaks

4-more gizmos

5-restructure pricing and options pjgs and ADVERTISE IT

Edited by regfootball

Wow... A positive domestic review from Dan Neil?!?!?!? Hell must have frozen over.

I'm surprised he didn't have a nail gun trying to board up the coffin.

210003[/snapback]

Maybe because for once it is a domestic car with no excuses.

And he didn't win a Pulitzer for nothing...

The Edge looks to be a great vehicle, particularly next to its dated competition.

Edited by empowah

I don't see why the Acadia and the Edge are being compared when they don't directly compete with each other. The Freestyle competes with it more directly. The Edge is smaller, so it's not much of an issue if it lacks a third row. Wouldn't bother me, that's for sure.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this