Sign in to follow this  
Variance

No More Bull: Taurus Production Ends Next Week

20 posts in this topic

No More Bull: Taurus Production Ends Next Week

Posted Image

Sometime next week, the assembly line at a Ford plant near Atlanta will come to a halt, signaling the end of a family sedan so revolutionary that its 1985 debut changed forever the way cars look, feel and drive.

Say goodbye to the Taurus.

After 21 years and sales of nearly 7 million cars, Ford Motor Co. is giving up on what some call the most influential automobile since Henry Ford's Model T. The Taurus is credited with moving America away from boxy V-8 powered gas-guzzling bedrooms-on-wheels to aerodynamic, more efficient cars with crisper handling.

Read "Ford set to produce last Taurus" @ Yahoo

WWHD?

What Will Hertz Do?

206675[/snapback]

LMAO!

seriosuly, they ought to keep the taurus in production. solely for hertz, special education kids transport, fleets, and for them to someday be sold as year old cars that can be had for 249 a month on 72 months at 8.9% APR to well qualified buyers only.

My grandfather bought a 1996 Taurus brand new when they came out...after my grandfather passed away in 2002, the car was given to me with 40,000 miles on it...after 4 months and 4,000 miles I gave the car to my dad in exchange for his 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. The Taurus needed a new transmission at 45,000 miles and the car was never beat on and had been having tranny issues literally from day one....I won't miss the Taurus.

WWHD?

What Will Hertz Do?

206675[/snapback]

I don't understand why Ford and GM won't keep their older cars around and only sell them to rental fleets. It would still make money for them and keep the residuals up on their mainstream cars. Heck, the tooling is most likely paid for already, just keep pumping them out.

Sad that such a great opportunity for Ford was squandered...if Ford had nurtured the Taurus at all costs, the way that Honda does with the Accord, things might be different at Ford right now. I hope somebody at Ford is thinking about what the end of Taurus production really means.

The only difference between first gen/second gen and second gen/fusion is that they changed the name this time. The car was radically different for 96 and it was for 06 as well.

So if you look at it that way the Taurus didn't die, it just changed names this time.

The only difference between first gen/second gen and second gen/fusion is that they changed the name this time. The car was radically different for 96 and it was for 06 as well.

So if you look at it that way the Taurus didn't die, it just changed names this time.

207310[/snapback]

No.

First gen: 1986-1991

Second gen: 1992-1995

Third gen: 1996-1999

Fourth gen: 2000-2007

"Keep pumpin em out"

Yeah, that realy helps a company's image, making cars that get forced on renters, then end up as 'dollar store' left overs. Tooling isnt the only cost, also. One plant making just one car line costs $$$.

Hertz and all the others can get Korean cars, and pass the bad resale and image to them.

Edited by Chicagoland

I was in high school when the original Taurus was launched..I remember thinking it was a bold move, styled quite differently than anything else from Detroit, so much better looking than the dull boxes GM and Chrysler were churning out at the time..

I've rented many of them over the years, 2 this year so far. So long, Taurus.

In case anyone was wondering who the final Taurus will go to:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061021/ap_on_...e_last_taurus_2

207515[/snapback]

It's been confirmed........he definitely gets the final Taurus

Restaurant Founder Gets His Wish: Last Ford Taurusl

It's been confirmed........he definitely gets the final Taurus

Restaurant Founder Gets His Wish: Last Ford Taurusl

209024[/snapback]

I'm surprised the Henry Ford museum didn't get it..they have the first Taurus, IIRC.

Which makes me wonder, who got the last Camaro? The last Firebird? The last GTO?

Edited by moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this