Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Spied: 2009 Mercury Monticello

29 posts in this topic

Spied: 2009 Mercury Monticello

Posted Image

Despite news to the contrary, we have seen a few Mercury versions of the Ford Freestyle around the Detroit area in the past week. Last night we were able to get close enough to take a look at the D3-platform car and take a few camera phone shots.

Read "Ford (Still) Says This Car Doesn’t Exist: 2009 Mercury Monticello Spied" @ Winding Road

*Update at post 18.

I think Ford should have cancelled this way back when the Lambdas debuted. Neither it nor the facelifted Freestyle stand a chance.

A new engine won't help the Freestyle; a cure for automotive Down's Syndrome will. Also, no one even realizes it exists anyway. Seriously. Go ask someone what a Pacifica is and its likely they'll know.

I think Ford should kill the Freestyle as a Ford and give it to Mercury instead. That way, Mercury gets a unique product, Ford has the Edge as the 5-seater and the "Fairlane" as the 7-seater.

The question I have is....where did this name Monticello suddenly come from?

206740[/snapback]

It starts with a M, duh! :P

I agree about having just a Mercury version, but Ford probably figures they won't sell enough of just the "Monticello."

I think Ford should kill the Freestyle as a Ford and give it to Mercury instead.  That way, Mercury gets a unique product, Ford has the Edge as the 5-seater and the "Fairlane" as the 7-seater.

206740[/snapback]

Hey, Ford! Hire this guy!

Edit: I like the name, too. An actual name is a hell of a lot better than M4 or whatever.

Edited by sciguy_0504

Monticello is stretching the "M" thing. Mercury has got to get over it before we start reading about the new Macaroon crossover or the Mammary minivan...

It was stated a while back that the Ford "F" thing is done, not sure about Mercury's "M" thing though.

206740[/snapback]

Monticello, Kentucky :stupid:

Yeah . . . :unsure:

206775[/snapback]

More than likely they got it from Thomas Jefferson's famous residence, Monticello. It's kind of a neat name, but I don't think it works for a car...it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue easily. Four syllables is a little much.

Posted Image

We have a Monticello in Illinois too. Thomas Jefferson's house is pronounced differntly. Rather than "chello" at the end, it's "sello." So, I'm wondering how Mercury will pronounce it.

Four syllables is a little much.

206807[/snapback]

Continental

Toronado

Riviera

Eldorado

Parisianne

Delta 88

F-150

Cutlass Supreme

Cutlass Ciera

Cutlass Calais

300c

300m

Ford would go with "Monarch" or "Monaco" before Montecello.

206861[/snapback]

Monarch is associated with the low point in Ford history.

Dodge might take issue with Monaco.

Mercury Colony Park. They've gotta stop with this alliteration thing, it's getting stale already. At least it's a real name though, not a stupid alphanumeric. Mercury needs another crossover to compliment the Mariner. With Edge and Fairlane coming on top of Escape, it might be wise to move Freestyle to Mercury, if they can successfully fight the perception that it'll be an old Ford, a hand-me-down.

I see quite a few Pacificas on the road...however since the Freestyle debuted I've seen less than 10 of them. That's how poorly they sell.

206976[/snapback]

.... or that's how well they blend in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again-unless this were to look like a Fairlane-meets-S-MAX-meets Enclave ordeal, forget this car, and unless Mercury's cars (and Mountainieer_ are to have Kinetic Design cues, then get rid of Mercury. Having two-tone interiors, satin chrome grilles, and an exclusive Satellite Silver Metallic (just another cool grey) color does not make for a division that should survive. The party's over and its been over, go home already.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this