mustang84

XJ and XK sales leap ahead

27 posts in this topic

Cat celebrates sales leap

Jaguar sales are motoring ahead, easing company worries

20th October 2006

Posted Image

It's all smiles at Jaguar! Sales of the Big Cat's flagship XJ saloon and new supercoupé, the XK, have gone through the roof. And that piece of roaring success will ease some of the troubled manufacturer's financial worries.

The introduction of the new 56 registration plate in Sept­ember saw the number of XJs purchased leap a massive 155 per cent, with two-thirds of that volume coming from the company's 2.7-litre twin-turbodiesel-engined offering.

It was a similar story for the XK coupé, with sales up 74 per cent in September. What's more, 800 advance orders have been taken so far this year for the new supercharged XKR, which arrives in showrooms at the end of November.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr.../jaguar_xj.html

Edited by mustang84

ya know, of all the big executive sedans out there, the Jag is easily the sexiest. It would definitely be first on my shopping list.

206836[/snapback]

Without a doubt. I guess the XK is bringing in the lookers and the XJ is pulling some its way. This doesn't even begin to solve Jag's problems, though.

Without a doubt.  I guess the XK is bringing in the lookers and the XJ is pulling some its way.  This doesn't even begin to solve Jag's problems, though.

206843[/snapback]

big time diesel option creates almost all the excess XJ demand in Europe.

US sales are still in freefall, unfortunately.

The XJ is the only remaining beautiful fullsize flagship sedan on the roads.

208458[/snapback]

Hell yes. I have even begun to look at used XJ6s and XJ8s just to see how close they are getting to my budget, and it ain't that far off, I will probably get one when I graduate from Chiro school in a few years.

208458[/snapback]

and what is cool about it is its aluminum chassis means its light. only like 3700 pounds vs. the porky mercedes and such. i like that, its real progress.

watch ford be dumb and sell jaguar now.

Edited by regfootball

208458[/snapback]

Deffinately, and the XK is hot has hell.

and what is cool about it is its aluminum chassis means its light.  only like 3700 pounds vs. the porky mercedes and such.  i like that, its real progress.

watch ford be dumb and sell jaguar now.

208466[/snapback]

Cuz Ford is stupid like that <_<

I'm glad Jag's doing better...because their best designs have been under Ford, IMO.

And the XJ is no exception. Best-looking full-size saloon on the market.

Edited by DetroitNut90

It isn't bling enough for self-made American businesspeople. Jags are too aristocratic.

208534[/snapback]

i'm tired of seeing all those penis inadequate fake hair peckerhead ex jocks and broker types driving around in DCX 300's.

Bling is out. send those jerks home

Its amazing that the XJ still has that appeal after 35 years. The best looking were still the origionals, the worst was when they flattend the hood/fenders and put the rectangle headlights in it. I cried !

It was just a masterpiece I guess. I feel the same of the XJS and find the XK8 a bit of a submarine by comparision.

I hope Jaguar can stay afloat and British.

So are you in favor of Ford selling it to a group of private British investors?

209564[/snapback]

NOT ASIANS !

Unless British investors have bottomless pockets of money, I dont think a small company can survive today or in the past 30 years for that matter. Its ashame they had to be sold to Ford, but Ford has been in England since around the 30's. If it comes to being owned by some asian company.......hang out the white flag, shut off the lights, call the recyclers and demolition people. Destroy all evidence !

NOT ASIANS !

.......hang out the white flag, shut off the lights, call the recyclers and demolition people. Destroy all evidence !

209572[/snapback]

Umm...what evidence can you possibly site to make a statement like that? It's just anti-car. not just sightly xenophobic and plain silly.

Jaguar is a treasure. If someone else's stewardship means its ultimate survival, then great. They couldn't possibly lose more money than Ford has....a dowry of the current aluminum technology would probably be a fantastic opportunity in someone else's hands.

I'm biased as a Jag fan, but I just don't see how euthanasia is really preferable with this icon.

Umm...what evidence can you possibly site to make a statement like that? It's just anti-car. not just sightly xenophobic and plain silly.

Jaguar is a treasure. If someone else's stewardship means its ultimate survival, then great. They couldn't possibly lose more money than Ford has....a dowry of the current aluminum technology would probably be a fantastic opportunity in someone else's hands.

I'm biased as a Jag fan, but I just don't see how euthanasia is really preferable with this icon.

209665[/snapback]

As a Jag fan as well, I do agree with the sentiment that I'd prefer seeing the hallowed insitution that is Jaguar be laid to rest rather than watching the nameplate be whored out for a bunch of hollow and pathetic vehicles (and not just the X-Type). Imagine a worst-case where you have inferior Eastern Bloc-style cars being made with the official Jaguar name.

Less fatalisticly, I'd also rather see Jaguar go dormant for a few years until a suitable benefactor with the money and appreciation can take over the brand.

209665[/snapback]

Jaguar is English, EnFo was English, Jag has been owned by a variety of English held conglomerates. Turn it to Korean or Japanese or Chinese and it becomes junk. A name is a bit more than a name, its a legacy. I dont see Asia as beng part of any legacy I want to be associated with. I would guess the majority of the Brits feel the same, thus would indicate the reason for a group of wealthy British investors considering the idea. Other wise they would keep their money safe and let it all go to Asia. There can be little doubt a bid from Asia would take great revenue to beat, some may feel it worth the battle. Myself I simply dont feel these small, speciality companies can live on without the bread and butter "divisions" behind them, if at all. Suprisingly this was part of the motive behind British Leyland but it mostlyly destroyed the indentity of the individual car companies. Jaguar managed to keep their engineering dedicated but British Leyland didnt survive. Jaguar survived through going public and selling shares to Ford. Now its questionable again, so we are going to sell out to Asains ? Asain racing green ? No, time to hang up the suit. Somethings just arent natural, like the Jackolope.

Xenophobia......lets see, its poped up a bit too much lately.........time for a bit of a look......."fear or hatred of foreign people or things".............oh yea, thats it.... :rolleyes: Now I know anyone that uses that term is lame. I fear nothing and have no reason to hate anyone that has not done something devious to me and just to give a clue........those that have are white Americans....... :rolleyes: So lets try this, find a word to use on me that describes someone that really cares about preservation of his own kind, culture, legacy and ethnic background. There surely has to be some evil sounding word out there to describe that.

I know there has always been people that were more than willing to lay down their flag and fly that of a conquering nation, submissive. I also know there are those that never would. I guess I must be a decendant of the latter.

Edited by razoredge

Xenophobia......lets see, its poped up a bit too much lately.........time for a bit of a look......."fear or hatred of foreign people or things".............oh yea, thats it.... :rolleyes: Now I know anyone that uses that term is lame. I fear nothing and have no reason to hate anyone that has not done something devious to me and just to give a clue........those that have are white Americans....... :rolleyes:  So lets try this, find a word to use on me that describes someone that really cares about preservation of his own kind, culture, legacy and ethnic background. There surely has to be some evil sounding word out there to describe that.

209813[/snapback]

Supremacist?

"bling" is over rated. And a stupid word.

208537[/snapback]

Yes...it's a term I associate with subliterate hip-hop 'artists' (I use that word very lightly)...

Jaguar is about sophisticated, classy luxury, not gauche 'bling' trash...

On a similar theme, how about the situation with TVR? Pretty sad..it was a long-time small, very British builder of quirky sports cars.. it was sold to a Russian kid... he's now shutting down the UK plant (after promising to build a new UK plant) and claims to be going to continue production in Eastern Europe or Russia... TVR is basically going to lose it's brand equity, which is tied up in it's Britishness...

There was this XJ parked near the office last week: metallic blue with the "Champagne and Mocha" interior. Timeless beauty!!!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.