Opel Astra Sedan unveiled

Seems like I saw this on C&G somewhere already, but it should be in the Saturn section as well...

We already know that the Opel Astra will appear here in the US as the next Saturn Ion.

Opel has unveiled a new Astra sedan for "growth markets," particularly Eastern Europe, where like the US, there is a demand for the notchbacks...

this car and the Brazilian-market Chevrolet Vectra sedan are one and the same, so despite Opel releasing only two photos, we can show you what the car looks like from every angle.

Article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/20/opel-as...new-saturn-ion/

Is it my imagination or do the first few pics (Opel badged) look like it has a different front fascia on it more resembling Aura/Vectra & Astra(hatch) while the ones below (Chevy badged) have more of Cobalt style headlights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is it my imagination or do the first few pics (Opel badged) look like it has a different front fascia on it more resembling Aura/Vectra & Astra(hatch) while the ones below (Chevy badged) have more of Cobalt style headlights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

207357[/snapback]

two different cars for different markets are shown over at autoblog. one is the astra sedan for europe [and us] and the other is the brazilian market vectra sedan. they are the same cars with slightly different front fascias, the vectra retained the look of the old astra a little and yet changed names to capitalize on success of old vectra [doesn't make sense to me either]. the top car with the aura like front fascia will be what we get

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. Aside from the taillights, it looks like a Cobalt Sedan whose owner got a gift certificate to JC Whitney. It's better than the Ion, but there's still something awkward about it. The 3dr hatch is much sexier.

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. Aside from the taillights, it looks like a Cobalt Sedan whose owner got a gift certificate to JC Whitney. It's better than the Ion, but there's still something awkward about it. The 3dr hatch is much sexier.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.. I'm really hoping that the US/Euro front end is much different from the Brazillian verion.

so, people who know more than me... what changes can we expect?

I'm going to guess:

a) slight interior change to include the standard NA corporate radio

b) NA Ecotec engines (will they drop the 2.2L and make the 2.4L base, with 2.0L super or turbo-charged for a Red Line verson?)

so, people who know more than me... what changes can we expect?

I'm going to guess:

a) slight interior change to include the standard NA corporate radio

b) NA Ecotec engines (will they drop the 2.2L and make the 2.4L base, with 2.0L super or turbo-charged for a Red Line verson?)

207496[/snapback]

I doubt we'll see too much of a change since it will be built in the same factory as the rest of the Astras. Could we see the NA radio? I really hope not but I've come to accept that as a strong possibility. GM needs to have all of the vehicles looking the same inside and out for Opel and Saturn.

207412[/snapback]

I agree. I think the exterior is odd but the interior, besides the nuclear plant control center-like center stack, is fairly nice. It's too bland for me, I guess. Classy, yes, but also on the bland side.

Clearly it will wear headlights that resemble the Aura, which in turn resemble the European Astra. In other words, no Brazilian front end, I don't know why there is any debate over this.

I think the Astra would be the best looking compact in the US market, sure it's not as dramatic as the Civic, but it's better resolved and with more attractive features, at least for now, will wait to see in flesh for final opinion.

The black center console is much more appealing to the eye than the silver faced one imo. If only the rest of the interior matched up with that face. Maybe if the black is paired up with the upper level trims with the tan interior and wood. Just noticed, even the steering wheel trim is matched with the center console, nice touch.

Edited by big blue

The black center console is much more appealing to the eye than the silver faced one imo. If only the rest of the interior matched up with that face. Maybe if the black is paired up with the upper level trims with the tan interior and wood. Just noticed, even the steering wheel trim is matched with the center console, nice touch.

208165[/snapback]

Autoblog's interior shots are the Brazilian Chevrolet Vectra. For powertrain reasons the Saturn version (if it comes to the US) will probably be sourced from Poland (interior shots at AutoReport). The delay in production (another 12 months) may even be to homologate European Astra sedans for the US market. The major visual change will be the center console, as the integrated audio controls are for the European RDS and telematics systems produced by Siemens.

Oh, and I'm also going to guess the NA standard 3-spoke steering wheel? :rolleyes:

GM, the current 3-spoke looks nice, but I don't like 3-spoke steering wheels! I like to have one hand at 6 o'clock when holding speed down a straight road, like the interstate.

*edit*

oh, and what's with that stupid little oval pass-through between the trunk & rear seats? Is that for structural reasons? I like a wide open... opening.

Edited by PurdueGuy

*sigh* I assumed so. But I was hoping we wouldn't get the standard parts bin center console unit again.

208459[/snapback]

here's to hoping GM starts spending money on the headunits and starts differentiating at LEAST then faceplates more. give us brand specific head units and just more variation in general.

give us brand specific head units and just more variation in general.

208515[/snapback]

...but please not just the same crappy looking radio with "Pontiac" printed on it somewhere. Come to think of it... don't put the brand name on it. Make it work with the interior of the car, or the style of the brand, but don't bother printing that crap on there, IMO.

here's to hoping GM starts spending money on the headunits and starts differentiating at LEAST then faceplates more. give us brand specific head units and just more variation in general.

208515[/snapback]

...but please not just the same crappy looking radio with "Pontiac" printed on it somewhere.  Come to think of it... don't put the brand name on it.  Make it work with the interior of the car, or the style of the brand, but don't bother printing that crap on there, IMO.

208517[/snapback]

Like doing what Toyota does...and Honda and Nissan. I love the integrated center stack.

Integrated is nice, but so is a decent branded audio system - not just Bose or Harmon Kardon speakers, but a branded interface, as Ford does with the new European Focus (Sony). Good brands that make people think "cool"— Sony, Bose, Bang and Olufsen, Carver etc., and which match the vehicle character.

208515[/snapback]

This was done up until rather recently.

Saturn

Posted Image

Chevrolet

Posted Image

Pontiac

Posted Image

Oldsmobile

Posted Image

Buick

Posted Image

Cadillac

Posted Image

This was done up until rather recently.

Saturn

Posted Image

Chevrolet

Posted Image

Pontiac

Posted Image

Oldsmobile

Posted Image

Buick

Posted Image

Cadillac

Posted Image

208645[/snapback]

yes but these are terribly terribly terribly unoriginal, uninspired boxes of $h!ty plastic that don't translate any character whatsoever.

thank you for your point though.

Integrated is nice, but so is a decent branded audio system - not just Bose or Harmon Kardon speakers, but a branded interface, as Ford does with the new European Focus (Sony). Good brands that make people think "cool"— Sony, Bose, Bang and Olufsen, Carver etc., and which match the vehicle character.

208610[/snapback]

Dynaudio!

The upgraded system in the EOS sounds great.

yes but these are terribly terribly terribly unoriginal, uninspired boxes of $h!ty plastic that don't translate any character whatsoever.

thank you for your point though.

208722[/snapback]

Putting all those units together makes them look so much worse than separated heh.

208722[/snapback]

Want to know what's worse?

Posted Image

That's out of a 2006 model car. And it ain't domestic.

Posted Image

208768[/snapback]

Man, that POS looks straight from a car in India, which I drove when I was on an assignment there last year. I laughed my ass to death, thinking what would people do if it was here. But alas, here it goes.

:withstupid:

Am I alone with actually liking the corporate radio design?

208844[/snapback]

I liked it, when it first came out...on the first 10 cars...

It's old news and it's a tired design. AT least DCX changes there stereo faceplate...it may not look the greatest (it should be integrated) but the new technology is sweet.

I also like the design but it's just showing up on too many cars in too many different price ranges which is the truly annoying part. Especially if say the unit is placed in a 30k car and then you happen to jump into a Cobalt and notice it has the exact same looking radio.

Boy that sure shows how special your new 30 grand car truly is doesn't it? It's not that big of a deal, but it's starting to grow into an epidemic of GM corporate radios sprouting up in all sorts of vehicles which detracts from the uniqueness of each car.

Posted Image

208768[/snapback]

I was going to guess Subaru Outback, but they redesigned for '06, apparently. Here's from an '05:

Posted Image

Headunits like this just look embarrassingly crappy.

• 2 weeks later...

The sedan looks a little too close to the Cobalt (A-C-pillar) for my tastes, but the rear door window kink seems a little more pronounced in the Opel Astra sedan.

I hope GM is smart enough to bring the 3/5-door/sedan and wagon of the Astra over.