Another Jerry Flint Column to Outrage Everyone

ehaase

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about because they appreciate a dynamic, quality product that's thoroughly competitive with an American edge?

If they didn't appreciate this when they were younger, why would they when they are older? You are betting on changing priorities when it comes to car purchases. They aren't just going to wake up one day and say, "I'm going to buy American from now on."

You're still not being realistic.

>>"You're still not being realistic."<<

No; you're not getting it. Cadillac has changed drastically. The average age has dropped notably and sales have shot up dramatically in the last 8-some years. This is not a coincidence nor a random occurance. It is younger consumers reacting to a now completely competitive product. That wasn't there for the most part 10 years ago. THAT is what is and what will continue to draw consumers to the marque.

>>"If they didn't appreciate this when they were younger, why would they when they are older?"<<

Because the product has changed drastically, and for the better! It's a brand new ballgame.

>>"They aren't just going to wake up one day and say, "I'm going to buy American from now on.""<<

But for some reason you seem to think they'll say 'I'm not going to buy that attractive, driver-oriented sport sedan because it's American.'

I think being realistic is looking at Caddy's future direction and GM's willingness and ability to invest in the brand. There's no new product coming soon, apart from CTS No. 2 and a refreshed STS.

The CTS and Escalade attract conquest buyers, but the STS, SRX, XLR, and DTS aren't up to the task.

I think we all agree that Cadillac has changed significantly but still have a long way to go.

We can all guess at what will or will not happen in the future, but I wouldn't call that "reality".

Here's another point to ponder: BMW, mercedes and lexus sales have all been on a steady increase for many years. Meanwhile, Cadillac was on a steady decline for many years, coming off the luxury segment volume record (that has yet to be even approached).... but Cadillac reversed that trend completely, posting larger volume percentage gains than it's competitors in recent years, I am certain. That alone speaks volumes for the degree of change at Cadillac vs. the competition.

the cts has exceeded most expectations in all facets. sales, racing, owners satisfaction. cadillac should have and should go the whole nine yards

across the line and smack it out of the park.

the new cts will be shown in detroit this jan.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pb...D=2006611080356

and when you look at where cadillac was 10 yrs ago and where they are now its nothing to sneeze at...they just pussed out a little when they shouldve pushed a little.

even so, i cant believe anyone is too upset about the progress made so far.

leaps and bounds.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

leaps and bounds.

213600[/snapback]

But it's not really "leaps and bounds."

I love my CTS.....but there's nothing that would put me into an STS or a DTS. I don't think you can call two successful products (CTS and Escalade) as "leaps and bounds."

Don't get me wrong....Cadillac HAS come a long way. I just don't want to "excuse" them into "mediocrity."

They need to execute their lineup 100%.....if they are truly to become the global premium player that they desire....

But it's not really "leaps and bounds."

I love my CTS.....but there's nothing that would put me into an STS or a DTS.  I don't think you can call two successful products (CTS and Escalade) as "leaps and bounds."

Don't get me wrong....Cadillac HAS come a long way.  I just don't want to "excuse" them into "mediocrity."

They need to execute their lineup 100%.....if they are truly to become the global premium player that they desire....

213636[/snapback]

• 1 month later...

If they didn't appreciate this when they were younger, why would they when they are older? You are betting on changing priorities when it comes to car purchases. They aren't just going to wake up one day and say, "I'm going to buy American from now on."

You're still not being realistic.

212758[/snapback]

When you say people are going to buy a competitive car because it has an American edge, you are assuming they would prefer an American car over a foreign car, no?

I don't believe that many people buy cars this way. I don't believe they put any weight towards "nationality" of a car. For this reason, GM is going to have to make their cars above and beyond the competition to GIVE people a reason to switch. Make it more feature rich, make it more affordable, etc. Assuming their cars are simply competitive, I don't think that being American will be that reason.

Edited by bcs296

While I agree that he needs to stop beign a whinny b!tch

and twisting around certain details, he makes some very

intersting points.

Cadillac failed to build a serious rear-drive large car. They did well by making the CTS rear-drive, but that's not a large car. Cadillac has two larger car models, the front-drive DTS and the rear-drive STS, which actually isn't so large. What they need is to do a great rear-drive car with take-your-breath-away looks. One model, not two. But GM isn't willing to invest. The fact is Cadillac never recovered from the GM decision to go front-drive, a mistake they have yet to correct.

Yes, agreed 100%

There was one exciting Cadillac design: the Sixteen show car. Of course, they aren't building it.

The SIXTEEN should have been aproved for limited production, like

700-1000 or so units, the day it was shown at the 2003 auto show.

If GM does not build that car, exactly as shown in concept form then

they're just &@%#$ing stupid. If someone offers you $10,000,000

for something you can mass produce for about $500,000 and you

do not take it as a sign from above then you're just plain dumb.

Edited by Sixty8panther

>>"Cadillac failed to build a serious rear-drive large car. They did well by making the CTS rear-drive, but that's not a large car. Cadillac has two larger car models, the front-drive DTS and the rear-drive STS, which actually isn't so large. What they need is to do a great rear-drive car with take-your-breath-away looks. One model, not two. But GM isn't willing to invest. The fact is Cadillac never recovered from the GM decision to go front-drive, a mistake they have yet to correct.

"<<

CTS: RWD

SRX: RWD or AWD

STS: RWD or AWD

DTS: FWD

XLR: RWD

ESC: RWD or AWD

I cannot agree that Cadillac has not reccovered from going FWD- how could I in light of the above? If the RWD chassis' were sh!t and the driving dynamics were sh!t, then I could, but that's clearly not the case. CMCD has recovered- the existance of 1 FWD model does not disprove that.

>>"There was one exciting Cadillac design: the Sixteen show car. Of course, they aren't building it."<<

And if a $120K Cadillac does not sell to expectations, would that fact be overlooked by the media, as is the case with the mercedes-bach, or would it be trumpeted in article after article how 'Cadillac still doesn't get it' or 'Cadillac faltering with another bad move'?

A Sixteen-caliber vehicle will come, when the time is right. Now is not the time, yet.