Spied: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe [updated 11/21]

Variance

Spied: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Posted Image

A member on Car and Driver's forums snapped these pics of the new Altima Coupe. I'm guessing this will be released in mid to late 2007 as a 2008 model. The pics are somewhat small and a bit blurry but from what I can see, it's much nicer than the bubbly in comparison Accord and the just plain wierd Solara.

Read "New Altima Coupe" @ Car and Driver Forums

*Update at post #48.

Proportioning seems to dictate no. And, honestly, I don't find it attractive. I also don't find the G35 coupe or 350Z attractive either. Yeah, I suck, I'm ghey, I'm a 'tard, whatever. I just don't.

A coupe is supposed to be long, wide, low, and sleek. These cars are merely low and wide, which makes them look pudgy, frogish, or have big unadorned wraparound fender panels that remind me of hovercrafts.

So, I'll be weird in my corner I guess.

Man, I hope the coupe market is coming back. This, the Fusion, the Focus, and others are getting coupes...the G6 has a coupe, Cobalt has a coupe, etc. I remember a few years ago when it seemed like the coupe market was on the verge of dying.

Now they just need to bring back the full-sized coupes...although I doubt that's going to happen.

Man, I hope the coupe market is coming back.  This, the Fusion, the Focus, and others are getting coupes...the G6 has a coupe, Cobalt has a coupe, etc.  I remember a few years ago when it seemed like the coupe market was on the verge of dying.

Now they just need to bring back the full-sized coupes...although I doubt that's going to happen.

207592[/snapback]

The Fusion is getting a coupe?

From Left Lane News:

Ford is considering offering a two-door version of its popular Fusion sedan, according to the latest issue of Motor Trend. Specific details of the program were not given, but the magazine reckons a Lincoln equivalent in the form of an MKZ coupe is also in the pipeline.

Proportioning seems to dictate no. And, honestly, I don't find it attractive. I also don't find the G35 coupe or 350Z attractive either. Yeah, I suck, I'm ghey, I'm a 'tard, whatever. I just don't.

A coupe is supposed to be long, wide, low, and sleek. These cars are merely low and wide, which makes them look pudgy, frogish, or have big unadorned wraparound fender panels that remind me of hovercrafts.

So, I'll be weird in my corner I guess.

207561[/snapback]

Weirdo.

This car is just plain beautiful. I hate Japanese cars except for Nissan and newer Mazdas. I was always a fan for the G35C but this flows better to my liking. The G6 coupe is going to have a good run against this. I think this will prevail in the end compared to the G6 coupe. I am not that big of a fan of it but the Nissan is unbelieveable. I never even heard any rumours about an Altima Coupe. Nissan can keep things quiet.

Man, I hope the coupe market is coming back.  This, the Fusion, the Focus, and others are getting coupes...the G6 has a coupe, Cobalt has a coupe, etc.  I remember a few years ago when it seemed like the coupe market was on the verge of dying.

I heard somewhere saying that the DCX midsizes (Seebring, Avenger) were not getting any coupes. And they said there was no market for coupes.. :nono: Now, only if Subaru would do this to the Impreza and Legacy.

As for the Altima, I like it.. though, G6 coupe is the first on my list.

Edited by Decka

So this is just a reskinned G35? Do they really need it if they already have the 350z? It just doesn't seem right. It looks good for sure, but it just seems too small and sporty to make a good mid-size coupe. Maybe this is the replacement for the 350z haha :AH-HA_wink:

So this is just a reskinned G35? Do they really need it if they already have the 350z? It just doesn't seem right. It looks good for sure, but it just seems too small and sporty to make a good mid-size coupe. Maybe this is the replacement for the 350z haha  :AH-HA_wink:

207720[/snapback]

As stated above, it is not a RWD car and it should be quite a bit roomier than the G35. It may have a overall similar shape but the actual size should be larger than the G coupe.

As stated above, it is not a RWD car and it should be quite a bit roomier than the G35. It may have a overall similar shape but the actual size should be larger than the G coupe.

207722[/snapback]

Do we know for sure it is based off of the Atima Sedan? It's hard to tell how big it is from those pictures.

Well, I like it. I'm not a huge fan of the current gen Accord coupe, and I've NEVER liked the Solara and will be glad to see it go. Love the G6 Coupe (woman at work has the convertible--in white, it's sweet), and will be happy to see one of these on the road.

Spied: 2008(?) Nissan Altima Coupe

A member on Car and Driver's forums snapped these pics of the new Altima Coupe. I'm guessing this will be released in mid to late 2007 as a 2008 model. The pics are somewhat small and a bit blurry but from what I can see, it's much nicer than the bubbly in comparison Accord and the just plain wierd Solara.

It is the Altima coupe (and as nearly everyone has said, it's FWD). It will enter production in April 2007.

Damn sexy Datsun. <_<

That's a great looking car. What's the horsepower on the Nissan V6? The G6 coupe has a worthy adversary in this car.

Monte Carlo could succeed in this class on Epsilon, the Camaro can cover the RWD faithful. Think about it, it used to be based on Malibu. With the smashing new 'Bu coming, here's a chance to sharpen up the Monte Carlo nameplate.

Damn sexy Datsun. <_<

That's a great looking car.  What's the horsepower on the Nissan V6?  The G6 coupe has a worthy adversary in this car.

Monte Carlo could succeed in this class on Epsilon, the Camaro can cover the RWD faithful.  Think about it, it used to be based on Malibu.  With the smashing new 'Bu coming, here's a chance to sharpen up the Monte Carlo nameplate.

207916[/snapback]

God knows the MOnte Carlo needs all the help it can get.

Looks good and since I like the G35, then I like this Altima coupe. I wonder what the point is with the 350Z in the lineup, other the the Altima coupe being FWD. Perhaps for those that want the look of the G35 but can't afford one are the intended market. It will interesting too see how the sales will work out and if it cannibalizes sales from both the G35 and 350Z from people who do not know anything about cars ie: FWD vs RWD.

Looks good and since I like the G35, then I like this Altima coupe. I wonder what the point is with the 350Z in the lineup, other the the Altima coupe being FWD. Perhaps for those that want the look of the G35 but can't afford one are the intended market. It will interesting too see how the sales will work out and if it cannibalizes sales from both the G35 and 350Z from people who do not know anything about cars ie: FWD vs RWD.

208160[/snapback]

I don't see the 350Z having a problem. It's a two-seater sports car, vastly different from an Altima coupe. To a lesser extent, I don't see it stepping on the G coupe's toes too much, either; it's still pretty sport-oriented itself.

A lot of G6, and blows the Solara into the water.

I don't see the 350Z having a problem. It's a two-seater sports car, vastly different from an Altima coupe. To a lesser extent, I don't see it stepping on the G coupe's toes too much, either; it's still pretty sport-oriented itself.

208202[/snapback]

Not to mention the price difference. I can assure that nobody will buy this thing if it's anywhere near the price of a G35 coupe. Edited by ToniCipriani

I'm with Siegen, I'm still not convinced this is an Altima coupe. Makes absolutely no sense to have a car that is so similarly looking as the 350Z in the same dealerships. My first guess would be simply that this is a facelifted version of the 350Z. Unless I missed reading it somewhere, where did it ever say the car in the pictures was FWD?

Besides the credibility of the original poster in the Car & Driver forum is questionable. He was a brand new member and it was his first post. Sounds more like an average person walking down the street past a photo shoot at the credit union and snapped off some pics from his cell phone. Unless he was part of the film crew.

With that being said, If you are all convinced this is really a FWD Altima coupe, then my only explanation would be that since the Skyline is coming as a Nissan in what '08/'09(?), then they would use the successful styling of the 350Z as a new Altima Coupe to keep sales up. The Skyline therefore would then eliminate the current 350Z. Which would then also mean that the Skyline would not be priced too far out of reach (read: similar to base Corvette), as not to impose on Infiniti territory.

I'm with Siegen, I'm still not convinced this is an Altima coupe.  Makes absolutely no sense to have a car that is so similarly looking as the 350Z in the same dealerships.  My first guess would be simply that this is a facelifted version of the 350Z.  Unless I missed reading it somewhere, where did it ever say the car in the pictures was FWD?

It's very hard to tell I admit but looking real closely at the pictures, there looks to be back seats. The 350Z does not have back seats and Nissan will not make a 350Z with back seats because then that's putting a hurting on the G coupe.

Also, the 2007 Z (which looks mostly like the 2006) hasn't even reached dealers yet. They would not be doing a photo shoot of a redesigned, finished product Z this soon.

I had always thought that the new Altima sedan looked like a four-door 350Z, so I guess it stands to reason an Altima coupe would look like a two-door 350Z.

Nissan all but publicly stated that they were going to make an Altima coupe with this generation so it stands to reason this would be it.

Besides the credibility of the original poster in the Car & Driver forum is questionable.  He was a brand new member and it was his first post.  Sounds more like an average person walking down the street past a photo shoot at the credit union and snapped off some pics from his cell phone.  Unless he was part of the film crew.

We've had brand-new members post new spy photos right here on C&G. It was a set of Chrysler Sebring photos. Just because they're new doesn't mean they don't have credible info.

With that being said, If you are all convinced this is really a FWD Altima coupe, then my only explanation would be that since the Skyline is coming as a Nissan in what '08/'09(?), then they would use the successful styling of the 350Z as a new Altima Coupe to keep sales up.  The Skyline therefore would then eliminate the current 350Z.  Which would then also mean that the Skyline would not be priced too far out of reach (read: similar to base Corvette), as not to impose on Infiniti territory.

208390[/snapback]

Couple of problems with that theory:

-I can guarantee the Z isn't going anywhere. A car that was the best-selling sports car in the country (and still sells in respectable numbers today)? Nissan isn't doing away with that.

-I can also say with certainty that the GTR (not going to be called "Skyline") is not going to be priced below $60K. It's expected to have 911 Turbo (beating?) performance at a fraction of the cost but the exclusive platform, engine and other technology means this isn't going to be a cheap car, either.

Datsun has a history of using styling cues from their hottest cars on their less intense products, same as many other manufacturers. It looks like an Altima coupe to me, and it is a fine looking car. I need bigger photos and some interior shots.

The Pontiac is sensual and romantic, as it should be, this is hot in a different way. Both are worthy of consideration.

I'm with Siegen, I'm still not convinced this is an Altima coupe.  Makes absolutely no sense to have a car that is so similarly looking as the 350Z in the same dealerships.  My first guess would be simply that this is a facelifted version of the 350Z.  Unless I missed reading it somewhere, where did it ever say the car in the pictures was FWD? 

There is an Altima coupe starting production in April of 2007. Whether or not this is it is open for debate, but there is a coupe coming.

As for the FWD nature, there are styling characteristics that can denote FWD. The position of the windshield and front bumper in relation to the front wheels can tell you much.

I, personally, believe that the vehicle pictured is different enough from the G35 and (absolutely different enough) from the 350Z to allow it to be sold along side them.

Besides the credibility of the original poster in the Car & Driver forum is questionable.  He was a brand new member and it was his first post.  Sounds more like an average person walking down the street past a photo shoot at the credit union and snapped off some pics from his cell phone.  Unless he was part of the film crew. 

With that being said, If you are all convinced this is really a FWD Altima coupe, then my only explanation would be that since the Skyline is coming as a Nissan in what '08/'09(?), then they would use the successful styling of the 350Z as a new Altima Coupe to keep sales up.  The Skyline therefore would then eliminate the current 350Z.  Which would then also mean that the Skyline would not be priced too far out of reach (read: similar to base Corvette), as not to impose on Infiniti territory.

208390[/snapback]

Uh...

It's obviously an Altima coupe. it looks nothing like the Z, which was just refreshed, and it looks plenty different from the G35.

It's pretty obvious that this is an Altima, and as such it's FWD. Being that it's FWD it won't interfere with Z sales.

208588[/snapback]

Exactly. If you can't see that it's obviously an Altima, you must be blind. The entire front end is exactly the same as the Altima sedan... Like the G6 coupe and sedan. If that doesn't give it away, how about the FWD proportions? Or the slight sight of a back seat? ...Yeah, it's the Altima coupe. No doubt about it.

208202[/snapback]

Yes I agree, i somehow forgot the Altima coupe will be a 2+2. Silly me.

• 4 weeks later...

F**k that, give us a new Silvia (240sx)

Anohter FWD three box two-door sedan does NOT excite me! <_<

This is what Nissan needs. (or a new version of it)

Posted Image

Posted Image