Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2007 G5 review

"New for 2007, the Pontiac G5 coupe delivers Pontiac performance and style in a compact package that offers a surprising degree of standard and optional features in an entry-level model..."

This is from a new exclusive review on the 2007 new Pontiac G5. You can read about it's history, features and performance, and also view a photo gallery with the coupe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Read the whole article here: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/pontiac/pontiac-g5-ar11669.html

It's not really using blue lettering on the stereo unit, is it?

Tell me they needed to snap that photo last minute and had to use the Chevy version of the radio because a Pontiac radio wasn't on hand...

That's tacky.

208000[/snapback]

I just noticed that...it's pathetic! They could AT LEASST make the readouts red. <_<

Counting down til this thing gets pulled off the market...

I understand this car is necessary for the P/B/G retail channel, but GM should really rush a Pontiac compact that benefits the BRAND as well as the dealers. Luckily, the G5 is based on a solid budget-car entry, so not a lot of damage can be done.

But in order to attract a different market than Chevy as well as increase Pontiac brand equity, a sporty, stylish, and more powerful entry is needed. Think Subaru Impreza/WRX - the car clearly has its own footing in the marketplace and is part of the brand's identity. Hopefully, Pontiac can have something like that - soon. Let Chevy appeal to the masses.

Agreed. I like the carbon fiber trim and the solstice steering wheel

207698[/snapback]

Considering the Cobalt has the same steering wheel...

I sense a GTO vibe from the overall package.  Coincidence?

207964[/snapback]

Posted Image

Pontiac's photography does wonders.

I just noticed that...it's pathetic! They could AT LEASST make the readouts red. <_<

208003[/snapback]

Yeah... The backlighting is red, but not the radio displays. Pathetic, yes. Solstice is the same way, I think.

it should be rear drive, body on frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:  :banghead:

208058[/snapback]

Rear drive would be nice, but I don't think you're ever going to see a body on frame car again. The only body on frame car platform on the market is Panther, isn't it?

Guest YellowJacket894

I sat in one of these and actually walked away impressed. I found it odd it gave me a different vibe from the Cobalt.

It's a shame GM won't stick the 2.0L Turbo or S'Charged in this car. Then it would rank pretty high on my want list.

I sat in one of these and actually walked away impressed. I found it odd it gave me a different vibe from the Cobalt.

It's a shame GM won't stick the 2.0L Turbo or S'Charged in this car. Then it would rank pretty high on my want list.

208359[/snapback]

I thought it'd be fun if they stuck a light pressure turbo in the Pontiac, and kept the Cobalt's SS Supercharger.

It'd make for some differentiation between the two vehicles and allow for some friendly competition.

Edited by Captainbooyah

"Should be RWD BOF"???

There were never any RWD BOF compact cars, ever. Where does one think they were back in the day??? The G5 is the successor to the Pontiac Sunbird, [and Astre], which were not BOF at all!!

The 'compact' F and X [Nova family] RWD cars had a sub frame and were not pure BOF. And in today's measurements, are mid-sized cars.

Guest YellowJacket894

The Chevette was a rear-drive compact car.

The Kappa cars, although they are roadsters, are rear-drive compacts.

The BMW 1-Series is a rear-drive compact.

I know that those cars aren't BOF, but I shouldn't need to go any further with the list of rear-drive compact cars, should I?

The only way I could possibly support a BOF car today is if it were mid-size or large-and that's a big if, considering Zeta is coming. The moreI've thought about it, the more it makes sense to me. No, its not differentiated from Cobalt as much as it should be, but think about it-was the 1982-94 Sunbird really that differentiated from Cavalier? The 1995-99 Sunfire sedans? (Less so for 2000-02), although the coupes were generally pretty different-looking from Cavalier.

No, its not differentiated from Cobalt as much as it should be, but think about it-was the 1982-94 Sunbird really that differentiated from Cavalier? The 1995-99 Sunfire sedans? (Less so for 2000-02), although the coupes were generally pretty different-looking from Cavalier.

211189[/snapback]

The Sunbird and Sunfire were both more differentiated from the Cavalier than the G5 is from the Cobalt. Especially the coupes, as you said. Atleast those all looked like Pontiacs. This looks like a Cobalt with poorly done nose-job.

The worst problem I have with this car is the lack of a performance engine option in a Pontiac! The Chevy has the performance option but the Pontiac excitement division does not! Whoever made this decision should be hung by his nuts for 24 hours!

210357[/snapback]

ah that would be czar maximum product guru hollywood bob

Im alright with the front of this car, compared to the over the top Sunfire or Bird (whatever) that preceded it. Its the taillights that need help, I think they could somehow do better than that. Maybe write a letter to the czar max guru........ :unsure:

Back a generation or two there was very little physical difference between Sunfire and Cavalier.

The idea about putting the DI turbo in this is excellent but might twist the FWD transaxle so a mildly turbo'd as stated would be the right thing to do. Even if it did get Chevy all twisted in a tight little bunch.........."got your ears on there Hollywood Max ? "

Pontiac needed this car size/price but the GM dream team already removed Pontiac from the radar in this segment. I think there was a song written once about "asleep at the wheel".............. :ohyeah:

Edited by razoredge

Maybe they're waiting for the turbo version of the Ecotec for the G5 GXP. A quick additional differentiator would be a selection of unique spoilers for the Pontiac instead of direct clones of the Chevy. Make them dealer-installed for those of us who will refuse them altogether.

• 4 weeks later...

Counting down til this thing gets pulled off the market...

I understand this car is necessary for the P/B/G retail channel, but GM should really rush a Pontiac compact that benefits the BRAND as well as the dealers.  Luckily, the G5 is based on a solid budget-car entry, so not a lot of damage can be done.

But in order to attract a different market than Chevy as well as increase Pontiac brand equity, a sporty, stylish, and more powerful entry is needed.  Think Subaru Impreza/WRX - the car clearly has its own footing in the marketplace and is part of the brand's identity.  Hopefully, Pontiac can have something like that - soon.  Let Chevy appeal to the masses.

208099[/snapback]

MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!!

But the G5 is a nice car nonetheless... My GF really likes it and I like certain aspects of it better than the Cobalt.

• 3 weeks later...

Why isn't the radio display RED?????

What about the rest of the instruments? Are they green just like to Cobalt's too? If so, ugh. Mega-badge job.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Pontiac dealers still compete with Chevy, thinking it is still the 70's/80's. Then we got the Ventura, Astre, Sunbird, and T1000

By the time of X-body Ventura and the H-body Sunbird, those respective models weren't intended to be Chevy-only.