Sign in to follow this  
Member55

2007 Ford Edge Road Test/ Automobile

9 posts in this topic

mustang84    12

That was a really positive, well-written review...and it's good to see that 20,000 people have already placed orders.

sciguy_0504    0

It's a great review for what seems to be a home run. I think the 20,000 cars were bought by dealers, not by actual customers as of yet.

regfootball    234

First of all, however, lets do a little backgrounder. You may not be aware, but the Edge marks the first application of Fords all-new 3.5-liter V6, dubbed Duratec 35.

wrong

the MKz, Zephyr got the duratec 35 first. The CX-9 if its out has it too.

Funny thing, though, while spending the afternoon in Fords new crossover, the last thing I found myself thinking about was saving money. Certainly its priced well compared to its Japanese competitors. A comparable Murano costs thousands more, while a Toyota Highlander is outclassed in most respects. Hondas Pilot is a different class, being a larger seven-seater, and lets face it... neither Japanese competitor can match the Edges styling. Mazdas CX-7 is extremely hot looking for a crossover, and will pose a threat for sure, but once again it will attract a different kind of buyer thanks to its peaky turbocharged four-cylinder and edgier driving dynamics. As for Mitsubishis Endeavor, its a great vehicle as regular readers of our long-term 2005 model will already appreciate, but it hardly can rate as a threat due to virtual anonymity in the market. More visible is Chevys Equinox, but it doesnt really measure up when comparing performance, features or refinement. Certainly Hyundai poses a strong argument with its new Santa Fe, but I dont think Ford is too worried about its Korean competitor just yet. The Edge, rather, is more powerful, bolder in design and is filled up with features that Americans want.

Edited by regfootball

Northstar    11

20,000 orders doesn't mean 20,000 customers. Sure, some of them are probably for customers, but there are almost 4000 Ford dealerships... if each one orders on average 5 (I'm sure some will order 1 or 2 and some 10-20 but it would average out) then that's 20,000 orders.

It will be interesting to see how the Lambdas are compared to the Edge. he Oulook shouldn't be much more judging from he Acadia's price, so i will be interesting to see how they compare.

turbo200    6

The Edge is turning out to be very attractive. One thing of key importance with the design being so high note, colors need to be equally bold, hopefully Ford has picked the right shades, dramatic and conservative alike, like the Civic does very well. I hope it's not a boring collection of silvers and reds and blues. Interior quality at Ford is rising, and this seems to be yet another example where they outshine GM in interior quality/fit. I know what kind of materials he is talking about, and if the Sierra is any indication, GM hasn't come far enough. Escalade seems to be there, mostly, from my short time in it, but the rest are still behind, except for a few here and there.

red    0

Good to hear positive things about the Edge. This product has GOT to be a knockout - as both the Edge and the Fusion will be carrying Ford for a while.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this