Monte Carlo days numbered?

Looks like Chevy has finally given up on being the only 2 door car in NA$CAR. I know the market is small, but I still see quite a few Monte's on the road around here. I've lost my love of NA$CAR racing since they started with the Ford Taurus in '98 and was glad that Chevy stayed true to the 2 door "stock" car. Looks like time has run out.

If anyone knows the status of the production Monte, I would appreciate it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=A...=yhoo&type=lgns

So Dodge is taking the Charger out and replacing it with the Mini-Charger... And Chevy's taking out the Monte Carlo and replacing it with the Impala.

All that pretty much indicates is new head- and tail-light stickers on the Dodge NASCAR blobs, and new taillight stickers on the Chevy NASCAR blobs.

The article suggests that "unlike its Dodge counterpart, the Impala SS will only be used by Chevrolet teams for their Car of Tomorrow". I don't follow nor care for NASCAR so I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Someone enlighten the readers.

So Dodge is taking the Charger out and replacing it with the Mini-Charger...  And Chevy's taking out the Monte Carlo and replacing it with the Impala.

All that pretty much indicates is new head- and tail-light stickers on the Dodge NASCAR blobs, and new taillight stickers on the Chevy NASCAR blobs.

The article suggests that "unlike its Dodge counterpart, the Impala SS will only be used by Chevrolet teams for their Car of Tomorrow".  I don't follow nor care for NASCAR so I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.  Someone enlighten the readers.

208118[/snapback]

*sigh* Not exactly. The refreshed 2006 MC dictated new front and rears on the Chevy NASCAR "blobs". Changing it to the Impala would likely dictate an all new body. Same with the Dodge. I may not like how far from stock the NASCAR bodies/etc. are, but let's not ignore reality, like so many NASCAR haters do.

Anyways, being that it's on the "Car of Tomorrow", it's guaranteed. FYI, the COT is an all new design for the NASCAR "blobs", to make them safer for the driver with more in-cabin room and aerodynamic differences. It's also supposed to eliminate the need to have so many different cars for all the different tracks. It's hard to explain without pics... so...

Posted Image

Posted Image

To be brief...

the Monte Carlo is the current bocy for Chevy in NASCAR. The COT (car of tomarrow) is a newly designed car strictly for NASCAR. It has a larger green house for the driver and the seat is moved further towards the middle of the car for driver safety. The second and main reason for the new car design is for less aerodynamic dependency. Unfortunately it does not look anything like a stock car any more.

but i digress...

The COT will be slowly integrated into the entire race season for the span of about three or four years. First they will do super speedway races, then probably the regular intermediate size tracks, then short track. (not necessarily in that order)

so next season you will basically see a few races where it is the Impala SS and not the Monte Carlo SS :nono:

i completely disagree with the move! But what the hell do in know anyways

i hope that cleared things up a little.

Meh, NASCAR sucks anyway...watching a bunch of look-alike cars going in circles for several hours isn't my idea of fun and excitement. Now Rally racing...that's cool.

208176[/snapback]

...yeahhh ...have fun with that mess. :stupid:

:lol: just kiddin, everyones got their own cup of tea. Rally just isnt mine.

The news here is the first indication the Monte is going away.

The race car is just stickers and some facia mods but not much change in the car.

As for the COT it will be hated by the drivers and fans till they run at Daytona with much larger plates and put on a better show with much more drafting like the truck have done for the last few years. In other words Montoya will pass more cars in one race than in 5 years of F1.

For those who had not read my earlier repost from Jayski.com on this topic, should note. The Bush [name to be changed] is still looking at the Camaro, Mustang, Challanger and Solara as the coupe series. They want the car to be different and have a different appeal. Now that all are slated for production the odds are better of this happening. I think this is the real news here as we all knew the Monte's days were numbered.

The 1st official hint the Monte Carlo was going away was when GM announced they were closing down half of Oshawa.

Monte Carlo is the slowest selling W-car. I don't believe that of all the cars being made there anyone would think that the Monte Carlo would be one of the W-cars to continue.

At this time I am glad the Monte Carlo is going to be dead. The car wasn't all that great and it was bound to be beaten by the Camaro anyways. As for Nascar, they should go back to their original roots. I liked the watching the old races with the aerodynamics race with the Superbirds and Daytonas. The 80s was good as well but ever since Dale Sr. passed it hasn't been the same. He was what I looked forward to in a race. He was the Intimidator and there was a reason for that. Now most racers are a bunch of pussies with the exception of a few. What's next, NASCAR being sponsored by Meow Mix? These Cars of Tomorrow are ugly as well. NASCAR is just going to be ignored by me now. Rallies are better.

1997 Z34.

We were already doing about 40 but then he punched it. I followed with the pedal to the floor. For a few moments, even at full throttle, he was pulling away from me, but in the end the CTS won. Dunno if he had mods other than the exhaust.

Yeah the early 80's 110 HP V6 G bodies sure were 'muscle cars' weren't they???

Some that were not around think all old RWD cars were 'high performance' cars. Most were slow mobiles, with base engines, maybe 150HP average. The famed RWD 1980's SS had only 180.

And those Monte Carlos that some claim to see 'everywhere' are probably 6-10 year old cars.

the car of tomorrow is just another marketing ploy by nascar. they know not all the manufacturers are going to stick around and the models wont all fit into their special template brand of racing.

its not for driver safetyh or anything else but an extension of their livelihood.

stickers and brands will only get you so far. i still only consider the last monte carlo the 1987 ish ones. even thought the new fwd ones have grown on me they still arent the monte carlo i think of.

im not too saddened by this, i just hope the next one if it comes back evokes the same fondeness the name deserves.

I heard that it is gone for 2008. Heck, they cheapened it some mor for 2007 with getting rid of the middle engine. The one I would get if I was getting one. I know too that everyone likes to think about the "good old days" but the truth is that the good old days werent always so good. Chicagoland is right. A lot of the old ones werent as great as people make them out to be. I liked my 2000 in the time I had it and one of the things I liked about it was how well it handled snow. The new SS with the 5.3 liter V8 will run circles around any old one that isnt modified. The best figure I see for the famed 1980's SS is 0-60 in the mid 8's. Heck, the 3.9 liter Monte Carlo can likely match that let alone the 5.3 liter V8 at what? about 5.5-6.0? We like to remember the old days but we need to be realistic.

the car of tomorrow is just another marketing ploy by nascar.  they know not all the manufacturers are going to stick around and the models wont all fit into their special template brand of racing.

its not for driver safetyh or anything else but an extension of their livelihood.

stickers and brands will only get you so far.  i still only consider the last monte carlo the 1987 ish ones.  even thought the new fwd ones have grown on me they still arent the monte carlo i think of.

im not too saddened by this,  i just hope the next one if it comes back evokes the same fondeness the name deserves.

208539[/snapback]

I agree with the Marketing ploy to a point. But my point is different. They are trying to keep the cars equal so they put on a great show but Aero push has made inpossible to let the cars race at some tracks. It has turned into a F1 race at some where no one can pass the leader becaust there is no air on the nose for down force of the second place car.

I have seen the COT at RCR last spring in the shop and it is not going to win ay freinds on looks, it will only win them, with close on track performance.

The fact is NASCAr need all the MFG to stay but if you take todays Monte, Charger and Ford they all fit the same template except for the nose.

So changing the bodies for any other reason except to keep the on track aero performanc close between mfg and safety is just not true. If any thing the MFG's are not happy with car that don't look like what they selll and lobbied for car that did look more like their own. The COT if anything may drive a MFG away than keep one in.

Nascar knows that you have to keep all the car competitive and cost down as that is why they have grown to be as large as they have. Every paying fan has come to see his driver have a chance to win. Unlike other series where only 1-3 cars have any chance.

It all about entertainment.

:( And so ends the last of the PLC's (Personal Luxury Coupes). I would like to see it go, and be replacced by a RWD model anyway. The Camaro targets extroverted drivers, a new Monte could offer a slightly tamer platform, more conservative (but not boring!) styling and plenty of power on tap!

I watch NASCAR, but hold no brand loyalty since they are running tube frames with NASCAR designed bodies and non-stock, carburated V-8's.

If you want to see great racing, check out the Grand Am series. Colbalt and CTS compete in it and the action is GREAT!

The death of the FWD Monte is long overdue.

To those who compare the performance of the 80's RWD car to the current one, it isn't about the relative performance of the two V8s separated by nearly two decades. Rather, it is about the configurations of the two cars themselves. Had the Monte continued as a RWD car into the times of the LT1 and the LSx engines there wouldn't even be a comparison to make. Ten years from now the 80's cars will live on, modded with more up to date powertrains and the FWDs will mostly be recycled.

The Monte Carlo name needs a long rest.

• 4 weeks later...

A certain "Mr. Monte Carlo" would argue that the MC has been dead for damn near 19 years now. :AH-HA_wink:

*grins*

Absolutely ;).

*sighs*

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"So much more aware" ... Linkin Park ... 'Numb'

*shakes head*

I liked my 2000 in the time I had it and one of the things I liked about it was how well it handled snow.

My RWD '87 MC LS handles just fine in the snow, too.

The new SS with the 5.3 liter V8 will run circles around any old one that isnt modified.  The best figure I see for the famed 1980's SS is 0-60 in the mid 8's.

So, you race everytime you drive? I could care less how fast the car goes....

We like to remember the old days but we need to be realistic.

...and that would mean what exactly?

if you want a monte carlo 2008 is the last year for it, the production capacity for this car will be taken over by the new camaro.. this is a very slow selling model. i wouldnt rule out a return of this car on Zeta in 2011 though, as a rebaded cheaper version of the next GTO also built at Oshwa.. or there may even be a two door impala when it moves to zeta..

It appears Monte Carlo is dead in 14 months.

208134[/snapback]

So if this is true, then that means that it will be alive, but barely, for the 2008 model year, or have an extended 2007. Its too bad MC is on the chopping block, but its not selling well, its aging, and the current car really doesn't offer much other than the wrongly-titled SS and nice paint colors.

if you want a monte carlo 2008 is the last year for it, the production capacity for this car will be taken over by the new camaro.. this is a very slow selling model. i wouldnt rule out a return of this car on Zeta in 2011 though, as a rebaded cheaper version of the next GTO also built at Oshwa.. or there may even be a two door impala when it moves to zeta..

218173[/snapback]

Production of the Monte Carlo ends in June 2007. There will be no 2008 model.

Monte Carlo name = good

FWD, W-body architecture = bad

• 3 weeks later...

Meh, NASCAR sucks anyway...watching a bunch of look-alike cars going in circles for several hours isn't my idea of fun and excitement. Now Rally racing...that's cool.

208176[/snapback]

Agreed. NASCAR has been lame since the late 70s.

Rally racing has always been AWSOME! :thumbsup:

Monte Carlo name = good

FWD, W-body architecture = bad

218304[/snapback]

This man right here hit the nail on the head. It is sad to see the old friend go though. Hmmm collector editions! Sad to see it go, I wouldn't be suprised if a two door Impala when it is RWD comes out. So will the first RWD GP's come across the ocean so Impala/LaCrosse production can go on or what is the deal?

Edited by gm4life

I definatly think too that there is room for a FWD coupe. Most people around here dont want to deal with RWD in the winter. The Monte Carlo has been a fair seller here. You see quite a few of them on the road.