In Praise of the Pontiac Aztek

TTAC

this should be interesting. i HATE the TTAC website. let's see what they have to say about my car.

The Aztek may have been a car lot pariah, but it was no Chevy Vega. There were no major recalls or horror stories involving melting engines. The model was as reliable as any GM vehicle of its time, cutting edge in many ways (CAD-CAM designed, red light dash, optional heads-up display), outdoorsy (could be converted into a camper, complete with built-in air compressor for your air mattress), lifestyle-oriented (racks for bikes, canoes, kayaks, etc.) and beloved (high scores on “CSI" owner surveys). Despite abuse from all quarters, the Aztek earned itself a group of passionate devotees. 

Even so, it bombed. So who exactly gets the blame for this so-called fiasco? Again, there's no denying that the engineers didn’t make it pretty, but they made it well. The UAW also gets a pass; GM built the Aztek (and Buick Rendezvous) in Mexico’s Ramos Arizpe plant. No, the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of GM's bean counters. That’s because the Aztek’s biggest problem wasn’t its confused looks (though they didn’t help). It was price

fair article overall. probably because it wasn't a Farago spouting off.

Edited by regfootball

55,000 miles in 26 months, no problems.....well ok, one problem. Replaced a wheel bearing under warranty. That's it.

otherwise, its probably been the best car we owned. We just put gas in it and drive it A LOT. It still has original tires and brakes. the tires may go to 65,000 miles. the interior flexibility is tremendous. its roomy and comfortable and quiet. The ride is very good. it gets good mpg for an SUV. it was inexpensive to buy. the interior is nicer than many vehicles today. The 3.4 v6 is gutsy in town, and they've got plenty of sound deadener in the thing, so its pretty quiet. The turning radius is tighter than many sedans. It feels solid like most north american GM products.

Shame its not the best looking because it excels in everything we've asked it to so far. My wife loves it and will likely never want to get rid of it.

Edited by regfootball

Looks was the downfall of the Aztek As it really was a decent vehicle.

Pice had nothing to do with it as we considered buying one as they were marked down new to $15,000 with all wheel drive and we could still not briong ourselves to buy one just because of looks.

When it came to price it was a steal in it's segment but mu wife and myself just could not close the deal on it and make it look good enough in our minds to lay down the cash even at the firesale price.

I know several who did buy one and have been very very happy with them! It's a shame as if they had got the styling right this could have been a winner right out of the gate at a time when Pontiac needed it.

When I saw the protoype at the Detroit show I e mailed Pontiac as asked what the hell are you doing!!! I many not get all my predictions right but I saw this one coming from a long way off.

I think the Aztek is FUGLY, but I believe the vehicle was ahead of its time. Truly, is there any difference between the Element and the Aztek?

My partner, who is Brazilan, doesn't know a lot about cars, especially North American ones. When I spotted an Astek and a new Element side by side in a parking lot, he thought that the Element was a newer Aztek.

Of course, one has an "H" on the hood and one doesn't, so automatically it is better.

I'm still trying to decide if the concept was worse or better :blink:

Posted Image

There's one modified Aztek out there that I've been trying to find images of.. it was dropped down a few inches.. had 19" or 20" rims.. all black body.

I actually think it made it good looking..

I think the Aztek is FUGLY, but I believe the vehicle was ahead of its time.  Truly, is there any difference between the Element and the Aztek?

My partner, who is Brazilan, doesn't know a lot about cars, especially North American ones.  When I spotted an Astek and a new Element side by side in a parking lot, he thought that the Element was a newer Aztek.

Of course, one has an "H" on the hood and one doesn't, so automatically it is better.

209011[/snapback]

I got an email from an ex coworker this morning (element owner)

Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 10:04 AM

To:

Subject: RE: My reply got bounced, will try again

Glad you’re liking the Aztek! I still like my Element, but it does get moved around by a side wind because of it being high profile and the suspension on Hondas being soft.

The mpg isn’t anything great, but what can you do with a box, right?

Other than that, it’s great!

Later,

I'm still trying to decide if the concept was worse or better :blink:

Posted Image

There's one modified Aztek out there that I've been trying to find images of.. it was dropped down a few inches.. had 19" or 20" rims.. all black body.

I actually think it made it good looking..

209063[/snapback]

Believe it or not, I dounf a GOOD looking Azek at the official fan site, it was gray, dropped, had 20" wheels and a body kit that rounded off the flat ass. It looked quite good! I only stumbled over it, so I dunno where it is now.

Believe it or not, I dounf a GOOD looking Azek at the official fan site, it was gray, dropped, had 20" wheels and a body kit that rounded off the flat ass. It looked quite good! I only stumbled over  it, so I dunno where it is now.

209085[/snapback]

Can you post that photo or mention the site?...would enjoy seeing this. Always thought this vehicle would look good modified.

Believe it or not, I dounf a GOOD looking Azek at the official fan site, it was gray, dropped, had 20" wheels and a body kit that rounded off the flat ass. It looked quite good! I only stumbled over  it, so I dunno where it is now.

209085[/snapback]

The 665hp 7.0 V8 2003 "Ultimate Aztek" 8)

Posted Image

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...=73261155158085

.....or drive so poorly.....or have such a gruff, underpowered V6.....or have such tacky interior trim, fit, and finish.....or try to be an "SUV" built off of a minivan platform....

209400[/snapback]

for its time I think it was actually a pretty decent vehicle, especially in the price range it competed in. Sure it didn't really offer anything new, but its combination of value and utility were second to none. Now the exterior on the other hand.......

i really think the Aztek couldve looked alot better with just a few minor changes

the grill setup... with the way the hood scoop things related to the grill... if they had just removed the seperation and made that all one big grill assembly... or...changed the hood scoop things...moved them further back towards the windsheild and out of alignment with the grill.. that wouldve immediatley gotten rid of the confusion that that area creates

the headlights..if it was just all one assembly instead of being split like it is... it would look awhole lot better

the rear... if they had gone with a slightly more conventional rear-roofline... with a less drastic angle from roof to rear end... and then rounded off the very square bottom... it wouldlook alot better

those three things... as well as lowering it a bit... would've made this car much more attractive and it probably wouldve been a larger success

and for the record... while i dont consider the aztek to be a beautiful car... i also dont really think its as ugly as most people do... i kind of like it... its got a weird sense of self about it... and ilike cars with an original personality...however controversial they may be... i do after all drive a FWD 6th gen Monte Carlo...

for its time I think it was actually a pretty decent vehicle, especially in the price range it competed in. Sure it didn't really offer anything new, but its combination of value and utility were second to none. Now the exterior on the other hand.......

209433[/snapback]

Value and utility WERE great.

My problem has been that every Aztek (only a couple) or Rendezvous (quite a few as rentals) that I've driven have been somewhat dreadful to drive.

Floaty, boaty suspension tuning, truly shaky structures, gruff and unrefined powertrain, and cheap interior materials and fit-and-finish.

Granted GM doesn't build too many cars this dissatifying anymore....but I've NEVER thought Aztek and Rendezvous were anywhere NEAR competitive with their contemporaries in the marketplace.

Eye-opening was two back-to-back trips to the Bay Area one week to the next. The first week was a Rendezvous rental. The second week was a Highlander rental. It was SHOCKING how way more competent and quality-feeling the Toyota was over the Buick....and they are in the same price range and market segment. I can't think of ONE advantage the Buick had over the Toyota.....and Buick is (supposedly) an "upscale" nameplate.

the rear... if they had gone with a slightly more conventional rear-roofline... with a less drastic angle from roof to rear end... and then rounded off the very square bottom... it wouldlook alot better

209451[/snapback]

I agree with all the front end comments, suggestions whatever, but I rather like the production rear end. I especially like the glass area below the angle, like the old CRXs had, I think it makes visibility better and looks distinctive.

I also think that the 3800 Series II would have done a LOT to help with both performance and NVH of the Aztek and Rendevous. The O.C. can you shed some light as to why the 3800 was never offered in the vehicles in question?

All that being said I would like to pick up an Aztek in a few years to go camping with and stuff it just seems like a neat vehicle. BTW there are 3 students, out of 1000, that drive Azteks at my professional college.

My problem has been that every Aztek (only a couple) or Rendezvous (quite a few as rentals) that I've driven have been somewhat dreadful to drive.

Floaty, boaty suspension tuning, truly shaky structures, gruff and unrefined powertrain, and cheap interior materials and fit-and-finish.

Granted GM doesn't build too many cars this dissatifying anymore....but I've NEVER thought Aztek and Rendezvous were anywhere NEAR competitive with their contemporaries in the marketplace.

Eye-opening was two back-to-back trips to the Bay Area one week to the next.  The first week was a Rendezvous rental.  The second week was a Highlander rental.  It was SHOCKING how way more competent and quality-feeling the Toyota was over the Buick....and they are in the same price range and market segment.  I can't think of ONE advantage the Buick had over the Toyota.....and Buick is (supposedly) an "upscale" nameplate.

209549[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, Aztek based somewhere around and pretty close to the 20k mark. In that arena we've got the CR-V, the Rav, Escape [that was later like '03, Aztek debuted '01], and maybe Xterra, I can't really think of anymore. Well, when the CR-V debuted in '02 it was considered the standard. Now I've driven the Rendevous but never Aztek, and I can say your opinion of it is pretty much what I felt, I would say it was quiet, engine power was adequate but nothing overwhelming, very soft boaty floaty, and an all around sturdy feeling but not tank-like like a German car would be. CR-V I would discribe as precise and direct, but engine power is only adequate nothing invigorating, it's not quiet, it doesn't feel as sturdy/solidly damped as the 'Vous did simply because this is where Honda saves weight, but the steering and handling are direct, just not particularly exciting since there's no engine power and the tinny wheels give up pretty soon. What's the point of all this, you say ;) ? Well, I think it was more than a good value, I think it was pretty well matched with its contemporaries in its class and price range. Highlander was above it, even though size wise the Aztek was probably a bit bigger, but you couldn't get a base Highlander for what you could get an Aztek, and certainly not when you factor in real world prices.

I agree with all the front end comments, suggestions whatever, but I rather like the production rear end.  I especially like the glass area below the angle, like the old CRXs had, I think it makes visibility better and looks distinctive.

I also think that the 3800 Series II would have done a LOT to help with both performance and NVH of the Aztek and Rendevous.  The O.C. can you shed some light as to why the 3800 was never offered in the vehicles in question?

All that being said I would like to pick up an Aztek in a few years to go camping with and stuff it just seems like a neat vehicle.  BTW there are 3 students, out of 1000, that drive Azteks at my professional college.

209556[/snapback]

3800 in the minivans/Aztek/Rendezvous?

Well.....I thought I heard that it was a packaging concern. GM had that SAME problem with the GM-10 coupes when they were introduced. The 3.1L block was all that would fit in the new W-bodies.

Now of course they eventually brought the 3800 into the W-body program but now without some serious money spent to redesign the front cradle/structure, etc.

At Buick, we were especially butt-hurt that we had to introduce the new GM-10 Regal Coupe with a "non-Buick" 3.1L "underpowered" V6 instead of the 3800. Buick was one of the leading divisions to get the revisions approved so that the 3800 would fit.

Back to the minivans...I THOUGHT they had a similar problem.....however, obviously now they have the 3.9L engine....and the Rendezvous Ultra had the (large) 3.6L DOHC motor....so I must have been wrong....

Your guess now is as good as mine....perhaps Evok knows....?

Eye-opening was two back-to-back trips to the Bay Area one week to the next.  The first week was a Rendezvous rental.  The second week was a Highlander rental.  It was SHOCKING how way more competent and quality-feeling the Toyota was over the Buick....and they are in the same price range and market segment.  I can't think of ONE advantage the Buick had over the Toyota.....and Buick is (supposedly) an "upscale" nameplate.

209549[/snapback]

i like my interior just fine. the cloth is better than most cloth seats out there. the gauges are nice. the gray and black plastics look good together and shine less than my coworker's pilots, even if they are not leathery grained. the interior design and material quality is fine. its quiet mostly to drive, they've laden this car with sound deadener. the 17" wheels give a decently firm ride, not boaty. it steers quick, although feels is certainly not BMW like. the turn radius is insanely small.

You really are exaggerating. the rendezvoux may be boaty, but my aztek doesn't have a 'shaky' structure. unless you are on the rubicon maybe.

as a whole it drives a lot like last gen GM sedans. I also don't think comparing anything to a lowlander is wise. at least use the pilot or something repsectable if you are going to make comparisons.

everyone still projects their opinion on the looks to the rest of the car. yet everyone I've met who owns one like me, loves it, and not just becuase it hauls stuff. Everyone I know who's owned one says the same thing....comfortable, quiet, rides well, spacious.

yeah, its no BMW, it was never meant to be.

If I'm not mistaken, Aztek based somewhere around and pretty close to the 20k mark. In that arena we've got the CR-V, the Rav, Escape [that was later like '03, Aztek debuted '01], and maybe Xterra, I can't really think of anymore. Well, when the CR-V debuted in '02 it was considered the standard. Now I've driven the Rendevous but never Aztek, and I can say your opinion of it is pretty much what I felt, I would say it was quiet, engine power was adequate but nothing overwhelming, very soft boaty floaty, and an all around sturdy feeling but not tank-like like a German car would be. CR-V I would discribe as precise and direct, but engine power is only adequate nothing invigorating, it's not quiet, it doesn't feel as sturdy/solidly damped as the 'Vous did simply because this is where Honda saves weight, but the steering and handling are direct, just not particularly exciting since there's no engine power and the tinny wheels give up pretty soon. What's the point of all this, you say ;) ? Well, I think it was more than a good value, I think it was pretty well matched with its contemporaries in its class and price range. Highlander was above it, even though size wise the Aztek was probably a bit bigger, but you couldn't get a base Highlander for what you could get an Aztek, and certainly not when you factor in real world prices.

209617[/snapback]

thanks for your voice of reason. my ex coworker with the element paid more and gets less mpg and has less room and his vehicle gets blown around in crosswinds.

the endeavor is a better overall truck than the aztek, i know i had one as a loaner. it doesn't hold as much but real world pricing was close to the same.

As I've said before the Aztek was a great idea, but the final result was just plain awful.

GM had a great plan: introduce a radically styled, innovative, and well-targeted Pontiac in the promising crossover segment. Inspiration for this product will be derived from rally cars and extreme lifestyles. Content available for this vehicle will be class-exclusive and a major point of sale. Additionally, this crossover will increase Pontiac's brand equity and further define the division as perceived by the consumer.

Problem #1: Brand Management Structure. Imposes difficult design limitations such as preset dimensions that maximize occupant space but minimize design leverage. Styling must incorporate predetermined character lines and cues, or else.

Problem #2: Time-to-Market & Resources Available. Because we had our thumb in our butts and only respond to a market segment when its a sure, quantifiable success, you must develop this crossover in 2.5 years. Unfortunately, we can't use the Theta platform given these time constraints. Nor will we have a competitive powertrain. Let's use our award-winning minivan platform and bump up the hood a few inches and hope customers don't notice the driving dynamics.

Problem #3: Pricing. Our outdated business structure says we have to price this vehicle higher than the consumer is willing to pay. Sorry.

The Aztek could've been great had it been developed under today's system. I will admit that the styling ideas they had for the vehicle were pretty out there - but also very Pontiac. Also, like the headlights or not, that styling detail can now be seen in Chryslers and BMWs. Under the new GM system - with a little more creativity thrown into the mix - a Pontiac in the spirit of the Aztek would be very successful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

....neither was a Highlander, for example....yet that has a quality feel that is ten-times greater than Aztek (or Rendezvous.)

211283[/snapback]

for 10-15 grand more and that highlander won't take 1/2 the cargo an aztek will.

i but suppose you can brag to your friends then how you have a toyota.

Highlander's always seemed junky and cheesy to me. at least the Pilot is a step above the highlander.

Edited by regfootball

• 2 weeks later...

We had a 2001 Aztek 1SA 2WD with everything but the HUD. Our next car after that was a 2004 Aztek Rally 1SB 2WD with the towing pkg and the sunroof (the only way we could get it in August 2003, better equipped ones came later in the year).

Initially, we had gone to the local car show to find a viable replacement for our POS Mercury Topaz. We had two kids in elementary school and made trips home (to NE Ohio) to see grandparents, etc. pretty frequently. I wanted an Intrigue as we had driven my in-laws and found it to be an excellent Interstate hauler. My other choice was a Pontiac Grand Prix (GT with 3800) when my wife saw the Aztek.

I have to say, I was not impressed. I had seen the concept car and thought it was pretty far out, but not ugly. We're not 'truck/SUV' people, and that was the reason why the Az appealed to my wife. She didn't want a minivan, but didn't like the Grand Prix, either. This was not a minivan, not a truck and not a Grand Prix.

Two weeks later, we're in the local Pontiac dealership, driving a demo Az in a steady frozen rain storm. That's when it hit me, this was one of the best packaged sedans I have ever been in. The Az was steady in traffic and for a car so tall, I thought it handled well. There was plenty of room for us and our kids, but it was not so big that you couldn't drive/park in downtown areas. Later that day we took home the 01.

Another impression from that time that stands out, was in February of 2001 *no one* had hardly seen an Aztek, even in a big GM town like this one. We couldn't have gotten more looks, leers and stares if we had been naked, driving a hot pink Ferrari convertible sideways down the main drag of the town. I like to drive above the speed limit (slightly) on the Interstates, and this thing was drawing attention from all over. After several conversations with the constabulatory, I learned to back off a little in the blue Az.

In 2003, we saw that Pontiac was going to release a Rally version of the Aztek. My wife wanted one (in Fusion Orange no less) in the worst way, so I agreed (again) and traded in a perfectly good Aztek for a new one. Long story short, I came to find out how good a dealer I had and how incredibly valuable the GM extended warranty really is...

Earlier this year we gave the Aztek back to GM and plopped down money on a 2006 Malibu Maxx which is a better driver than the Azteks were, and roughly the same size and packaging. However, it is NOT as good a hauler as the Aztek was. Plus, it IS invisible in a parking lot, although after having a Fusion Orange Aztek, most anything would be.

To sum up, both of the Azteks we had were loaded-up vehicles which potentially could have been (and the Orange one was) troublesome. But the size, the performance (as someone else pointed out, it's no BMW), the packaging, the fuel economy and the overall feel of the car was great.

Now that some time has passed, I'm thinking there may be a used Aztek gracing my driveway again someday... The prices are cheap(!) and if you get one that is not optioned-out, it should be fairly reliable.

Thanks for reading this incredibly long post. I'll be quiet now.

We had a 2001 Aztek 1SA 2WD with everything but the HUD. Our next car after that was a 2004 Aztek Rally 1SB 2WD with the towing pkg and the sunroof (the only way we could get it in August 2003, better equipped ones came later in the year).

Initially, we had gone to the local car show to find a viable replacement for our POS Mercury Topaz. We had two kids in elementary school and made trips home (to NE Ohio) to see grandparents, etc. pretty frequently. I wanted an Intrigue as we had driven my in-laws and found it to be an excellent Interstate hauler. My other choice was a Pontiac Grand Prix (GT with 3800) when my wife saw the Aztek.

I have to say, I was not impressed. I had seen the concept car and thought it was pretty far out, but not ugly. We're not 'truck/SUV' people, and that was the reason why the Az appealed to my wife. She didn't want a minivan, but didn't like the Grand Prix, either. This was not a minivan, not a truck and not a Grand Prix.

Two weeks later, we're in the local Pontiac dealership, driving a demo Az in a steady frozen rain storm. That's when it hit me, this was one of the best packaged sedans I have ever been in. The Az was steady in traffic and for a car so tall, I thought it handled well. There was plenty of room for us and our kids, but it was not so big that you couldn't drive/park in downtown areas. Later that day we took home the 01.

Another impression from that time that stands out, was in February of 2001 *no one* had hardly seen an Aztek, even in a big GM town like this one. We couldn't have gotten more looks, leers and stares if we had been naked, driving a  hot pink Ferrari convertible sideways down the main drag of the town. I like to drive above the speed limit (slightly) on the Interstates, and this thing was drawing attention from all over. After several conversations with the constabulatory, I learned to back off a little in the blue Az.

In 2003, we saw that Pontiac was going to release a Rally version of the Aztek. My wife wanted one (in Fusion Orange no less) in the worst way, so I agreed (again) and traded in a perfectly good Aztek for a new one. Long story short, I came to find out how good a dealer I had and how incredibly valuable the GM extended warranty really is...

Earlier this year we gave the Aztek back to GM and plopped down money on a 2006 Malibu Maxx which is a better driver than the Azteks were, and roughly the same size and packaging. However, it is NOT as good a hauler as the Aztek was. Plus, it IS invisible in a parking lot, although after having a Fusion Orange Aztek, most anything would be.

To sum up, both of the Azteks we had were loaded-up vehicles which potentially could have been (and the Orange one was) troublesome. But the size, the performance (as someone else pointed out, it's no BMW), the packaging, the fuel economy and the overall feel of the car was great.

Now that some time has passed, I'm thinking there may be a used Aztek gracing my driveway again someday... The prices are cheap(!) and if you get one that is not optioned-out, it should be fairly reliable.

230446[/snapback]

this seems to be the general perception of owners. thanks for the review. there really is no car in the GM lineup, or in the rest of US brands' lineups that I can think of right now, short of a cheap minivan, that could come close to the Tek's combination of utility, efficiency, and value. Of course the value part was never intended to get as outrageous as it did, no one wants a vehicle to be as heavily discounted and universally disliked as the Aztek. Theta doesn't come close because of size [though the XL-7 comes the closest, I don't think it's as wide as the Aztek], Lambdas are too long, and too expensive. GMT 360's are trucks....so there really is no tall station wagon thingy that is inexpensive and as spacious as the Aztek was.

Another impression from that time that stands out, was in February of 2001 *no one* had hardly seen an Aztek, even in a big GM town like this one. We couldn't have gotten more looks, leers and stares if we had been naked, driving a  hot pink Ferrari convertible sideways down the main drag of the town. I like to drive above the speed limit (slightly) on the Interstates, and this thing was drawing attention from all over. After several conversations with the constabulatory, I learned to back off a little in the blue Az.

230446[/snapback]

I'll keep my 04 in good shape for you. Sunroof, 17" wheels. If we go Acadia someday, I've got a deal waiting for ya......

this seems to be the general perception of owners. thanks for the review. there really is no car in the GM lineup, or in the rest of US brands' lineups that I can think of right now, short of a cheap minivan, that could come close to the Tek's combination of utility, efficiency, and value. Of course the value part was never intended to get as outrageous as it did, no one wants a vehicle to be as heavily discounted and universally disliked as the Aztek. Theta doesn't come close because of size [though the XL-7 comes the closest, I don't think it's as wide as the Aztek], Lambdas are too long, and too expensive. GMT 360's are trucks....so there really is no tall station wagon thingy that is inexpensive and as spacious as the Aztek was.

230477[/snapback]

Hi Turbo200 & regfootball,

I guess I could add that we chose the Malibu Maxx since there was no direct replacement for the Az. Yes, we looked at a 'nox/Torrent, too big for the same interior space. Our in-laws ended up getting a Rendezvous after having driven our Aztek, too.

You are correct in saying there is nothing in the NA lineup that directly replaces the Az, which I think is a shame. It was sort of an underground cult car, and having one put you in little subversive club, that really didn't care what other people thought of your ride. It sounds weird, but I miss the bugger...

• 4 weeks later...

The 665hp 7.0 V8 2003 "Ultimate Aztek" 8)

Posted Image

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...=73261155158085

Posted Image

At 400, or even down to a mere 310 horses, this would have been a nice Aztek GXP.

Lookswise, that was the refreshing they should have done to rescue some sales.

Posted Image

At 400, or even down to a mere 310 horses, this would have been a nice Aztek GXP.

Lookswise, that was the refreshing they should have done to rescue some sales.

"AZTEK GXP" LMAO!!!!!!!!!

today my wife said (after I threw out some scenarios for getting rid of the aztek and getting her a new ride)

"I don't think you'll ever be able to get rid of this car, she (my daughter) likes it too much, and I like it too"

then she listed all the reasons THEY like it so much.

What can I say, its ugly, but has been 99% reliable in 60000 miles plus, and has totally satisfied my wife and daughter.

It was funny today. I saw a ridgeline drive by and the angle by which i saw it, it almost looked like an Aztek with the rear hatch and rear window removed. Someone ought to photochop an aztek to look like a crapline, er ridgeline.

Edited by regfootball

If you think about it, aside from the quirky front-end, the profile isn't all that different from today's cross-over vehicles.

While the Aztek wasn't the most attractive thing on wheels, it's certainly versatile, if not one of the most user-friendly of the SUV/van market. A co-worker bought one (basically because the dealer was trying to unload them and it was uber-cheap), and they are completely satisfied with it. I would never knock another person's purchase, even if they bought it because it fit the pocket-book so well.

Still, the Aztek always had me wondering just how the heck it even managed to get off the drawing board. Look at all the concepts sitting in GM's garage that could-have been? Not one of them had prospects for a future that approached the Aztek? It confuses me.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the development of the Aztek mirrored the Simpson's episode when Homer was asked by his long-lost brother to design a vehicle, and what came out was a complete disaster. I know the Aztek is anything but a disaster, but its ability to confuse an on-looker with an expression typically found on a baby having been fed something extremely sour is unparalleled.

Edited by ShadowDog

you couldn't pry my daughters 2001 aztek out of her hands.

she'll wear this out and buy another one on the used market. as long as she can find good used ones, she will continue to drive an aztek. i have driven the aztek, its pretty neat.

Funny thing- I hated this car when it first came out-but now I've grown to like them-as now I've driven one.

Handles quite well.

I can understand why Az owners love em......

If only about 25,000 more people per year (when it was in production) would have made the same discovery...

Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...