Life Liberty & The Pursuit - since 1902

Flybrian

So, how would you rate Cadillac's new advertising direction so far?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. So, how would you rate Cadillac's new advertising direction so far?

• Great! Love the play on heritage and the contemporary.
    • Good, its decent enough, but could be improved by...
    • Average
    • Not so great. Needs much improvement.
    • Hate it! Ew!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are similar to the Silverado commercials, except that they only have cars, and not other things.

I don't think the 85 Seville belongs anywhere in the ad. Every other car looks pretty nice, and then you have the ugly 85 Seville? At least the 60 second ad goes to the Allante between the two.

While I realize the attraction to the 85 Seville is subjective <I like them> in Cadillac's defense, they sold a huge number of them. They were very very popular in their day, so I can see why they included it. they just could have picked one in a more striking colour.

I also feel the '85 Seville is appropriate. For its time, it was probably the most uniquely-styled car on the road and a certain German manufacturer continues to bustleback cars in a different way. Although, in keeping with the Eldorado coupe/convertible lineage, an American Coachworks Eldorado would've been appropriate.

No, that's when it got the Northstar. The Allante came out in '86 I believe. I think 92-93 were the last years for the Allante, if not then '94 definetly was.

209761[/snapback]

I think '93 was the last year..'87 was the first year (which is what the car in the ad looks like). Anyway, the Allante was an '80s car that lasted into the '90s..

Edited by moltar

I'm left cold. Could have been much more effective. Really comes off as derivative: how many times have we seen evolution-ads like this? The photography looks overly cheap, does not pick up on the details. Makes no attempt to make Cadillac an "aspirational" product. DOES attempt show 'pride' for less grandiose Cadillac's of the 1970s...trying to change history, are we? The 70s and 80s weren't so great for Cadillac, image-wise.

Modernista has yet to impress...

While I realize the attraction to the 85 Seville is subjective <I like them> in Cadillac's defense, they sold a huge number of them. They were very very popular in their day, so I can see why they included it. they just could have picked one in a more striking colour.

209745[/snapback]

I believe that Seville body style ran from 1980-1985.

I like the extended version of the ad.

Now that I think of it, it'd be cool if the cars transformed like the Silverado does on it's new website (which is awesome)

209783[/snapback]

For real, i was floored when i saw that intro for the first time. it was really cool to watch the truck progress. i liked that 72 myself, prolly cause my dad had a 69 with a 327.

I'm going to give it an "eh". I chose "average".

I like the idea, like the way they presented it for the most part, but I hate the slogan, and hate the song.

The commercials are very weak.

Like the other Modernista attempts at defining Cadillac, they lack soul. It is easy to understand thieir attempt but they continue to be contrived. Granted, these are Cadillac's best ads since the Moments commercial for the CTS launch. Again this is a good attempt and a poor execution.

The products in the commercial lost continuity with the 80's Seville, poor color and poor choice of car. Same with the Allante.

The 85 era Eldorado leading to the 92-2002 vintage Eldo to the XLR may have worked better.

Again, another Modernista ad that lacks credibility.

In summary - Good attempt but it really did. . . suck. I did like the music.

Edited by evok

I'm not feelin' these as much others are. I can see the idea they were trying to get at but the execution is bad. The ads look like incomplete pieces that were released too early.The desert wasteland scenery is pretty desolate and doesn't evoke the sense of luxury. Doing this in a city, on a bridge or even changing the scenery for each car switch would've been better.

The evolution of the cars could've also been a lot more smooth and impressive. Others have mentioned the Chevy Silverado's transforming intro on it's website and I believe Caddy should've gone that route. The transforming would've provided a much smoother transition between each car and would also be amusing to watch. It also wouldn't look so cheap and choppy. Come on it's Cadillac you don't want your ads looking like they were made by freshman college kids. I also couldn't find any reason between the different camera angles chosen. Why is the camera going all over the place in this thing?

There's no real message in the ads except showing off years of historic Caddy cars. There's nothing to take away from the spot after you've watched it. You just think "Oh, Cadillac." It doesn't say luxury, or performance or anything, just tells you that Cadillac has been around since 1902. Yay.

Could've done better guys, the "Heart", and "Crest" spots were much more aligned with what Cadillac wants its image to be imo.

Edited by big blue

Awesome ad! Though in the shorter spot, I'm not sure I would have jumped directly from 85 Seville to 07 XLR.

They could have put the 98 Eldorado in there....

209738[/snapback]

It's very telling.

In the 30 second spot, it jumps from the early 1980's Seville to the XLR, skipping about 20 years of Cadillacs.

In the second spot, it shows the Allante in between.

Confirming what we all know that the 1990's were an entirely forgettable decade for Cadillacs.

Great commercial. I really like that 76 Eldo convertable. Its great the way they stick the "since 1902" at the end to show whos boss. The only thing is they should have put some broads in them dressed in period clothes it would have been a good addition. Other than the Cimmaron Caddys in the eighties were sweet. Its to bad they used the HT 4100 and the diesels but they were really nice to look at.

.... Other than the Cimmaron Caddys in the eighties were sweet. ...

209915[/snapback]

The Cimarron was technically not a Cadillac. Remember? It was Cimarron by Cadillac. Cadillac's LaSalle is also nowhere in sight.

As for what should have been included or excluded, remember that Cadillac has been around since 1902. To include every significant homerun over the past 105 years would make the ads significantly longer than the 30-60 second runtimes that these are limited to.

Personally, I have no problem with the ads' including some fumbles. They are part of Cadillac's heritage. Including them brings an air of honesty to the ads. Perhaps, other ads will feature such significant Cadillacs as the Sixty and the Seventy-five. The most important Cadillac for the past decade has been the Escalade. Perhaps, it will be included in future ads.

The most important image in the ads is the 1902. This means that Cadillac was here before Ford. It was here before the curved dash Oldsmobile. The implication is that Cadillac will be here for decades to come.

They should have skipped the stuff from the 1970s to 2002.

209956[/snapback]

I'm take it or leave it on 77 and newer (downsized), but the 76's and older are great!

Moments indeed had more emotional impact, but I like this one as well. Anytime a manufacturer acknowledges it's heritage, I am pleased. I do esecially like the 'Since 1902' also.

I would really like to see -just once- a Cadillac ad that highlights 1896 and the beginning of engine production.

There is nothing wrong with the 80 to 85 Seville or Allante and i do think they belong in this commercial. I also think they could have put the 92 Seville in the commercial to have at least one (perhaps the only decent) 90s car bridge the gap with the present. The 92 Seville was considered a great looking car and a great leap forward for Cadillac at the time AND it did win Motor Trend's car of the year in 1992. The commercial is great and everyone i've talked to - Cadillac fan or not - likes this commercial. Great choice of music.

Moments indeed had more emotional impact, but I like this one as well. Anytime a manufacturer acknowledges it's heritage, I am pleased. I do esecially like the 'Since 1902' also.

I would really like to see -just once- a Cadillac ad that highlights 1896 and the beginning of engine production.

210649[/snapback]

Moments was successful to me because there was an Emotional Connection to the brand. It defined where Cadillac was and where it is going.

Since 1902 feels contrived and it does not say anything besides Cadillac as a brand is over 100 years old.

There is no link to innovation, luxury, prestige and it does not make me feel anything for Cadillac.

The commercial feels if anything disjointed and just a slide show.

As I said earlier and I think we can agree the concept is good but the execution sux.