1. 1. This truck should be the 2008 Colorado

• Entirely Agree
    • Strongly Agree
    • No Opinion
    • Strongly Disagree
    • Entirely Disagree

Posted Image

I need a lot of opinions on this truck.

I want to get the opinions of everybody on the SEMA Z71 Plus concept. Its a radical step away from the current 355 trucks. It obviously includes some of the traits of the 900 series, as evidenced by the tremendous new fender flairs. It also has some flavor of other GM cars, with Camaro-style low profile lights, a cleaner tailgate, and revised interior. This is the fourth time GM has unveiled a Colorado Concept model with the 5.3 V8. I see alot of pre-production hints in this truck.

I need the opinions of everybody here. What do you like? What do you hate? What else would you like to see happen? Please, let us know any opinions, any suggestions, any ideas you have for this and the 2008 Colorado.

Also, please state whether or not you are a current owner of Colorado or Canyon. Thanks

Posted Image

Edited by tama z71

The Colorado needs a lot of work to be competitive, but I'm not sure the polarizing looks are what it needs. The biggest weaknesses are the engine and interior. I haven't tried out the new 3.7 liter engine, but I doubt it's a huge improvement over the old I-5. That being said, I like the concept.

From what I've seen of it, the only thing I'd change is the hood. It looks like it just sits on top of the fenders. It should look integrated, especially around the  grill area. Otherwise, it's a big change from the current Colorado, and a good one at that.

211503[/snapback]

Agreed, Although I would like the headlighst to be a little larger too.

This calls for a chop.

I am a current, satisfied owner of a 2004 Colorado. I voted "Strongly Agree", this should be the 2008 Colorado, with some minor revisions for production. For example, the fenders and bedsides should be normal width (they are widened for the show truck-size tires), the rear bumper should be a separate piece like the current truck, instead of molded in, and the front end should be similar to the concept, but made practical for production.

And this is the first time I've said this... but since the 5.3 with AFM is rated for the same gas mileage in the 900s as the 3.7L 5 in this year's 355s, it should be an option. 4, 5 and 8 cylinder engine options would be a competitive advantage for the 355s.

Change the Headlights and nose a bit, throw in a Better quality interior thant the present truck with out the quad cab we might talk.

The 5 ylinder is great but it needs the I 6 offered as an option.

I am a present owner of a ZQ8 Sonoma and would no trade my truck even for a new Colorado or Canyon. They just feel too cheap with a nose only a mother would love.

I haven't done too many chops, but this is a quick chop of what I think would help the truck look better.

Posted Image

Of the twins I've always liked this Canyon from SEMA...I wish GM had designed it that way

Posted Image

211522[/snapback]

The Chop looks great but I have never gotten over how nice that Canyon looked compared to the productoin model. Someone should make a conversion kit to do just that with the headlights and they would sell them by the boatload!

As for the concept, what does the revised interior look like, I haven't seen any pics of it.

Strongly disagree.

Without major revisions to the nose this thing is Aztek- ugly . The basic concept is good, but I wouldn't even ride in something with a face like that. I also agree with Ocn that the integrated rear bumper (a la S10) looks like crap just like it did on the S10. This truck is crying out for a chop to give it an uglyectomy.

No for production as it sits.

I like the flared fenders and wider tires - the best design element of this truck, IMO.

The nose, I'm just not sure about. I don't like the current nose on either twin. But this just seems unfinished, even amateurish.

I think it's the headlights - they look like they were tacked on as an afterthought. I don't like their look, and they're too small for the face of the truck. I'd like to see something like a Tahoe-style headlight unit that dips deeper into the face of the bumper.

Overall it's an improvement over the current model. I understand where they're trying to go with this design, and I like the idea. But it does need some refinement.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

I think the current truck looks pretty good, but I also think this looks pretty good, and mostly better than the current truck. Only things I don't like are the headlights ("eyebrow" turn-signal looks terrible), and the hood could use some refinement up front - the end of it seems to be straight up & down - it should slope and meet up with the rest of the grill lines.

personally, the front end could be better. i like that they are using a hugenormous grille, but the lack of a true bumper, amber eyelids and the equinox looking hood seem shoddy and rushed, and i would hope for something more complete and integrated on a production model.

I still think this truck is a grade-F piece of crap that is way too small, cheap-looking, gutless, overpriced, underequipped, etc., but like the 1998-2004 generation of the Nissan Frontier (particularly the 2001-on facelift), this would do wonders for a dated-before-on-sale design turkey like this. Of course, its still got the weak structure, but its better style, and should be pursued. Same applies to that obscure Canyon AT4 concept truck as shown above.

I still think this truck is a grade-F piece of crap that is way too small, cheap-looking, gutless, overpriced, underequipped, etc., but like the 1998-2004 generation of the Nissan Frontier (particularly the 2001-on facelift), this would do wonders for a dated-before-on-sale design turkey like this. Of course, its still got the weak structure, but its better style, and should be pursued. Same applies to that obscure Canyon AT4 concept truck as shown above.

211640[/snapback]

I agree......new Colorado needs a whole new (re...bigger) architecture and much better powertrains.

Of course I bet we'll be stuck with this truck for another 3-4 years.

I love it. there are details that could finish the look more. The front end is killer; the hot compact truck to own would be what is said about it, it would attract young people like no other truck in this market, and older audiences would also appreciate the in your face look. I love it.

Edited by turbo200

can someone do a chop job?

i have some ideas that might make it less polarizing...

-graft on the new silverado headlights

-remove the amber eyelids

-fatter tires, smaller wheels

-integrate the hood into the front fenders better. remove the equinox feel

-add a billet grille, and, if at all possible, some manner of traditional bumper

thats if anyone is interested, but those seem to be the major areas of complaint

Guest YellowJacket894

It's a good step in the right direction, I will say that. There are details, however, that should be taken back to the drawing board, with the headlamps being my main problem.

In other ways it reminds me of what the '97 Dakota was for Dodge, especially in it's design. The lowered fenders and raised hood reflect that rather sharp and muscular mid-sized pickup design, which is obviously a future classic in my opinion.

However, the headlamps are small, tiny, and detract from the truck's personality.

I'm a owner of a '98 S-10 and, if I were in the market for a new mid-sized truck, I would buy a regular cab, V8, 2WD Colorado with styling based on the SEMA concept above. The GMC Canyon with it's revised styling, which I expect to be unique to that truck, would probably be a major factor in that decision, however.

:drool: Wow Dodgefan.... :drool:

Posted Image

What a difference some production-like headlights make! I definitely like the looks of Dodgefan's chopped SEMA Colorado.

Unlike a lot of you, I like how the hood sits atop the fenders. It's very retro without being retro - GM full-size pickup trucks up to 1972 had their hoods sitting atop the fenders. I think it looks great on this Colorado and until someone else mentioned it, I didn't even think of the Equinox's hood.

I also like:

- the two tone coloring (it's a shame GM is doing away with this option on it's truck lines)

- the wide fender flares; lets you know this is a serious truck (although it works on the 4wd off-road version, I'm not sure a 2wd or lowered model might look as nice with those fenders)

I don't like:

- the '94-'97 S-series inspired rear bumper

- the Z71 stickes on the doors (put them on the rear quarter panel where they belong)

- the hideous roof rack

Other than that, I really dig this design. Too many people here complain GM isn't adventurous with their truck designs (too conservative). Well, with the full-size p/u's you don't want to mess with your happy owners; the smaller p/u's I think it's perfectly fine to take the styling further and especially to attract the younger buyers - those that are more likely to purchase small vs. big.

I can't wait to see what the GMC Canyon will look like for 2008!!!

Strongly Agree

I like what they are trying to do, but feel the headlights and some of the minor details need further development. I am in the minority, but I like the S-10 style rear bumper.

Dodgefan's version is a step in the right direction. :thumbsup: