Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOS2006

My Buddy's Neon: Before and After

23 posts in this topic

My best friend has a '95 Neon that he's just starting to work on cosmetically. Since we make hardly any money at our job, we only have little money to spend on the rides. Therefore, he has a front bumper that isn't even painted yet. However, I made a chop of his car from today to sometime in the future, meaning exactly how he wants it to look. Figured I'd share...

Now:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Much better, eh?

I'm doing a rear tomorrow, too. :) I like how it looks. It's the best you could make a '95 Neon look, IMO.

Why!? Dear god Why? I gues if you MUST rice you might as well rice a domestic.

The car would probably be totalled if you replaced the dull headlights.

Do we still have the rice smily? Hmm... let's see... :rice: Did it work? :P Much better? Yes. Pretty? No. That front bumper is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Eh... not my taste even if it is a domestic. [RANT] And I HATE people that have daily drivers that are building them up using primed parts of the body because they can't afford the whole work all at once or even afford a beater 2nd car. [/RANT]

i actually plan on a 100% black primer car for a while so ya know. . .also old rodders would do that till they could afford paint its become a part of rodding culture

Nos, you did a good job with your rendering. I was busting on Neons in my first post... the price of new headlights would be more than what the car's worth... get it? http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Gotcha...

Since ya'll were so excited about the first chop, here's the rear :P

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Cool work. And you're 85% is a bit exagerated, I think the figure is closer to 99.97%. Posted Image

I have one suggestion. . . smack him in the face and tell me to wake up and save his money! :wacko: This is a money pit and will only dig deeper and deeper. Unless you get everything hot. . . it'll will cost more for the parts then the car is worth and no mods will be cover by insurance. Luckly for me my mods were alll engine mods done by myself, and I got smart enough not buy rims and a body kit. . . . mod something that is worthwhile, like a Jeep B)

Give your friend this advice. He may like the car now, but just like having sex with the skanky cheerleader, he'll regret it in a year or two when it burns to pee. Or when everyone laughs at him hysterically in this case.

Just rims and dark tinted windows, along with keeping the car sparkling clean all the time, will really add to the look of a stock vehicle. These body kits, if damaged, look sooo crappy. Think about having to replace one of those fiberglass bumpers, or even finding a qualified fiberglass technician if the part can be repaired... this stuff is a nightmare to maintain.

On top of what 'blu said, realistically 95% of these projects never get finished for one reason or another. Look around and see how many cars you see with only part of a body kit and mismatched rims. Its ok to think big if you can afford to act big. Putting it all together takes a lot of time and money, and for what?

Sweet Mother of the Anti-Christ! That is just so wrong. Young people of this site, please learn from these mistakes. Don't throw money away on stuff like that. Save your money so the next car you buy can look good from the start. I agree with blu, wheels and window tint is good, along with a shiny car is the best way to make the car look good.

yes... teens like us (many of us) think that cars like these are the only thing (the best on occasions) to get people's attention... but man are we wrong. they do get attention, if u can afford to maintain their appearence (and God bless the I4's haulin it). It is a waste of money in my opinion, but some of us, for one reason or another will probably get stuck with a car that doesnt satisfy our want to own a nice car.
In high school a cool cars can make you popular. (heh) teens want one... but they turn around and see that own a (i.e.) civic. the then see what they can do to it, often without thinking of how they can do it.

My friend though did all the fiberglass on his honda in a V-school and went to college on it... now when his car breaks.. lol the front bumper namely, he can refiberglass it and repaint it himself. when all is said and done, i think he wasted more time and money gettin his car to look like he wanted (dont get me wrong.. it is unique). he coulda just bought a car with balls and put rims and such on it, rather then go through 4 body kits (no joke) and 3 sets of rims.

I am not telling anyone what to do, rather guiding them with common sense, if you cared to know.

Tellin' people what to drive and how to spend their money is more of a waste, IMO, than their actual work. Maybe the Neon IS a nice car to them. My thing is no one person's tastes is correct. One man's junk is another man's treasure.... Not to mention the whole "why not buy something that's nice in the first place?" mentality is a slap in the face of the custom game (of all disciplines, from lowriding to pro-streeting). There's nothing personal in "buying something that's nice in the first place" and stopping right there...anyone can do that...those who are customizing, building something themselves, obviously want to do something different... I laugh harder at people who buy cars thinking about resale value than those who buy or build cars they simply like. Edited by LosAngeles

There's a reason that stock cars almost always look better than modified cars...they were designed by professionals. And even modified cars like Saleen Mustangs have an element of design in them. Ricing out a car is just so wrong...not only does it completely mess up the overall design, but it's normally done in bad taste. I've never been a fan of tacked on crap...and I never will be. I'm with the general consensus...tell your friend that he'd be best saving his money for college tuition or something where he will actually need it. First-generation Neons are money pits from my experience...he'd be best saving that money up for a different car.

Well, I agree with you for the most part, LA. I was just trying to give a perspective from a collision estimator's p.o.v.

I don't like body kits, no matter what they're attached to. If I had a Neon and I were a teenager, I'd... have it painted a cool color (and hold onto the color code for repairs), tint the windows, put on some cool rims, and maybe add an intake and exhaust... NOT a fart can, but something with a deep, throaty sound that actually adds a few horses. That's it... simple, doable mods that wouldn't cost a fortune to duplicate.

Naw, Blu, I know where you're going with it...kits aren't my thing either, partly because they would get in the way of other things I would want to do with the car, and partly because, hey, cars I like look cool enough without them....not to mention the kitmakers of today tend to make their product in a goofy and overdone manner. But there are cars with kits done right (hell, I know of a company that makes one that gives new life to an 80s S-class, for instance); it's just that most of the time, one can rarely afford (financially) to get it as right as that guy in the magazine or Joe Blow you saw on Sunset. I'm typically thinking more about the powertrain, suspension, and sometimes wheels (if the stock ones just don't do it for me)....paint/body and interior are more often than not simply a matter of being kept unmolested. Maybe it's that I grew up liking how people have taken what the manufacturers have done to the next level...many times, the end result just made me smile. Or maybe it's that I also grew up knowing that when one man attempts telling another man what to do, and that man doesn't write his checks, he has every right to tell him to go jump in a lake. In any case, let that man do what he wants to with his car. It's his goal to accomplish, or his lesson to learn, whether or not some keep-it-stock/buy-a-better-car snob likes it. I'll end this rant by saying this: to those who don't believe in spending on cars beyond buying it, and maybe an oil change or two, is restoring cars also a waste? You gonna tell that guy with that clean 69 GP he restored himself and is proud of, that he was better off buying a brand new Camcord?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room