Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM's Epsilon 2 platform might bring diesels to U.S

Northstar

By Jason Stein
Automotive News / September 19, 2005

FRANKFURT -- General Motors' next-generation mid-sized vehicle architecture will be able to accommodate engines from around the world, a high-ranking GM executive says.

That means fuel-efficient diesels could come to North America from Europe by the end of the decade on the Epsilon 2 architecture, Hans Demant, managing director of Adam Opel AG, told Automotive News at the Frankfurt auto show last week.

"The next-generation of Epsilon in North America will have full access to all of the European powertrains," Demant said.

"When you look into the (Chevrolet) Malibu today or the Pontiac G6, they have certain limitations with regard to the size of the powertrain. With Epsilon 2, we can put our powertrains into those vehicles."

That will allow GM to react more quickly to changing market demands, Demant said.

The goal is that vehicles on Epsilon 2 built around the world will share dimensions, components and manufacturing processes.

The sharing of engines falls under GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz's definition of interbuildability, a term that includes manufacturing and engineering, Demant says.

"It is the total spectrum of options and features available for use anywhere," Demant says. "If someone says they want a diesel in North America … we have a high-efficient diesel engine, and we can ship it. The (architectures) will all share the same module. We'll just be able to stick it in."

Demant also said GM has increased the range of dimensions on Epsilon 2. The front overhang has increased by 3 or 4 inches and so has the width and road height of the vehicle.

Full article: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54521

Let me translate:

Demant also said GM has increased the range of dimensions on Epsilon 2. The front overhang has increased by 3 or 4 inches on the european cars to commonize with the current US vehicles and comform to US frontal occupant protection requirements thereby harmonizing the architecture globally. Edited by evok

oh yeah, like a GM car needs MORE OVERHANG!

[post="16703"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The European cars will be getting the increased overhang, so that now both US and European Epsilons will have the same front overhang length. So for the US, there'll be a minimal increase if any.

Let me translate:

Demant also said GM has increased the range of dimensions on Epsilon 2. The front overhang has increased by 3 or 4 inches on the european cars to commonize with the current US vehicles and comform to US frontal occupant protection requirements thereby harmonizing the architecture globally.

[post="16633"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude, did anyone even read what he said?

While they are at it, maybe they can do something reasonable and add some WIDTH to the Epsilon platform, too.

[post="16704"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uh... did you read the post????????

Demant also said GM has increased the range of dimensions on Epsilon 2. The front overhang has increased by 3 or 4 inches and so has the width and road height of the vehicle.

Opel's 2 stage Turbocharged 1.9 liter diesel

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/news...009/opel/1.html

2 stage turbocharging is a key part of the EPA's Clean Diesel Combustion system

Pdf page 10

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/technology/deerpresentation.pdf Edited by Ghost Dog

Let me translate:

Demant also said GM has increased the range of dimensions on Epsilon 2. The front overhang has increased by 3 or 4 inches on the european cars to commonize with the current US vehicles and comform to US frontal occupant protection requirements thereby harmonizing the architecture globally.

[post="16633"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So the US vehicles won't change their front overhang unless they get smaller, right?

GuionM on the Camaro Z28 board seems to hint that the next generation Impala will use a stretched Epsilon 2 platform, while the Zeta RWD platform will be used for a more upscale Chevrolet sedan. At least this is what he seems to hint at.

GuionM on the Camaro Z28 board seems to hint that the next generation Impala will use a stretched Epsilon 2 platform, while the Zeta RWD platform will be used for a more upscale Chevrolet sedan.  At least this is what he seems to hint at.

[post="17222"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We are in rumour phase at the moment. Chi seems to be shelved. But it appears that may be the directions where the Impala moves to the lwb EpII platform instead of Chi. Edited by evok

We are in rumour phase at the moment.  Chi seems to be shelved.  But it appears that may be the directions where the Impala moves to the lwb EpII platform instead of Chi.

[post="17260"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hmm Capacity wise that would mean three N.A. EP2 plants?

Hmm Capacity wise that would mean three N.A. EP2 plants?

[post="17552"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Here is what I am figuring based on fact and fiction:

Oshawa 1 will convert to eps II (Lacrosse and Impala) and Oshawa II will go RWD in the 2009 - 2010 time frame.

I just don't know what GM will eventually do with the D-Ham vehicles and the plant itself. The only thing I can guess at is that it will produce overflow EPSII and TE vechicles.

We are in rumour phase at the moment.  Chi seems to be shelved.  But it appears that may be the directions where the Impala moves to the lwb EpII platform instead of Chi.

[post="17260"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sounds plausable...a stretched EII platform could make sense as a replacement for the W-body platform..

Here is what I am figuring based on fact and fiction:

Oshawa 1 will convert to eps II (Lacrosse and Impala) and Oshawa II will go RWD in the 2009 - 2010 time frame.

I just don't know what GM will eventually do with the D-Ham vehicles and the plant itself.  The only thing I can guess at is that it will produce overflow EPSII and TE vechicles.

[post="17715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That Makes Sense to me. If There is a RWD Caprice,Then Monte Carlo can Share that Architecture.

Why Willmington is hardly close to capacity?

[post="18419"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Assuming that the Sky, Chevrolet and Opel versions take on 40,000 more units per month, and GM would add a sedan & coupe versions for both Opel & Pontiac, I could see the capacity going way beyond Willmingtons capacity.

The G6 would be better looking if it was more balanced by having smaller overhang in the front. the 6 has a more athletic looking design from that angle, and the G6 looks a lot like the old Grand Am from the side. From front on the G6 does have such a front heavy look to it.

This is good, that diesel will be brought to the states, but will it pass California emissions? if not why even bring it to america? if VW can get 45-50 mpg on a desiel, i think GM can get 55-60, on a moderatly powered car, and if you are concerned on 3$ for diesel, you might be a little happier if 30$ (assuming 50 mpg) can get you 500 miles, compared to the Malibu's 35 mpg where it would cost 42.85$ (assuming both gas and dsl are 3$) to go the same distance...