Sign in to follow this  
mwaters

Lincoln MKS V8

Looks like the MKS will get the Yamaha V8 after all (see Autoblog story). So will Lincoln eventually get a new rear-drive flagship? Town Car? Continental? Aussie Falcon platform?

The MKS was doomed to fail without a v8. Maybe it will be less pathetic now.

213124[/snapback]

I used to think the MKS was doomed to fail, but its bland design and indifferent look may actually connect with the well to do lemmings. And a v8 will be an advantage. So maybe that's what they are going for.

WTF is the MKS again... I'm having trouble remembering

all the alphabet soup crap. Is that the crossover or the

continental replacement?

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8f138/cmd.233/enclosure..ee8f139

WTF is this Acura TSX with an uglier grille thing?

God there's NOT ONE ORIGINAL IDEA in this

car's styling. Not one! From the Grand Prix/GTP

heat extractor in the fender to the Aura taillights.

...and where does this leave the Zephyr/MK-Z?

Edited by Sixty8panther

...and where does this leave the Zephyr/MK-Z?

213383[/snapback]

It's above the MKZ... if the MKZ is to the CTS, then the MKS is to the STS, so to speak..

my guess is the MKS will arrive with two engines....an enlarged new Duratec v6, maybe 3.7 to 4.0 litres. Then, it will offer the Yamahammer v8. They can cover the upper entry lux market with the v6 and the v8 gives them cred to be compared with the M45's, the STS....even if it won't be 100% as sophisticated.

If they don't offer the v8, then they will NEED to twin turbo the v6, to save face.

Where Lincoln is going, the MkZ is to slot between a TSX and TL in my opinion. Then, the MKs would be something better than a TL or ES Lexus.......but not a 100% balls to balls competitor with an STS or 5 series. Maybe an A6 on a budget with a bit of Japanese flavor is what Lincoln is shooting for here. Lincoln is purposely trying to make their cars feel non traditional domestic. Makes sense, the LS didn't sell and the new Vanilla Zephyr is selling very well.

I see a new Town Car in the future...so Lincoln will have the MKs, MKz, and the Town Car. That's all they need if they also have Milans in the showroom. I question whether a Montego is needed with this lineup. Lincoln may need a smaller crossover. The MKx is a good start but its larger.

Lincoln badly needs an image car......a two seat convertible and some sort of sports car.

I think the MKs may be trying to be the car that someone who buys an A6, or E class or 5 series buys a car for gadgets and supeflouous fluff and is not totally requiring top chassis hardware. And the sort of person that doesn't want the sanitized mediocrity of say, an Acura RL.

Edited by regfootball

That looks like a freekin' Jetta sized car... it's supposed to compete

with the STS? That's so damn assanine that it makes perfect sense

since it is Ford after all, right? I wonder if there will be a Jaguar &

Volvo variant down the line or do I have it backwards? :wacko:

That looks like a freekin' Jetta sized car... it's supposed to compete

with the STS? That's so damn assanine that it makes perfect sense

since it is Ford after all, right? I wonder if there will be a Jaguar &

Volvo variant down the line or do I have it backwards? :wacko:

213396[/snapback]

Hardly..it's a bigger car than the STS...as far as Volvo, I wonder if the MKS is derived from the new Volvo S80 platform (or the current Five Hundred/Montego platform?)

Wheelbase 114.4 in. (2906 mm)

Overall length 203.8 in. (5176 mm)

Lincoln MKS specs

Edited by moltar

I don't know about that sciguy. Lincoln already has the customer service satisfaction, attractive dealership chain, free maint for 3y/36k and the 4y/50k warranty. If executed well and priced right, the MKS could do very well. I bet a Luxury sedan with AWD, 6-sp auto, and approx 300hp has a better chance at Lincoln than at Acura. If successful, maybe the V8 could come a year later.

As for the MKZ just appealing to Lincoln's traditional buyers (this was mentioned in another topic)... I can't picture what traditional Lincoln buyer that's being referred to. The MKZ has heritage styling but it's completely contemporary and modern... along with the new High-HP V6 and AWD. I just can't picture an AWD compact sport sedan appealing to 70 year old Towncar or Continental buyers.

I just can't picture an AWD compact sport sedan appealing to 70 year old Towncar or Continental buyers.

213425[/snapback]

Price. You can load up a Zephyr with Vogue tires, chrome everywhere, trunk rack, and a vinyl top for less than a TC. I'm not kidding either.

Price. You can load up a Zephyr with Vogue tires, chrome everywhere, trunk rack, and a vinyl top for less than a TC. I'm not kidding either.

213428[/snapback]

Come on Fly... Towncars sell at 65% or less of their MSRP. I can't see price being a dominating factor. It may convince some traditional buyers, but they won't be comfortable with the results. The majority of MKZ sales are to non-Lincoln owners. I think a few articles have already mentioned that.

The MKX will do the same.

WTF is the MKS again... I'm having trouble remembering

all the alphabet soup crap. Is that the crossover or the

continental replacement?

213380[/snapback]

The MKS is the larger fwd LS replacement—same size as the Buick Lucerne.

MKS might make a good poor man's S80.

213462[/snapback]

I have a strong suspicion that the Lincoln MKS will bury the new S80 in sales if it comes out similar to the concept. I've seen the new S80. The exterior is too conservative and restrained. It has the same overall visual presence of the 1st gen S80.

I remember reading an article a while back that Fields had the sheet metal for the production MKS changed to look "more American." Since we don't actually know anything yet on what it will look like or how it will be powered, I think it's premature to say the MKS is doomed.

I remember reading an article a while back that Fields had the sheet metal for the production MKS changed to look "more American."  Since we don't actually know anything yet on what it will look like or how it will be powered, I think it's premature to say the MKS is doomed.

213718[/snapback]

I remember reading about this, hopefully they left that interior intact.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook