Chrysler CT Program Axed

Dragon

Link? This is interesting. Maybe Chrysler thought it wouldn't have a chance against the Lambdas and NG Pilot, Highlander, etc.

When is the Pacifica scheduled to end production? This would be great for the Enclave, even though there would be no reason to buy a Pacifica over an Enclave except price.

This would be great for the Enclave, even though there would be no reason to buy a Pacifica over an Enclave except price.

213120[/snapback]

It would be a tough call considering that we know nothing about the next-generation Pacifica. :blink:

I can't say I didn't see this coming. This vehicle is too much like a minivan and too dull to make a big enough dent in the crossover segment to be profitable. They need to start from scratch. Maybe come out with a crossover that's bold and geared more towards the average SUV buyer. Something Ford is doing with the Edge/MKX, upcoming Fairline, and what GM is doing with its Lambda triplets.

This is really one of their best vehicles, and has a terrific outside look and interior, along with being the perfect size for most people. And with the new 4.0L and 6-speed, is apparently quite quick now compared to the "original".

They sell well here and I know several people with them who love them, so I just don't see this happening, unless there's more information missing....where'd the report come from?

The current Pacifica is built on it's own unique platform.  They will probably discontinue using this unique platform, and build a new crossover on a different shared platform.  Maybe the next gen LX platform, called LY??

That was the plan...that's the vehicle that has been cancelled.

That sucks, I always liked the Pacifica, and the update makes it even more attractive, with the nicer headlight design, 4.0 V6 and 6-speed auto. Plus I hear the interior is probably the nicest you'll find in a Chrysler. So it's on it's own platform? Just modify it for the next gen...at least then Chrysler has something that's not just a Dodge underneath.

Edited by Dodgefan

This is really one of their best vehicles, and has a terrific outside look and interior, along with being the perfect size for most people.  And with the new 4.0L and 6-speed, is apparently quite quick now compared to the "original".

They sell well here and I know several people with them who love them, so I just don't see this happening, unless there's more information missing....where'd the report come from?

213237[/snapback]

yes, the new 4.0/6 sp is very quick....i've driven one.

my guess here is DCX is just gonna milk this wagon for about 7 more years. they sell well and folks who shop for town and country's but don't like the minivan image get steered into them. you can get them cheap.

The current Pacifica is built on it's own unique platform.  They will probably discontinue using this unique platform, and build a new crossover on a different shared platform.  Maybe the next gen LX platform, called LY??

213137[/snapback]

I thought LY was the designation given to the underpinnings for the Challenger? Or is that an LX, too?

I thought LY was the designation given to the underpinnings for the Challenger? Or is that an LX, too?

213333[/snapback]

They called the concept a "modified LX" but if I recall riht, the next gen Charger/300/Magnum(?) and the Challenger will be LY...which is a futher evolution of the LX platform.

Anyway, I see a lot of Pacificas on the rad...why not redesign a popular car? Where's the logic in that? It sold poorly the first year cuz of bad priceing/optioning. After they fixed it they seemed to be everywhere.

The chasis was cancelled. In theory, it could rear its head again on a shared platform, perhaps the RT chasis of the Caravan.

I'm pretty sure the Challenger's program is the LC23 with the LY being the next gen

(EDIT: Scratch "pretty sure", I am sure)

Edited by Dragon

Link? This is interesting. Maybe Chrysler thought it wouldn't have a chance against the Lambdas and NG Pilot, Highlander, etc.

When is the Pacifica scheduled to end production? This would be great for the Enclave, even though there would be no reason to buy a Pacifica over an Enclave except price.

213120[/snapback]

Or perhaps Chrysler just wanted to move it in a different direction... The current model is starting to age a little bit and will need to be pumped up next to the Lambdas (and possibly the 2009 Ford D471) but its not that bad overall-I support redesigning it onto the Town & Country platform before moving it to LY, so now I just wonder what they're doing like everyone else.

3 possible platforms that would make sense for the next Pacifica--LX (a RWD/AWD crossover would be an interesting twist), the next minivan platform, or the Grand Cherokee/Commander platform (with a wheelbase stretch)...

Not so fast!

Chrysler has told them to stop work on the next generation Pacifica.

But, we don't know if it is truly cancelled or just postponed until Chrysler gets its crap together.

And, the Pacifica is NOT on an entirely unique platform. It shares many components with the minivans; including their cancelled AWD system. Please visit allpar.com for more accurate information.

• 4 weeks later...

So what, they're going to exit this market (that they pretty much created) entirely?

So what, they're going to exit this market (that they pretty much created) entirely?

225170[/snapback]

That would be an incredibly stupid move on their part, especially since Crossovers are all the rage now. Ditch the Aspen and make a better Pacifica.

I sat in a 2007....it is extremely nice with very good materials. The center armrest almost feels like suede.

well thereis still the possibilty, as mentioned before, that it could go on another chasis, like the RT.

Though I have heard that they not only cancelled the chasis program, but they have also sent out stop work orders on other components such as seat frames.

Edited by Dragon

well thereis still the possibilty, as mentioned before, that it could go on another chasis, like the RT.

Though I have heard that they not only cancelled the chasis program, but they have also sent out stop work orders on other components such as seat frames.

225316[/snapback]

The Pacifica will either be rethought as a more minivan-like alternative (as the DCX mini's will not have AWD) or go on the platform underpining the Sebring/Avenger based x-overs that are currently in development.

I believe this may have more to do with plant flexibility issues and capacity (with one minivan plant on the chopping block due to recent $ issues, it may leave less room for production) or perhaps DCX is considering a larger x-over to combine Pacifica with Aspen and MB products.) It has been reported that future E-class and Alabama trucks will share much more underpinings with Chrysler products.)

• 2 weeks later...

The Pacifica will either be rethought as a more minivan-like alternative (as the DCX mini's will not have AWD) or go on the platform underpining the Sebring/Avenger based x-overs that are currently in development.

I believe this may have more to do with plant flexibility issues and capacity (with one minivan plant on the chopping block due to recent $ issues, it may leave less room for production) or perhaps DCX is considering a larger x-over to combine Pacifica with Aspen and MB products.) It has been reported that future E-class and Alabama trucks will share much more underpinings with Chrysler products.)

225355[/snapback]

Looks like it will share the underpinings of the Sebring/Avenger.....

http://news.windingroad.com/trends/spied-n...jc49-crossover/

Screw that.. transverse motros SUX!

Make the next Pacifica a taller Magnum with a a litle more ride height.

I'll take the LX platform anyday over the lame minivan chassis.

Um, why doesn't Chrysler just use the same architecture, but reengineer it to be more modern and effective?

Something like a thorough update, but not all-new underneath.

I agree that Chrysler needs to ditch the Aspen.

The Pacifica has the best interior of any Chrysler product right now. The LX cars come in second. Motor Trend called the interior of the Pacifica to have (I'm paraphrasing here) a "high quality look and feel, almost approaching VW/Audi standards".

Um, why doesn't Chrysler just use the same architecture, but reengineer it to be more modern and effective?

Something like a thorough update, but not all-new underneath.

I agree that Chrysler needs to ditch the Aspen.

The Pacifica has the best interior of any Chrysler product right now. The LX cars come in second. Motor Trend called the interior of the Pacifica to have (I'm paraphrasing here) a "high quality look and feel, almost approaching VW/Audi standards".

229456[/snapback]

Tha's what I was thinking...just update the platform to make it more space efficient....the interior really is very nice.

Tha's what I was thinking...just update the platform to make it more space efficient....the interior really is very nice.

229488[/snapback]

I'm driving one right now. It's got a great interior (for Chrysler) but the interior space and driving experience leave something to be desired.

I like the tall Magnum approach suggested above. Right now its a fancy minivan with a decent rear suspension...if Chrysler would like to move upscale, the chassis needs a complete make-over, not just a redo.

Has it got the 4.0L and the six-speed auto? I've heard and read that was a great combo.

229503[/snapback]

It's an 06, so it doesn't have the upgraded powertrain, unfortunately. It's a 6 passenger model, FWD---basically a touring model (4 sp., 3.5 V6).

It drives like a decent DCX minivan. The interior is nicely equipped (I guess they did away with the base-base model), but I can't endorse it as anything more than a very good looking, space inefficient minivan...

I'm a little spoiled, as I drive lots of different cars for extended periods, but this one isn't exactly my cup of tea. A little more power couldn't hurt, but I think the chassis needs work.

Has it got the 4.0L and the six-speed auto? I've heard and read that was a great combo.

229503[/snapback]

It's an 06, so it doesn't have the upgraded powertrain, unfortunately. It's a 6 passenger model, FWD---basically a touring model (4 sp., 3.5 V6).

It drives like a decent DCX minivan. The interior is nicely equipped (I guess they did away with the base-base model), but I can't endorse it as anything more than a very good looking, space inefficient minivan...

I'm a little spoiled, as I drive lots of different cars for extended periods, but this one isn't exactly my cup of tea. A little more power couldn't hurt, but I think the chassis needs work.

It drives like a decent DCX minivan.

230185[/snapback]

OK. I happen to like the Pacifica, but I would understand that it's driving experience might be underwhelming. It is the minivan frame, and it seems better suited to cruising than performance anyway.

I guess if you wanted fun, you'd spring for the Magnum.