• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Consumer Reports Tips Hat to Ford

Consumer Reports tips hat to Ford

22 models get recommendations

November 9, 2006

BY SARAH A. WEBSTER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Posted Image

Ford Motor Co. has scored some bold play for its bold new moves.

The Ford Fusion sedan, launched in September 2005, has landed on the cover of Consumer Reports' influential new car and truck preview.

The Fusion and its catchy chrome-bar grille share the cover with the Toyota Yaris subcompact car.

Toyota Motor Corp. led all automakers with 31 models recommended by the magazine, which went on sale a day in advance of the official release date.

But Ford performed admirably, landing firmly in second place with 22 recommended models. It had 17 a year ago.

Among domestic rivals, Ford has the most recommended models. General Motors Corp. has 16, and Chrysler has six.

Ford beat Honda Motor Co., which has 16, and Nissan Motor Co., with seven.

Ford was celebrating the news late Wednesday.

"It's a confirmation that we are doing things right," said Bennie Fowler, vice president of global quality and advanced and manufacturing engineering.

"The quality at Ford Motor Co. today is as good as any import. ... I would like to invite consumers to test drive a Ford. They walked away from us before, but it's really time for people to come back and give it a try."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../611090316/1014

Edited by mustang84

I would like to see what models they recommended. I can see the F-150, Mustang, Fusion, Milan, MKZ, and maybe the Expedition but how did they get to 22?

I'm not sure if this is right or what they are listing as Ford Motor Co., but here is what I've gathered off ConsumerReports.com

Ford Crown Victoria, Ford Five Hundred sedan SEL 3.0 3.0, Ford Five Hundred sedan SEL 3.0 3.0 CVT, Ford Focus wagon SE, Ford Focus sedan ZX4 ST MT, Ford Focus sedan ZX4 SES, Ford Focus hatchback ZX5, Ford Mustang coupe V8 MT, Ford Taurus, Lincoln Town Car, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Mazda RX-8, Mazda3 sedan i 2.0, Mazda3 sedan i 2.0 MT, Mazda3 hatchback s Grand Touring 2.3, Mazda6 sedan 4-cyl, Mazda6 wagon V6, Mercury Grand Marquis, Mercury Montego sedan SEL 3.0 3.0 CVT, Mercury Montego sedan SEL 3.0 3.0, Volvo S40, Volvo S60, Volvo S80, Volvo V70/XC70.

That's 24, not 22. I can't figure it out.

This was posted at BON:

Ford: Focus, Fusion, Five Hundred, Crown Victoria, Freestyle

Mercury: Milan, Montego, Grand Marquis

Lincoln: Zephyr, Town Car

Mazda: MX-5, 3, 5, 6

Volvo: S40, S60

That's 16.

Add in Ford Taurus, Volvo V70, Volvo S80/XC70 that Derek77 posted, that's 19. So I don't think they are going by trim levels, but there are three somewhere that are missing.

wow, you know, this could do more to raise Ford's rep towards toyota than anything else. this is great news for rebuilding ford. Dull is dull, but CR carries a lot of weight with the 95% of the public that does not read car and drivel.

All the better news for Ford. I would rather Ford pushes GM to their limits rather than toyota or honda.

Congrats to everyone at Ford for working hard to get there.

Quote: "Among domestic rivals, Ford has the most recommended models. General Motors Corp. has 16, and Chrysler has six."

IT Ford Motor Corp for pete sakes!!!

:duh:

LOL the GM, Crown Vic, 500, Taurus and Freestyle made it?

214159[/snapback]

like it or not, they are all damn reliable. we just don't see them coming in with problems, even little ones. makes me prooud, although back in the day i could count on our uh, less than reliable, cars to get a good bonus due to lots of warranty work.

like it or not, they are all damn reliable. we just don't see them coming in with problems, even little ones. makes me prooud, although back in the day i could count on our uh, less than reliable, cars to get a good bonus due to lots of warranty work.

214204[/snapback]

Agreed. My grandpa drives been driving Panthers for 20 years, and those suckers just don't die. His 2000 Vic has over 100,000 miles on it right now and it's still solid as ever.

People lambast the Five Hundred and Freestyle, but they're not bad cars at all. Ignoring power issues, they're a good package and according to the TrueDelta guy, the Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Fusion are all proving to be extremely reliable.

Ford doesn't get enough credit for all the strides in quality they have been making over the last few years.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.